Let's Talk About Shirataki Noodles

Options

Replies

• Kari089
    Kari089 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    wow I have a box in my kitchen that I thought I would never eat if you hadn't shared the dry fry method. I'm done with my daily calories today but will definitely give them a go tomorrow. So excited! I thought those were history. :) Cheers
  • starrygirl82
    starrygirl82 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post!! I've been wanting to try them but haven't had luck finding them. I think there's a Whole Foods store close by.
  • dancingemu
    Options
    We can find them in supermarkets in Australia under this brand name

http://www.changs.com/products/view-products?id=493c3043c9d33dad1e4ef5b23e531c4b&key=GKA5Wq

Thanks for the cooking tips !
  • crazydv
    crazydv Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • Aprill42
    Aprill42 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    bump
  • adeedoos
    adeedoos Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had to figure this out on my own. By the third attempt I dry fryed mine and have been useing them for my fake fettechini ever since.
    I will say that dry frying does improve the texture, but they are still a little "chewy" to me.
    Is this because I am useing the ones with Tofu? Because if the ones with out Tofu have even better txture after this methed....I am going to search these babies down!
    -Adri
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stargazer008
    Options
    They are helpful when you want to indulge and luckily I can find the noodles across the street from my home.
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    thank you for this very informative post!
  • BeachyBecky
    BeachyBecky Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering if these are any good. Do you eat them like as a pasta with red sauce? Gonna run to whole foods tomorrow. Thanks
  • high0nlife
    Options
    Thanks for posting this Ive been wondering about them but heard that they smell bad or taste weird and such. Cant wait to give them a try!
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering if these are any good. Do you eat them like as a pasta with red sauce? Gonna run to whole foods tomorrow. Thanks

I eat them many ways-- including with red sauce.

When I use red sauce I find that it tastes best if I:

1) dry fry the noodles, as described in the post, then
    2) add the sauce to the pan and continue to fry (like you'd do with leftover spaghetti).

I love fried leftover spaghetti-- especially when it's low-cal shirataki...!
  • finallychelle
    Options
    I had to figure this out on my own. By the third attempt I dry fryed mine and have been useing them for my fake fettechini ever since.
    I will say that dry frying does improve the texture, but they are still a little "chewy" to me.
    Is this because I am useing the ones with Tofu? Because if the ones with out Tofu have even better txture after this methed....I am going to search these babies down!
    -Adri

The difference in texture isn't terribly different between the tofu and non-tofu. I switch back and forth between them depending on what the best price is. (Currently I'm getting 8oz of tofu shirataki for $1.35/bag at our Asian market.)

Try dry-frying them a little longer. If you're still not absolutely satisfied, try dry-frying some bean sprouts WITH the shirataki noodles. They really seem to compliment each other. I like to dry fry the combination of the two until the bean sprouts just start to brown-- that's when they're the best!

-Chelle
  • finallychelle
    Options
    Chelle,

I truly love you!!

It's good to be loved...! (Thanks!)

-Chelle
  • finallychelle
    Options
    I found them at Harris Teeter today. 2 for $3

When I'm in Hilton Head I buy them at Harris Teeter, too. They're high as a kite on just about everything else but they're very reasonable on tofu shirataki noodles and bean sprouts-- two things that I eat a lot of.

Glad you found them!

-Chelle
  • finallychelle
    Options
    Bump. Ur my hero. I got 6 bags and made one and they were too gross to eat-.and I'm adventurous! Will get them back out of the fridge and give em a fry THANKS FOR THE POST!

Dry fry them for as long as you dare. They won't burn and they won't stick.

I like them bone dry.

Let me know how you make out!

-Chelle
  • finallychelle
    Options
    Thanks Chelle. Because of you and your post about these noodles, I have successfully sought them out (both the Tofu and non-tofu kind) and eat them nearly every day. I like using the Tofu kind in the Hungry Girl Fetticcini Girlfredo and the non-tofu kind added to green onions & minced garlic sauteed in butter flavored cooking spray. I add some fresh chopped parsley and have a great meal!! I usually cook up three one pound bags with three cloves of garlic minced and three bulbs of green onions chopped(stalks and all) and the entire 3 lb recipe is only 20 or so calories!! This is my lunch for the week. Also, my husband & I had the Girlfredo with a side of steamed fresh broccoli for dinner last night. He likes them, too!! THANK YOU for the find!!

Way to go! Sounds delicious-- and you can't beat those low calories!

Great job!

-Chelle
  • finallychelle
    Options
    I haven't read every post in the forum, but besides fiber, do they have any other nutritional benefit? I have tried them, and while they were tolerable, I have a hard time eating 'fillers'. I would rather eat something filling and nutrionally dense. I eat more food now than before I started losing. Not as many calories for sure, but I am rarely hungry and I eat great meals. Not saying its wrong to eat foods that make you stay full, just hard for me to 'digest' lol

Well you'd have to rule out cabbage, celery, bean sprouts, bok choy, etc...!

My philosophy is that I use filler foods to provide bulk so that I can eat higher calorie, nutritionally dense foods WITH them. I need to be full-- 'cause if I'm hungry I don't do very well on my diet.

If you check out my MFP blog I wrote a series of posts called "FinallyChelle's Fabulously Fit Lifestyle." One of those is specifically devoted to "bulks." There are also posts on how to eat out without blowing your diet (yet still leaving full, like everyone else) and how to keep flavor in your life while you're losing weight.

I hope you'll consider more low cal bulky foods in your diet-- then you can eat (smaller amounts of) the yummy high-cal flavors that you thought you left behind...!

-Chelle
  • jynckz
    jynckz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I haven't read every post in the forum, but besides fiber, do they have any other nutritional benefit? I have tried them, and while they were tolerable, I have a hard time eating 'fillers'. I would rather eat something filling and nutrionally dense. I eat more food now than before I started losing. Not as many calories for sure, but I am rarely hungry and I eat great meals. Not saying its wrong to eat foods that make you stay full, just hard for me to 'digest' lol

Well you'd have to rule out cabbage, celery, bean sprouts, bok choy, etc...!

My philosophy is that I use filler foods to provide bulk so that I can eat higher calorie, nutritionally dense foods WITH them. I need to be full-- 'cause if I'm hungry I don't do very well on my diet.

If you check out my MFP blog I wrote a series of posts called "FinallyChelle's Fabulously Fit Lifestyle." One of those is specifically devoted to "bulks." There are also posts on how to eat out without blowing your diet (yet still leaving full, like everyone else) and how to keep flavor in your life while you're losing weight.

I hope you'll consider more low cal bulky foods in your diet-- then you can eat (smaller amounts of) the yummy high-cal flavors that you thought you left behind...!

-Chelle

I don't disagree really, just going about it differently. I don't miss the high cal/fat/sodium foods. I stopped eating them because they didn't fit into my new life. I do want to lose weight, and I am losing weight, but it is more than just weight loss for me. I guess I have become an extremist in what I eat. I couldn't imagine putting those unhealthy things in my body again.

I do eat cabbage sometimes, it does at least have vitamin C lol.. I don't eat it as a filler though, just enjoy the taste!

I am still figuring out this new life of mine and sometimes I may say things just to stir up some debate, or get another side of the story :)
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Made these again last night...this time used a half a tablespoon of coconut oil for the whole package to fry them until the liquid was gone.... along with green curry paste, tablespoon of thai chili garlic... they came out MUCH much better texture wise!~ With the coconut oil, curry and garlic chili... came to 43 cals a serving... ( used the 0 cal, all shirataki ones) VERY much worth those cals. Put them in the fridge to cool... and then mixed them with a can of tuna ( 100 cals) and tbsp of reduced cal olive oil mayo (45 cals).. some drived basil, salt, pepper and dash of tabasco ( i love spicey ;)....

it was SERIOUSLY the best tuna salad I'd ever had! The coconut oil method made them taste more like rice noodles, didn't even notice a texture issue... :) VERY worth the 43 cals...and if you did them with just plain ol' garlic , basil and the coconut oil to make more of an italian taste for spagetti dishes, it would be even less...32 cals or so.... :) no regular noodle can be that low! Even adding 20 cals for the tofu mixed ones, still worth it! My whole dinner last night was only 188 cals! :)