Options

Replies

• sunshinel397
    Options
    BUMP!
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Chelle, is it ok to heat it up? Will it still good the next day?

Absolutely! They reheat wonderfully!
  • samtrois
    samtrois Posts: 27
    Options
    Man I love these noodles, Only ones available to me are angelhair/ramen style, so I only use them 1-2 times a week in asian dishes/stir frys.

Anyone not using these is doing them self a disservice re their weight loss.

I just wish I could find more thicker/pasta like substitutes, like penne/fettucini.
  • DeadNatchan
    Options
    The 'shirataki noodles' boom is quite new to me. The majority of my diet (not 'diet' but daily eats) is Japanese and I have been eating these noodles and my beloved konnyaku for years I didn't realise they were so popular for dieters across the world. I understand the texture can be hard to handle for some people, but the benefits of these foods are well worth it. They aren't miracle foodstuffs they are just really, really good for you! There are reasons that Japan can boast some of the oldest people in the world, these are two of them!
  • MamaBGood
    MamaBGood Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bump! Been thinking about trying these . . .
  • cargresha
    Options
    Chelle!!!! I am screaming with excitement! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the shirataki noodle..it has a glass noodle texture and what I made last night....and having it for lunch as we speak or type lol...yummmmmyyyyy.

Thank you I definitely going to explore more recipes using this awesome noodle!
  • BklynMamacita
    BklynMamacita Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bumping thanks for the recipes!
  • tinlee
    tinlee Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    BUMP

I'm looking forward to trying these.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    I will surely try this method, and this kind of shiritaki as I had the "tofo" ones and didn't care for them :frown: I put tomato sauce & grated parmesan cheese and simply didn't like the texture!. I will try them again though!..Thanks :smile:
  • aost
    aost Posts: 44
    Options
    bump
  • heygina
    heygina Posts: 78
    Options
    Bump. Ur my hero. I got 6 bags and made one and they were too gross to eat-.and I'm adventurous! Will get them back out of the fridge and give em a fry THANKS FOR THE POST!
  • JackLeaMason
    JackLeaMason Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have had a hard time with the noodle texture but will try the dry fry. The company makes other shapes as well. I use the pearls in a Thai style soup with shrimp, veggies, coconut milk and chicken stock. I call it Fish Eye Soup because the little rubbery balls are like fish eyes.

My favorite use for Konjac is the powder. I add it sparingly as a thickener for more fiber. One of my typical uses of the powder is to sprinkle a few pinches over cut pineapple. It turns the juice into a clinging glaze that, helps fill me up, delays sugar absorption, and somehow seems to make a fruit salad last longer in the fridge.

Konjac is a perfect food for diabetics and gluten restrictive diets. There is huge potential for this compound to counter the sugar full, fiber free American palate.
  • shellyfl
    shellyfl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bump
  • awalker906
    Options
    Sounds great going to find some and try.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bambee2013
    bambee2013 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    THANKS CHELLE, I STARTED RESEARCHING THEM AND FOUND THIS YUMMY LOOKING RECIPE ON TRADER JOE'S WEBSITE. I WILL LET YOU GUYS KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT.

Shrimp and Broccoli Slaw Guilt-Free Creamy Noodles

A very tasty dish that has less than half the calories of a full fat version.

Ingredients:

2 Servings

1 Tbsp Olive Oil
    1/2 garlic clove
    1 tsp Italian Seasoning (oregano,basil)
    Salt and Pepper
    8 Frozen Trader Joes Jumbo cooked shrimp thawed
    1C Trader Joes Broccoli Slaw
    3/4C Part-Skim Ricotta
    1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
    1 Package of Shirataki Spaghetti Noodles

Add Olive oil to a frying pan and brown the garlic with the salt, pepper, (to taste), and italian seasoning. Once brown add in the broccoli slaw and cook until it just starts to become
    slightly soft. Cut each thawed shrimp into a few pieces and add to the frying pan w/ broccoli slaw. Mix all ingredients well and let cook just until the shrimp is warm. Add in the shirataki noodles that you've rinsed and blotted very well with paper towels. Once noodles are coated and warm, add in the ricotta and parmesan cheese and cook for 2 minutes then turn off heat. Serve right away.
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    THANKS CHELLE, I STARTED RESEARCHING THEM AND FOUND THIS YUMMY LOOKING RECIPE ON TRADER JOE'S WEBSITE. I WILL LET YOU GUYS KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT.

Shrimp and Broccoli Slaw Guilt-Free Creamy Noodles

A very tasty dish that has less than half the calories of a full fat version.

Ingredients:

2 Servings

1 Tbsp Olive Oil
    1/2 garlic clove
    1 tsp Italian Seasoning (oregano,basil)
    Salt and Pepper
    8 Frozen Trader Joes Jumbo cooked shrimp thawed
    1C Trader Joes Broccoli Slaw
    3/4C Part-Skim Ricotta
    1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
    1 Package of Shirataki Spaghetti Noodles

Add Olive oil to a frying pan and brown the garlic with the salt, pepper, (to taste), and italian seasoning. Once brown add in the broccoli slaw and cook until it just starts to become
    slightly soft. Cut each thawed shrimp into a few pieces and add to the frying pan w/ broccoli slaw. Mix all ingredients well and let cook just until the shrimp is warm. Add in the shirataki noodles that you've rinsed and blotted very well with paper towels. Once noodles are coated and warm, add in the ricotta and parmesan cheese and cook for 2 minutes then turn off heat. Serve right away.

Sounds fab! I'm anxious for your report!
  • MariSchuitema
    Options
    bump
  • DrivenDiva
    DrivenDiva Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    There are so many questions and misconceptions about shirataki noodles that I thought I'd go ahead and do a post just about them.

I have eaten well over 300 pounds of shirataki noodles since I started my diet, 290 days ago. This website-- and shirataki noodles-- are the reason I've been so successful on my weight loss journey.

Why?

They allow me to be full. I do a lot better on my diet with I'm full.

I often say that "hungry people make lousy dieters."

Thanks to shirataki noodles I haven't been hungry for a single minute of my diet.

"But Chelle, I've never even heard of shirataki noodles..."

Then you've come to the right place.

Shirataki noodles are made from a Japanese yam (that isn't actually a yam, but it IS a vegetable) instead of wheat or rice. They aren't exactly like pasta noodles-- but they're awful durn close-- and they have zero (or close to zero, depending on what brand you buy) calories.

"What? Noodles with zero calories? You can't be serious???"

I'm serious.

They dry the yam and grind it into a powder/flour-- then make noodles from it. I'm sure you can think of lots of vegetables that have practically zero calories-- and the konjac plant (the Japanese yam I mentioned) is one of them.

Depending on how they process them hey come out nearly clear-- or dark brown. I have eaten both kinds and there is very little difference.

They come packaged in water and, technically, are "ready to eat," although I don't care for them straight out of the package.

When you first open the bag you will notice a slightly fishy odor. Get over it. A quick rinse with hot water and the smell will be completely gone.

You can heat them up lots of ways, but there is only one way to cook them, in my opinion-- dry fry them.

Simply spray a pan with non-stick cooking spray and cook them, on high, until they're bone dry. (about 8 minutes) By cooking them in this fashion the end result is much closer to wheat or rice noodles.

"But Chelle, I've HAD shirataki noodles and I didn't like them."

Did you dry-fry them?

I didn't think so.

Go dry fry a batch and then come back and tell me you don't like them. You'll be singing a different tune.

"Chelle, I just found some at the supermarket and they say that they're 40 calories for a half pound bag. Why would you lie to us like that?"

You bought TOFU shirataki noodles. Tofu HAS calories-- shirataki flour does not.

When you buy shirataki noodles that have been blended with tofu you'll find the appearance and texture are closer to wheat pasta-- but when you add tofu it contributes some calories.

Plus-- tofu has to be refrigerated.

So if you have to order shirataki noodles online you'll only be able to get them without the tofu since there is no way to refrigerate them on the way to you.

"Chelle, I just bought some shirataki noodles without tofu blended in and they say you should keep them refrigerated."

I've noticed that some brands say that-- and I won't recommend that you ignore manufacturer's recommendations-- but everything I've read says that shirataki noodles do not have to be refrigerated.

Perhaps refrigeration extends the shelf life-- I don't know.

What I DO know is that I only refrigerate my shirataki noodles if I have room in the 'fridge. Since I've eaten over 300 pounds of them and I'm not dead (yet) I'm going to continue doing what I've been doing.

"Where can I buy these, Chelle? I didn't see them in my grocery store."

The BEST place to buy them is in Asian grocery stores. There are 5 within a half hour of my house-- and I live in rural Georgia. Your next best bet is in a health food or grocery store, and your last resort is online (where you'd have to pay for shipping).

Half pound bags of shirataki noodles cost me $1.29 at the Asian market and $2.00 at Whole Foods.

Half pound bags of tofu shirataki noodles cost me $1.49 at the Asian market, $1.49 at Harris Teeter (grocery store), $2.29 at Publix and $2.49 at Kroger. (You'll find them in the refrigerated produce section with the tofu products.)

"So what do I do with them after I dry fry them?"

Practically anything. I make them too many ways to count. I find that I get on "kicks." I'll make them in various Asian styles for a few weeks, then I'll combine them with crushed tomatoes and come up with various Italian concoctions for awhile, then I'll use various Cuban mojo sauces (all zero or nearly zero calories) and then I'll go back to just Smart Balance, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

I also use them when I make Pho (I love to cook Vietnamese). I also stuff whole chickens with them. They're extremely versatile.

Once you dry fry them they microwave very nicely-- so if you want to take leftovers to work, for lunch, feel free.

I also frequently dry fry them with bean sprouts. They seem to really compliment each other and the bean sprouts get extra yummy once they just start to brown. (The bean sprouts don't reheat in the microwave quite as nicely.)

If you'd like to look at lots of low-calorie recipes (most of them are original to me) you can check out my MFP blog here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/finallychelle/view/my-lo-cal-recipe-collection-195763

There are newer posts in my blog that haven't made it into my list so I would recommend perusing around in there for other tips and recipes.

I'm a fearless and adventurous cook and I've done a pretty fair job of taking the calories out of my recipes without taking out the taste, too.

My cauliflower mashed potato recipe (original to me) has practically made me famous.

Well, sort of.

Here.

On MFP. (Everything's relative.)

I DO get tons of emails about it, though.

So go buy some shirataki noodles and stuff your face-- then watch the pounds just fall off while you do it.

It sounds too good to be true-- but it really IS true.

-theneverhungrydieterchelle

I've been wanting to try these but haven't found them in my area yet..........your post has double motivated me to FIND SOME!!! You've done awesome!!!