Let's Talk About Shirataki Noodles

finallychelle
finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
There are so many questions and misconceptions about shirataki noodles that I thought I'd go ahead and do a post just about them.

I have eaten well over 300 pounds of shirataki noodles since I started my diet, 290 days ago. This website-- and shirataki noodles-- are the reason I've been so successful on my weight loss journey.

Why?

They allow me to be full. I do a lot better on my diet with I'm full.

I often say that "hungry people make lousy dieters."

Thanks to shirataki noodles I haven't been hungry for a single minute of my diet.

"But Chelle, I've never even heard of shirataki noodles..."

Then you've come to the right place.

Shirataki noodles are made from a Japanese yam (that isn't actually a yam, but it IS a vegetable) instead of wheat or rice. They aren't exactly like pasta noodles-- but they're awful durn close-- and they have zero (or close to zero, depending on what brand you buy) calories.

"What? Noodles with zero calories? You can't be serious???"

I'm serious.

They dry the yam and grind it into a powder/flour-- then make noodles from it. I'm sure you can think of lots of vegetables that have practically zero calories-- and the konjac plant (the Japanese yam I mentioned) is one of them.

Depending on how they process them hey come out nearly clear-- or dark brown. I have eaten both kinds and there is very little difference.

They come packaged in water and, technically, are "ready to eat," although I don't care for them straight out of the package.

When you first open the bag you will notice a slightly fishy odor. Get over it. A quick rinse with hot water and the smell will be completely gone.

You can heat them up lots of ways, but there is only one way to cook them, in my opinion-- dry fry them.

Simply spray a pan with non-stick cooking spray and cook them, on high, until they're bone dry. (about 8 minutes) By cooking them in this fashion the end result is much closer to wheat or rice noodles.

"But Chelle, I've HAD shirataki noodles and I didn't like them."

Did you dry-fry them?

I didn't think so.

Go dry fry a batch and then come back and tell me you don't like them. You'll be singing a different tune.

"Chelle, I just found some at the supermarket and they say that they're 40 calories for a half pound bag. Why would you lie to us like that?"

You bought TOFU shirataki noodles. Tofu HAS calories-- shirataki flour does not.

When you buy shirataki noodles that have been blended with tofu you'll find the appearance and texture are closer to wheat pasta-- but when you add tofu it contributes some calories.

Plus-- tofu has to be refrigerated.

So if you have to order shirataki noodles online you'll only be able to get them without the tofu since there is no way to refrigerate them on the way to you.

"Chelle, I just bought some shirataki noodles without tofu blended in and they say you should keep them refrigerated."

I've noticed that some brands say that-- and I won't recommend that you ignore manufacturer's recommendations-- but everything I've read says that shirataki noodles do not have to be refrigerated.

Perhaps refrigeration extends the shelf life-- I don't know.

What I DO know is that I only refrigerate my shirataki noodles if I have room in the 'fridge. Since I've eaten over 300 pounds of them and I'm not dead (yet) I'm going to continue doing what I've been doing.

"Where can I buy these, Chelle? I didn't see them in my grocery store."

The BEST place to buy them is in Asian grocery stores. There are 5 within a half hour of my house-- and I live in rural Georgia. Your next best bet is in a health food or grocery store, and your last resort is online (where you'd have to pay for shipping).

Half pound bags of shirataki noodles cost me $1.29 at the Asian market and $2.00 at Whole Foods.

Half pound bags of tofu shirataki noodles cost me $1.49 at the Asian market, $1.49 at Harris Teeter (grocery store), $2.29 at Publix and $2.49 at Kroger. (You'll find them in the refrigerated produce section with the tofu products.)

"So what do I do with them after I dry fry them?"

Practically anything. I make them too many ways to count. I find that I get on "kicks." I'll make them in various Asian styles for a few weeks, then I'll combine them with crushed tomatoes and come up with various Italian concoctions for awhile, then I'll use various Cuban mojo sauces (all zero or nearly zero calories) and then I'll go back to just Smart Balance, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

I also use them when I make Pho (I love to cook Vietnamese). I also stuff whole chickens with them. They're extremely versatile.

Once you dry fry them they microwave very nicely-- so if you want to take leftovers to work, for lunch, feel free.

I also frequently dry fry them with bean sprouts. They seem to really compliment each other and the bean sprouts get extra yummy once they just start to brown. (The bean sprouts don't reheat in the microwave quite as nicely.)

If you'd like to look at lots of low-calorie recipes (most of them are original to me) you can check out my MFP blog here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/finallychelle/view/my-lo-cal-recipe-collection-195763

There are newer posts in my blog that haven't made it into my list so I would recommend perusing around in there for other tips and recipes.

I'm a fearless and adventurous cook and I've done a pretty fair job of taking the calories out of my recipes without taking out the taste, too.

My cauliflower mashed potato recipe (original to me) has practically made me famous.

Well, sort of.

Here.

On MFP. (Everything's relative.)

I DO get tons of emails about it, though.

So go buy some shirataki noodles and stuff your face-- then watch the pounds just fall off while you do it.

It sounds too good to be true-- but it really IS true.

-theneverhungrydieterchelle

Replies

• SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Glad you posted this, I've been wondering about those...
  • finallychelle
    Glad you posted this, I've been wondering about those...

They truly are a godsend!
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    LOVE the post Chelle! I grew up eating these noodles (my mother from Japan) so it cracks me up to see all they hype. However, I have never prepared them in the dry-fry method you mentioned. I have only used them in traditional stir-fry type dishes and once I used them in a Chinese Chicken Salad in place of crunchy ramen noodles.

I cant wait to go home and try the dry-fry! (my inner foodie geekness is coming out....) Also looking forward to checking out your blog for more shiratiki ideas!

ps: Asian Markets in rural Georgia? Hah, who'dda thunk it! I gotta get out more! lolll!
  • finallychelle
    LOVE the post Chelle! I grew up eating these noodles (my mother from Japan) so it cracks me up to see all they hype. However, I have never prepared them in the dry-fry method you mentioned. I have only used them in traditional stir-fry type dishes and once I used them in a Chinese Chicken Salad in place of crunchy ramen noodles.

I cant wait to go home and try the dry-fry! (my inner foodie geekness is coming out....) Also looking forward to checking out your blog for more shiratiki ideas!

ps: Asian Markets in rural Georgia? Hah, who'dda thunk it! I gotta get out more! lolll!

I love it!

I suspect that stir frying the noodles, as you do, accomplishes pretty much the same thing as my dry fry method-- so you may not notice a huge difference.

As for the Asian markets-- we have an Air Force Base about 40 minutes away, so I have a feeling that's why we're blessed with so many of them. (Yay for me!)

Good luck!

-Chelle
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Thanks for posting this! I have been wondering about these noodles and you were informative and funny!
  • Yeeeees, I remember my experimantation with the cauliflower mashed potatoes...

Now, these noodles... The UK is rubbish for this. I can only find them at $4.52 each PLUS $3.85 shipping (PER BAG!) on Amazon. The best rate I've found is on zeronoodles.com which gives me $10 for 4 bags plus $9.49 total shipping - that's still pretty high compared to the US prices. I have a local Asian market but they don't stock them. I guess I have to ask myself how much money I'll save on snacks.
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Oh wow! Thanks! I have a note on my fridge to get some of these.
  • finallychelle
    Yeeeees, I remember my experimantation with the cauliflower mashed potatoes...

Now, these noodles... The UK is rubbish for this. I can only find them at $4.52 each PLUS $3.85 shipping (PER BAG!) on Amazon. The best rate I've found is on zeronoodles.com which gives me $10 for 4 bags plus $9.49 total shipping - that's still pretty high compared to the US prices. I have a local Asian market but they don't stock them. I guess I have to ask myself how much money I'll save on snacks.

Some "emergency backups" to having "noodles" in your life would be to dry fry bean sprouts, by themselves, or you can use spaghetti squash.

My local Asian markets only charge 99 cents/pound for bean sprouts. Kroger charges $3.99/lbs. Don't get ripped off! :o)

FYI: I have had SO many people from the UK complain about the lack of availability that I see a business opportunity for someone there.

Why don't you contact a wholesaler and then build a website? Or just a Facebook page? I, literally, get hundreds of requests from UKers looking for these noodles.

-Chelle
  • Strobins05
    Strobins05 Posts: 716
    Thanks for the reminder Chelle, I need to get some baby bok chow and make this sometime soon, LOL. Tootles to our noodles:flowerforyou:
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
  • finallychelle
    Thanks for the reminder Chelle, I need to get some baby bok choy and make this sometime soon, LOL. Tootles to our noodles:flowerforyou:

Amen, sister!

I love baby bok choy-- another practically free food!

-Chelle
  • emilyc92
    emilyc92 Posts: 182 Member
    thanks for the info! i'm determined to make these and actually like them! my first few attempts have failed...
  • ellennow
    ellennow Posts: 568
    Love all the informaiton Chelle! Thank you!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    I tried them. I followed the directions. They're still gross. Rubbery and the smell *doesn't* just vanish. :noway:

Not worth it to me.
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Thanks! I just posted about these the other day! :)
  • finallychelle
    I tried them. I followed the directions. They're still gross. Rubbery and the smell *doesn't* just vanish. :noway:

Not worth it to me.

If the smell didn't go away then all I can figure is that you got noodles that were past their expiration date. And when you dry fry them they are NOT rubbery. I make them one to two times per day-- I would have noticed by now...
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    I'm gonna give these a try. I love noodles and have been hearing about these for a while.

Also, thank you for posting this information. I found it very helpful.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    I have tried a few of the recipes on the Hungry Girl website. I also use spaghetti squash.

Good tip on the dry-fry I am going to have to try that.
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Great and entertaining post! Thanks!

I JUST saw these in my grocery store (by the tofu) and thought "Hmm...now what the hell are THESE?!" Next week I'm picking them up!! :flowerforyou:
  • DaChozn
    DaChozn Posts: 134 Member
    Bump. Never purchased because I hear horror stories about the smell and texture. Gonna try the Chelle dry-fry Method lol