Let's Talk About Shirataki Noodles

Options

Replies

• Shawn_Marie
    Shawn_Marie Posts: 312
    Options
    I think they are great but took awhile to get used to the texture.
  • majarvis
    majarvis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bump
  • murrow1105
    murrow1105 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump! I have found these before (in small town Indiana) but have been afraid to try them. Maybe they will make next week's meal plan with this method :)
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Ok, I tried them finally! They were REALLY yummy. They weren't "rubbery" at all, maybe just ever-so-slightly chewy-er than regular fettucine, but still very good! Marinating in the fridge seems to soak all the good flavors of the sauce all the way through the noodle. And the bean sprouts went perfectly with them, a match made in heaven!

I will definitely make these again! Thanks so much for your post. Before seeing it I would have NEVER known about these wonderful noodles!

I got the "House Foods Tofu Shirataki Fettuccine" from Whole Foods, in the refrigerated tofu section.
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Ok, I tried them finally! They were REALLY yummy. They weren't "rubbery" at all, maybe just ever-so-slightly chewy-er than regular fettucine, but still very good! Marinating in the fridge seems to soak all the good flavors of the sauce all the way through the noodle. And the bean sprouts went perfectly with them, a match made in heaven!

I will definitely make these again! Thanks so much for your post. Before seeing it I would have NEVER known about these wonderful noodles!

I got the "House Foods Tofu Shirataki Fettuccine" from Whole Foods, in the refrigerated tofu section.

I've had every kind of shirataki noodle out there and those are my absolute favorite. If you marinate to get better flavor penetration then I'm all for it. Remember, though, that you don't have to do it for smell reasons...!
  • JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I did not know that there was a shirataki noodle and a tofu shirataki noodle. Thanks! I did not like the tofu texture AT ALL, but I am excited to try the other kind!
  • finallychelle
    Options
    I did not know that there was a shirataki noodle and a tofu shirataki noodle. Thanks! I did not like the tofu texture AT ALL, but I am excited to try the other kind!

The dry fry technique improves the texture of the tofu shirataki noodles, too!
  • Brittmy
    Brittmy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    just bought some. BUMP. Gonna try making them tomorrow I think! :-)
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I got some and made them last night. They were great!! I got the House Foods brand with Tofu. 20 cals only!! I found the fishy odor was gone with rinsing. I used a greased pan (that I'd just emptied from something else) and stir fried them in. The texture was closer to rice noodles..it was great with the bean sprouts. I've found a great substitute for rice/wheat noodles!!!!
  • finallychelle
    Options
    I got some and made them last night. They were great!! I got the House Foods brand with Tofu. 20 cals only!! I found the fishy odor was gone with rinsing. I used a greased pan (that I'd just emptied from something else) and stir fried them in. The texture was closer to rice noodles..it was great with the bean sprouts. I've found a great substitute for rice/wheat noodles!!!!

I'm so glad they worked out for you!

-Chelle
  • Redapplecandie
    Redapplecandie Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Must try!
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Tried them last night!
    There were a little chewier, but still good. I did dry fry them as recommended, and I used the tofu ones.
    I'm a fan, for sure.
    They allowed me to have pasta bolognese, a salad, a roll (AND BUTTER) and wine for 600 calories.

I am looking forward to trying them in a more asian inspired dish soon. Perhaps a Vietnamese noodle bowl?
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm not even going to read all these posts.. I tried these and HATED them. I'm a texture freak and these are awful. Yes, I dried them, yes I fried them, yes I microwaved them, yes I seasoned them.. I still can not stand those suckers. Whoever likes them, more power to ya! But I'm never wasting another minute of my life trying to make those things work. I'll stick to real noodles TYVM!
  • Dawn50y
    Dawn50y Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this informative post.
  • Trostlegirl
    Trostlegirl Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump....hmmmmm, will look for more ideas of what to pair this with. Thanks!
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Barribomb
    Barribomb Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for this post!! been very curious about these!
  • TinaCleg_cancel
    Options
    I have ordered them on-line and bought them at Publix here in Georgia. I think they do smell but I rinse mine very well in hot water. Thanks for all the great ideas. I am going to try the dry frying because I think I would use them more if they were not rubbery. I love that they fill me up too and I use them when my hubby and son are having pasta noodles :)
  • finallychelle
    Options
    Tried them last night!
    There were a little chewier, but still good. I did dry fry them as recommended, and I used the tofu ones.
    I'm a fan, for sure.
    They allowed me to have pasta bolognese, a salad, a roll (AND BUTTER) and wine for 600 calories.

I am looking forward to trying them in a more asian inspired dish soon. Perhaps a Vietnamese noodle bowl?

I use them in pho all the time. They're great in stir fries, too!