Let's Talk About Shirataki Noodles

Options

Replies

• WorkingMyButtOff
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I think I'm ready to give them a try !
  • bkcole
    bkcole Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I made a noodle stir fry with these last night...lots of Great Value stir fry veggies (about 1/2 a bag), 3 tbsp litehouse sesame sauce, and entire bag ot dried, microwaved and "dry" cooked noodles....WOW this was great!!!
  • Bergiere
    Bergiere Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I fixed them tonight for dinner with spaghetti sauce, drying them out in a pan like you recommended. I had no problem with the taste of the noodle, but I just couldn't get past the texture. :ohwell:

While it didn't work out for me, I wanted to thank you for sharing. :flowerforyou:
  • nevaeh1984
    Options
    Yay, recipe ideas :D

I actually live in Japan so I eat this and Konjac quite often, it's really cheap and low calorie ;D The smell when you open the bag is there, but after you boil it and let it dry and add to food it's pretty much tasteless.

Here they actually use this base to make zero calorie desserts, like jelly, which I am a HUGE fan of!
  • Icedancer94
    Icedancer94 Posts: 108
    Options
    This was really helpful, thank you!
  • Solislu
    Solislu Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Okay- I really shouldn't be confused after so much wonderful info..BUT, alas, I am.

I DRY FRY them in the oven.....and....

EAT them DRY??? RIGHT?? Or, do I soak them with something (ie. a terriyaki sauce) after the dry fry to make them soft like a noodle??

• finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Okay- I really shouldn't be confused after so much wonderful info..BUT, alas, I am.

I DRY FRY them in the oven.....and....

EAT them DRY??? RIGHT?? Or, do I soak them with something (ie. a terriyaki sauce) after the dry fry to make them soft like a noodle??

Dry fry them in a frying pan using just non-stick cooking spray. Cook them on high until they're bone dry. Then season them or sauce however you want and eat! They will retain their noodle texture throughout the entire process.

Enjoy!
  • lorazaruba
    lorazaruba Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cleaneater80
    cleaneater80 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Bump - Have tried them a few times and love the ways you can use them
  • shellsie_j
    shellsie_j Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Bump. You're great chelle
  • hdcin
    hdcin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    gonna check these out! bump
  • Stavakoli
    Stavakoli Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I tried them...I'm thoroughly impressed!!!! Honestly the best discovery in a while
  • everytree
    everytree Posts: 127
    Options
    I'm going to go in search of these things tomorrow. I couldn't find them in my usual grocery store so I'm going to go to an asian market. My only concern is where in there to find them. No one speaks english in the one near me.

Also, just wanted to clarify with you that they are completely gluten free. Is that true? My kids have severe celiac disease and I want to make sure....
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Nellie1drfl
    Nellie1drfl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ive been wanting to try these.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I love em. I have only found the "tofu" ones, but I love em. Asian style, italian style, whatever. I love em. Feels like the college ramen years but on purpose. Love them!
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes! I've been looking for a way to make shirataki not taste like complete crap :P
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    First off, This is the funniest post about food I have ever seen! hehe

Secondly, I have never heard of these, but it's sounds good. I will definately give it a try!
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go in search of these things tomorrow. I couldn't find them in my usual grocery store so I'm going to go to an asian market. My only concern is where in there to find them. No one speaks english in the one near me.

Also, just wanted to clarify with you that they are completely gluten free. Is that true? My kids have severe celiac disease and I want to make sure....

They are absolutely gluten free!

Edit: I meant to say that the non-tofu shirataki noodles are definitely gluten free. I don't know about the tofu ones.

I have friends with Celiacs who eat them!

-C