Let's Talk About Shirataki Noodles

Options

Replies

• IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I tried them a while ago. I had no trouble with the fishy odor. I've used Nam Pla (Thai fish sauce), so I knew how much cooking at high temperature changed the taste of stuff like that. I dry-fried them just on my gut instinct.

But I wouldn't think of them as a replacement for wheat pasta. I think of them as a replacement for bean thread noodles or soba in asian foods.
  • Hardemanwifey
    Hardemanwifey Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Yeeeees, I remember my experimantation with the cauliflower mashed potatoes...

Now, these noodles... The UK is rubbish for this. I can only find them at $4.52 each PLUS $3.85 shipping (PER BAG!) on Amazon. The best rate I've found is on zeronoodles.com which gives me $10 for 4 bags plus $9.49 total shipping - that's still pretty high compared to the US prices. I have a local Asian market but they don't stock them. I guess I have to ask myself how much money I'll save on snacks.

Hi

I'm in the UK too. I get mine from japancentre website. think they are still around the £" mark tho.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    £2 btw. damn capslock!!
  • 3laine75
    Options
    preaching to the converted on the shiritake noodles. just boiled with everything else for chicken noodle soup (no residue off them like other noodles)....AMAZING
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to give these a try. Thanks for the post/info. I love trying new healthy foods!:tongue:
  • HeaderAutumn
    HeaderAutumn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    save for later
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    bump
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    LOVE the post Chelle! I grew up eating these noodles (my mother from Japan) so it cracks me up to see all they hype. However, I have never prepared them in the dry-fry method you mentioned. I have only used them in traditional stir-fry type dishes and once I used them in a Chinese Chicken Salad in place of crunchy ramen noodles.

I cant wait to go home and try the dry-fry! (my inner foodie geekness is coming out....) Also looking forward to checking out your blog for more shiratiki ideas!

ps: Asian Markets in rural Georgia? Hah, who'dda thunk it! I gotta get out more! lolll!

I love it!

I suspect that stir frying the noodles, as you do, accomplishes pretty much the same thing as my dry fry method-- so you may not notice a huge difference.

As for the Asian markets-- we have an Air Force Base about 40 minutes away, so I have a feeling that's why we're blessed with so many of them. (Yay for me!)

Good luck!

-Chelle

How do you dry fry? I mean put them on the stove top in a pan and bake? I tried them before but never this way.
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting. I will try these.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I have been eating a pack of tofu shirataki everyday since I found out about it a few weeks ago. I tried the normal shirataki and didn't like it much, but I will try dry frying them like you suggested.

Thanks for sharing all of this information. I loved your writing style :)
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I heard abotu these from Hungry Girl, and then saw here use them for Alfredo on Dr Oz. I finally picked some up at the store today ( the tofu ones is all they had), cant wait to try them, even more excited now after reading this. !!!
  • Harlin12
    Harlin12 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    2 days ago I bought some of the tofu fettucini kind at Whole Foods. I rinsed the hell out of them in very hot water (while holding my nose so I couldn't smell them, didn't want to risk being "put-off") and then dry-fry prepared them with butter flavored cooking spray. Then I covered them in a sauce made of low sodium beef boullion, less sodium soy sauce, spices and a bit of water.

I put them in a covered bowl and popped them in my fridge, and they've been in there "marinating" for 2 days now. I'm kind of afraid to try them lol.

I have fresh bean sprouts, so when I do try them (maybe tomorrow) I'll re-fry them with the sprouts until the sprouts are done. Keeping my fingers crossed for deliciousness!
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    2 days ago I bought some of the tofu fettucini kind at Whole Foods. I rinsed the hell out of them in very hot water (while holding my nose so I couldn't smell them, didn't want to risk being "put-off") and then dry-fry prepared them with butter flavored cooking spray. Then I covered them in a sauce made of low sodium beef boullion, less sodium soy sauce, spices and a bit of water.

I put them in a covered bowl and popped them in my fridge, and they've been in there "marinating" for 2 days now. I'm kind of afraid to try them lol.

I have fresh bean sprouts, so when I do try them (maybe tomorrow) I'll re-fry them with the sprouts until the sprouts are done. Keeping my fingers crossed for deliciousness!

My goodness, grrl, they're not road kill covered gravy that you're trying to kill the taste of!

They would have tasted fantastic straight out of the pan!

I love the fettuccine noodles, btw.

Go eat them! They'll be great!
  • finallychelle
    Options
    How do you dry fry? I mean put them on the stove top in a pan and bake? I tried them before but never this way.

Simply spray a frying pan with cooking spray and fry them on high until they're dry.

That's it!
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options

My goodness, grrl, they're not road kill covered gravy that you're trying to kill the taste of!

They would have tasted fantastic straight out of the pan!

I love the fettuccine noodles, btw.

Go eat them! They'll be great!

Ha ha! Fair enough. You're so cute :) OK I'll try them!
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada and my regular superstore carries them at 69 cents for a package of 200g. They are with the other noodles in the Asian section of the store. I wanted to give them a try for a few days so tonight I had them for supper. I thought the package was small but wow, they can be filling! I made a Singapore stir fry with shrimps that turned out to be very delicious and less than 250 calories. Never seen that!

These noodles are a good way to adjust my calorie intake on the days where I will attend birthday parties (cake and chips) or dinner parties.
  • pghsteelerfan
    pghsteelerfan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Glad i found this post....i bought 2 packages of the tofu type and threw them in the fridge and never did cook them...been about a month...would they still b good???
  • finallychelle
    Options
    Glad i found this post....i bought 2 packages of the tofu type and threw them in the fridge and never did cook them...been about a month...would they still b good???

They usually have a 4-9 month shelf life depending on if they have tofu (shorter shelf life) or not.

Unless they had been sitting on the shelf for awhile they should be fine.