Let's Talk About Shirataki Noodles

Options

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Extremely helpful detailed post, thank you Chelle, you rock! I will try these soon. My sister said she tried them but doesn't like them. If I can "fix" them by cooking them the way you said, she will thank me forever!
  • Kahiapo
    Kahiapo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy these noodles but when I have a BM they freak me out because they come out whole (yes I do chew them). I still eat them... at least I know I won't be constipated after these!!
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    I don't really understand the comments about the smell. I don't find it offensive or stinky. I don't think my sense of smell is diminished. Who knows...maybe I am defective. Even if I did find them stinky, I think I would be willing to suffer through just to get me through the noodle cravings! I actually like shirataki noodles A LOT!!! Thank god they are so incredibly low in calories.
  • jakj00
    jakj00 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Great post! I have been making the tofu shirataki noodles after reading a hungry girl recipe....totally delish without many calories and they will fill you up!!
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Someone in Houston needs to tell me where to find these things. This city is huge and we also have a huge Asian community, but we haven't found them yet (obviously we're looking at the wrong stores.) We tried a Whole Foods down by Rice and they didn't have them, tried Fiesta and no luck there and a couple Asian markets, but there are a million more Asian markets to check out. Ideally I'd like to find some place on the NW end of town.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I had seen these on another site - maybe Hungry Girl? And thought about giving them a try. But, you've sealed the deal. I'll find a package tomorrow and give it a shot. Thanks for the tips, information and entertainment! :flowerforyou:
  • LemonsAndCoffee
    LemonsAndCoffee Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    <sigh> I've tried these and I couldn't get past the fishy smell (not past expiration - believe me, I checked!) and then the texture was just not doable. It was like chewy/crunchie at the same time. :sick: I wish I could eat them because the stats really are amazing. Oh well, I guess I'll stick with spag. squash.
  • DigDougOK
    DigDougOK Posts: 20
    Options
    I tried these for the first time a couple weeks ago. I must have bought the wrong kind....and fixed them wrong. The ones I bought were refrigerated so I bet they were of the Tofu variety. I just put some "light" tomato sauce and 95% fat free hamburger thinking they would be a spaghetti type food...well...they were like rubber bands. 2 bites and in the trash they went. Maybe I'll get enough courage up to try them again after reading your post....
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try them. If I can get them tasty enough, my partner will love me long time :laugh:. He misses his humongeous plates of spaghetti.
  • Ridumcowgirl
    Ridumcowgirl Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    AGREED! SO SO SO glad you posted this ...now I will actually BUY some this weekend!:o) Thank you Thank You!
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I just tried these earlier this week with a Hungry Girl recipe. They quickly made it to the top of my "favorites" list! The Sprouts Market around the corner from me carries them, so I'll definitely be buying up their supply. :smile:
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I just tried these earlier this week with a Hungry Girl recipe. They quickly made it to the top of my "favorites" list! The Sprouts Market around the corner from me carries them, so I'll definitely be buying up their supply. :smile:

I've purchased these at Sprouts when I've been I Denver. They periodically run them on sale for $1.49-- so that would be the best time to stock up...!
  • tldust
    tldust Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Someone in Houston needs to tell me where to find these things. This city is huge and we also have a huge Asian community, but we haven't found them yet (obviously we're looking at the wrong stores.) We tried a Whole Foods down by Rice and they didn't have them, tried Fiesta and no luck there and a couple Asian markets, but there are a million more Asian markets to check out. Ideally I'd like to find some place on the NW end of town.

In Michigan, I find them in the produce section by the tofu in a regular grocery store. I love these noodles in miso soup wiith mushrooms. Filling & tasty!
  • Ingraham4
    Ingraham4 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    These noodles are my saving grace! I buy them at a local Asian market where they cost $2.49/8oz bag. You may think that seem a little steep for 8 oz of noodles but believe me, they go A LONGGGG way! I have no problem paying the price... I used to never blink an eye paying $4.99 for a Big Mac! lol (No worries, those days are gone!)
    I always use the dry-fry method too and they are GOOD! Even my husband likes them... BONUS!
    Off to cook me some shiritaki now! YUM
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I got some of these the other day I will be trying them thanks :)
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Huh... Maybe I'll jog down to publix tomorrow morning and go looking...
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Great post! I just found out last night that the Shop Rite closest to me sells the tofu shirataki noodles! I was ecstatic! They were $1.99, which is awesome. I also learned that an Asian grocery on my work commute sells them for $1.79, plus bean sprouts for $0.70/lb. I have a huge bag of sprouts to fire up for lunch tomorrow using your recipe, OP.

These things are amazing!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post :) I found the noodles work great in a stir fry, they absorb the flavours of the stir fry quite well. They are good for bulking out a meal and satisfying you without adding the extra calories.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I tried these for the first time a couple weeks ago. I must have bought the wrong kind....and fixed them wrong. The ones I bought were refrigerated so I bet they were of the Tofu variety. I just put some "light" tomato sauce and 95% fat free hamburger thinking they would be a spaghetti type food...well...they were like rubber bands. 2 bites and in the trash they went. Maybe I'll get enough courage up to try them again after reading your post....

You need to rinse them out really well and pat them dry. They work best in stir fries and things like that, They need to be mixed with strong flavours.