Replies

• newlife4cindy
    newlife4cindy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump
  • everytree
    everytree Posts: 127
    Options
    I still can't find the non-tofu ones anywhere around here. I even went into the big asian supermarket. Any Canadians been able to find them anywhere?

I am going across the border into the US next week and want to try to find some but don't want to have to search all over for them so does anyone know of a chain of grocery stores down there that carries them?

Help a noodle loving girl out! lol!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I still can't find the non-tofu ones anywhere around here. I even went into the big asian supermarket. Any Canadians been able to find them anywhere?

I am going across the border into the US next week and want to try to find some but don't want to have to search all over for them so does anyone know of a chain of grocery stores down there that carries them?

For me (US) the asian markets have never had the tofu ones. I got mine at whole foods (a chain), and even my tiny neighborhood co-op (in the tofu section).
    Good luck!
  • JNALTBK
    JNALTBK Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Will try these if I can find them in Canada! Any Canadians out there know who sells them??? Thanks.
  • kmcmen
    kmcmen Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks for the info on these noodles. Never heard of them but will look next time I head to the store.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Will try these if I can find them in Canada! Any Canadians out there know who sells them??? Thanks.
    http://www.shiratakinoodlescanada.com/tofu-shirataki-noodles-canada/
    does this help?
    (otherwise ignore the link, it's for HCG diet crap)

For the tofu ones: they are usually in the tofu department.

for the yam ones they are usually in the refrigerated noodle section of asian markets.
  • kford9
    kford9 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing! i will be trying these!
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    bump
  • susybon
    susybon Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    thanks! Saving for kater
  • everytree
    Options

Save On Foods and Superstore have the tofu ones. I'm on the hunt for the non-tofu ones but can't find them.
  • everytree
    Options

For me (US) the asian markets have never had the tofu ones. I got mine at whole foods (a chain), and even my tiny neighborhood co-op (in the tofu section).
    Good luck!

Thanks!
  • kelleymj
    kelleymj Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! Thanks! Bump!
  • sums_net
    sums_net Posts: 24
    Options
    bump
  • sheilsun
    sheilsun Posts: 47
    Options
    Hi if you check on Miracle Noodle location site www.miraclenoodle.com/storelocator.aspx they list the stores in Canada that sell their shirataki noodles that have no tofu or soy and calorie free. many places in Canada. I have lots of fun with their great varied recipes they have on their facebook page. hope this helps!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Hi if you check on Miracle Noodle location site www.miraclenoodle.com/storelocator.aspx they list the stores in Canada that sell their shirataki noodles that have no tofu or soy and calorie free. many places in Canada. I have lots of fun with their great varied recipes they have on their facebook page. hope this helps!

Amazon also carries Miracle Noodles.
  • anemoneflynn
    Options
    bump
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Sprouts in the U.S. has these but with Tofu only. I checked with an asian market and found both kinds. There were two kinds of non-tofu noodles, one was white and the other an odd brownish color. My daughter and I figured there was probably seaweed in them. I bought the plain ones.

Note: there was absolutely NO odor whatsoever when I opened the bag. I rinsed them good and put them in a skillet where I just "cooked" them for a few minutes. I added 2 tablespoons of a stir-fry sauce (it was too late to get chicken and stuff out to make a complete stir fry meal). The noodles are chewy (not easily cut with fork or teeth) and because they're super long, I just cut them with a butter knife before eating them. :)

I can't wait to get some more and try them with various recipes!!
  • Dawnlight1976
    Options
    I had Shirataki noodles for the first time about a month ago. I was at a sushi restaurant and the dish included "yam noodles" they were really tasty and I had a bit of guilt for the carbs I was ingesting, so I cut my meal in half.

Later that evening I logged my meal into MFP and thought it was a mistake when it was not adding calories or carbs. I had to google yam noodles to find out more. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised by my findings!

I live in a small central wisconsin town and I have been to 3 Asian markets with no luck on finding these noodles. One of the Asian market owners told me he had a store in Minnesota and he used to stock shirataki noodles. One day a lady came in and bought all 40 packages he had in the store and he just never reordered. I told him he needs to order them STAT! He said they are only made in Japan and they are hard to keep on the shelf.

So, looks like my only option is online. Do you have any links you can share for the best place to order?

Thanks!
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Sprouts in the U.S. has these but with Tofu only. I checked with an asian market and found both kinds. There were two kinds of non-tofu noodles, one was white and the other an odd brownish color. My daughter and I figured there was probably seaweed in them. I bought the plain ones.

Note: there was absolutely NO odor whatsoever when I opened the bag. I rinsed them good and put them in a skillet where I just "cooked" them for a few minutes. I added 2 tablespoons of a stir-fry sauce (it was too late to get chicken and stuff out to make a complete stir fry meal). The noodles are chewy (not easily cut with fork or teeth) and because they're super long, I just cut them with a butter knife before eating them. :)

I can't wait to get some more and try them with various recipes!!

I've used the brown ones when they were out of the white ones and found almost no difference.

If you fry them on high for 8-10 minutes the texture will improve for you. It won't ever be exactly like pasta-- but it will get you a little closer!

I don't have a preference when it comes to tofu or non-tofu. I buy whichever is cheapest-- so I end up going back and forth.

I bought 60 bags of the tofu ones for $1.35/bag at the Asian market, a few weeks ago, so I'm pretty good for awhile!

-Chelle
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I had Shirataki noodles for the first time about a month ago. I was at a sushi restaurant and the dish included "yam noodles" they were really tasty and I had a bit of guilt for the carbs I was ingesting, so I cut my meal in half.

Later that evening I logged my meal into MFP and thought it was a mistake when it was not adding calories or carbs. I had to google yam noodles to find out more. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised by my findings!

I live in a small central wisconsin town and I have been to 3 Asian markets with no luck on finding these noodles. One of the Asian market owners told me he had a store in Minnesota and he used to stock shirataki noodles. One day a lady came in and bought all 40 packages he had in the store and he just never reordered. I told him he needs to order them STAT! He said they are only made in Japan and they are hard to keep on the shelf.

So, looks like my only option is online. Do you have any links you can share for the best place to order?

Thanks!

They're much more expensive online. You should really encourage your Asian market guy to stock them. I get them for around $1.35/bag for an 8oz bag of the tofu ones and $1.25 for a 7oz bag of the non-tofu ones.

Ask him to order you a case (of 24)-- and pay in advance. That eliminates the risk for him!

-Chelle