Steroids and Dating and Attraction

Options
THIS IS AN OPEN DISCUSSION.

Okay let's face it, women love muscles and are immediately attracted to a strong looking male - sociobiological theory and whatnot. That said, the temptation of anabolic steroids or prohormones or anything of the sort is pretty strong amongst men, whether they admit it or not. I, for one, have FLEETINGLY (I stress fleetingly here) thought about it. I'd never ever do it though, as I've come to the simple conclusion that I would not be happy with myself if I did (not even going into the illegality of it - not worth it). I could never be proud of my accomplishments, although I do agree it takes massive amounts of work as well. I simply could not respect myself for going that route. I'm young enough where I can still reach my genetic limit by the time I'm in my lower/mid-30s, and I'm more than fine with that.

QUESTION FOR THE WOMEN: Would you ever date/marry a man who has used/uses steroids or prohormones? Would you be able to respect them? Because after the first impressions of physical attraction, a conscious effort has to be made to overcome that, once knowing he shoots himself in the butt with steroids lol. Would that be morally a dealbreaker for you? Granted, this may be a morality issue, as I'm sure lots of people here use recreational drugs and whatnot and steroids can be arguably defended as safer than prescription pill poppers looking to get high.

QUESTION FOR THE MEN: Have you thought about using, or have used (if you're man enough to admit it lol)? And do you respect the guys who do use them?

OH and I'm not talking about Ronnie Coleman/Phil Heath/Freakishly big people. I mean people who are jacked but would make it hard to determine if they've used or not.

DISCUSS.

christian-bale-machinist.jpg
markmcguire-gotjuice.jpg
65146_442898812225_351749002225_5052141_5165690_n.jpg
Landis-looking-down-at-presser.jpg

Replies

• djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Nope, would not date a man using steroids. I'd rather he just be healthy.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    too much muscle is a turn off for me so... no.

aside from the addict side of things.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't date a man who used steroids. So we would never even get to the marriage part.

If someone was practicing something that goes against my morals (or had views that go against mine, etc etc), then they would have been out of the running.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    doesn't it makes the boy bits become smaller boy bits????
  • laura657
    laura657 Posts: 21
    Options
    I would date someone who's used it in the past, provided he doesn't anymore. Every one makes mistakes. But if he currently uses, I would not date him. That's not very attractive. Besides, while I do find muscular guys attractive, I find lanky guys attractive too haha
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    But all of you would marry Christian Bale. LOL
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    <---- Is not attracted to big muscles; would not be interested in a user. I didn't even date guys who smoked :tongue:

Edited to add that the pics you posted, while I can see how they would be aesthetically pleasing, are not attractive to me. I prefer either teddy bear or smaller and wiry.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Taking steroids, to me, isn't an attractive trait. That said, it wouldn't put me off dating them if I liked them as a person.

Long term, I wouldn't want them taking them if I saw a future together because of the associated health risks (legality isn't an issue, in the UK it's legal for personal use)
    My bf has taken them before (he wasn't when we started seeing each other) but felt that he wanted to take them to push past what he felt was a natural limit in strength, although I felt he could've gone further while natural, it just would've taken longer. He never took them for size, moreso strength, and is the sort of person that doesn't want to be "strong for his size" he's naturally a very small build. He wants to compete in strongman, which he feels unless he was naturally built like a tank, he wouldn't do well naturally.

He doesn't take them any more though, hasn't in around a year. I think I convinced him to stay natural, and keep encouraging him that he just has to give it time (he's only 25!)

It never made me respect him any less. I wouldn't choose to do that to my body (whether I was male or female) not just because of health but because I would've felt I cheated my way to the top. When I want to achieve something, I want to really "achieve" it, all myself with no unnatural help.
    I can't decide for another person though, it was his choice, and it never made me love him any less, or think less of him as a person, it's what he chose to do with his body.

Edit: While he did get bigger, he never got crazy roided big. There were (and still are) a lot of natural guys out there, that are tons bigger than he was. So the "oversized muscles" that many women hate, was never an issue.
  • chowderkat
    chowderkat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'd date someone on steroids--I just assume they'd have roid rage and would be deliberately harming their body and that's not attractive.
  • ensoleille
    Options
    Nope.
    Just as I don't understand the attraction of women getting their boobs done.
    I'd prefer a guy to be natural than fake. :)
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Well, if he tried as opposed to currently using, I'd have no problem. Learning and gaining experience is not always a bad thing. :smile:
  • NicoleLauren17
    NicoleLauren17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love a guy with muscles. Guilty as charged. But I would not date a guy who used steroids. If he had in the past and no longer was then I would be okay with that but I wouldn't date someone who was currently using them. Also, while I do like muscles, steroid looking huge jacked muscles are not attractive. Muscle definition is attractive, not necessarily HUGE muscles.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I'd never take harmful drugs I've seen them ruin too many lives.

You don't need to take steroids to be jacked.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    But all of you would marry Christian Bale. LOL

No, I wouldn't...Also I wouldn't date anyone that uses or has used steroids.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would because if I were judged for every mistake in my past, I'm sure there'd not be a person out there for me. As a life-long baseball fan, however, I can't respect the players I admired in the same way anymore. (i.e. Barry Bonds; even though I know steroids don't give you that kind of long ball talent, but I digress).

EDIT: Bottom line, I'd want to date a guy who cared about his body enough to keep it healthy; so, I'd hope it would be in their past. Steroids don't make someone a "bad" person, or even "un-dateable" in my book, though.
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Date, probably not.

Admire from a far... yes!
  • BlueEyesXoXo
    Options
    My boyfriend is naturally big. Big enough where people believe he uses, but he never has.

So while I love muscular men, I also have a soft spot for small guys too.

Steroids? Not happening for this chicky.
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I am in on the Christian Bale thing too, man, I am not sure under which conditions I would not take him :)

I have dated (very briefly) a guy who had previously used some heavy steroids - he had been a pro body builder and competitive. The fact is in the end it wrecked his mind (became schizophrenic), his bits were affected too. Yeah, that didn't last long - it was weird but I felt so badly for him because this was in the day before side effects were widely known and his trainer provided them to him.
  • imogenjade
    imogenjade Posts: 131
    Options
    my ex was on steroids and it messed with his head, he was a freak,he had boils on his back, awful skin, temper etc. i dont find muscles attractive. my boyfriend now is athletic and plays alot of football. i think most women are attracted to athletic, some like musles, some like chubby, fat, skinny etc. but majority of girls and women i know say athletic
  • marketdimlylit
    marketdimlylit Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I'm not into muscles really, I like a bit of a belly there, don't like 6pacs -
    I like a little toning on the arms and legs though.

As for dating a guy with steriods - noooope.