Steroids and Dating and Attraction

Options

Replies

• Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    No way would I date a man who used steroids.

Now if they had admitted to previously using them and had since gotten help and realized their stupidity, that's a different story.

Your generalized statement that all women 'love muscles' is not true. I like my men to be in shape and have the ability to go on a weekend hike with me, but they definitely do not have to be ripped. And just like men have very different types of women they find attractive, so do women. I have known girls that prefer a chubby man to a muscular one. Most of the men in the posted photos are all body types I am not physically attracted to, and know many women that would agree and disagree with me.

A man that would succumb to using steroids probably would have a lot of other personality traits that would not be appealing either.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I don't date drug users, period. Ginormous muscles are disgusting to me. I won't even use or let my husband use protein shakes...
    " I won't even use or let my husband use protein shakes" ??????????????????????????????????????

I've seen it all!!!
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Stay on topic, ladies!

We ALL like athletic men.

Sorry, I like brains, better... And MY personal experience is that a well-rounded guy is NOT one that spends all his free time at the gym... :)
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I would not date someone currently taking steroids. I am not into big muscles either. I'm more attracted to the nerdy guy, but that's just me. And I know nerdy guys can have muscles, but the usually don't! LOL But I did have a close friend in high school who dated a guy who did steroids and he was an emotional freak. He had pimples all over his back and neck. She never got as far as seeing "down there" so I can't hazard a guess. But he was NOT a fun guy to be around, even if he did have muscles. He used to cry all the time, and then punch a wall. Very unstable.

14839892.png
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    The comments regarding steroid use are interesting. I wonder how many of these people feel about dating somebody that has a couple drinks a week, smokes regularly, or maybe even smokes Pot. Are steroids really worse or are they different because our country has made them illegal? Despite the fact they can be safely cycled much of that information never comes out. People that abuse steroids are obviously putting their body at great risk but isn't that the same as abusing anything else? What about men that are on Testosterone Replacement Therapy? Their effectively taking steroids and maybe even estrogen blockers. Is that bad too?

Totally different. Each person has his or her preferences. If I don't want to date someone who uses a different toothpaste than I do that's my choice. What are you saying? If someone doesn't want to date a pot smoker or a drinker, they are ... what? prejudiced? non equal opportunity? And.. if a doctor prescribes a medication for a medical issue I would be more likely to overlook it.. buy hey, if I don't want to date anyone taking any types of medication, that's also my prerogative. As far as "bad" goes, if it's against the law, I suppose it's bad in the sense a person would be breaking the law. But medications for illnesses or deficiencies.. it isn't relevant to the subject.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have never been attracted to overly built guys. I like a man who can put his arms down next to his side! Really, a friend's husband hand built up his arms so much that he had trouble going BOWLING with us - not cool in my book.

As to previous use, I doubt it. Depends on the issues around the situation.

Current use - no. Too much information out there about how horrible it is for you - like someone starting to smoke cigarettes now - just to fit in? Ridiculous.

And, I have no idea who you're talking about Bales?
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Better way to phrase the question to get rid of all these qualifying statements of "I don't like XYZ body type." If a guy were to be what you think is a perfect body type, but was using steroids in addition to the training/nutrition, would you be okay with this?
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    The comments regarding steroid use are interesting. I wonder how many of these people feel about dating somebody that has a couple drinks a week, smokes regularly, or maybe even smokes Pot. Are steroids really worse or are they different because our country has made them illegal? Despite that they can be cycled much of that information never comes out. People that abuse steroids are obviously putting their body at great risk but isn't that the same as abusing anything else? What about men that are on Testosterone Replacement Therapy? Their effectively taking steroids and maybe even estrogen blockers. Is that bad too?

The way I see it there's a difference between using and abusing. I think (although there are obvious health risks to using) that the majority of serious problems are caused by abusing them. Many guys take them, and become addicted. They will say a big "f-you" to do "safe" limit and take more and more and more, because they are not big enough, not strong enough. That is just plain stupid in my eyes.
    Taking TRT is prescribed by a doctor isn't it? Therefore it would have a recommended dose, and be under control, unlike the majority of steroid users.

As to your earlier questions. I wouldn't date someone who smokes, because IMO it's a filthy habit and I can't stand the smell (or the hacking cough I get from being around them)
    I would date somebody who drank, but not someone who drank to excess.

Agreed, good points. Doesn't that really apply to abuse of anything? How many relationships end because some men get so involved in on-line video games (World of Warcraft for instance) that's definitely abuse. Would you date somebody that did it safely?

Yes I agree it applies to anything that becomes abuse, or like an addiction.

Date someone who uses steroids safely? I already do (although he's not using them anymore) He took them for around 1-2 years and stopped around a year ago. I wasn't happy about it, but as long as he was as safe as he could be, then I'm not going anywhere. He took the proper safe dose, did cycles on and off as recommended, and promised me it wouldn't be a long term thing (and has stuck to his word) I was mainly worried about long term health implications of continued use, and I didn't want that sort of thing still happening when we have children.
    In honesty, I think he'd still be taking them if it wasn't for me, I encourage him that he can get really strong naturally, that it just takes a lot more time, food, effort, especially for someone his size (really small build)

I suppose someone who was using meth or coke safely is okay too? Those types of steroids are illegal drugs, in case you didn't know. Everyone is different. What may be considered "safe" for one person could be deadly for another.
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    No....I am totally not into the big muscles. I like a fit male body with definition but not really big. Steroids....well I'm totally against illegal drugs. OP....great job not going down that road!
  • almonds1
    Options
    But all of you would marry Christian Bale. LOL

Oh hell no. Not with that temper (and general lack of ability to be socially appropriate).

I would not date, never mind marry, a man who is using drugs (including smoking cigarettes) or abusing alcohol or using steroids. Period. As to the steroids in particular, a short list as to why:

1. They cause pretty severe depression, emotional instability, and rage.
    2. Which often leads to physical aggression. Against self, girlfriend/boyfriend, etc. Sometimes jail time for that.
    3. They cause testicular atrophy (AKA "boy bits become smaller boy bits" -- LOL at the phrasing)
    4. Which leads to reduced sexual drive and performance. Yes, I care about that.
    5. Anybody who is so insecure that he feels the need to use illegal substances to boost his self-esteem by building his muscles is not the guy for me.

And Testosterone Replacement Therapy is to REPLACE the testosterone because the organs that make it (the testicles) aren't there or don't work. The goal is to achieve testosterone levels in the normal range for a male of that age. Anabolic steroids are intended to boost testosterone levels ABOVE the normal range. Hence all the short-term and long-term consequences. BIG difference.

Personally, I dont nor will i use them... Thats just me!! But I can tell you that there some common misconceptions in your list. ... Just saying, dont always believe the **** you read in a book of online. Every person is different. Ive known a few people who have taken certain types and not have any of those mentioned on the list. It generally depends on the person.
    Its kinda the difference between a happy drunk and a violent drunk...
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    If someone used them in the past and admitted it that's different. But I'm not into bulky guys at all so I wouldn't date a guy that was doing them. I would want him to be healthy.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't date drug users, period. Ginormous muscles are disgusting to me. I won't even use or let my husband use protein shakes...
    " I won't even use or let my husband use protein shakes" ??????????????????????????????????????

I've seen it all!!!
    Protein shakes are GOOD for you and your husband!
    WTH? lol
  • PinkiePie07
    PinkiePie07 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Big muscles aren't a turn on for me. I don't mind if guys have them, but I've never been attracted to it. I would say I'm more attracted to a "fit' type of body. Like..not just wimpy flab but not too many muscles. Enough to give semi decent definition and tone and that's enough for me.

As for dating someone who used steroids...well..it really depends. If they're still using or used for a really really long time, then no. If it was like a one time deal or something then I could look past it. We all make mistakes.
  • Glamour60Xtreme
    Options

Why wouldn't you let your husband use protein shakes? Those are good AND healthy for you. It's not a drug or a steroid. I guess I'm just confused on this..
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Females can use steroids too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdTlOxn3jlY
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't date a man if I knew he used anabolic steroids. I've never really been attracted to muscular men, in fact I have never dated, although have once kissed a guy that was muscular but that was a bit random.

I like fitness, natural muscles, nothing too over the top. Saying that I wouldn't not date someone who was muscular and interesting but I would worry about dating someone that would take it just that one step too far.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Females can use steroids too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdTlOxn3jlY

Even though her and her husband seem like tools, I find her pretty damn hot (and I usually don't dig that physique on women either).
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I'll admit thinking about it when I got injured but it was a fleeting though. I was involved in some controversy when me and my little brother and a friend were accused of taking steroids. funny thing was we found a better way to gain muscle quickly. Negatives, we would put 315 on the bench and only absorb the negative while the other two lifted. we did this for a lot of lifts, adding more weight as we got bigger. those were that days :)

now I'm taking it slower so I don't hurt myself. and because of age I've started to take testosterone boosters to compensate for the natural decrease. there are a lot of healthy supplements that help.
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Why wouldn't you let your husband use protein shakes? Those are good AND healthy for you. It's not a drug or a steroid. I guess I'm just confused on this..

Not everyone agrees thay they are good or healthy. I won't hijack this thread but a simple google search will tell you that. Beyond that, though, we get our protein from eggs, chicken, fish, etc. We lift right before dinner so there is no need for a shake.
  • almonds1
    Options

Not everyone agrees thay they are good or healthy. I won't hijack this thread but a simple google search will tell you that. Beyond that, though, we get our protein from eggs, chicken, fish, etc. We lift right before dinner so there is no need for a shake.

The best source of protein is thru food no doubt... But to be technical - too many eggs may not be healthy for one person right? Remeber some people dont eat eggs, chicken of fish... I guess if you are eating eggs, chicken of fish every single day or some sort of animal protein you are fine...
    To each its own but to "not allow your hubby to have protein shakes" well, damn... lol