Steroids and Dating and Attraction

Replies

• ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Are there over-the-counter supplements that are steroids? I don't know the first thing about steroids. Are over-the-counter things just compounds that add to specfic nutrition levels -like protein powder and creatine?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    I guess that from the bad press is why I've never been for them.

Are the benefits from juicing really worth it? Could you still achieve the same results without the use of steroids or do they give you that extra edge to train harder?

There are some physiques that just aren't attainable naturally. Everyone is different but there is a limit to how big your body will get naturally, or how lean you can get.
    The best way I've heard it put are that steroids will take you to the next level. But that's it. You can go from novice to expert at whatever it is you're trying to do. I'm not gonna go from 160 to 240 pounds if I start juicing now.
    Like niner said, you have to have excellent discipline to get the best results from steroids. It still requires hard training, a great diet and time. Along with frequent blood tests, and knowledge. They aren't something to play around with, but if you've done your research I believe you can use them without many negative effects.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Are there over-the-counter supplements that are steroids? I don't know the first thing about steroids. Are over-the-counter things just compounds that add to specfic nutrition levels -like protein powder and creatine?

Pro-hormones are essentially steroids. They're converted to them once in the liver. So they're harsh on your body (at least the methylated compounds are). But yes, they're legal, over the counter steroids when put simply.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    But could you still achieve the same results naturally?

I know Bodybuilders use them to get bigger, but why would a person who doesn't body build or compete in some type of competition want to supplement them?
    Naturally is more difficult. And especially as you age, putting on lean muscle is much much harder as testosterone levels start to drop after about age 27 or so.
    Many males use them to just not get out of shape or overweight. Higher testosterone not only helps to increase lean muscle, but enhances libido, helps increase energy, and even helps to sharpen the mind.
    Even the Mayo clinic agrees with these findings.
    But again to each his own. I've done fine without them, although I have been slowly losing strength and have to work harder on cardio now to eat the same I've always eaten.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    too much muscle is a turn off for me so... no.

aside from the addict side of things.

I agree with this...
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    But all of you would marry Christian Bale. LOL

I don't find him attractive in the least bit.

However the bottom picture you posted (to clarify- the one in his skivvies) , reminds me a lot of my husband- :)
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    That said, the temptation of anabolic steroids or prohormones or anything of the sort is pretty strong amongst men, whether they admit it or not

As a male who hangs out with many other males, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree here.

I think the OP is saying being muscular is the equivalent to being manly in our society. It's similar to the way women have to deal with the message of thin = beautiful.

Yes, that is what I meant. Thanks for the clarification.

I agree with OP on this one!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    That said, the temptation of anabolic steroids or prohormones or anything of the sort is pretty strong amongst men, whether they admit it or not

agreed.

part of being a man is being big and strong, so a lot of people think they can take shortcuts and get there.
    they're mistaken tho.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member

agreed.

part of being a man is being big and strong, so a lot of people think they can take shortcuts and get there.
    they're mistaken tho.

Yup, but there are also certain jobs where it would be beneficial to be stronger: military, police, fire. That being said, its easy to get a prescription these days. All you have to do is go to your doctor and tell him you have low libido and he does a few tests (which you can do things to lower your testosterone for the test) and you get a perscription. Or you just go to a "anti-aging" facility and they pretty much give you what you want. Its expensive though.
  • ninerbuff

agreed.

they're mistaken tho.

Yup, but there are also certain jobs where it would be beneficial to be stronger: military, police, fire. That being said, its easy to get a prescription these days. All you have to do is go to your doctor and tell him you have low libido and he does a few tests (which you can do things to lower your testosterone for the test) and you get a perscription. Or you just go to a "anti-aging" facility and they pretty much give you what you want. Its expensive though.
    Yep. I'm sure this is how many aspiring competitive amateur and pro body builders are doing it "legally" right now.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,805 Member

agreed.

they're mistaken tho.

Yep. I'm sure this is how many aspiring competitive amateur and pro body builders are doing it "legally" right now.

IDEA Fitness member

Do you know how they pass the tests for competitions though niner? That's what I've always wondered. I thought bodybuilding comps and single-competitor sports do drug testing.
  • thefuzz1290

agreed.

they're mistaken tho.

IDEA Fitness member

Do you know how they pass the tests for competitions though niner? That's what I've always wondered. I thought bodybuilding comps and single-competitor sports do drug testing.

A lot of competitions don't test, and the ones that do the guys cycle off far enough in advance of the competition so their testosterone levels aren't higher than normal....or they show their prescription.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    I am pretty sure the IFBB guys all get a free pass..............
  • thefuzz1290
    I am pretty sure the IFBB guys all get a free pass..............

Its an untested contest, so yeah lol.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member

First off, I'm a police officer and if not for the illegality of steroids, I'd use a cycle or two during the year.

this actually deserves a *facepalm*. Just what we'd need, a police officer with roid rage.

Ignorance again. Roid rage doesn't exist.

Steroids are like alcohol, if you're an a-hole before steroids, you're a bigger a-hole on them. If you're a naturally aggressive person, you will feel more aggressive, but steroids don't make you lose your inhibitions like alcohol or other drugs. In fact, we can make another comparison between alcohol and steroids to make it relevant to the topic.

Ladies, do you date men who drink alcohol? Alcohol has actually proven to be beneficial health wise when taken in moderation, so have steroids. Alcohol has been proven to be deadly when abused, steroids have negative effects, but haven't been proven to be deadly. Alcohol causes more deaths than any other drug, zero deaths have been caused due to steroid use. Besides the legality of the substance, I don't see a difference.

roid rage does exist. It increases aggression pushing some people over the edge. testosterone levels aren't meant to be jacked up that high. I'd rather up my testosterone and inhibit estrogen naturally.
  • chnkytim42
    chnkytim42 Posts: 127 Member
    thought about it alot. never would, one of my friends died because of steriods coke and pills. scary stuff. he lost like 60lbs and gained alot of muscle. but doesnt do much 6 feet under. and i wouldnt respect myself
  • thefuzz1290

First off, I'm a police officer and if not for the illegality of steroids, I'd use a cycle or two during the year.

this actually deserves a *facepalm*. Just what we'd need, a police officer with roid rage.

Ignorance again. Roid rage doesn't exist.

Steroids are like alcohol, if you're an a-hole before steroids, you're a bigger a-hole on them. If you're a naturally aggressive person, you will feel more aggressive, but steroids don't make you lose your inhibitions like alcohol or other drugs. In fact, we can make another comparison between alcohol and steroids to make it relevant to the topic.

Ladies, do you date men who drink alcohol? Alcohol has actually proven to be beneficial health wise when taken in moderation, so have steroids. Alcohol has been proven to be deadly when abused, steroids have negative effects, but haven't been proven to be deadly. Alcohol causes more deaths than any other drug, zero deaths have been caused due to steroid use. Besides the legality of the substance, I don't see a difference.

roid rage does exist. It increases aggression pushing some people over the edge. testosterone levels aren't meant to be jacked up that high. I'd rather up my testosterone and inhibit estrogen naturally.

Again, steroids do not cause people to lose control over their bodies. In fact, propensity towards violence is no higher in steroid users than the general population. So if you were gonna beat your wife on steroids, you would most likely beat your wife off steroids. There is actually a higher percentage of violence associated with alcohol use, not just abuse, than steroid use and abuse.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Again, steroids do not cause people to lose control over their bodies. In fact, propensity towards violence is no higher in steroid users than the general population. So if you were gonna beat your wife on steroids, you would most likely beat your wife off steroids. There is actually a higher percentage of violence associated with alcohol use, not just abuse, than steroid use and abuse.
    Do you have any studies to back this up? All I can see is there is a lot of health problems from taking steroids and some users have psychological symptoms.
  • ninerbuff
    Easy. There are no tests. That's what's ironic about the rules of the IFBB. They claim they don't want drugs in the "sport" but there's maybe 1 out of 5,000 competitors that aren't juicing or using other enhancement drugs to compete.

Only ones that do test are the Natural Bodybuilding and even then most of the tests are lie detector tests.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Aggression isn't the same as rage. You can be more aggressive in the weight room without being angry. It was said earlier that if someone is already an *kitten*, that steroids just makes them more of an *kitten*.

IDEA Fitness member