MAC or PC..... why?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    MAC now runs windows faster than most PC's out there today. You no longer are only tied to one OS. Just saying. We run manywindows based apps on our MAC PRO. We get the best of both worlds. I can't say the same for any PC out there today.

If iTunes is anything to go by, I'm not missing anything. God that software is awful :laugh:
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    MAC now runs windows faster than most PC's out there today. You no longer are only tied to one OS. Just saying. We run manywindows based apps on our MAC PRO. We get the best of both worlds. I can't say the same for any PC out there today.

If iTunes is anything to go by, I'm not missing anything. God that software is awful :laugh:

Everyone has their opinion for sure, iTunes is an excellent software used by many millions of people. You may not like it but once you get into it it's phenomenal.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Go Mac. I was a huge "Omg Mac is soooo overrated, get over yourselves!" girl before. I bought an Acer laptop [$900] that lasted 3 months...Then dropped $1300 on a Dell that lasted 6 months...My fiance had bought a Mac because his Dell [which lasted 2+ years] had finally completely died...So I was like well in less than a year I've spent over $2K on laptops, why not try a Mac also...1.5 years later my Mac is still running great! If I could have a PC that would ACTUALLY LAST I would def stick with it. Mac is a little more complicated & takes a while to get used to. Since I have not seen a PC [laptop anyway] last this long, I'll stick with my Mac! It takes a while to get used to & there are still some things I dislike about it, but my Macbook cost $1300 [same price as my Dell] and has lasted 3x longer so far [watch me post this and the damn thing die lol]. Not sure why everyone says they cost more...I ordered mine straight from their website & paid the same amount I did for my Dell...& lets not mention my lovely Acer that lasted 3 months...Eff.
    Did your parents forget to teach you what those warranty slips were for?
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Mac = better. (that's why they can ask for a higher price for them)
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    ITT: People who only use laptops.
  • ashleab37
    Options
    Music on the go any time. The person who said he wouldmt pay the proces for OSX, hmmm better look again at the price. OSX is only about $75 Australia on a usb key, where as hmm Windows 7 - you are looking at a minimum double cost + some more.
    Where do you shop, Harvey Norman? I bought Windows 7 for $89...
  • ashleab37
    Options
    Get a PC built for you and spend LESS than you would on the cheapest mac and I bet my first born childs life that it will run windows faster than any Mac you've ever used.
  • ashleab37
    Options
    ITT: People who only use laptops.
    I noticed that too. :P
  • ashleab37
    Options
    Mac = better. (that's why they can ask for a higher price for them)
    Oh, this is SO true! Just like how my one and only designer clothing item, a versace purse, lasted about 18 months before it started tearing, and my $25 current wallet is into its 5th year.
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It's obviously a matter of opinion and experience.

I myself prefer a windows pc over a mac pc (see what i did there), but we're huge gamers. Ask any one of the 2 desktops (one is 5 years old, the other 4) or 2 laptops in our house. The two desktops we built. Why? Because if we decide we want a better graphics card, or the more ram, or our power supply sizzles and dies, we can fix that. Give us like 30 seconds. My husbands laptop is about 5 years old and has been to Iraq and suffered the Iraq sand. Still works great. My laptop is new, and I love it. Sony Vaio. We've never had problems with any of our computers.

So long story short, either way, get whats going to work best FOR YOU and take care of it for crying out loud! Learn to defragment and do your scans. If necessary, make friends with a gamer! heh

:heart:'s and punch and pie to all
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    PC. Macs are great for people who have NO IDEA about their computer and need it to walk them through everything, and who don't mind the fact that their PC isn't always compatible with everything.... So in my opinion, "art students" and people in their seventies.

I work in IT, we all hate macs. Useless trash!
    This.

It would be interesting to ask people who own a Mac and advocate it what their level of experience with IT is, and people who own a PC and what their level of experience with IT is.

If you're a beginner, go for a PC (Windows) and complain it's bad because you've got no clue.

If you've got no clue but owned a PC (Windows), go for a Mac. It's locked and simple enough so that you can enjoy it without hassle. Just put the extra cash in.

If you've got experience, and aren't scared of getting your hands dirty, if you want to destroy your machine all the time, or if you're a cheap @ss, go for a PC (Windows or even Linux).

I work as a software programmer (using Windows-only software) but prefer Macs. I'm happy swapping out RAM and hard drives and optical drives on my Macs myself -- I'd never pay anyone to do that for me! I'm not a gamer however, so I really don't care about graphics cards, but I'm sure I'd be able to swap one of those out too, should I ever need to. I prefer Macs because I prefer the way they work... I could give examples of things that I find annoying on Windows, but mostly it comes down to "the Mac way" or "the Windows way" and as I've said, I prefer the Mac way.
  • sprfly
    sprfly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    1.jpg
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I'm a Windows guy for many reasons:

1. All of my media and files are backed up on a Windows formatted hard drive, and since the 2 operating systems don't play nice with each other, I will probably always be a Windows guy.

2. Macs are overpriced. Any way you slice it, computers are still made up of mostly the same components, and for some reason Macs cost like twice as much. And at home I don't use it for that much, mainly surfing the internet and listening to music.

3. People complaining that their Windows PC died after 3-6 months are not the norm. I have no clue what these people are doing with their computers, all of mine have lasted me 5-7 years. There are some crappy computer making companies out there. I won't argue that Macs are well built, but my PCs have always been good to me. I've had my home Dell desktop for probably 5 years now, I had to change the DVD drive and that's about it (took about 5 minutes and cost $30). It does slow down after a couple years so I just clean it out or reformat it and it runs great for a while. My new work computer is bad-*kitten* and will probably blow most macs out of the water. My Toshiba laptop I've had for 3 years and it still works like new. My computers never crash or lock up, I got a virus once just because I was at a site I probably shouldn't have been at.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Apple has become a cult. Stick with PC. :)
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My 5 year old iMac is still going strong. How many 5 year old PC's have not been rebuilt/wiped clean and redone because of viruses, etc? PC is more prevalent, but that gap is closing and you can run Window's on a Mac is you absolutely need to. Consumer Reports rates Mac's #1 across the board. Apple support is great. You pay for what you get.

BTW... I am a Unix Systems Admin and work on my iMac all day, everyday. I also work on Windows/Linux servers constantly. The iMac is still strong with all day use for 5 years. I have rebuilt many Windows servers during that time.

My brothers and mom have all switched to Macs. All are still running strong, aged between 2-4 years.

My wife is getting a new MacBook Pro after the next refresh (Hopefully for her b-day... Shhhhh!).
  • mickeygirliegirl
    mickeygirliegirl Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I grew up using PCs. Anytime that I had to use an Apple product up until 3 years ago I would groan, and think about how much more superior my PCs were. Then my second laptop in 2 years bit it. I didn't do anything (nor do now) anything crazy with my laptops, I am careful about sites I go to and careful about any downloading.

I was dating someone who was a Mac person. He convinced me after the 2nd laptop died to go to a Mac. And I haven't had one problem in 3 years.

As far as "getting used to a Mac", in reality, it does not take long to get used to a Mac. For example, any window that is open, instead of your minimize, maximize, close buttons being on the right, they are now on the left. For the most part, a lot of quick key functions are the same the only difference is instead of using CTRL, you're using command.

Plus, as other posters have said, you can use both Windows and Mac programs on a Mac (as long as you install the windows onto the Mac - but it's set up so you can have both on the computer).

I would never go back to a PC for personal use. I use a PC all day at work and I suffer through it, but only because I'm paid to. ha ha.
  • LFiestan
    LFiestan Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I vote MAC. Ive been using this 24" imac at the office for 5 yrs and hasnt failed on me yet...its still reliable and works well, not a lot of maintenance work as that of a regular PC.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,723 Member
    Options
    OP, did you ever decide on a new computer?