• DJMIKEY1
    DJMIKEY1 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I just gave up and workout now.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I just gave up and workout now.

This. Weights are to men what cats are to women!
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I've had an OKC profile for almost a year now and I get a lot of interesting messages.
    By interesting I mean gross and full of sexist crap, but hey it's good to know what you DO NOT want from a relationship right?
    I tried eHarmony on a free trial basis and one guy I talked to would NOT leave me alone even after I deleted my profile. (Yeah, I made the mistake of giving him my phone number. Ugh) I've pretty much just given up on dating for now, maybe I'll start trying again after I'm done with grad school.

My point is: Online dating isn't for everyone.

Online dating can work for some people, I really think it can.
    But the website you use is ultimately irrelevant, it's more about how much effort you put into the people you find interesting.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    set them up on christian mingle lol
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Glad there was no Internet when I was dating.

I like the old fashioned way. Getting to know people through the everyday course of my life. Not typing in some parameters of what I am looking for and then getting contacted by a bunch of people that are filling out the qualities that they think people are looking for.

Turn your computer off, look up from your cell phone and get out there. When you meet someone while you are doing the things you enjoy insure that you will meet someone that has at least one thing in common with you. Take some time. Get to know them.

I know that it is old-fashined and doesn't move along as quickly as you might want, but there's something to be said for slowly learning about someone before you start texting, sexting, instagraming and changing your FB status.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    My vote is for OK Cupid honestly. I think it is what you make of it. WAY better quality (at least in my area) than POF but doesn't cost anything.

I answered like 1,200 questions on the site and looked at my local matches who also answered lots of Q's. That is how I met my husband. We were something like a 97% match! Although when we started dating I was more intrigued, and didn't necessarily expect anything serious...I was not looking to marry or even have a super serious thing, I'd just gotten divorced...

Luck to your friend...I see this is a very old thread.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Recently, my co-worker met her current boyfriend on her last day of Match and his first day of Match.

I met my husband on okcupid on the day I was going to delete my profile (after 2 years on the site)

It was his first day on okcupid, and i saw his picture on the section "new to okcupid" and clicked it. :)

My husband had been on OK Cupid for around 3 years and was mostly seeking friends by that point although he was single. I had been on it for 2 days. Awesome!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

I like the old fashioned way. Getting to know people through the everyday course of my life. Not typing in some parameters of what I am looking for and then getting contacted by a bunch of people that are filling out the qualities that they think people are looking for.

Turn your computer off, look up from your cell phone and get out there. When you meet someone while you are doing the things you enjoy insure that you will meet someone that has at least one thing in common with you. Take some time. Get to know them.

I know that it is old-fashined and doesn't move along as quickly as you might want, but there's something to be said for slowly learning about someone before you start texting, sexting, instagraming and changing your FB status.

I'd love that. However, I work from home. I live in a pretty rural area. The only time I can go to the gym are "mom hours" (right after dropping the kids off at school). My friends are all married. Opportunity for the natural, non-internet dating is not there. Last time I dated was pre-internet. Met my ex husband at a keg party while he held my feet. I don't think that's going to work this time around.
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    Options
    I've just come off POF (again) It destroyed what was left of my self esteem last time and this time proved that was no fluke. If you can succeed online, then more power to you! Under 6ft and ugly = no replies unless they are in their 50s and obese. (Check out my back photo, ugly apparently.)

I've googled how difficult it is for men on pof. Horrible, horrible site.

Those women were crazy........if I was single and in your area, I would've given you a chance, and you are not ugly so stop it. (given that you didn't turn out to be a crazy *kitten* stalker or anything)

Seriously, I might as well be Quasimodo, the women on there are SO up themselves it's untrue! I'm in the UK by the way.

I've taken screengrabs of the only women on there NOT to find me ugly and saved them to my photobucket. You'd be amazed at what men are reduced to believing they are worthy of dating on there. If anybody wants to see the pic, pm me and I'll send you the link.

Stalking? What a waste of energy, I'd rather have a cup of tea!

You crack me up. But I totally believe you. It's really sad what women (and men) will do or say to the opposite sex. It's very demeaning. You would think that at some point we would all grow up.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    I would never pay for an online dating site (unless I was desperately seeking a life partner then maybe but give that 30 years)

I am on pof & okcupid and I like pof better ..okcupid is really boring and lots of 40 year olds send me weird messages

on pof its more people my age sending me weird messages and I find the younger people get less butthurt when I tell them to **** off

I have met one person from okcupid and one from pof that were worth my time though :bigsmile: :bigsmile: it just takes a lot of sifting lots and lots of use of the block button ...also you may not even find anyone with the help of online dating so do not put all your hope in it either

regardless of what site you go on
  • moya_rargh
    Options

You sir, are a beacon of hope. Great post, thank you! I actually NEED to read something like this right now to give my life hope.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I've met 1...1 person that was happy with Match. I've met dozens upon dozens that weren't.
    I personally get rejected from e-harmony, makes me weep.

I've had really great results with okcupid myself.

---
    While I may not be one of them, many people just have too many commitments to do it the old-fashioned way.
    Many women in my age group have full time jobs and children. It's hard for them to fit a date in let alone a new
    hobby. Or they could just be telling me that...it's the new...I have to do my hair.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I've just come off POF (again) It destroyed what was left of my self esteem last time and this time proved that was no fluke. If you can succeed online, then more power to you! Under 6ft and ugly = no replies unless they are in their 50s and obese. (Check out my back photo, ugly apparently.)

Yeah, if your under a certain height online you're doomed.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I've met 1...1 person that was happy with Match. I've met dozens upon dozens that weren't.
    I personally get rejected from e-harmony, makes me weep.

I've had really great results with okcupid myself.

---
    While I may not be one of them, many people just have too many commitments to do it the old-fashioned way.
    Many women in my age group have full time jobs and children. It's hard for them to fit a date in let alone a new
    hobby. Or they could just be telling me that...it's the new...I have to do my hair.

They are telling you that. Excuses evolve over time. If they wanted to see you, they'd see you.
  • moya_rargh
    Options

Yet in the real world my height has never been an issue. I'm in good shape and some of my former partners are pretty damned cute! The online arena has smashed my self belief and I now think that I'm a midget Rick Moranis :/
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options

Yet in the real world my height has never been an issue. I'm in good shape and some of my former partners are pretty damned cute!

It is crucial to remember that the absolute worst behaviors occur when someone is behind a screen and keyboard and there are no consequences for rudeness.

Most women, regardless of site, have flooded inboxes. You'd be surprised, there are women who are easily 30 lbs overweight who have 5-10 guys at a time asking them out. Using simple supply & demand principles, women can be picky, and one of the top ways they can be picky is on height. 6'0" and above, no exceptions.
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options

Most women, regardless of site, have flooded inboxes. You'd be surprised, there are women who are easily 30 lbs overweight who have 5-10 guys at a time asking them out. Using simple supply & demand principles, women can be picky, and one of the top ways they can be picky is on height. 6'0" and above, no exceptions.

So true! Online dating is bizarro world at times.

In another forum, a guy made a profile on POF of an extremely overweight woman who stated she was HIV+. She still got a ton of e-mails from men soliciting her for sex. That made me lose faith in online dating.

There are MUCH better ways to meet women if you are a normal guy looking to meet women. Meetup.com and the bar scene are much better for meeting quality women.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

True and it falsely inflates their egos. These guys are going for the easy lay by sticking to the 3's - 5's and then moving on to the next one.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

True and it falsely inflates their egos. These guys are going for the easy lay by sticking to the 3's - 5's and then moving on to the next one.

****, now you tell me.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    online dating sucks. I've dated two psychotic women from online. Seem normal at first, then the crazy comes out and you find them stalking you, sleeping in your vehicle, showing up at work, leaving weird notes on your bathroom mirror, Telling you their pregnant but not really.

Ugh.. I'm good

Nope buddy, I think you just had some bad luck with those two lol.