Match Vs eHarmony?

Options

Replies

• ProgressNotPerfection32
    Options
    I've just come off POF (again) It destroyed what was left of my self esteem last time and this time proved that was no fluke. If you can succeed online, then more power to you! Under 6ft and ugly = no replies unless they are in their 50s and obese. (Check out my back photo, ugly apparently.)

I've googled how difficult it is for men on pof. Horrible, horrible site.
    Yeah, if your under a certain height online you're doomed.

Yet in the real world my height has never been an issue. I'm in good shape and some of my former partners are pretty damned cute! The online arena has smashed my self belief and I now think that I'm a midget Rick Moranis :/

Out of sheer curiosity how tall are you?
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I've just come off POF (again) It destroyed what was left of my self esteem last time and this time proved that was no fluke. If you can succeed online, then more power to you! Under 6ft and ugly = no replies unless they are in their 50s and obese. (Check out my back photo, ugly apparently.)

Yet in the real world my height has never been an issue. I'm in good shape and some of my former partners are pretty damned cute! The online arena has smashed my self belief and I now think that I'm a midget Rick Moranis :/

A miniscule 5ft 8! Hey, with a back and *kitten* like mine, leg length ain't worth a dime, lady! :laugh:

Incidentally, did you know that only 14% of men in the US are over 6ft? That means 86% aren't worth dating, apparently...
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    To be candid, your photo makes you look a bit dour.
    Just get a new photo where you are SMILING,

A smiling picture will change your perceived energy and personality significantly. If smiling for the camera is not natural, have someone take a buch of photos, till you find one that feels natural.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    A miniscule 5ft 8! Hey, with a back and *kitten* like mine, leg length ain't worth a dime, lady! laugh

Incidentally, did you know that only 14% of men in the US are over 6ft? That means 86% aren't worth dating, apparently...

About a year ago I was craaazy over a guy who was 5'4. He had cystic fibrosis so he couldn't help his height, but even if he could, the height wasn't a big deal to me. I'm 5'7, I like taller guys, but personality trumps everything in my mind. I think most girls would think like that if you could possibly make them laugh or do something sweet within the first bit of meeting them. There's hope for you, don't stress it. (:
  • moya_rargh
    Options
    To be candid, your photo makes you look a bit dour.
    Just get a new photo where you are SMILING,

A smiling picture will change your perceived energy and personality significantly. If smiling for the camera is not natural, have someone take a buch of photos, till you find one that feels natural.

There you go, my new main photo on here is also my main one that was on there. I'm clean shaven since then (December) too.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options

Most women, regardless of site, have flooded inboxes. You'd be surprised, there are women who are easily 30 lbs overweight who have 5-10 guys at a time asking them out. Using simple supply & demand principles, women can be picky, and one of the top ways they can be picky is on height. 6'0" and above, no exceptions.
    True and it falsely inflates their egos. These guys are going for the easy lay by sticking to the 3's - 5's and then moving on to the next one.

Your analysis is spot on!
  • moya_rargh
    Options

Most women, regardless of site, have flooded inboxes. You'd be surprised, there are women who are easily 30 lbs overweight who have 5-10 guys at a time asking them out. Using simple supply & demand principles, women can be picky, and one of the top ways they can be picky is on height. 6'0" and above, no exceptions.
    True and it falsely inflates their egos. These guys are going for the easy lay by sticking to the 3's - 5's and then moving on to the next one.

Your analysis is spot on!

Indeed it is. I doubt that anybody in the average bracket is complimented/propositioned/hit on 20-30 times a month, let alone a day. It creates a false economy.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    So true! Online dating is bizarro world at times.

In another forum, a guy made a profile on POF of an extremely overweight woman who stated she was HIV+. She still got a ton of e-mails from men soliciting her for sex. That made me lose faith in online dating.

There are MUCH better ways to meet women if you are a normal guy looking to meet women. Meetup.com and the bar scene are much better for meeting quality women.

What a weird world we live in!

Meetups are mixed. The best Meetups are the ones that are centered around an activity like tennis, windsurfing, etc. The singles, generic interest (20s/30s groups, Young Professionals, etc), and dating based groups usually bring out the worst crowds. Those types of groups usually bring out more guys than girls, and the few women that come out are middling at best, and are getting their egos stroked. Best to stick with activity based groups, which are less numerous. Quality over quantity play there.

As for bars, they are a strict quantity play. Quite simply, 5 types of what would be considered by most to be higher quality venues are probably not going to bring out the quantity of prospects that a bar will bring. Caveat emptor with quantity at bars though.
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    Options

A miniscule 5ft 8! Hey, with a back and *kitten* like mine, leg length ain't worth a dime, lady! :laugh:

Isn't that about average height for a man??? Hmm...... Well I dated several guys (including my sons father) who were under 5'9". I'm taller for a woman (5'6") but have shrunk an inch in the last 10 yrs. Although I prefer taller men, it's all about personality and how my kids and I are treated.
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    Indeed it is. I doubt that anybody in the average bracket is complimented/propositioned/hit on 20-30 times a month, let alone a day. It creates a false economy.

Indeed it does.

But I do know some success stories from online dating, though I am not one of them. While it's not impossible to meet someone good, the odds are not in your favor and you need to have thick skin. You'll likely end up settling if you continue.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options

Just sort your women query by DD and above. Those are the only ones worth dating anyway.
  • moya_rargh
    Options

Indeed it does.

But I do know some success stories from online dating, though I am not one of them. While it's not impossible to meet someone good, the odds are not in your favor and you need to have thick skin. You'll likely end up settling if you continue.

I'll show you the photo of who I'm supposed to settle for on pof. I'm not exactly good looking, but sheesh! You'd turn gay!
  • superasianwoman
    Options
    Tell her not to waste her money on either and do POF (Plenty of Fish) because it's FREE and the EXACT same people are on that as Match.com
  • pursuittofit
    pursuittofit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I say, go out
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've used PoF, OkCupid and Tinder...

POF and OkCupid are the same... Except people have more information about themselves on OkCupid.

Online dating is convenient, but I typically meet better quality women in person.
  • jimilove2
    jimilove2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend on OKC! It's true. You have to weed through some crazies, but you have to do that everywhere. I don't think it's a matter of what site you use. It's how you use them.
  • catneon
    catneon Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    This just seemed appropriate...carry on
    HyntZVT.gif
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Plenty Of Fish. Where I met my husband. And it's FREE.
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Dating is always a horror story! Just laugh and prepare for some crazy people to come along.

Here's my experience with online dating sites. I've joined and gone on dates with people from all of these:

eHarmony- This website is not inclusive of gay people and has Christian undertones. It's pricey but a good place to meet people who are serious and ready to get married. In my experience it's not a great place to meet young people, but as age increases so does membership to this site.

Match- A little less expensive than eHarmony, although not cheap/free. It's an inclusive site, but still not super plentiful when it comes to the younger crowd. If you're looking for 30+ though Match is a good place, and most people are serious about finding someone since they have to pay to join.

OkCupid- Best place to meet the 20s crowd because it's free. There's an app that makes it easy to keep up with, and it feels like just another social media outlet. The only problem is that there are a lot of people just looking for a one-night stand on this site because of the free factor. Also expect a huge influx of messages that will have to be sorted through at least in the beginning.

PlentyofPhish- Total cluster! Tons of creeps. Extremely difficult to meet anyone worthwhile and the interface is out of date and hard to navigate.

In the end I met my fiancé the old fashioned way. But I have had several boyfriends whom I met online along the way. Also several crazy dating stories to drag out over cocktails with girlfriends.

Happy hunting! May the odds be ever in your favor!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options

why the hell is a women who is consider a "3-5" on some made up scale of worthiness/attractiveness considered an *easy lay* ?