MFP Runner's Club

Replies

• gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    I read somewhere to make the shape of the letters of the alphabet with your foot slanted down and that stretches the muscles in your shins. I would get it checked after the race next week. Good luck! I bet you will shave some time off with the crowd being there etc!
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Hello my fellow runners!

Well I haven't ran the last few days ago because my marathon was sunday as most of you know... but I went to a running store to get fitted for shoes because nikes just aren't doing it for me, I think I just wear them cause they look the best haha but I don't think they give me enough support and I came to the finish line with blisters and blood in my socks (yea ew!)

Anyways I got some Brooks running shoes so I was just wondering if any of you have these and what you think, they felt good in the store so I'm hoping I like them and they seem to be popular but anyways let me know please. I love to see so many people running, I can't wait to get back out there, running in a race just makes you love it more! :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • VballLeash
    I had a good run today -- 6 miles -- and am headed off for some camping in the Shenandoah mountains tomorrow! Woo hoo! hope you all have a fabulous weekend -- and pray that the mountain trails don't kill me on my long run!

I love running on mountain trails! I never really get too but I have a few times and it was a blast plus the calorie burn is way higher than flat road, have fun!!!

• RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    OK Leash.....you can't pop in and not give us some post mortem on the marathon.

So, the feet are bad and you are smart to convert to brooks. Nike's are notorious for small toe box and bloody toes. I love saucony, new balance, and asics myself. Any black toenails too?

How bout them legs? It's crazy isn't it? Love to hear more if you care to share, anyone in the marathon club know's all about it.

Raymond
  • VballLeash

So, the feet are bad and you are smart to convert to brooks. Nike's are notorious for small toe box and bloody toes. I love saucony, new balance, and asics myself. Any black toenails too?

How bout them legs? It's crazy isn't it? Love to hear more if you care to share, anyone in the marathon club know's all about it.

Raymond

haha ok yea heres the update...

I'm feeling pretty darn good! I do have a couple toe nails that are about to fall off and all I have to say to that is ow!!! My legs actually weren't ever sore but my sides and shoulders were but today is the best I've felt, I did get a bit of a flu on tuesday and wednesday and everyone said its cause my immune system is just down but I'm feeling good today so hopefully I can start running again in a couple days, I do have to get my knee checked out cause its been giving me some trouble so keep your fingers crossed for that! Thanks for the feedback on brooks, I did try on new balance but they didnt feel as good. Happy runnin!

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    No distance for me today.

Weights/Circuits/Intervals :smile:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    9 mile bike/ 5K run for me tonight. 2 days til my triathlon!!

And... the 5K was with my dh!! He did it! He is going to be so ready for the 5K next weekend, I'm super proud of him! :drinker:
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    9 mile bike/ 5K run for me tonight. 2 days til my triathlon!!

And... the 5K was with my dh!! He did it! He is going to be so ready for the 5K next weekend, I'm super proud of him! :drinker:
    Hi Jess, good luck with the triathlon.:flowerforyou:

On week 1 of second round of P90X. Doing doubles, using my run days instead of cardio X, so keeping busy here.
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    no run today.....elliptical because it was raining, for some reason i just cant bring my self to run on a treadmill its so boring! Also did weight training too! Hopefully it will stop raining tommorrow long enough for me to get my run in!:bigsmile:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member

Raymond

I'm feeling pretty darn good! I do have a couple toe nails that are about to fall off and all I have to say to that is ow!!! My legs actually weren't ever sore but my sides and shoulders were but today is the best I've felt, I did get a bit of a flu on tuesday and wednesday and everyone said its cause my immune system is just down but I'm feeling good today so hopefully I can start running again in a couple days, I do have to get my knee checked out cause its been giving me some trouble so keep your fingers crossed for that! Thanks for the feedback on brooks, I did try on new balance but they didnt feel as good. Happy runnin!

I wear brooks, and after my old running shoes, they felt like the most wonderful thing on earth. Nikes do look the best, but I'll take function over fashion any day :laugh:

Ran 3 miles today, not great, not bad. Almost up to the point where I could do the 5k (hell, I could probably do it now if I wanted), so I'm feeling pretty confident about the 1.5 miler on saturday. I'll just be slow... I need to work on speed.

Also I think I figured out what was up with my shin... for some reason the laces on my right foot were tighter than the left, and the tongue of the shoe had moved over. Combine that with some ample stretching before the run and I was pain free. w00t!
  • jessmomof3
    Hi Jess, good luck with the triathlon.:flowerforyou:

On week 1 of second round of P90X. Doing doubles, using my run days instead of cardio X, so keeping busy here.

Hey Tom! Great to see ya posting again! Sounds like you are doing great and definitely keeping busy!! :wink: Thanks, I'm looking forward to the tri!!

Jess
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Hey everyone...six-mile easy run today - although it wasn't so easy.:tongue: Had some belly issues. I'm just getting so frustrated with the eating-running thing. Ugh. Can't seem to get through a run without feeling off.

Jess - best of luck with your tri! You're amazing!
  • jessmomof3

Oh yeah, gotta love those lost toenails!! :huh: I've lost my big ones while marathon training and I always tend to lose the middle one on my right foot after every half??

As for shoes, I'm an Asics gal. GT-2140's now, started w/ the GT-2110's. I won't run in anything else. Nikes are all about fashion, NOT function. I have tried Adidas and Brooks but will stick w/ my Asics!!

Jess
  • Lesli
    Lesli Posts: 46 Member
    jessmomof3~
    Can't wait to hear about your triathlon...mine's in August!
  • RunRideRay
    Have fun Jess. The Tri's are usually intense gigs. Runners are an easy going bunch. The usual 5k-10k race and about 20% of the runners actually think they are going to win. In Tri, well, they ALL think they are going to win it seems. It's fun, but crazy. I used to be a competitive Tri person so feel free to email any questions about transitions, pre-race, etc... I've done the drill dozens of times. Practice the T1 and T2 big time. You won't have a brain once you get out of the water, trust me.

Thanks Leash!!! I was commenting to another runner about toenails. It's a right of passage with the distance stuff. I've bled thru some shoes too. Great to hear you are feeling better and glad your "tripping" on the high. Great Job!

Raymond
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    5 miles today. sharp knee pains on mile 5. Time 47:22

Went to the orthopedic doc yesterday and he pretty much told me not to run, or to slow down and cut distance, and told me not to do squats or lunges. He then preceded to tell me that 'I should see the problems that come in his office, like people who can't walk. ' THEN he said you 'have 3 kids to take care of , why would you worry about running a marathon.' So, I'm thinking what the hell. I left furious with an order to get an MRI, and I was in tears. Long story short, I didn't go to him because i couldn't walk-- I went to him because I had knee pain when I run. Isn't it his job to fix that, or am i asking too much? Should I see a sports med doc. or will he tell me the same thing. Will all docs tell you NOT to run?

Am I supposed to sit on my *kitten* til my bones and muscles deteriorate then go to him when I'm 60.??!!
  • RunRideRay
    Yikes Sonia, that really sucks! I have always tried to find runner friendly doctors and physical therapists. You got the easy answer, that's too bad. I had a case when I was super fit and would pass out with a low heart rate (it happened at work once). Hooked me up to EKG and other machines. Doc said to stop running and try to increase my cholesterol. Duh! No way!

Second opinion big time. I had bad knee pain once and a physical therapist nailed it with some stretches. Maybe a miracle too, but I recommend asking around and see if there is someone that can better relate to a runner.

Raymond
  • VballLeash

Oh yeah, gotta love those lost toenails!! :huh: I've lost my big ones while marathon training and I always tend to lose the middle one on my right foot after every half??

As for shoes, I'm an Asics gal. GT-2140's now, started w/ the GT-2110's. I won't run in anything else. Nikes are all about fashion, NOT function. I have tried Adidas and Brooks but will stick w/ my Asics!!

Jess

Yea the asics were a little wide on me so we'll see how the brooks work out, good luck on your tri, I'm sure you'll do great! :happy: :happy:

• VballLeash
    5 miles today. sharp knee pains on mile 5. Time 47:22

Went to the orthopedic doc yesterday and he pretty much told me not to run, or to slow down and cut distance, and told me not to do squats or lunges. He then preceded to tell me that 'I should see the problems that come in his office, like people who can't walk. ' THEN he said you 'have 3 kids to take care of , why would you worry about running a marathon.' So, I'm thinking what the hell. I left furious with an order to get an MRI, and I was in tears. Long story short, I didn't go to him because i couldn't walk-- I went to him because I had knee pain when I run. Isn't it his job to fix that, or am i asking too much? Should I see a sports med doc. or will he tell me the same thing. Will all docs tell you NOT to run?

Am I supposed to sit on my *kitten* til my bones and muscles deteriorate then go to him when I'm 60.??!!

I have knee problems too, I'm actually going to the doctor tomorrow to hopefully get a referral to the orthopedic! I'm hoping that its my shoes but I'm not sure. Your doc seemed to be really inconsiderate, he must not have been a sports medicine orthopedic. Don't give up though, make sure you just ice a lot, there are also exercises that a physical therapist should be able to give you that would help. I used to do that when I had knee problems from vb, good luck and keep working toward your fitness goals, you will hopefully find something that works!

• annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Black toenails....Knee injuries....shin splints.... bleeding through your shoes ....OMG! :noway:

What the h*ll am I getting myself into with all this running!?!?! :wink:

You guys are scaring the newbie :happy: Good thing that I love it!
This discussion has been closed.