MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    My youngest has been asking to run a 5K and after going to packet pick-up with me, she REALLY wants to try. Advice on training with a 9 year old. She has run the mile for school and had a 3:31 on the 800 for presidential testing. I'm just not even sure where to start.

She can do it. I coach girls her age (8-12yo) to run a 5k through a program called Girls on the Run. This is a nationwide program. Check your local listing to find a program near you. The program not only prepares the girls for the race it gives them important self esteem building tools to deal with some issues that they may face or be facing.

If you don't have a program near you, pm me and I'll give you some advice on how to diy.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    This is my rest day :wink:
    I hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday, Kechie you continue to inspire me!!

GO LEASH!!! I can't wait to hear back from her on how the marathon went
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • natalie523
    natalie523 Posts: 12
    Options
    I just want to say good job to everyone on what they are accomplishing! You guys are all awesome:drinker: I got ten miles in today, that is the farthest that I have ever gone! I am so proud of my self. I woke up this morning kind of nervous because the most I have ever run is 8 miles so I tried to get over that mental block and after that it was great! I paced my self and I went more for distance than for time. I am so freaking happy that I did it:happy:
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I just want to say good job to everyone on what they are accomplishing! You guys are all awesome:drinker: I got ten miles in today, that is the farthest that I have ever gone! I am so proud of my self. I woke up this morning kind of nervous because the most I have ever run is 8 miles so I tried to get over that mental block and after that it was great! I paced my self and I went more for distance than for time. I am so freaking happy that I did it:happy:

CONGRATS! THAT'S REALLY GREAT! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • natalie523
    natalie523 Posts: 12
    Options
    Ahmee2034, thanks I really appreciate that:) It really does feel great:laugh:
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking a lot about running a 5K. You all are inspiring me!
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Way to go everybody! Y'all are posting some awesome distances!!! You are so inspiring!!! :drinker:

Rest day today. I've been cleaning all morning...I'd rather be running!

Becky
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Did my 5K today, and that is really starting to get a lot more comfortable for me.

I have a question for those of you who run longer distances: how long do you stick with one distance before adding on to it? I'm looking forward to adding on, but kind of nervous about it too. I don't want to to stay where I am for so long that I get a mental block about moving forward. Just wanted some input from more experienced runners...thanks!
  • Lesli
    Lesli Posts: 46 Member
    Options

That's awesome! I hope to be there one day!
  • Lesli
    Lesli Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Went to St. Louis this weekend to visit family. I got in a quick 2.5 miles and took a "barbell" class with my sister-in-law at her gym.
    Today I ran about 3.5 miles. All of the long distance runners are truly inspiring!
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    My body needs a rest day but my brain doesnt want to. I really want to get out there. I am just going to wake up early and go in the morning. It will be officially 10 days till the 5K tomorrow!!! Yeeeaaahhh!!!:happy:
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Did my 5K today, and that is really starting to get a lot more comfortable for me.

I have a question for those of you who run longer distances: how long do you stick with one distance before adding on to it? I'm looking forward to adding on, but kind of nervous about it too. I don't want to to stay where I am for so long that I get a mental block about moving forward. Just wanted some input from more experienced runners...thanks!

That is awesome news! Way to go Shuntae!

I have always followed the recommendation of not increasing your mileage by more than 10% a week. I keep adding on weekly unless I feel tired later that day, have trouble sleeping that night, or feel sore. If I experience any overtraining symptoms, I just repeat the week until I feel "normal".

Here is a sample schedule:
    Week one: Run 2 miles all 3 days
    Week two: Run 2 miles 2 days. Then run 3 miles 1 day
    Week three: Run 2miles 1 day. Run 3 miles 1 day. Then Run 4 miles 1 day.
    Week four: Run 2miles 1 day. Run 3 miles 1 day. Then Run 5 miles 1 day.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    Options
    My body needs a rest day but my brain doesnt want to. I really want to get out there. I am just going to wake up early and go in the morning. It will be officially 10 days till the 5K tomorrow!!! Yeeeaaahhh!!!:happy:

Whoo hoo, how exciting! I'm running my first 5K on June 28 and I can't wait!!!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    Options

That is awesome news! Way to go Shuntae!

I have always followed the recommendation of not increasing your mileage by more than 10% a week. I keep adding on weekly unless I feel tired later that day, have trouble sleeping that night, or feel sore. If I experience any overtraining symptoms, I just repeat the week until I feel "normal".

Here is a sample schedule:
    Week one: Run 2 miles all 3 days
    Week two: Run 2 miles 2 days. Then run 3 miles 1 day
    Week three: Run 2miles 1 day. Run 3 miles 1 day. Then Run 4 miles 1 day.
    Week four: Run 2miles 1 day. Run 3 miles 1 day. Then Run 5 miles 1 day.

Thanks for your input! I hit the 3 mile mark about 2 weeks ago and just wasn't sure how I wanted to proceed after it. Right now, I have been trying to improve my times in preparation for my 5k next month but maybe I will add a little bit onto one of my runs this week.
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    Shuntae: Kechie's suggestion is a great one. There is also a "program" of sorts called "One Hour Runner." That is what I followed after I completed Couch to 5K. It helped me increase milage. I find I do best when I have a program to follow or an event to plan for.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!!!!

Well I just got back from my marathon and it was GREAT! I did it in a little over 4 hours and I ran the whole time, I'm pretty happy with that especially since it was my first. There were 20,000 people running it, it was really cool! Plus, there were people cheering you on the entire 26.2 miles, I couldn't believe it. At mile 17 I was starting to feel it but then someone gave me an otter pop and omg it helped sooo much, so eat otter pops on your long runs I guess haha!

I just want to say if you don't think you could ever run a marathon YOU CAN! Seriously, don't give up, you just have to work your way up but you can do it!

I will post pictures in a few days... Keep running everyone! :happy: :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • VballLeash
    Options
    Oh, and thanks for all the good lucks, I really appreciate it! :happy: :happy:

• kechiemc
    Options
    Hey Everyone!!!!

Well I just got back from my marathon and it was GREAT! I did it in a little over 4 hours and I ran the whole time, I'm pretty happy with that especially since it was my first. There were 20,000 people running it, it was really cool! Plus, there were people cheering you on the entire 26.2 miles, I couldn't believe it. At mile 17 I was starting to feel it but then someone gave me an otter pop and omg it helped sooo much, so eat otter pops on your long runs I guess haha!

I just want to say if you don't think you could ever run a marathon YOU CAN! Seriously, don't give up, you just have to work your way up but you can do it!

Yay Alicia! Awesome time too!

Here is the link to a very funny video titled Day After a Marathon:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-hCuYjvw2I

Thanks for sharing your story.:heart:
  • VballLeash
    Options
    Hey Everyone!!!!

Yay Alicia! Awesome time too!

Here is the link to a very funny video titled Day After a Marathon:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-hCuYjvw2I

Thanks for sharing your story.:heart:

haha thats pretty funny kechie! I hope I'm not like that!

• 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, Leesh! Wonderful job!!