MFP Runner's Club

Options
kechiemc
kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
Happy Friday!:flowerforyou:

Welcome to MFP Runner's Club

We are a friendly group that posts to this post daily. We post about our runs, walks, rests, and cross training. We hope to support and inspire you on your journey.

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Kechie and others!

I did not sleep very well last night. I don't know if it had anything to do with my 7 miles yesterday evening or not...but I feel good today.

The plan is 3 miles this evening for me. Tomorrow is my 5k! :smile:

Happy Friday!
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Would love to join in -- and get inspired!!!

I ran 5.5 miles today -- training for a 1/2 marathon in September.

oh -- and Happy Friday to you all -- let the countdown to the weekend begin!!!
  • rwalden628
    rwalden628 Posts: 54
    Options
    Hello, MFP Runners!

I just signed up for MIT (Marathoner's In Training) and start my half marathon training tomorrow morning! So excited!!! I know my diet is going to have to change drastically to properly fuel my body. Any tips/advice from you pros?

Thanks!
    86075.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Hello, MFP Runners!

I just signed up for MIT (Marathoner's In Training) and start my half marathon training tomorrow morning! So excited!!! I know my diet is going to have to change drastically to properly fuel my body. Any tips/advice from you pros?

Thanks!
    86075.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

Eat! lol Thats my advice. Seriously though, make sure that you refuel your body with carbs and protein, its very important for runners to make sure to eat enough. A good after run drink is chocolate milk, or I drink chocolate soy milk. Also get good running shoes, this is one thing you need to spend some money on, go to a running store and get fitted and they can help you choose a good one. Goodluck....! :happy:

~Leash :heart:

And no running for me, I really need a day off, my knee is killing me :grumble: so frustrated with it!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ran my very first mile and a half, and because I'm a masochist it was on an extremely hilly/mostly uphill course. I just wanted to show myself that I can definitely handle the 1.5mi race I have scheduled for the 6th of June. Hard to believe I'm the same person who a) 5 weeks ago couldn't run one minute without gasping for air and b) thought he'd never be able to run a mile.

Now I just have to work on getting faster. But I'm going to wait til I'm done with c25k for that.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Good Morning Kechie and others!

I did not sleep very well last night. I don't know if it had anything to do with my 7 miles yesterday evening or not...but I feel good today.

The plan is 3 miles this evening for me. Tomorrow is my 5k! :smile:

Happy Friday!

Have fun at the 5K. Can't wait to hear all about it.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Would love to join in -- and get inspired!!!

I ran 5.5 miles today -- training for a 1/2 marathon in September.

oh -- and Happy Friday to you all -- let the countdown to the weekend begin!!!

Welcome! Congratulations on your half marathon goal. I'm doing a half in November. Is this your first?
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Hello, MFP Runners!

Thanks!

Eat! lol Thats my advice. Seriously though, make sure that you refuel your body with carbs and protein, its very important for runners to make sure to eat enough. A good after run drink is chocolate milk, or I drink chocolate soy milk. Also get good running shoes, this is one thing you need to spend some money on, go to a running store and get fitted and they can help you choose a good one. Goodluck....! :happy:

~Leash :heart:

Ditto! Your body needs fuel to run. I always have chocolate milk after my "long"runs.

Also, check out Runner's World for a training plan. I used the Smart Coach tool last year to train and race without injury. Plus, I finished 12 minutes faster than my goal time.

You can do it!
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Yesterday I ran my very first mile and a half, and because I'm a masochist it was on an extremely hilly/mostly uphill course. I just wanted to show myself that I can definitely handle the 1.5mi race I have scheduled for the 6th of June. Hard to believe I'm the same person who a) 5 weeks ago couldn't run one minute without gasping for air and b) thought he'd never be able to run a mile.

Now I just have to work on getting faster. But I'm going to wait til I'm done with c25k for that.

Way to go! I too used c25k to get started running. I still remember not being able to run a minute. Last year I ran a half marathon. Hang in there. With consistency, you will get better!
  • jabdye
    Options
    Yes -- I'm VERY excited! the marathon entry included a training program through New Balance. Hopefully I will be ready! My long run average about 10 miles -- but I usually run on a treadmill (have 2 small kids). So the hardest part is getting outside and getting used to the heat and humidity!
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    msarro, you are an inspiration to us all! Congrats on your run!! I know you've been working on the couch to 5k program (so am I :smile: ). I also run on a hilly course - it's an excellent workout!

jabdye, welcome to the runners club! We're glad to have you.

Eating - go figure! Who would have known that you could lose weight AND eat well!

I'm going running tonight and am so excited about it! I'm going to try to do 3 miles if I can. My legs and hiney are still sore from my run on Wednesday so I'm going to have to try to work through it tonight.

Happy Friday to all (woo hoo, the start of a 3 day weekend!!)

Ketchie, thanks so much for starting this thread. I'm really glad you're here for us.
  • annaliza
    Options
    Yes -- I'm VERY excited! the marathon entry included a training program through New Balance. Hopefully I will be ready! My long run average about 10 miles -- but I usually run on a treadmill (have 2 small kids). So the hardest part is getting outside and getting used to the heat and humidity!

Do you use New Balance shoes? Are they decent running shoes?
  • jabdye
    Options
    Good luck on your run -- just crank up some good tunes and run forrest run!!!
  • jabdye
    Options
    I've been trying them all lately -- I've tried Mizuno -- Saucony -- and currently have Etonics. There is a great running store in my area. The owner measured and fitted me -- even had me runon the treadmill to see if I pronated -- and although I was set on Saucony, I switched to Etonic. they are great -- just got them last month so we'll how they wear. Definitely invest in good shoes -- that's one thing I do not skimp on!
  • kechiemc
    Options
    By the way, I did not run today. I am scheduled to rest today. However, I may head out for a run later tonight anyway. My stress levels are pretty high b/c my mother in law will be riding in on her broom this weekend.:sick:

Wishing everyone a fun, safe, looooong weekend!:drinker:
  • jabdye
    Options
    By the way, I did not run today. I am scheduled to rest today. However, I may head out for a run later tonight anyway. My stress levels are pretty high b/c my mother in law will be riding in on her broom this weekend.:sick:

Running is definitely good for your soul! I always have a whole new perspective after a run! Good luck with the monster-in-law :grumble:

enjoy your weekend -- and your stress-relieving run!
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all! TGIF!!!!!! It's date night tonight, so I'm STOKED! I ran 8.25 miles today with some lifting after. It felt awesome! Happy weekend!!!
  • annaliza
    Options
    I've been trying them all lately -- I've tried Mizuno -- Saucony -- and currently have Etonics. There is a great running store in my area. The owner measured and fitted me -- even had me runon the treadmill to see if I pronated -- and although I was set on Saucony, I switched to Etonic. they are great -- just got them last month so we'll how they wear. Definitely invest in good shoes -- that's one thing I do not skimp on!

Oh I'm so jealous!! I would love to go into a store and just have them measure and fit me. I just started running and haven't convinced my husband that I need to invest in really good shoes. Don't get me wrong, he believes in good shoes, but I think he's waiting to see if I'll stick with it before we start spending a lot of money ( I just started running though I've been walking for years) (lol, and plus I keep wanting all these other gadgets, like HRM and dvd's). I did get a pair of New Balance shoes (which is why I asked) ...it wasn't too expensive and not the bottom of the line so those will work for the time being. At least until I can get to a store where I can get fitted for shoes :happy:
  • annaliza
    Options

Whew, I know where you're coming from there. :laugh:

Good luck tonight!
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Today is a rest day--my apartment has exploded from all the neglect this week. I have been so focused on running--need to do some cleaning up! I did get a new sports bra and got another pair of my shoes!! Yay! Have a good weekend.