MFP Runner's Club

Replies

• NaiLo
    NaiLo Posts: 39
    hi everyone!! I have just started running, I usually go in the morning about five times a week :) I love to run, but I have been having problems with my shins :( I am going to start a beginners jogging program that will hopefully help my legs to become stronger. I will probably have tons of questions for you all! I hope that I can find some great support and encouragement, and maybe some good advice too!
    Hope you are all having a great day!!
    Any time you are getting sore from running, check out your shoes. If you are near a running store, have them check out your foot type and gait to make sure you have shoes that are right for you.
    The other thing is to remember to stretch well after running. Most everybody stretches their quads and hamstrings, but don't forget to stretch your shins. Goes a long way to help with shin splints.

:) thank you for the advice! I just got a new pair of Asics that I was told should help, but I am still having the shin pains. I do Yoga after my runs, so im not sure if I need to do more stretching still (?) oh well, I am just taking my time, and hopefully those muscles will get stronger.
    I am wondering if anyone could tell me how they figure out how many miles they run, I have a timex heart rate monitor, but im just learning how to use it. Any suggestions on how I can find how how far I run (without buying a pedometer watch) lol :)
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Rainman: WIll you be running Dam to Dam this weekend? I see you are in IA.

I am not doing Dam to Dam, and want to try it some year. Many of my friends are doing this race and heard all good things about it. Good luck, and enjoy it.

I am starting to get my miles up and did a 14 last Friday. Need to get another teen run in this weekend sometime. I have lost about 15 lbs since mid April and can enjoy running again… hooray! So, I am trying to pick 1 or 2 regional marathons to do this fall, any recommendations?

What’s on my list to consider:
    - Omaha
    - Mason City
    - Quad Cities
    - Des Moines, done it 2x already but it’s a great race with limited hassles
    - Lakefront in Milwaukee
    - North Face Endurance challenge near Madison, 50k, or maybe 50m if I can be ready

What’s NOT on my list:
    - Chicago, I have done it 3x already
    - Twin Cities, I have done it 2x already
    - Both are amazing races, but I have had my fill.

Any advice?

BTW, I love the quote too. I am a big bible fella myself.
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member

I am wondering if anyone could tell me how they figure out how many miles they run, I have a timex heart rate monitor, but im just learning how to use it. Any suggestions on how I can find how how far I run (without buying a pedometer watch) lol :)

The majority of my runs are in my neighborhood, so I basically drove my route and noted where each mile begins and ends. For my long runs I choose paths that are marked by the mile. www.mapmyfitness.com is a great place to go to measure new routes where mileage isn't marked. I use this site a lot to map new running routes and to log my training.

Hope that helps!
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Wasn't feeling it today, so only got 3.5 miles in today.

Boy, traffic on this thread has really picked up this we switched from the daily thread. Lots of great ideas and advice.:happy:
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,458 Member
    Rainman: WIll you be running Dam to Dam this weekend? I see you are in IA.

I am not doing Dam to Dam, and want to try it some year. Many of my friends are doing this race and heard all good things about it. Good luck, and enjoy it.

I am starting to get my miles up and did a 14 last Friday. Need to get another teen run in this weekend sometime. I have lost about 15 lbs since mid April and can enjoy running again… hooray! So, I am trying to pick 1 or 2 regional marathons to do this fall, any recommendations?

What’s on my list to consider:
    - Omaha
    - Mason City
    - Quad Cities
    - Des Moines, done it 2x already but it’s a great race with limited hassles
    - Lakefront in Milwaukee
    - North Face Endurance challenge near Madison, 50k, or maybe 50m if I can be ready

What’s NOT on my list:
    - Chicago, I have done it 3x already
    - Twin Cities, I have done it 2x already
    - Both are amazing races, but I have had my fill.

Any advice?

BTW, I love the quote too. I am a big bible fella myself.

I've only done the DM Marathon as part of a relay team. Great fun!!! That's the only marathon experience I've had. What about Grandma's Marathon up in Duluth? I've also considered Omaha, but half only. It's good to hear about the Twin Cities. I've considered halfing up there too, as I have family there.
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    I did 5 miles today in 38:34. That's my best time so far for 5. U guys were talking about how many days in a row to rest before running again and about weights. I am running 4 days, lifting 6 days-alternating between arms and legs, and on the days I dont run, Im doing spin class and the elliptic machine. I rest on Sundays. I was wondering if maybe I'm doing too much? I don't really know because, I just got a membership at a gym and started all this with out any instruction. So maybe this is why I'm not really losing weight???
    146230.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • hessied
    Yay! Got my run outside in today. Did 8.2 and feeling pretty good.

:bigsmile:
  • hessied
    I did 5 miles today in 38:34.

Wow, Christine. You're crazy fast! Way to crank out that 7-1/2 minute/mile pace.
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Can I join? I'm currently doing the c25k program, finished w8d2 yesterday. W9d3 actually turns out to be next Saturday and I'm registered for my first 5k that day! I'm excited and nervous...I'm running with 2 friends and we are doing the program based on time, so yesterday we ran 28 straight minutes, which worked out to be just a little less than 3 miles, as per mapmyrun.com. It is hard to be exact because some of the run is on a trail, but through some woods. Somebody already asked, but I would also like to know, what gadget do you use to track distance? I'm hoping to get a hrm for my 41st b-day, which is next month, because by then I will have proved to myself that running is part of my life for good!

Reading throught this thread has been such as inspiration. I'm hoping to continue challenging myself but starting the 1 hour running program, as soon as c25k is finished!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Good afternoon:flowerforyou:

5 mile speedwork run for me today. It felt so good to run like someone was chasing me.:laugh:

Speedwork Run:
    1 easy paced mile to warm up
    1 mile @ 9:00 minute mile pace (very hard for me)
    1/2 mile jog to recover
    1 mile @ 9:00 minute mile pace (my actual average for this one was 10:00 minute mile)
    1/2 mile jog to recover
    1 easy paced mile to cool down

It is smokin hot and humid here!

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    I did 5 miles today in 38:34. That's my best time so far for 5. U guys were talking about how many days in a row to rest before running again and about weights. I am running 4 days, lifting 6 days-alternating between arms and legs, and on the days I dont run, Im doing spin class and the elliptic machine. I rest on Sundays. I was wondering if maybe I'm doing too much? I don't really know because, I just got a membership at a gym and started all this with out any instruction. So maybe this is why I'm not really losing weight???
    146230.png

Holy cow!!! That's awesome. I have a dream.....
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Can I join? I'm currently doing the c25k program, finished w8d2 yesterday. W9d3 actually turns out to be next Saturday and I'm registered for my first 5k that day! I'm excited and nervous...I'm running with 2 friends and we are doing the program based on time, so yesterday we ran 28 straight minutes, which worked out to be just a little less than 3 miles, as per mapmyrun.com. It is hard to be exact because some of the run is on a trail, but through some woods. Somebody already asked, but I would also like to know, what gadget do you use to track distance? I'm hoping to get a hrm for my 41st b-day, which is next month, because by then I will have proved to myself that running is part of my life for good!

Reading throught this thread has been such as inspiration. I'm hoping to continue challenging myself but starting the 1 hour running program, as soon as c25k is finished!
    Hi and Welcome! I'm getting ready to hit the big 4-0 in 13 days (and counting :angry: )
    Good luck in the 5k! Can't wait to hear about it. My first 5k was a disaster -- did EVERYTHING wrong -- but learned a lot -- escpecially what NOT to do :)

Have a great day! today was a lifting day for me -- and I am hating those days -- just don't get the endorphin high that running gives!!! Running again tomorrow!
  • Lesli
    Lesli Posts: 46 Member
    Rainman, I am a new to running and you have answered many of my questions...thanks so much!

Today I did my first "brick" workout. I rode my bike for about 25 minutes, got off and then ran 1.6 miles. It was weird, but not too horrible.

My first sprint triathlon is in August! I have a long way to go, but am getting there! I can also tell I'm starting to tighten up and I feel it's because of tracking my calories and cutting out a lot of sugar.:smile:

Hopefully the weight will start coming off in the next few weeks!
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    146230.png

Holy cow!!! That's awesome. I have a dream.....
    That's on a treadmill though. I run much faster on a treadmill for some reason...It could be the numbers looking up at me. I'm so competitive that every time I run I try to beat my last time. That will not be able to continue very much longer! I thought I was gonna pass out after my run this morning!:yawn: 146230.png
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809

Hi and Welcome! I'm getting ready to hit the big 4-0 in 13 days (and counting :angry: )
    Good luck in the 5k! Can't wait to hear about it. My first 5k was a disaster -- did EVERYTHING wrong -- but learned a lot -- escpecially what NOT to do :)

Have a great day! today was a lifting day for me -- and I am hating those days -- just don't get the endorphin high that running gives!!! Running again tomorrow!

Oh wow, I didn't even know you could do anything wrong....lol, I guess I figured you just run.

I've never ran in a race, heck, I've never even seen one except for a few snatches on the tv before it got changed.

Would you mind giving us some tips on what not to do? I'd like to run a 5k someday....

Thanks everyone for your advice! I think I'm going to increase my runs to 4 days a week (yay!!!).
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    146230.png

I am NOWHERE near that fast. My best 5 mile time is 50 minutes on a flat course. But your workout schedule looks very similar to mine. I do 3-4 hours a day, 6 days a week. Running 4 days a week, weights~ at least 5, yoga, pilates or abs 6 days, and elliptical and cycle about 6 days a week. I had a really good initial weight loss when I WASNT eating all my exercise calories. When I started going over 1800 calories (regardless of the MFP recommendation ) my weight has come to a screeching halt.
    So, it's back to fewer calories, but the same workout schedule. Although, Idid just get P90X so my weight training program will change somewhat, I know others may argue with me over eating the exercise calories, I'm just sharing what has worked or not worked for me so far!
    Becky

BTW~ AWESOME time on your 5 miles! :drinker:
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,458 Member
    QUESTION: How much water should I get in tomorrow before my 20K Saturday morning?
  • RunRideRay
    Rainman, I am a new to running and you have answered many of my questions...thanks so much!

Today I did my first "brick" workout. I rode my bike for about 25 minutes, got off and then ran 1.6 miles. It was weird, but not too horrible.

My first sprint triathlon is in August! I have a long way to go, but am getting there! I can also tell I'm starting to tighten up and I feel it's because of tracking my calories and cutting out a lot of sugar.:smile:

Hopefully the weight will start coming off in the next few weeks!

Glad the advice helps! Good job on the brick workouts, the legs sure do get wobbly bike to run transition. It's good you are working on it already. Feel free to ask any Tri-questions, T1, T2, Shoes, gears, whatever. Try eating a banana an hour before workouts, it's amazing how it can help. It converts very quickly to energy, without adding a ton of cals to the overall diet. I'll try to get a post on how to train and loose weight, it's tricky.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    No run for me today...did some strength training and I am definitely feeling it.
  • RunRideRay
    QUESTION: How much water should I get in tomorrow before my 20K Saturday morning?

Most important is to drink the day before. Get those blood sugards topped off. So, 2 quarts of Gatorade on Friday, with lot's of water. Saturday morning is a touch and go program. Depends on temp and how you feel. Usually 10 to 20 ounces before the race are fine. Hit water at the first water break and keep drinking sport drink the entire race. GOOD LUCK!
This discussion has been closed.