MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your well wishes. I called my regular doctor and I have an appt on Sunday morning. Who knew he had hours then. Anyway, I have been doing some self diagnosising and if my suspions are correct it does not look good me. From everything I read it sounds like I may have a stress fracture of my tibia. Like I said this is strictly self diagnosising :smokin: but all the symptoms I have read are exactly my symptons. Treatment is 8-12 w/o running and lots of low impact cardio and strength training. I guess no bootcamp either. :sad:
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    wow Sherry -- hope everything is okay -- keep us posted!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your well wishes. I called my regular doctor and I have an appt on Sunday morning. Who knew he had hours then. Anyway, I have been doing some self diagnosising and if my suspions are correct it does not look good me. From everything I read it sounds like I may have a stress fracture of my tibia. Like I said this is strictly self diagnosising :smokin: but all the symptoms I have read are exactly my symptons. Treatment is 8-12 w/o running and lots of low impact cardio and strength training. I guess no bootcamp either. :sad:

OH NO!! I'm sorry :cry: I hope the doc says it's not that bad!!!

I ran 5 miles this morning
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

Oh no!!! You know what, my running buddy has the same thing. She has been biking and swimming like crazy to recover. She qualified for Boston in April and ran a PR half marathon time May 2nd. She has taken the whole month of May off from running.

but... her Dr. told her that some running is ok and strength training will really help also!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    It was a BRICK for me- 24 mile hilly bike and 1 mile run (7 min mile!!! Woohoo!). Felt great to get out there and got some sun too! :bigsmile:
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Completed 3 miles for the first time in my life! We were on w8d3 of c25k and were going to run for 28 minutes (2.75 miles), but after 28 minutes we felt good and kept going until we hit the 3 mile marker...we did it in 31:14!!! I feel great!
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    Well, I'm starting to have second thoughts about this half marathon thing. For some reason, I am getting weaker- no;t stronger with my runs. What's the deal. Is the humidity hurting me that badly? Today, I ran on the treadmill- inside- and could barely get thru the 4 miles. My time was a shotty 38:50, and I felt twice the weight that I am-- very sluggish. My time is usually around 35 and I've done a couple of 34's. And my hip has been hurting at the top of my hip bone, like I've pulled away from the bone--ouch!! I just feel very defeated. The marathon is in Sept. I don't look forward to my long 7 mile run on sunday.

So sorry to hear about your injury, Sherry, hope the best for ya.

Good job fitat41!!!
  • harvick29
    harvick29 Posts: 14
    Options
    Wow, you guys are an inspiration. I'm new to this post and just started trying to run again. I have never ran over a mile without walking. Right now I'm jogging at a 5.0 for a minute and a half then walk at a 3.0 for one minute, I do this for 25 to 30 minutes, which is an improvement from 2 months ago, when the best I could do was a speed of 4.0. I would like to get to a 10 minute mile in the next couple of months, I want to try out for the Highway Patrol and I need to run a mile and a half in 16 minutes. Any tips on how to help me get past that feeling that I'm going to die, please let me know.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    is it safe to run two days in a row?

I don't know if it's "safe", but I run 5-6 days a week.

I run 4 days and weight train 2 day -- with one complete day off!
    Rainman -- what's your take on that :)

Sorry I am a couple of days behind but from what I have been reading, and I have been doing a lot of it, the ONLY reason everyday running is not recommended is injury prevention. There is a man, sorry I can't remember his name, but he has run every single day for the last 38 years or some crazy amount of time and he is fine and looks great for his age.

Listen to your body and take a day off if you need it:wink: I take every third day off but I still get a walk in so I don't know if that can really be considered a break. :laugh:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    ok, now for today...

5 miles on the TM this afternoon and a small walk planned for after dinner.

Sherry, hope you're ok, keep us updated. :flowerforyou:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Completed 3 miles for the first time in my life! We were on w8d3 of c25k and were going to run for 28 minutes (2.75 miles), but after 28 minutes we felt good and kept going until we hit the 3 mile marker...we did it in 31:14!!! I feel great!

That is awesome! Way to go!
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Well, I'm starting to have second thoughts about this half marathon thing. For some reason, I am getting weaker- no;t stronger with my runs. What's the deal. Is the humidity hurting me that badly? Today, I ran on the treadmill- inside- and could barely get thru the 4 miles. My time was a shotty 38:50, and I felt twice the weight that I am-- very sluggish. My time is usually around 35 and I've done a couple of 34's. And my hip has been hurting at the top of my hip bone, like I've pulled away from the bone--ouch!! I just feel very defeated. The marathon is in Sept. I don't look forward to my long 7 mile run on sunday.

Ouch! Sonia, it sounds like you may have hurt yourself. I hope not! Keep us posted.:flowerforyou:
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Wow, you guys are an inspiration. I'm new to this post and just started trying to run again. I have never ran over a mile without walking. Right now I'm jogging at a 5.0 for a minute and a half then walk at a 3.0 for one minute, I do this for 25 to 30 minutes, which is an improvement from 2 months ago, when the best I could do was a speed of 4.0. I would like to get to a 10 minute mile in the next couple of months, I want to try out for the Highway Patrol and I need to run a mile and a half in 16 minutes. Any tips on how to help me get past that feeling that I'm going to die, please let me know.

Welcome:flowerforyou: I'm a new runner too. I've been running for 2 years. Even now, no matter how far I'm running, I feel uncomfortable (not that I'm going to die though) for the first mile that I run. Imho, that "feeling that I'm going to die" comes from running too fast. For training runs, you should only be uncomfortable once a week if you run 3 days a week. The other runs should be at an easy pace for you. If you are consistent, speed will come without injury. So here is a sample training program that I'm using:

Pick one day to run at an easy pace.
    Pick one day to do tempo or speedwork workouts. These are uncomfortable.
    Pick one day to run "long"(any distance longer than your test distance(1.5miles) at an easy pace.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    is it safe to run two days in a row?

I don't know if it's "safe", but I run 5-6 days a week.

I run 4 days and weight train 2 day -- with one complete day off!
    Rainman -- what's your take on that :)

Sorry I am a couple of days behind but from what I have been reading, and I have been doing a lot of it, the ONLY reason everyday running is not recommended is injury prevention. There is a man, sorry I can't remember his name, but he has run every single day for the last 38 years or some crazy amount of time and he is fine and looks great for his age.

Listen to your body and take a day off if you need it:wink: I take every third day off but I still get a walk in so I don't know if that can really be considered a break. :laugh:

If this is the same story I saw, this guy only runs a mile or two most days and he runs it at a relaxed 11 minute mile pace.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I dont run everyday. I find it makes my legs very tired and tight if I run back to back days. I run every other day and do bootcamp the other days.

Ok, now for an update. I went to a dr. friend and the prognosis is not good. He seems to concur with my self diagnosis. He wrote me a prescription for xray. I will try to get it done tomorrow or first thing monday. He wants to see the xray report before he confirms the stress fracture. He said if the xray does not show the stress fracture, then he would like a bone scan. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:grumble:

He also said the spot that hurts on my leg is the "right" spot for the fracture. So right now no running for a while. I will have to take up swimming but I like the biking idea too. Thanks for that suggestion Jess. I guess spinning classes too.
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options

So sorry to hear about your injury, Sherry, hope the best for ya.

Good job fitat41!!!

With running comes some good days, and bad days. Humidity will really sap you too. It's also a good practice not over analyze training runs. Save that for race day. Savor that you did the run. About the hip, well, that's another dilemna. I highly recommend a physical therapist for any pains that seem un-natural. Running does stress the system and will create imbalances in tendons and flexibility that will cause some problems. I know of many cases when a simple stretch solves it, it did with my knee pain several years ago.
  • natalie523
    natalie523 Posts: 12
    Options
    I got six miles in this morning. It was really a tough run but I got it done:bigsmile:
    Natalie
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Options
    I did 10 miles today!:bigsmile: Each week, it seems like the long runs get easier! Trying to add a mile on to my long run every Saturday!
    146230.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Way to go Christine!

Today is a rest day for me. However, I did register for my half in November. Registering so early saved me $10-$20.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Way to go Kechie and Christine!!!

Hi everyone, I only did 2 miles this morning but I tried to pick up the pace, I was able to average about a 7:45 mile, it felt great :wink: I felt like I pushed myself but didn't go overboard.