MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I'm going to do 2 in a few minutes, my marathon is tomorrow!!! I'm really excited yet nervous, I hope my knee holds up though, I'm just going to ignore it and run! :happy: :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Morning RC!

Ran 11-miles this morning. Have my first 1/2 in a couple weeks and not sure how I can get a couple more miles out of these legs. :embarassed: :embarassed:

Good job to everyone that ran and have a great weekend, runners! :smile:
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Oh,Sherry, I'm so sad to hear that things aren't looking good for you! :frown:
    Please do take care of yourself and follow doctor's orders. Keep us posted.

Did 5 with friends this morning in 52 minutes, added a sprint at the end, but panicked when I realized I'd overestimated my location and had twice as far to sprint as I thought! :sad:
    Almost had my first run and hurl! :tongue: LOL!
    Quick water break then back out for another 1.35 in 12 minutes. I'm going to get down to solid ten minute milers one of these days!

Committed to the 5k from hell on the 13th. Aiming for 35 minutes...5 minutes slower than my normal 5k race, but honest to God, I'll be happy just to finish!

Also going to bite the bullet and register for my half in December. Once I spend $50, I 'll have to do it!!!

Came home and did 3 hours of yardwork...darn magnolia trees! Very pretty, but very messy!

Ready for lunch and a nap! :happy:

Happy running everyone!

Ooh! Don't care if it's somewhat sweat related....I hit my 1st 10 pounds today!!!! :happy:
    Becky
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    Thanks, Rainman!! I always like hearing what you have to say. Maybe it will get better!!

I hate to hear that Sherry. Will hope the best for you!

Rest day for me-- Long run tomorrow= 7 miles ( the longest for me) . I guess I should do it on the road outside to toughen me up for the humidity.

Question: When you guys do your long runs, do you stop at all for water, or to walk, or to stretch or for any reason and if you do ,why, and do you stop your watch? When I ran with some girls last week (6.2miles)(marathoners), they stopped twice for water. I am not used to doing that at all. Just wondering what everyone does. Am I pushing myself too hard by not stopping? Need opinions, please! Thanks!
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Rainman!! I always like hearing what you have to say. Maybe it will get better!!

I hate to hear that Sherry. Will hope the best for you!

Rest day for me-- Long run tomorrow= 7 miles ( the longest for me) . I guess I should do it on the road outside to toughen me up for the humidity.

Question: When you guys do your long runs, do you stop at all for water, or to walk, or to stretch or for any reason and if you do ,why, and do you stop your watch? When I ran with some girls last week (6.2miles)(marathoners), they stopped twice for water. I am not used to doing that at all. Just wondering what everyone does. Am I pushing myself too hard by not stopping? Need opinions, please! Thanks!

You don't need to stop unless you feel like to need to. I carry a water bottle with me, they sell them at running stores with handles on them. I don't stop to stretch so basically I don't stop at all but it depends on the person. Good luck on your 7!

• RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Some tips on Hyrdation:

20-30 minute run
    It may not be necessary to carry sports drink, make sure you are hydrated before you run. This is accomplished by drinking well several hours before the run, and again right before you take off.

40-90 minute run
    Try to carry a small bottle of sports drink, especially when it’s warm. You can find the small 8-oz bottles in the store, and keep them to refill. Most folks find them easy to carry.

90 minute+ run
    You need the “drop” program. Take sports drink and gels and locate them along your route. Make sure to pick it up or toss it when finished. I often carry a credit card and hit some convenience stores too.

Those ½ marathon and marathon newbies…
    Get used to gels, they will be your best friend. I prefer Gu’s but it really does not matter the brand. After roughly 8 miles take a gel and try to use another each additional 45 minutes. Half marathon you may only need one, or two at most. The marathon may require 3 or 4 gels. Heck, I have taken as many as 12 during some events, good stuff! Don’t wait too long, get em in your system before you bonk.

Sports Drink -vs- Water
    On training runs I prefer sports drink because the body only carries about 45 minutes of energy in blood sugars and it needs replaced. It helps you finish the run strong, and heck, who does not want that!

Stopwatch is an individual preference. Math nuts need the numbers/data/splits and the "free spirits" just run and know when they are spent. Personally on long runs (16+) I focus on "time moving forward" rather than distance/splits/data. The less I think about running the better, but know tons of folks who are naked without splits.
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Ooops forgot something.

I stop every 2-3 miles for a drink and it usually is a 10 second gig. No need to tweek a stopwatch.

LR, it's ok to walk a little when you drink. Try not to stop, but walk and drink.

Stopping to stretch is only a MUST do situation if you have a hamstring or something needing attention. Lactic acid starts to build in minutes and will lock you up.

Keep moving forward.
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I did my long run bright and early this morning - a little over 13 miles with some killer hills thrown in there.

Sherry-I am so bummed for you. Please keep us updated and take care of yourself!!!!

As far as stopping on my long runs...I really try not to. I carry my water with me, but inevitably I do have to stop for a potty break. :blushing:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'm going to do 2 in a few minutes, my marathon is tomorrow!!! I'm really excited yet nervous, I hope my knee holds up though, I'm just going to ignore it and run! :happy: :happy:

Good luck, girl!!!!!! Can't wait to read your report! :drinker:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    6 mile early run for me. Then up & down the field for my dd's last soccer game (I coach). Fun fun!

Have a good one! :bigsmile:
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    Ran my 20K today. I am embarrassed to even post my time after seeing others' times. A potty break killed me: 10 minute wait at the porta-potty! So my official time was 2:22:05 :grumble: I would like my official time to have been 2:12 which would have been a PR. But, I NEEDED the potty. Did too good of a job hydrating yesterday. :blushing:

Regardless, it was a beautiful day for a run and record breaking crowds. And I FINISHED!
  • 515TeachNRun
    Options
    My youngest has been asking to run a 5K and after going to packet pick-up with me, she REALLY wants to try. Advice on training with a 9 year old. She has run the mile for school and had a 3:31 on the 800 for presidential testing. I'm just not even sure where to start.
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Options
    Ran my 20K today. I am embarrassed to even post my time after seeing others' times. A potty break killed me: 10 minute wait at the porta-potty! So my official time was 2:22:05 :grumble: I would like my official time to have been 2:12 which would have been a PR. But, I NEEDED the potty. Did too good of a job hydrating yesterday. :blushing:

Regardless, it was a beautiful day for a run and record breaking crowds. And I FINISHED!
    That is Awesome! My first is in October! You should be very proud!146230.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • 515TeachNRun
    Options
    Thanks Christine! I've been beating myself up all day, rather than celebrating the success of actually running a 20K.
    Best of luck to you in October!
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Options
    :yawn: Rest Day! I'm so glad too! I really need it. My body is wore out!:tongue:
    Hope everyone else has a beautiful Sunday! God Bless!!!:flowerforyou:

146230.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    Well, I did it!! 7 miles done! Time = 69:43 Low humidity this morning. Everything felt great except for a knee pain that started at the end of mile 6. I'm worried about that now, but I am so proud of myself!
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Leash - how did your marathon go? :drinker:

Kaylynne - don't beat yourself up about the potty break. As frustrating as the time loss may be, running a 20 K is still an accomplishment and you should still be proud of it. Chalk it up to experience and have a better race next time.

Got 7.25 miles in this morning and the kids are still asleep, so I can actually take time to have a good stretch:happy: What a bonus!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

7 miles for me this morning.

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Well, I did it!! 7 miles done! Time = 69:43 Low humidity this morning. Everything felt great except for a knee pain that started at the end of mile 6. I'm worried about that now, but I am so proud of myself!

Way to go Sonia!!:drinker:
  • kechiemc
    Options

Congratulations on your 20K. I am so proud of you. You did it!