MFP Runner's Club

Replies

• Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Sounds like Kechie got herself in trouble :laugh:

5 for me today, I am almost at 300 miles so far this year :love: :love: yay me! :laugh:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Nich0le :drinker: :drinker: Good job!!!

Ketchie - was he (the woohoo guy) innocent or guilty????

Satellite - good luck on your 5k, I'm sure you'll do great!

gustergirl - you rock!! Congrats on your run!!

runnerdad, you are so lucky. I would love to have a place to run like that around here.

Welcome to all our new people! I look forward to meeting you!

I ran a little over 3 miles today. I've noticed that if I give myself an 8 minute warm up rather than a 5 min one, I do a lot better on my runs. Today was the first time I have ever ran, walked, or jogged with music. WOW, what a difference that made!!!! I actually burned 655 calories on my run.

Today I marveled in the fact that it is getting easier each time. My form has improved and I'm running a lot smoother. I get less winded and can go a little further each time. I think I'm up to a fast jiggly jog now! I can actually picture myself completing a 5k....maybe even call myself a runner someday :smile:
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,458 Member

Today I marveled in the fact that it is getting easier each time. My form has improved and I'm running a lot smoother. I get less winded and can go a little further each time. I think I'm up to a fast jiggly jog now! I can actually picture myself completing a 5k....maybe even call myself a runner someday :smile:

Good for you, Anna! :flowerforyou: :smokin:
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    The treadmill can be your friend.....really.

I have learned to really enjoy treadmill running but I had to master the mental challenge, and let's face it, that's all it is. Outside we are distracted with sights, sounds, curbs, and dogs. The biggest challenge on the TM is your mind. If you conquer that, you have an ultra convenient workout program... unlimited drinks and restrooms!

OK, enough... the secret is?

You likely made a $1,500+ investment on the machine, right? Here is how you maximize the investment:
    1) Add a decent size TV and DVD player right smack in front of you.
    2) Add cordless headpones, or get a long extenstion cord for headphones and suspend your wired headphones right behind you on the treadmill (that's what I do)
    3) Get a BIG fan, something industrial grade and as wide as your treadmill and face it right smack on you. Spend at least $40 on the fan.
    4) Rent a movie for multiple days, and ensure it is action, suspense, or something that will completely engulf your mind.
    5) Run to half of it one day which for me is usually good for 5 to 7 miles. You usually cut if off just as the suspense peaks..... well, guess what? You are dying to finish the movie the following day, so it's easy to lace up again for round 2 to finish the show.

This WORKS! From an Iowa boy with some very, very cold winter days this makes winter running easy. In fact, I don't even consider watching ANY suspense/action movie unless it's a treadmill run. It's a waste of the movie....really! The trick is eliminating commercials, or any momentary glitch that lets your mind think about breathing, pace, distance. I have done many, many 18+ runs like this and actually really enjoyed it ( you need that rare 3-hour flick like Gladiator). Most folks already have a TV with the treadmill, now pick a favorite movie, and a big breeze, and try it.
  • RunRideRay
    Since I see lot's of running newbie's here, just some advice I have learned over the years.

1) Early on you will have good and bad spells, just accept it and don't be discouraged. Enjoy the days when everything "clicks", but hang in there the days it's "off". It's natural, even after you are a seasoned runner.

2) Keep gatorade or sports drink handy during runs. Find a small bottle, maybe only 8oz and carry sport drink during the run.

3) Many others comment on shoes, and WOW, you gotta have good, soft shoes that work for you. I recommend using the sizing guides from Road Runner sports.

4) Nutrition is a killer, especially as miles increase. Yes, of course it's about energy, but, the lesser spoken truth is keeping the gizzards clean of garbage that causes you to feel cramped, or worse, scrambling for a restroom mid run.

5) Yes Stretch, mostly a few hours after the run. I find it best to ensure I never start too fast into a run.

6) As a new runner getting your cardio working HURTS. That is the truth, it sucks. But you only go through this phase once, and then you have it. Really! If you are steady this can be won in about 6-8 weeks. Keep a steady pace, and walk when you have to. I started with a walk and jog program that led to more jogging, and less walking. Eventually it breaks into all jogging. Don't be ashamed to walk, it's OK!

That's all for now, and will admit I enjoy watching people grow and mature in running. It is such a wonderful recreation. Hopefully some of you find the post helpful.
  • RunRideRay
    One last post..... Some advice about HUNGER and WEIGHT gain during running.

When training for Ironman's I would wake up in the middle of the night and eat 2 bowls of cereal and likely an entire bag of chips, with ZERO will power to stop because the machine needed food. I would often start having weight creep on when I was doing 10-12 hours a week of cardio.

I feel all of your pain.....

Some helpful tips.

1) Skip meals, and eat smaller portions all day

2) Target 50-75% protein as a percentage of diet. It has less cals and helps you feel full

3) Strategically time the protein shakes, do them as snacks or before meals

4) Load up with Carrots, Apples, Radishes, and similar fruits/veggies with a net zero calorie impact

5) Skip the cheese, mayo, sauces, and sweets. I know, that's why we run but they really do add tons of senseless calories.

6) NEVER binge, be very careful about this. Stay steady for 7-10 days, and then enjoy a good meal or two and get back on the program for another 7-10. If you go 3 good and 1 bad it will never yield a good result because it takes roughly 2-days to stabilize blood sugars and the body changes metabolic rates accordingly.

This will keep you feeling full and help you slowly lower weight with an ever increasing metabolism. STAY strong because this is a big mental challenge. The book "YOU on a diet" is a good outline of metabolism and diet, that is iff you can handle the constant 1-line jokes. It's usually about $15 on Amazon.
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,458 Member
    Rainman: WIll you be running Dam to Dam this weekend? I see you are in IA.
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Great advice all around, Rainman! Thanks.

I ran 6 miles late last night at the gym and did about an hour of strength training. I'm not a big fan of getting home at 11:30 PM from the gym (my gym is open 24 hours), but you do what you got to do, I guess. I don't think I posted yesterday, either...but I ran 5 at the gym the other night. Today I'm excited to be able to take it outside. I'd like to get in 7 or 8. I'll let you know!

Hope everyone has a great run today!
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member

WELCOME!!!
    Looking forward to picking your brain....doing my first 1/2 marathon in September!

I plan on doing rock and roll VA Beach on Sept. 6. Is that the one you're doing? Good Luck to ya!

YES!!! That's the one I'm doing -- I'm so excited and nervous!!!
  • annaliza
    Good morning everyone!! No running for me today ...it's a strength training day. But I sure would like to go out there and run anyway lol... is it safe to run two days in a row? I've only been running 3 days a week (trying to follow the couch to 5k program).

Rainman, thanks so much for the advice. I am a newbie runner so any kind of advice I can get, I appreciate!

I don't treadmill run - I have one that sits out in the garage that is a piece of cr*p so I don't even bother with it (I don't even know it works anymore). I can't give up the outside running...man, I absolutely love it! We do have a nice gym here at the college where I work....they have great treadmills there so perhaps I will try it out when the weather gets to cold to go outside.

How do I keep a bottle of water with me when I run? Do you strap it to yourself somewhere or carry with you while you are running? Does it bother you to carry the extra load? Do you have to keep switching off each hand? I'm already getting loaded down with gadgets lol - between my HRM and my ipod lol Also, what about bathroom breaks? Won't the water add to that?

Lol, I agree with the hurting! I've been hurting for weeks but it's slowly going away as I've been working through it and my muscles are getting stronger.
  • jabdye
    rainman -- thanks for all the wonderful advice. Can't wait to read more. As for the treadmill -- I don't use a TV but do have a fan and great music....and I'm a math brain so I spend the majority of my time calculating!!! It's my way of keeping distracted. Maybe I'll look into the TV thing.

Trying hard to keep the calories in check. Any advice about what to eat/drink after a long run. currently I am having a protein shake -- about 110 calories and 21g protein no carbs.

Thanks!
    Julie
  • hessied

How do I keep a bottle of water with me when I run? Do you strap it to yourself somewhere or carry with you while you are running? Does it bother you to carry the extra load? Do you have to keep switching off each hand? I'm already getting loaded down with gadgets lol - between my HRM and my ipod lol Also, what about bathroom breaks? Won't the water add to that?

Annaliza -

This is what I use as far as a waterbottle for my long runs - http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/RRU1003/ This is not exactly what I have, but it is very similar. It is nice because you wear it like a belt, and it had a little pocket to stash your key. I don't find it a hindrance while running, but I only wear it on my long runs once a week. I find that I can get by on shorter runs with just hydrating before and immediately after. Hope that helps!
  • annaliza
    hessied, cool! Thanks so much for the information! I'll try it out. Right now I'm not running too far from home lol, but I'm hoping to go far soon enough :smile:

Speaking of gadgets....anyone have the Nike+? Is it worth the money?
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    is it safe to run two days in a row?

I don't know if it's "safe", but I run 5-6 days a week.
  • jabdye

I run 4 days and weight train 2 day -- with one complete day off!
    Rainman -- what's your take on that :)
  • hessied

currently I am having a protein shake -- about 110 calories and 21g protein no carbs.

Julie - Sorry if you already mentioned it, but what protein shake are you drinking? I've never done shakes before, and I'm considering trying some out.

Thanks!
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    I have been wanting to start running for awhile. I have been trying to walk at least every other day. I found an article with training tips (in my FITNESS magazine) for newbies that I am going to try to follow starting tonight. Wish me luck!! You are all an inspiration to me!!:happy:
  • hessied
    I have been wanting to start running for awhile. I have been trying to walk at least every other day. I found an article with training tips (in my FITNESS magazine) for newbies that I am going to try to follow starting tonight. Wish me luck!! You are all an inspiration to me!!:happy:

Go for it, Michelle. Once you start, it'll be hard to stop! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • jabdye

currently I am having a protein shake -- about 110 calories and 21g protein no carbs.

Julie - Sorry if you already mentioned it, but what protein shake are you drinking? I've never done shakes before, and I'm considering trying some out.

Thanks!

I drink Nature's Best Isopure Zero Carb Protein. It has 110 calories per scoop -- .5g fat and 25g protein (had to go look it up to be sure). I drink the banana cream flavor and have started mixing in a banana for some good carbs. I used to drink Muscle Milk Light -- but traded to this cause it's more protein and less calories. Gave up a little taste in the switch but the banana helps.
  • RunRideRay

I run 4 days and weight train 2 day -- with one complete day off!
    Rainman -- what's your take on that :)

Sure it is safe to run 2 days in a row, I used to only take 1 day off a week. No big deal. Try to organize 1 or 2 main runs for each week, the others are what I call "base miles". These main runs should stretch you in strength, speed, or distance. Maybe pick a hill workout, and a distance workout. I sometimes add some interval runs (intermix slow and fast for active recovery). Try to organize rest days after the major run, example, a long run needs to be followed by a rest day.

Strength training and running is a killer combo. Upper body does not matter, do it whenever. If it is leg workout try to do it after a good run. You won't be able to walk, but it will make you much, much stronger. IF you do this, you can't run the next day, and run light the following. So, it really is a 3-day commmitment on the plan. Time this workout appropriately. You only do leg lifting 1 time per week, it's all you need. The quads/hams/gluts take 2-days to repair so it is often a good time to throw in some swimming, cycling, maybe elliptical and stretch big time. I have started some Yoga and it is wonderful!

Hope it helps!
This discussion has been closed.