MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

Today is a rest day for me. No running but I did have to go to traffic court this morning.

I hope you will never have to go to court. But if you ever have to go, I am warning you it is a hilarious place. You get to hear some of the strangest things that people (adults) do. The guy who was called before me was cited for walking around with his woohoo hanging out of his pants.:laugh:

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I already posted by I ran 3.2 miles yesterday! I am estatic about this and still in awe that I did this. It is taking me right now 36 minutes to run that. Between stretching before and after and a 5 minute warmup plus driving there it takes up a least an hour. Those of you that are running higher distances. Where do you do it? How do you squeeze in enough time to do that distance? Thanks!
    Good job on the 3.2 miles:drinker:

I am fortunate in that I live close to public bike / walking trail, so I can run from the house or drive a few minutes to the gym to meet my running group. Mileage on the trail is marked, there are water coolers every few miles, no motor vehicle traffic and only a couple of intersections ,and it is 7+ miles long, so I can get almost 15 miles if I run end to end (and back). So you run through the woods (OK, it's more of a green belt) on a paved trail. Love it! Also live five minutes from the local high school track. Finding the time is more of a challange. I only run three days a week, so typically, I am up at 5 AM Tuesdays and Thursdays to meet my group at the track or on the trail and try to crank out 5.5-6.5 miles in an hour before I go to work. My long run is on the weekend, so I get up early to get it done before the kids get up.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    I already posted by I ran 3.2 miles yesterday! I am estatic about this and still in awe that I did this. It is taking me right now 36 minutes to run that. Between stretching before and after and a 5 minute warmup plus driving there it takes up a least an hour. Those of you that are running higher distances. Where do you do it? How do you squeeze in enough time to do that distance? Thanks!

Way to go! Super time too!

I am fortunate to live in a very large subdivision so I usually run in my neighborhood. Occasionally, I get bored and drive about 10-15 minutes to run with a friend in a nearby city.

I do my long runs on Sundays so I don't have to worry about squeezing in enough time. Running is usually the only thing I have to do that day.

When I used to work outside my home, I'd get up at 5 am and run with a neighbor just so I could get my run in before work. I was always amazed at the number of other people out running around in the dark before work.
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options

Great job on your run!
    I usually run on a treadmill at the crack of dawn. I try to get up before the kids and get my run done -- makes for a great day. here lately I have been driving to a local park that has a 5.3 mile loop through the woods. I have a friend that runs with me and we do the loop twice. I do that long run on the weekend so time isn't an issue. the hard part for me is running on a treadmill during the week now that I've had a taste of running outdoors!

Being a working mom of 2 I have to do my running early or else it interferes with dinner and homework (and the list goes on!) That time in the morning is MY time -- and it keeps me happy :)
  • threeupthreedown
    Options
    Hi Everyone:

My name is Jan.
    I live in Peterborough, Ontario Canada.
    I did my very first 5 kms run last year on May 3 when I was 56 years old.
    My time was 37.49.
    Then, a few weeks later on June 7 my beloved father passed away from a heart attack.
    Then, a few weeks later my darling sister-in-law was told she had Pancreatic Cancer.
    She passed away on August 23 at only 56 years of age.
    This April my best friend of 45 years was informed she has a brain tumour.
    I have just started running again since March 1.
    I have been running my short route of 3.3 kms every other day or so.
    Yesterday, I ran 5.06 kms in 46 minutes.
    Good for ME!!!!
    I LOVE the feeling you get when you have finished your run.
    I am looking forward to getting to know all of you.
  • jabdye
    Options
    Hi Everyone:

My name is Jan.
    I live in Peterborough, Ontario Canada.
    I did my very first 5 kms run last year on May 3 when I was 56 years old.
    My time was 37.49.
    Then, a few weeks later on June 7 my beloved father passed away from a heart attack.
    Then, a few weeks later my darling sister-in-law was told she had Pancreatic Cancer.
    She passed away on August 23 at only 56 years of age.
    This April my best friend of 45 years was informed she has a brain tumour.
    I have just started running again since March 1.
    I have been running my short route of 3.3 kms every other day or so.
    Yesterday, I ran 5.06 kms in 46 minutes.
    Good for ME!!!!
    I LOVE the feeling you get when you have finished your run.
    I am looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Welcome Jan! I'm also new to this thread and have enjoyed the advice I have received.
    Sounds like you have had quite a bit of unfortunate events in your world. One thing that running has always done for me is it helps to give my mind the clarity to face whatever life throws my way -- and at the end of a run there's always that peaceful feeling knowing you have accomplished yet another day -- not to mention the endorphin high :happy:
    Take care! Looking forward to chatting with you!
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I am a MFP newbie trying to get back into shape, or at least something different than a square. I have the obesity gene in me with a natural propensity to be about 275 lbs. I am, however, blessed to have great health and an iron will to keep it defeated. The last 5-years I have been gaining weight until running really sucked. So, here I am! Trying to reclaim both my waist and joy for running.

Goals - loose 35 lbs, and down 14 already (wooohoo) since mid April
    Current weight = 226 lbs
    Goal weight = 205 lbs (I am 6'4 so that's a fine weight for me)
    Age 36 male

Some general notes, and maybe ways I can help on this board:
    > 12 years ago running helped me go from 245 lbs to 200 lbs ( I run the talk)
    > I have nurtured many runners from the couch to 10k+
    > I have also helped many runners train, and complete their first marathons
    > Personnaly, I have been through 13 marathons and lot's of other distance stuff
    > My goal is to finish a 50 miler within the next year

Basically, I have experienced just about all the highs and lows running has to offer and willing to share it with anyone that has a question.
  • KristinLynn25
    Options
    Hey everyone.... good job on all your runs today!! I did 3.2 miles today... in the misty rain which felt kinda nice actually! Finished in 39 minutes, which for me was good b/c I had 2 huge hills in my route today! I am also training for my first 1/2 marathon in August which I am very excited about!!!! I really like this posting... very motivating! Have a great day!!
  • jabdye
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I am a MFP newbie trying to get back into shape, or at least something different than a square. I have the obesity gene in me with a natural propensity to be about 275 lbs. I am, however, blessed to have great health and an iron will to keep it defeated. The last 5-years I have been gaining weight until running really sucked. So, here I am! Trying to reclaim both my waist and joy for running.

Basically, I have experienced just about all the highs and lows running has to offer and willing to share it with anyone that has a question.

WELCOME!!!
    Looking forward to picking your brain....doing my first 1/2 marathon in September!
  • NaiLo
    NaiLo Posts: 39
    Options
    hi everyone!! I have just started running, I usually go in the morning about five times a week :) I love to run, but I have been having problems with my shins :( I am going to start a beginners jogging program that will hopefully help my legs to become stronger. I will probably have tons of questions for you all! I hope that I can find some great support and encouragement, and maybe some good advice too!
    Hope you are all having a great day!!
  • natalie523
    natalie523 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hello , I hope everyone is having a great day:) I ran six this morning, wanted to do more but didn't have the time! Happy running:)
    Natalie
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!!!

4.8 mile "indian run" (or last man up run--whatever you wanna call it) for me this morning
  • Lesli
    Lesli Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Today I ran a 5K and it was much harder than the 4 miles I ran day before yesterday. Go figure!
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    hi everyone!! I have just started running, I usually go in the morning about five times a week :) I love to run, but I have been having problems with my shins :( I am going to start a beginners jogging program that will hopefully help my legs to become stronger. I will probably have tons of questions for you all! I hope that I can find some great support and encouragement, and maybe some good advice too!
    Hope you are all having a great day!!
    Any time you are getting sore from running, check out your shoes. If you are near a running store, have them check out your foot type and gait to make sure you have shoes that are right for you.
    The other thing is to remember to stretch well after running. Most everybody stretches their quads and hamstrings, but don't forget to stretch your shins. Goes a long way to help with shin splints.
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    Hello everyone!

WELCOME!!!
    Looking forward to picking your brain....doing my first 1/2 marathon in September!

I plan on doing rock and roll VA Beach on Sept. 6. Is that the one you're doing? Good Luck to ya!
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Options

Great job on your run!
    I usually run on a treadmill at the crack of dawn. I try to get up before the kids and get my run done -- makes for a great day. here lately I have been driving to a local park that has a 5.3 mile loop through the woods. I have a friend that runs with me and we do the loop twice. I do that long run on the weekend so time isn't an issue. the hard part for me is running on a treadmill during the week now that I've had a taste of running outdoors!

Being a working mom of 2 I have to do my running early or else it interferes with dinner and homework (and the list goes on!) That time in the morning is MY time -- and it keeps me happy :)

I know what u mean about running on the treadmill after u get a taste of running outside! Short runs like 3-4 miles don't bother me, but a long run on the treadmill is looooong!146230.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Options
    Today I ran a 5K and it was much harder than the 4 miles I ran day before yesterday. Go figure!

Somedays are so much harder than others! Sometimes I feel like I could keep running forever and other times, It kills me to run 3 or 4 miles! lol
    146230.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options

Great job on your run!

I know what u mean about running on the treadmill after u get a taste of running outside! Short runs like 3-4 miles don't bother me, but a long run on the treadmill is looooong!

yeah, I cant run more than about 3 miles on the TM...I hate it!! lucky for me, the weather is nice here year round, so I dont have to run inside often.
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,386 Member
    Options
    Just finished six. I was scheduled for five, I'm tapering down before Saturday, but I am stressed out and grumpy today. Needed that extra mile, for sure!!! Oh, and I did it on the TM. Cool and rainy here today. I catch up on my soap (:embarassed: ) when I run on the TM. Would hate to waste my time of the trashy tv otherwise. :laugh:
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Ran 3.1 today in just under 33 minutes...Whoo hoo! I'm running my first 5K next month and want to finish it in under 35 minutes, which is pretty much what I had been averaging. Decided to start playing around with the speedwork today, so I timed it along with my iPod. I ran my normal pace for two songs, then went hard (aka uncomfortable and breathing like a cow) for one. It was definitely challenging, but I felt great seeing that time when I got done!