MFP Runner's Club

Replies

• beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Somewhere between 6.25 - 6.5 miles today. Made a detour to add hills so not 100% on the distance.
    Trying for 8 tomorrow.
    Happy running!
    Becky
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    No running for me today. I ran 3.5 miles yesterday after a 5 week rest due to an injury.

I have a question for you more experienced runners. I have been battling shin splints for quite some time and my shins were very aggrevated when I sprained my ankle. After not running for 5 weeks they felt good. After I ran yesterday, the pain came back with a vengance. I have new shoes so I don't think it is my sneakers. Do you think this is something more serious? I thought about going to see a sports medicine doctor but wasn't sure if that is the right course of action. Let me tell you my shin hurts so much that is painful to the touch.
  • beckyi88
    Forgot to post...I passed 75 miles today since April 20th!!!
    Treated myself to a pedicure....was going to wait until 100, but....what the heck!
    It was wonderful! :happy:
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    No running for me today. I ran 3.5 miles yesterday after a 5 week rest due to an injury.

I have a question for you more experienced runners. I have been battling shin splints for quite some time and my shins were very aggrevated when I sprained my ankle. After not running for 5 weeks they felt good. After I ran yesterday, the pain came back with a vengance. I have new shoes so I don't think it is my sneakers. Do you think this is something more serious? I thought about going to see a sports medicine doctor but wasn't sure if that is the right course of action. Let me tell you my shin hurts so much that is painful to the touch.

I found this on the web in regards to shin splints...

This multifaceted approach includes:

Workouts such as stationary bicycling or pool running: These will allow maintenance of cardiovascular fitness.
    Icing reduces inflammation.
    Anti-inflammatory medications, such as ibuprofen (Advil/Motrin); naproxen (Aleve/Naprosyn), are also a central part of rehabilitation.
    A 4-inch wide Ace bandage wrapped around the region also helps reduce discomfort.
    Calf and anterior (front of) leg stretching and strengthening addresses the biomechanical problems discussed above and reduce pain.
    Pay careful attention to selecting the correct running shoe based upon the foot type (flexible pronator vs. rigid supinator). This is extremely important. In selected cases, shoe inserts (orthotics) may be necessary.
    Stretching and strengthening exercises are done twice a day.
    Run only when symptoms have generally resolved (often about two weeks) and with several restrictions:
    A level and soft terrain is best.
    Distance is limited to 50% of that tolerated preinjury.
    Intensity (pace) is similarly cut by one half.
    Over a three-six week period, a gradual increase in distance is allowed.
    Only then can a gradual increase in pace be attempted.
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Forgot to post...I passed 75 miles today since April 20th!!!
    Treated myself to a pedicure....was going to wait until 100, but....what the heck!
    It was wonderful! :happy:

congratulations on 75 miles -- that's great!!!
    And a pedicure -- What a great idea -- especially for a runner!!! I think I will add that to my list of rewards :)
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Today is a rest day--my apartment has exploded from all the neglect this week. I have been so focused on running--need to do some cleaning up! I did get a new sports bra and got another pair of my shoes!! Yay! Have a good weekend.

Which bra did you get? I am always looking. Let us know how you like it.
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/54121-for-new-runners-joggers

if this helps anyone :-D I'm starting it today
  • kechiemc

Sorry to hear that you are still battling with shin splints. A long time ago when I tried running I had a very hard time with shin splints and ended up quitting running because of them. I hope you can find a solution so you can stick with it.:heart:

A lot of the information on line recommends starting with your shoes. Even though they are new, they may not be the right shoe for you. I would go back to the place where I was fitted and see what they have to say. If they aren't very helpful, try taking your new shoes to a new place and getting their opinion. Once you've been wearing the shoe, they can tell a lot better if the shoe is right for you.

I got fitted for my first pair of shoes and they did not work for me. I have plantaar fasciitis if I run in the wrong shoes or up my mileage too quickly. My second pair worked. So I went back to the same place for pair number 3. Guess what? They put me in the wrong shoe again.

I have also seen some articles that blame shin splints on non-running muscles(can't recall which ones). I do recall a mention of weak hips being a problem.

Keep us posted.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    You are right about the hips thing Kechie.

Sometimes what someone may think is "shin splints" is actually caused from tightness in the hips. Funny how it's related. But I have horribly tight hips and if I do not stretch long enough or warm up long enough, or even sometimes when I do, I will have aches in my shins, knees, hips, quads, etc.

Needless to say, stretching my hips is my main focus warming up and cooling down.

ps - decided not to run this evening! I ended up having to run some errands and decided I may need to rest before the race bright and early in the morning :smile:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    hi everyone! I ran four miles this morning and then went to the spa for a pedicure :wink:
    the only problem with that was i am going to run in the morning and i look and feel like a cooked lobster. i fell asleep laying out :cry:
    my run is going to be painful isn't it?
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Good afternoon everyone!

Ran about 3 miles yesterday....the furthest I've ever gone!!

No running for me today...it's strength training day...core (oh yay). :smile:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Hi Runners! Currently out of tpown at my inlaws but I packed my running shoes. :). Ran 6 hilly miles this morning and then walked 1 mile with my father in law. Gorgeous day and we went boating!!

Also did Ab ripper X with my dh and some pullups at the park.

Have a nice rest of your weekend!
  • kechiemc
    Good job Ladies!

I ran 6.5 this morning. It was smokin hot out this am.:smokin:

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    I ran my first ever 5k race yesterday! I came in 1st in my age group at 23:04!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    no running today, had a long run yesterday--going swimming this afternoon
  • lisarae
    lisarae Posts: 113
    Hi all. Welcome new posters. Schools out this coming week so I can run during the week instead of on the weekends like I've been doing. I did my usual 5.5 miles this morning. Need to mix it up and I'm planning on upping the mileage when school gets out.
    Thanks for the chocolate milk info. I think I'll get some soy choc to try after workouts!

To newer runners. I never thought I could run. I'm up to 7 miles at a time. Almost anyone can run!
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    The sports bra that I got was a Champion one. It was on sale. I realized when I put it on at home that its made for "medium" activity so hope it will be ok.

I am running the 5K Race Course today and trying to go further than I did Thursday. The race is in 17 days. Right now I can only run half of it so I am trying to increase my distance. I just want to get where I am running back to the starting point. I think when I run in the race the other people will pump me up and I will go longer but I just want to get past that mental block.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    No run for me today. Did P90X legs and abs. Running will be hard tomorrow!!:laugh:
  • beckyi88
    Yesterday was 8! Egads! That's a whole new experience!

A suggestion/thought? I don't know if you would want to do it under this thread or start another, but I thought it would be fun to do a *get to know you* thread...basics, name, age (if desired) ,number of weeks, years,etc as a runner,running goals, maybe state you live in, if married or kids...just a brief bio?
    Just a thought!

Becky
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Just started a new page

Its called "MFP runners club bio"
This discussion has been closed.