MFP Runner's Club

Replies

• jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Hi Everyone -- and Happy Monday to you all!

First off -- congrats to all the accomplishments. The tri -- the extra time -- the first 5k -- all of it is fantastic!!! Sonia -- I have to agree about finding a doctor that suits you. Of course stopping would solve the problem -- but that's not an option. There are docs that will work with you and get you back on track -- don't give up!!!

Had a great time camping -- got up at the crack of dawn and ran....A LOT!!! Not sure exactly how much -- guessing at least 7 or 8 miles -- up and down the mountain. Boy was I sore -- but felt great to run outdoors without the humidity. I actually could chat the whole time!

Did 5.5 this morning -- legs are still wobbly from the mountains!
  • Lesli
    Lesli Posts: 46 Member
    Good morning everyone! Off to run 4.5 miles...happy running!

Soooo, my ipod started going all wacky....not good. I ran with my husband's iphone, which has 1000 more songs than my ipod does, which means I was flipping through them as I jogged. Needless to say I didn't get in the 4.5 miles I was planning to do. I ran two miles and then on the third mile I sprinted to one telephone wire post, walked to the next, etc.

I have learned that I am addicted to my music for running and am not sure this is such a good thing!

~Lesli
  • jabdye
    Kechie -- need your help! I logged on to Runner's World to the smart coach and am confused! :huh:
    I entered my current time for a 10k -- and that I want to train hard for a 1/2 marathon. It's telling me to run at a 10:44 pace (which is more than a minute slower than I currently run my long run) -- yet has me running the 1/2 marathon at an 8:49 pace which is faster than I run. Most of the runs are at the 10:44 pace with one day of speedwork. If this is true -- then I'm excited -- just find it hard to believe I could run that slow and still complete the 1/2 at a 8:49 pace -- any words of wisdom???

Lesli -- I too became dependent on music. I have been trying to wean myself because I couldn't stand to hear myself breath :noway: So now I do my long run without music just to get used to it.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Just a 2 mile recovery run for me today so far. :wink: My 8yo wanted to run a mile (my kids are all running the 1 mile race this weekend, I am doing the 5K and so is my dh). So she made it a mile with me, then I added on another mile in the rain. Felt great! :bigsmile:

Also, my name was listed in the local paper for my tri results!! I was so excited! Send me a PM and I will send you the link, I won't post it on a public board!

Jess
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Did a spinning class this morning trying to stay off the hip. It was ok, but I feel like I really didn't burn as many calories. The instructor says we burn a lot, but, it just doesn't seem like it!

I am also addicted to music when I run, and it has to be fast. I kind of keep the pace of the music... :tongue:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Kechie -- need your help! I logged on to Runner's World to the smart coach and am confused! :huh:
    I entered my current time for a 10k -- and that I want to train hard for a 1/2 marathon. It's telling me to run at a 10:44 pace (which is more than a minute slower than I currently run my long run) -- yet has me running the 1/2 marathon at an 8:49 pace which is faster than I run. Most of the runs are at the 10:44 pace with one day of speedwork. If this is true -- then I'm excited -- just find it hard to believe I could run that slow and still complete the 1/2 at a 8:49 pace -- any words of wisdom???

It worked for me! I finished my half 12 minutes faster than my goal time. The theory is that long runs should be run at an easy pace. If you were running with a buddy, you guys should be able to chat. Running for a long time at a comfortable pace will give you confidence and endurance. That one day of speed or tempo work is what will give you the speed that you need. There is usually another day for maintenance. The maintenance run should be at an easy pace too.

I arrived at the start line and finished the race injury free. Think of this training as purposeful. Each training run has a purpose. Long slow distances will give you endurance. Speed or tempo workouts will help you learn to deal with lactic acid. Then of course your maintenance runs.

Once you start doing the speedwork, you'll be glad to hang out at 10:44 for a few days. If done correctly, the speedworkouts will have you begging for mercy.:laugh: I LOVE them! I did not always love the speed/tempo workouts until I started to get faster on all (long/easy too) of my runs.

I looked up my data from my training. Over 16 weeks, my long and maintenance runs were done between 10:30-11:30. My speed and tempos were done between 9:00-9:45. Four weeks before the race I ran 8:20 (PR) in a 5K. One year earlier, I ran that same race at 10:15. My pace for the half averaged 9:45. My best pace was the last .25 miles as I kicked to reach the finish line, 8:27.

Try the plan as prescribed for one week and see what you think. If you're not feeling good about your workouts, you can also select "train very hard".

Hth
    :heart: -Kechie.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Good morning all!! :smile: Havent been online much the last few days...

--Jess congrats on your Tri--thats awesome, and the shirt you're wearing in your profile pic.....Target?! :laugh: I have the same one :love:

I ran a Tri yesterday (400m Swim, 10 mile bike and 3 mile run) I got 6th (out of 16) in my age group. I ran my 3 mile in 23 minutes, so I was pretty pleased with the race.

this morning I ran a very slow/easy 3 mile (about 30 minutes) I didnt want to push myself too hard after yesterday.

:flowerforyou: Hope everyone had a great weekend, and are having a wonderful Monday!! :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member

--Jess congrats on your Tri--thats awesome, and the shirt you're wearing in your profile pic.....Target?! :laugh: I have the same one :love:

I ran a Tri yesterday (400m Swim, 10 mile bike and 3 mile run) I got 6th (out of 16) in my age group. I ran my 3 mile in 23 minutes, so I was pretty pleased with the race.

this morning I ran a very slow/easy 3 mile (about 30 minutes) I didnt want to push myself too hard after yesterday.

:flowerforyou: Hope everyone had a great weekend, and are having a wonderful Monday!! :flowerforyou:

Good job to you too!!!!!! Yep, Target!! I love it! Another lady had on the one in purple, she came over to tell me she had the one like mine too. :laugh:

Congrats again on your tri as well. Are you doing any more this summer?
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Hey everyone!

Jess! Congratulations! You rock!

Yesterday I ran 12 miles, so today I'm taking a rest. I think I'm going to load my three-year old on the back of my bike and head out for a little ride.

Have a good one!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member

Good job to you too!!!!!! Yep, Target!! I love it! Another lady had on the one in purple, she came over to tell me she had the one like mine too. :laugh:

Congrats again on your tri as well. Are you doing any more this summer?

I wore that shirt on my last Tri, and during the run I was passing a girl and she said "you got that shirt at target didnt you!" it was pretty funny :)

I have 2 more. 1 sprint at the end of the month and an olympic distance one that I'm *planning* on doing in July. the only issue witht that one is its the weekend after my parents leave, and they'll be here for 2 weeks, so I'm worried I wont get the training in that I need while they are here...so we'll see!!
  • jabdye
    Try the plan as prescribed for one week and see what you think. If you're not feeling good about your workouts, you can also select "train very hard".

Thanks Kechie!
    I tweaked it a little. If it's correct and I am able to finish the 1/2 in the time they are suggesting I will be thrilled! I like that it tells you how fast to fun. I have been running without a purpose -- and now I have the 1/2 in September. Rainman helped me a ton by giving me a schedule but it didn't tell me how fast or slow to go. This is very similar to what he suggested -- so I'm going to try it for a few weeks and see. Generally I run more than they are suggesting -- we'll see -- I'm trusting your expertise on this one -- as I have no knowledge about setting up a plan. Thanks again for taking the time to help. I'll let you know how it goes!
  • kechiemc

Thanks Kechie!
    I tweaked it a little. If it's correct and I am able to finish the 1/2 in the time they are suggesting I will be thrilled! I like that it tells you how fast to fun. I have been running without a purpose -- and now I have the 1/2 in September. Rainman helped me a ton by giving me a schedule but it didn't tell me how fast or slow to go. This is very similar to what he suggested -- so I'm going to try it for a few weeks and see. Generally I run more than they are suggesting -- we'll see -- I'm trusting your expertise on this one -- as I have no knowledge about setting up a plan. Thanks again for taking the time to help. I'll let you know how it goes!

You're welcome:happy: Definitely keep us posted. Also check out Runner's World, there is a really good article on there about how running less with more purpose is so much better for meeting your race goals.

I am so excited for you!
  • kechiemc

Way to go Tiddle!:drinker:
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Great post kechie.

That's exactly right about speed and endurance. They only meet on race day! Endurance runs are about continous time moving forward. You should be able to talk on the long runs, so slow down if you are short of breath.

The tempo runs are wonderful too, I like 3 minutes at 10k pace and 3 minutes at marathon pace. For those with simple Timex watches, set it to a continous 3 minute timer. Change pace at the beep, it's that easy. Great for active recovery!!

Personally, I have very little time for "garbage" runs just to build up base miles. I prefer cross training to limit impact, but I get an equivelant workout cycling, elliptical, or swimming (130-140 bpm for me).

Happy trails all!
    Raymond
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    uggh i had a horrible 4 miler today.....it's so hot here! I should have waited til later in the day i guess, but to top it off i got new nike running shorts that I was so excited about because I have been eyeing them for awhile...well the other day they went on sale, so I bought a pair...i wore them to day and they chaffed me so bad i will probably never wear them again.....hope everyone elses run goes better!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    5.1 miles for me.
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Thanks for your post yesterday, Kechie! I was wondering the same thing with my training sc hedule.

Had a slow 5 mile run this morning at 51:05. It was horrible. I just don't think I will EVER get used to the heavy humidity down here in South Mississippi!! Had a little knee pain, but mostly breathing issues. Have a great Monday everyone!!!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Scheduling my fall runs -Dissapointed to see the Run thru Hell has been cancelled this year :sad: I'm thinking of doing a 10 miler at the end of August (The Crim) with a Half in October(Brooksie's Way). So today is a nice easy 2 miler to start the training using Smart Coach although I'll probably work through my old Half training programs and combine several before I get just the right mix.
  • kechiemc
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

A challenging easy paced 5K for me this morning. Like Sonia, I'm battling the heat and humidity too.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone is up to today
    -Kechie.
  • jabdye
    uggh i had a horrible 4 miler today.....it's so hot here! I should have waited til later in the day i guess, but to top it off i got new nike running shorts that I was so excited about because I have been eyeing them for awhile...well the other day they went on sale, so I bought a pair...i wore them to day and they chaffed me so bad i will probably never wear them again.....hope everyone elses run goes better!

Might want to try Body Glide -- I had the same problem with my running bra and this has helped tremendously. It goes on like deodorant. Check it out! It's definitely worth it!
This discussion has been closed.