MFP Runner's Club

Replies

• SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Good Morning, my running friends!:flowerforyou:

Today on my morning run, I decided to test my endurance a little just to see how long I could go for. Prior to today, the longest amount of time I'd run for was 35 minutes. As per suggestions by Kechie and Teach, I adapted the "One Hour Runner" program to fit where I am...and today, I ran for 45 minutes! Even at my slow pace, that put me pretty close to 4 miles. I can't believe it! :bigsmile:

Happy running; hope everyone has a great day!
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,458 Member

Today on my morning run, I decided to test my endurance a little just to see how long I could go for. Prior to today, the longest amount of time I'd run for was 35 minutes. As per suggestions by Kechie and Teach, I adapted the "One Hour Runner" program to fit where I am...and today, I ran for 45 minutes! Even at my slow pace, that put me pretty close to 4 miles. I can't believe it! :bigsmile:

Good for you! :drinker:
  • 515TeachNRun
    Just a shout out for Jess, Have a great TRI today! :drinker:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Hi everyone,
    I got up bright and early at 5 this morning and hit a milestone. I had my first 10 mile run, I've never ran that far in my life and I didn't stop not once. Now granted, I was no Flo Jo out there but still, I'm very proud. I'm already stiff though, any good tips on that? I hope everyone is having a great weekend.
    :flowerforyou:
  • 515TeachNRun
    Good for you, WW! Try lying on your back and putting your legs up in the air for awhile. Also lots of good stretching and a soak in a COOL bath.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Hi everyone,
    I got up bright and early at 5 this morning and hit a milestone. I had my first 10 mile run, I've never ran that far in my life and I didn't stop not once. Now granted, I was no Flo Jo out there but still, I'm very proud. I'm already stiff though, any good tips on that? I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

That's awesome; you should definitely be proud of yourself! No tips for stiffness, but take care of yourself!
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Hi everyone,
    The big thing is to cool down properly and get a good stretch in after your run. make sure you are hydrated well. Have some carbs with some protein (4:1 ratio is best) shortly after your run to help with muscle recovery. You can try the body-builder's trick of taking glutamine supplements. It really does help with that 'post-workout soreness'.

Shuntae - congrats on the 45 minute run. Training is all about challanging yourself and having those break-throughs and all of a sudden you realize you can run faster or longer than you ever thought you could. Keep up the good work. :drinker:

Jess - good luck on your tri :flowerforyou:

Got to sleep in this morning because of a thunder storm (actually didn't get to sleep because the storm was too loud, but it was a good excuse not to get up and run). So, got a late start, but still got 5 miles in.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Jess ~ good luck today! Here's to fast times and no blisters! :drinker:

Shuntae~ that's awesome! Good for you! :flowerforyou:

WW(Jenny) ~ you rock girl! That's awesome!!! :bigsmile:

I did a slow but very hilly 6.5 this morning.
    And it was fun because I coud've kept going, but my friend/personal trainer was dying on me. I was the encourager which was a fun switch of roles. She stopped to walk at one point while I kept running to which she yelled at me *you suck!* I laughed my head off because usually I'm yelling the same thing at her when she's adding weights to my barbell! :laugh:
    It was the first time I've felt like:* I'm really a runner now*. It was a great feeling!

I hope everyone else has a wonderful weekend! :smile:

Becky
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    First ever 1.5 mile race done. I didn't finish very well, but I'm glad to have finished - 18'34". I would have been about 2 minutes faster except half the race we were literally running into a half marathon running group, and then at the end there were no signs to indicate exactly where we were supposed to go to get to the finish line because it was hidden by the crowd of people at the finish line for the half marathon. Oh well, time isn't important, but the fact I finished is :)

It was actually kind of fun having to dodge other runners, walkers, couples holding hands, etc. It was way more busy than my usual trail runs :laugh:
  • Lesli
    Lesli Posts: 46 Member
    Congrats on your first race. Sounds like it was lots of fun!
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    First ever 1.5 mile race done. I didn't finish very well, but I'm glad to have finished - 18'34". I would have been about 2 minutes faster except half the race we were literally running into a half marathon running group, and then at the end there were no signs to indicate exactly where we were supposed to go to get to the finish line because it was hidden by the crowd of people at the finish line for the half marathon. Oh well, time isn't important, but the fact I finished is :)

It was actually kind of fun having to dodge other runners, walkers, couples holding hands, etc. It was way more busy than my usual trail runs :laugh:
    Congrats on your first race. It isn't so much about finishing well, it's that you got out there and did it ; that is the accomplishment. Keep up the good work!
  • Lesli

That's awesome! Think of how many more calories you burned in those last ten minutes...burn baby, burn!
  • Lesli
    Finishing my coffee and then out the door for a run (jog). I'll go 3-4.5 miles. Have a great weekend everyone!
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Jess- Good luck today, keep us updated :happy:

msarro- Great job! It's so fun running in races.

Jenny- 10 miles! Thats great, you will for sure be ready for the marathon.

Everyone else, HAPPY RUNNING :happy: I got a quick 3 miles in today, felt pretty good, it was nice to take the week off. Have a great weekend, I will be coaching vb all day today and tomorrow!

~Leash :heart:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Good afternoon everyone!!

No running for me today...I am a little sore. Yesterday I ran 3.5 miles and did pretty good. I only stopped once to let a car go by so I wouldn't fall off the hill and I walked for 2 minutes up the steepest part of the mountain. I was so excited! That was the longest I have ever ran between walks!!! Pretty soon I'll be able to do the whole 5k without walking at all!! Yay for me - I'm gaining endurance!!!

I went to the drs this morning for my hypothyroidism. She told me that she was going to decrease my medication because it was too high. At first I was excited because I thought that would help with my weightloss....but she informed that too high of a dose makes you lose faster...so that means my weightloss will go slower. :grumble: Ahh well...it's better to be healthy...the weightloss is just a side effect of healthy living. Still, a small bummer.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Good afternoon:flowerforyou:

Today was a rest day for me. However, I desperately needed some exercise calories so I rode my bike with my daughter after dinner. Every time I look at my exercise calories from biking, I love running even more.

Seven for me tomorrow!

chat soon
    -Kechie.
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Y'all! :sad: :sad:

I still can't workout! My coach says I have Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness to the enth degree. I can't even hardly bend my knees. :sad: :sad: :sad: :explode: :explode: :angry: I hate this! I've tried BioFreeze and frozen peas and knee braces...nothing is helping. I feel like I walk "Frankenstein-ish"! This is the first time since I've started my journey that I am totally disgusted with myself. How could I be so stupid?!:sad: :sad: :sad: :mad:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    OK, better late than never. But... I did GREAT at the tri today!!!!!! I still can't believe it. It was perfect weather, and things just went well for me!! I totally beat my goal time in everything!!!

600 yd swim, 13 mile bike, 5K run (with transitions) = total time 1:24:07. And guess what? I came in 3rd in my Age group!!!!!! I got a trophy!! :drinker: I was in shock when I heard them call my name!! It was very cool!

I still felt awesome even after I finished and have been on a high all day from it!

More update later, just figured you guys would want to know! (and added a pic of me w/ the trophy!)

Jess
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    OK, better late than never. But... I did GREAT at the tri today!!!!!! I still can't believe it. It was perfect weather, and things just went well for me!! I totally beat my goal time in everything!!!

600 yd swim, 13 mile bike, 5K run (with transitions) = total time 1:24:07. And guess what? I came in 3rd in my Age group!!!!!! I got a trophy!! :drinker: I was in shock when I heard them call my name!! It was very cool!

I still felt awesome even after I finished and have been on a high all day from it!

More update later, just figured you guys would want to know! (and added a pic of me w/ the trophy!)

Jess

You should be very proud!! This is an incredible accomplishment!:drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :laugh:
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Jess-Congrats on the tri and coming in 3rd in your age group!

msarro-great job on your first race!

Jenny and Shuntae-you both set and accomplished huge goals! Good for you!

Becky-it sounds like you are now training your trainer!!!

Well I did it! I finished my first 5k, unfortunately it wasn't as fast as I wanted, but I ran the whole course! My official time was 34.15! It was a lot of fun and now I'm starting to feel like part of the running community in my town. There was a group of "girls on the run" girls/mentors that were running (I knew a lot of them) and I think my 8 year old daughter wants to join the group next year. She actually said to me she would like to do it, but only with me if I run faster! Most of the girls finished before me!!!!

Happy Sunday everyone!

Mary
This discussion has been closed.