MFP Runner's Club

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Black toenails....Knee injuries....shin splints.... bleeding through your shoes ....OMG! :noway:

What the h*ll am I getting myself into with all this running!?!?! :wink:

You guys are scaring the newbie :happy: Good thing that I love it!

haha sorry about that! Running is still great, most of that is due to the wrong shoes or over used shoes so don't worry, I love running too! :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Dang Sonia, that does stink.

I had something similar happen to me, not with a doctor though. When I had some knee pain (nothing major, just achey from a long run, I believe) and was talking about it with a co-worker. This person told me, "You aren't old...yet....but maybe you should stop running and start walking."

I've been running for about 6 years now! It's not like I just woke up and said, "I'm going to go run 7 miles today."

I want to be that 70 year old that I see running at my 5k's!
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    5 miles today. sharp knee pains on mile 5. Time 47:22

Went to the orthopedic doc yesterday and he pretty much told me not to run, or to slow down and cut distance, and told me not to do squats or lunges. He then preceded to tell me that 'I should see the problems that come in his office, like people who can't walk. ' THEN he said you 'have 3 kids to take care of , why would you worry about running a marathon.' So, I'm thinking what the hell. I left furious with an order to get an MRI, and I was in tears. Long story short, I didn't go to him because i couldn't walk-- I went to him because I had knee pain when I run. Isn't it his job to fix that, or am i asking too much? Should I see a sports med doc. or will he tell me the same thing. Will all docs tell you NOT to run?

Am I supposed to sit on my *kitten* til my bones and muscles deteriorate then go to him when I'm 60.??!!

Oh, man...that line about having three kids to take care of, why would you want to run a marathon is the huge red flag to find another doctor. RUN to find another doctor! How inappropriate for him to say that! How stinking unbelievable that he would say that! :grumble:

I would go to a sports medicine guy for a second opinion. When I had knee problems at the end of last year, I chose a sports medicine place and they were very sympathetic. My pain miraculously went away after some rest and a steady diet of Advil :laugh:, so I didn't go back. Oh...I self-prescribed the steady diet of Advil...not my doc! LOL

I do agree with one thing Dr. Macho said to you, though. You may want to slow down a bit. From what I understand (Runner's World is my source), you don't want to be running all out every time you run. You should be doing easy runs at a nice, easy pace, then working in a tempo run or speed work once a week, then ending your week with a long run. Check out their Smart Coach to get a training guidline. I made the mistake at the end of last year of going all out for time everytime I hit the pavement. It can wear your body down. Since I've slowed down my easy run pace, I've had no injuries.

Good luck to you Sonia!
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    I ran my first ever 5k race yesterday! I came in 1st in my age group at 23:04!

congratulations!!!! :drinker:
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Sonia, I agree with others. FIND A NEW DOCTOR!!! This guy should only be seeing the old people. What a horrible bedside manner. I guess he is strictly a bone doctor and does no sports himself. I do find it funny that they take the hypocratic oath but are hypocrits (sp?) in the way the live their lives. I can't tell you how many doctors that I have gone too that are overweight and smoke. What kinda message is that?

Find a sports medicine doctor and see if they can help you out. I had an appt today with one but postponed it until I get my bone scan. I can put weight on my leg today but we will see how it is later today.
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Also I think I figured out what was up with my shin... for some reason the laces on my right foot were tighter than the left, and the tongue of the shoe had moved over. Combine that with some ample stretching before the run and I was pain free. w00t!

Congrats on being pain free. It's strange how a little thing like shoe laces can cause so many problems.

Personally, I'm glad to see you posting here in our thread. I've been watching you grow with the couch to 5k program....and you were actually the person who inspired me to try it (couch25k, that is)....so thanks for that :flowerforyou:

Sonia, that sucks...go to another doctor. What he said was cr*p.

Ok, so I wasn't brave enough to go to the gym yesterday...I know, my own metal blockage. I ended up doing strength training instead.

Well, it's raining here again and I absolutely cannot go another day without running! So....if it doesn't stop raining, I'm either going to run in the rain or go to the gym and run on the treadmill. No more excuses!

Sometime this weekend I am going to track and time my mile. I really would like to know how I'm doing as far as speed goes.

Take care everyone!
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Black toenails....Knee injuries....shin splints.... bleeding through your shoes ....OMG! :noway:

What the h*ll am I getting myself into with all this running!?!?! :wink:

You guys are scaring the newbie :happy: Good thing that I love it!

I'm thinking the same thing!!!:laugh:

I'm so inspired by all of you here. Reading your stories of how long you run everyday and the races you finish makes me feel so good!

Annaliza, if it isn't raining too hard, go for it! I ran one day last week in a light mist and it felt great!

Tomorrow is my big day, my first 5k! We ran the course yesterday and finished in about 31 minutes...the only problem was, I was wearing a new running skirt and now have serious chaffing on my thighs! Any advice???
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    5 miles today. sharp knee pains on mile 5. Time 47:22

Went to the orthopedic doc yesterday and he pretty much told me not to run, or to slow down and cut distance, and told me not to do squats or lunges. He then preceded to tell me that 'I should see the problems that come in his office, like people who can't walk. ' THEN he said you 'have 3 kids to take care of , why would you worry about running a marathon.' So, I'm thinking what the hell. I left furious with an order to get an MRI, and I was in tears. Long story short, I didn't go to him because i couldn't walk-- I went to him because I had knee pain when I run. Isn't it his job to fix that, or am i asking too much? Should I see a sports med doc. or will he tell me the same thing. Will all docs tell you NOT to run?

Am I supposed to sit on my *kitten* til my bones and muscles deteriorate then go to him when I'm 60.??!!

:flowerforyou: Sonia

Definitely get a second opinion. I also google the doctor's name before I make an appointment. Some doctor's are runners so when you google them sometimes race results will appear in the search results. Last year I was having some problems with my heels. Before the doctor could say anything to me I told him "Not running is not an option. What else you got?" It made him laugh but it also helped him try to think of some other options for me.

Get well soon and keep us posted
    :heart: -Kechie.
  • hessied
    Tomorrow is my big day, my first 5k! We ran the course yesterday and finished in about 31 minutes...the only problem was, I was wearing a new running skirt and now have serious chaffing on my thighs! Any advice???

I've heard "Body Glide" is pretty amazing stuff. It looks like a stick of deodorant, but you swipe on spots where you tend to chafe.

Best of luck with your 5K!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Have fun Jess. The Tri's are usually intense gigs. Runners are an easy going bunch. The usual 5k-10k race and about 20% of the runners actually think they are going to win. In Tri, well, they ALL think they are going to win it seems. It's fun, but crazy. I used to be a competitive Tri person so feel free to email any questions about transitions, pre-race, etc... I've done the drill dozens of times. Practice the T1 and T2 big time. You won't have a brain once you get out of the water, trust me.

Thanks Leash!!! I was commenting to another runner about toenails. It's a right of passage with the distance stuff. I've bled thru some shoes too. Great to hear you are feeling better and glad your "tripping" on the high. Great Job!

Raymond

Thanks! This will be my 3rd tri so I understand the transitions and everything, but need to get everything laid out so I don't forget anything!! They are fun, and it always seems like it goes by so FAST!! I did the transition last night, I hate trying to tie my shoes fast! :huh:
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,458 Member
    So sorry to hear of your bad experience, Sonia :flowerforyou:

Best of luck this weekend, Jess!

Ran a nice three with my nine year old yesterday! We just headed out the door, walked a couple of blocks, and then started a nice job. I told her to tell me when she needed a break or wanted to walk-never! I asked several times along the route; she just smiled and said no. SHe probably could have gone faster as she chatted the entire way :laugh:

When we got home, she gave me a nice hug and kiss and said, "Thanks, mom, that was fun!" :smooched: :heart: :smooched:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Teach, awww, that's awesome!!!

Jess, good luck to you!!

Ok, can someone explain the lingo to me? What are transitions, t2, t1?
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,458 Member
    Teach, awww, that's awesome!!!

Jess, good luck to you!!

Ok, can someone explain the lingo to me? What are transitions, t2, t1?

I don't do tris, but my guess is when the athletes are going between swimming and biking and then between biking and running.
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Laces, whatever. I used these squiggly pig laces for kids shoes, I'll try to take a pic for ya. Yank and go. I laced a pair of race flats I used. I never wore socks either (only on Ironman stuff), everything else no socks. I was always top 3 on T2, even in regional championships.

T1 = swim to bike, or wobbly legged where am I dizzyness as you try to find a bike
    T2 = bike to run, or numb leg heart racing panic attack

Good luck Jess! Enjoy the new bike. That is one thing that has changed, wow, a $5k bike is everyday stuff at most tri's now.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

Easy paced 5K for me this morning. It is very humid here.

Funny thing happened... I usually wear a moisture wicking visor when I run - rain or shine. I use it to keep the sweat out of my eyes. Since I ran 2 days in a row, my visor was dirty. So I used a sweat band today. Now, I have a weird tan line across by forehead where I was wearing the headband.:laugh:

Happy Friday
    -Kechie.
  • hessied
    Easy paced 6 for me today. Had to do it on the treadmill because of the rain.

Kechie-don't you love to odd tan lines we get as runners? :laugh: I've got a nice line across my cheeks where my sunglasses hit. So pretty!

Teach - sounds like a nice time with your daughter. I think it's great that you get to share time with her that way.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    I'm going to the doctor for my knee then hopefully I'll be able to run tonight, I really want to! My friend wanted me to do a half with her tomorrow but I was like um prolly not the best idea less than a week after doing a marathon, happy running! :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    good afternoon all, took a couple of days off due to left knee feeling hyper extended..grrrr:explode:

Anyway, easing back into it since I have a 3 day hiking trip next week so only 3 little miles today :wink:
  • I just got in from my 5.06 kms run in my new Fila running shoes.
    They felt good and I took 3 minutes off my time.
    Good for me!!!!
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    I'm on vacation, but luckily the hotel had a fitness center. I got in 5 miles this morning on the treadmill... But, I've been limping all day. I'm not so sure I have a pulled muscle, I think it might be more serious.. I'm not going to find out until after I run my 5k next fri. If it still hurts, I'll go to the doctor.:yawn:
This discussion has been closed.