Sloppy Women at the Gym

Options

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between girls looking like they are ready to go to a club, and just dressing so you don't look like a slob. But I also get the impression that if someone is that focused on how they look and need to look a certain way in order to feel better about themselves at the gym, then maybe they are there for the wrong reasons, and maybe they are just looking for attention.

I wouldn't show up to the gym in a stained shirt and unwashed hair, but I also wouldn't purposely put on new makeup and spend an hour on my hair before going to the gym. I go because I want to work out, I don't really care what I look like while doing it. If I cared, I wouldn't be working out in a public place. I also wouldn't want other girls giving me dirty looks because I'm not wearing brand name work out clothes or shoes. Labels and brands don't make you better than anybody else.

You're right, they don't make you better than anybody else. But they don't make you worse than anybody else either. I think the OP was just trying to state that just because a woman is put together and has her makeup on and a cute matchy matchy outfit, doesn't mean they aren't there to work hard too. I work just as hard as a woman wearing mismatched work out clothes with no makeup on. I just prefer to be put together all the time, but I really don't care how anybody else dresses at the gym---we're all there for the same reason (well, most of us)!
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I dont really pay any attention to what other people are wearing at the gym,but I can only hope that something im doing or wearing is ruining someones day and forcing them to type out their frustraions on some message board somewhere:laugh:

This! YES!!! :laugh:
  • ConcordPhil
    ConcordPhil Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My pony tail is way cuter than your pony tail.

oh man... ponytails. *sigh*
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    What is it with all these threads lately? Why do you think that anybody really cares what you're wearing or what you look like. If you were in my gym, other than giving you a brief smile if I saw you, you wouldn't register AT ALL. Maybe that's what bothers you?

You sound very smug and dismissive of other women so I guess if they're dismissive of you, what goes around comes around.

Really, get over yourself - wear what you want, do what you want, anybody who takes any notice of that is shallow and anybody who thinks that stuff like this matter is just as shallow. Sorry, but these threads are just too much.

MFP... do you think you could start a new 'NARCISSIST' section for these threads? Pretty please? I thought this was about workout technique and was keen for tips... no such luck!
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I work out at home in my underwear... I think that might be frowned upon at the gym...
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If you've got the money to drop on matching, wicking under armour in colors that suit your mood, great.

It's called TJ Maxx and Marshell's .. you can't find Under Armour for a hell of a lot cheaper then you find it in retail stores.

To OP:
    I'm the girl in the cute matching clothes and I love it. I absolutely hate when I don't match and have a mini heart attack when I don't. My top/pants/socks/shoes always match.. and they always will.
  • UpToTheChallenge
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with wearing lulu or other cute workout clothes in funky colours - I do it. I wear lulu because it is comfortable and doesn't stretch after one wear.

I go after work, so yes I am going to be wearing make up, but I think people are referring to the people who put on make up JUST to go to the gym and wear the shortest short shorts that show their butt cheeks. That just is not necessary.

It sounds like you wear what majority of the girls at my gym wear.
  • eschwab855
    eschwab855 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    We need pics or this thread never happened
  • bratgrrl
    bratgrrl Posts: 30
    Options

Btw, I love my super cute Lulu and Nike outfits, and I feel naked without mascara :) And I work my *kitten* off while wearing that super cute gear!

This. I dont put on fresh makeup or "do" my hair before I go. whatever is left on my face from work, that's what I wear to the gym. By the time I'm done, it's pretty much all gone. But I do like to wear "workout" clothes rather than just shorts and tshirts, mostly because I look decent in cute workout clothes now and I'm no longer hiding behind baggy.
  • stormyous
    stormyous Posts: 157
    Options
    I tend to wear jeans and whatever.
  • motherof3brats
    motherof3brats Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Are you going to the gym to look cute or workout?? I think most of us go to the gym for one reason and one reason only and that is to workout!
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    some people cant afford to buy clothes just to go to the gym. I know at one point as a single mom it was everything I could do just to afford the 30 dollar memebership and decided the fact that I was there was what mattered. Not what I was wearing. And I would take shower and be super clean before my work out so I wouldnt sweat makeup into my pores. I never looked down on anyone who looked nice though. I just wanted to go work out and it was my "alone" time so was in my own little world
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I love my cute work out gear. But after working out I just look like *kitten*.

I work out REALLY hard and I'm covered in sweat, my makeup runs, my hair gets frizzy, my face gets bright red...

I don't really care though, just means I'll look better when I'm not at the gym.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I have no beef with what anyone wears, as long as it's presentable! wear your makeup, do your hair, who cares? I feel more comfortable without it, but to each their own.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I have no beef with people who go to the gym dressed like you dress. I have issues when girls look like they came from somewhere else, and decided to stop by the gym last minute. I've seen ladies with jeans, fancy jackets and sweaters, and other clothes which do not look comfortable, and which I would not want to sweat in. If you are going to take it easy, and barely sweat, don't do during peak time, when there are lines of people waiting for the treadmill.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I don't care what others wears at the club but I have problem with people who don't clean up after themself
    -don't clean equipment, don't put back the weights, get in the hot tub and pool without taking a shower with full of make up or
    wear their dirty filthy work out clothes.
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    I wear and old Betty Boop shirt and matching cut off sweats every day (don't worry, they are washed every night...lol). These are comfortable to me. As the weight comes off, I may look into cuter attire...only if they're comfortable. Comfort is the #1 priority. I go to the gym to put my body to the test and want to be as comfortable as I can while making myself uncomfortable...:bigsmile:
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Because the people who are dressing like that are typically not doing **** for a workout.

And you care why? As long as they aren't in my way, they are like a pretty picture

I don't. But that's why those threads often get posted on here *****ing about women "primping up" for the gym. Which is what I'm guessing what OP made this thread in response to.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I also would never spend money on "workout clothes". I just wear old clothes that I wouldn't wear on a normal day anymore, so they get put to use and don't just get thrown out. I'd rather spend my money on other more important things, like the clothes I wear OUTSIDE of the gym.

Honestly, I spend good money on work out clothes for many reasons other than the aesthetic. First, working out (particularly running) is my hobby, so why wouldn't I spend money on my hobby? Additionally, the quality. I can tell you 5 minutes into a run if I'm wearing cheaper old clothes that aren't specifically for running, and I'm chafing and uncomfortable. There is a lot to be said about really good quality athletic clothing that wicks moisture away from the body and allows for cooling of the body while working out intensely. I only run in good quality running clothing. I will hit the weights in an old t-shirt and some workout shorts (I have like a ridiculous amount of brightly colored Nike running shorts), but when it comes to my running, I spend the money because it's worth it to me.

That's totally fine that YOU don't want to spend money on athletic clothing, but that clothing is made specifically for exercise, and that's why I wear it as opposed to whatever old stuff I've got laying around. It's nobody's business but mine how I choose to spend my money, and it doesn't matter to me how you choose to spend yours.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I go after work so I've already got make up on & I put my hair back in a pony tail. My work out clothes are a mix of cute clothes & also random tees. I don't look down on women who put a lot of effort into their look & I don't judge women who don't. People should do what they want to do & dress how they want to dress. As for me, I'm there to work. I don't give a crap what anyone thinks of what I'm wearing. I'm happy & that's all that matters.