Women who don't accept male friend requests

Options

Replies

• minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have guy friends, but I wonder if sometimes ladies don't accept requests from guys out of respect for their relationship? If my hubby was uncomfortable with my guy friends they'd be deleted. I'm glad he doesn't mind since they're all pretty awesome. :)

if this is the case, clearly its time for a new boyfriend or husband. maybe they like women?
  • sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I don't get this, "out of respect for my husband/boyfriend" this is a fitness site not a dating site...

completely agree. if you have an open, honest, trusting relationship with your significant other why would they care?
  • ryanakamero
    Options
    I have some really bad personal messages sent to me. I block them immediately, but hard to have too many guy friends after that. I wont put up with it.

Just guessing here but it might be due to the profile photo you've chosen?
  • legmotor
    legmotor Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    well in my case its not specified on my profile but i accept only guys that are about my age , up to about 26. i have a lot of older guys (40+) add me and i usually deny , its nothing personal but i do have like bikini pics on my profile and i would just feel uncomfortable about having older men on there while i post these things. it feels like my dad seeing them lol. so thats my reason... if someone got offended sorry but you asked opinions...

Ummm, we can still see you when you post things in public forums. Silly girl ; P
  • christyd4
    christyd4 Posts: 191
    Options
    I have a couple guy friends on here one I know outside of here and a couple that I just think are motivating. Though if my boyfriend said this makes me uncomfortable they would be gone.
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't mind. Hubby doesn't mind. But all it takes is one off hand creepo comment or no reciprocal support and they are gone. Come to think of it that goes for the same sex too. That is all.

Yep! My only two guy friends right now are my fiance and one of my good friends. I have no issue accepting male friend requests but the only request I've gotten so far ended up being a creeper who promptly got deleted.
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    At first I added them, then I stopped, then added them again. I've gotten a few messages on MFP from men giving me unwanted attention even though it's expressed that I'm very married on my profile. To me, that crosses the line. I don't really add men I don't know to my personal social sites like facebook because I'm married and I don't do the "guy friendship" thing with new men. My life isn't lead by a single girl anymore. It's a bit harder for women is all.
  • MrsHutcho9988
    Options
    I think its fine unless you get creepers. Right now I have a 2 men on my friends list. One is my father who is on this weight loss journey with me, and the other is a good friend who happens to be gay. My husband and I are long distance so even a word meaning a male human being pisses him off, so out of respect for him I haven't added any other men, (nor have I received any requests from men) but Im not against it in any way. We are all in this together, so the more the merrier!
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    This is a website for support. I could care less if you have a penis or not..I will accept you as long as you are willing to work at being healthy. With that being said, I do however, review their profile and look for any information that may make them seem shady. My husband does not mind me having male supporters on here.
  • jessicas0215
    Options
    I am happy to have male and female friends. I think both men and women can contribute to my knowledge of what works as far as weight loss. A man can inspire my weight loss just as much as a woman can. If a man send me something I'm uncomfortable with, I delete than block them..
    But the same thing goes for women.... I've had friends that just seem nasty and sarcastic in their posts and their comments on my posts... I delete then block..

As far as the people who say "who cares?" go, then why did you read the thread and take the time to comment???
  • lillithemaculate
    Options
    I'm happy to be with friends with m's as well as f's, and just use common sense with both gender when adding friends. I've only got 3 friends so far 2 girlies and 1 boy. As long as any friend is appropriate in their message content I'm fine. My other half is also fine with this as he knows I'm not on here long enough to get chatting asuch, and knows I'm not here to flirt. Other forums I'm wary about, and FB is one site I have to know you to add you. (Lots of marriage proposals from rich foreigners needing to live in the U.K and perverts!). :ohwell: But you do have to be careful on any on line interaction. :wink:
  • AmberFaith90
    AmberFaith90 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I accept anybody, despite race, age, gender or sexual orientation. As long as they're supportive and active on here. The most supportive friends I have on MFP are men. They've never came off as creepy, and they offer more realistic advice than a lot of women. "Keep going", "Don't give up" and "You can do this" isn't very helpful. Kind, but not helpful.
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    sorry to be harsh, but women that use their signifcant others as reasons for not adding guys are:

1. delusional and hope their guys would get mad
    2. jealous, and would get pissed if their guy did the same
    3. are in less then healthy relationships because any guy that would not approve of that has issues and must think you are less than faithful.

I mean what else could it be ... how much more innocent could adding a guy on a weight loss website be? what the hell?

Now, i know guys, bering one, and I totally agree there are weirdos out there, so if that is your reason, fine, but to say your guy would not approve ...? ISSUES ....
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Why are people focusing on the ones who deny males based on their relationship status? Let them be. No need to insult their relationship and say how insecure they are if they won't have male friends. Certain relationships have more limits and others have less limits. Doesn't make either of them "bad" relationships. There are couples who allow swinging and open relationships. Those type of relationships could easily be thought of as not a "real" relationship but they are because the couple says they are, and that needs to be respected.

I never understand why people get so up in arms about what other people do in their relationship. They're not involved in the couple, so why are you so invested and angry?
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm always amazed at how many hang-ups women have.

um, just about every women I know has told me THAT IS THE REASON THEY HAVE GUY FRIENDS AND PREFER MEN COWORKERS. its nuts! lol

I always am amazed by that.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Of course it is no ones business!

So are a lot of the questions asked on the message boards. Still there is nothing wrong with the OP asking a question about something she is curious about.

She already outed herself several times of not just being curious by trying to force her standards of support on the rest of us. Because she has no problem having male friends on here, she thinks the rest of us shouldn't either. This was a why don't you do the same thing I do thread disguised as an innocent question. She's shown us that in her follow up responses.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    To each his/her own. Some women do not even like men, so why should they have to friend them on a website?

What would be sad is if a woman was scared to friend a man on a site out of fear from her significant other, but if she just does not feel comfortable being friends with men, then really, who cares? Its like if you dont believe people should be gay, then dont be gay.

So far I have had a good experience on MFP with the men I have met and friended on here, but let me tell ya, I can not count the number of times I have been creeped on by men on other sites.

I thought our goal here was fitness, to me that is nutrition and exercise, not who people should be friends with. That is petty and so high school.
  • Memorysketch
    Memorysketch Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Eh. Me? Personally? Bring on the dudes. I haven't had any creepers. :D
    My guy would only get cranky if the males on my list were being .. inappropriate. I'm a flirty creature by nature, but that doesn't bother him. It would, on the other hand, bother him if I were sending private messages or indulging in ~hardcore cybersex~. Whatever that is :huh:

I might actually get a little self conscious if some hot dude added me and he saw my food diary when I'm not doing my best, but I don't think that would stop me from adding some buff Peter Steele lookalike. (If you're a Peter Steele lookalike, please add me! :smooched: )

I think we're all human and enjoy attractive bodies, no matter what the gender. It doesn't make you a bad guy. If adding dudes makes you uncomfortable, don't do it. If your dude has issues with men adding you .. well, talk to him about it. If he can explain himself without being an asshat about it, and you /agree/ with him, don't do it. It's not a big deal. If you want to be ~mysterious~ and keep men from seeing how farty you really are, don't add 'em.

And. Uh. Having a picture of yourself in a bikini does not mean that person is looking to get inappropriate messages, people. Really? Way to blame the victim.
  • yessiseguy
    yessiseguy Posts: 116
    Options
    I really love my mfp friends. I pray for them when they need. I get happy when they are happy and it has gotten to the point where i always say love ya or xoxo. I leave a flirty (in a good way) smile for my bff. All this makes me happy and my husband sees how happy I am when i do this. I want to have a true sincere relationship with them. If i were to have a guy in my friends, maybe I'd feel the same!!!! Maybe I will get happy and even love and celebrate his triumphs. Now, I dont think my husband would like that? I do not want a conflict and I do not want to ever make him feel any weird way about my outstanding mfp friends! Thats my reason.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    it depends what site it is i am on,,, but i have been there and done that!