Women who don't accept male friend requests

Options

Replies

• rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    sorry to be harsh, but women that use their signifcant others as reasons for not adding guys are:

1. delusional and hope their guys would get mad
    2. jealous, and would get pissed if their guy did the same
    3. are in less then healthy relationships because any guy that would not approve of that has issues and must think you are less than faithful.

I mean what else could it be ... how much more innocent could adding a guy on a weight loss website be? what the hell?

Now, i know guys, bering one, and I totally agree there are weirdos out there, so if that is your reason, fine, but to say your guy would not approve ...? ISSUES ....

You ca be as harsh as you want but all stated above is just an OPINION and not a fact. You don't personally know every woman who's in a relationship that prefers NOT to have male friends do you? Didn't think so. There are some of us who just respect our partner's wishes out of respect for them, it doesn't mean they are controlling or psycho either. Just like I don't assume that all the women/men who do have relationships out of their marriage/relationship are liberating *kitten* who sleep around.

Just because you are on a fitness site doesn't mean that everyone here has a mind for fitness. I, and many other women have received unwanted attention and not all of us has our *kitten* and tits hanging out. Unless the guy is fine with being a friend to both my husband and I, why else would I need him as a friend outside of the site? There are some people who just cross the line when it comes to male/female relations. To each their own, but please don't label everyone who has a differing opinion from yours. At the end of the day it's still an opinion.
  • 2kidsandadonut
    2kidsandadonut Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    lol this thread makes me laugh! If I didn't have male friends in RL then I probably wouldn't have many friends. Personally, I play video game (Xbox and PS3 online) and I've come across it ALL! I love guys they are funny and don't hide what they are thinking and will tell you point blank if something makes you look fat (at least my husband will) Also, I'm a little on the bent side of things and if a guy gets grossed out by talking about my period it is just deserts for having to hear about his ball sweat. Just sayin. But I also can understand blocking for relationship purposes. However, what I find appalling are these girls who post these obvious 'sexy' bikini/underwear shots and then put NO MEN well DUH! if you post something showing yourself off like that you invite your own attention. I don't care how good someone may look in Victoria secret I don't wanna see it on your profile pic.
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Why are people focusing on the ones who deny males based on their relationship status? Let them be. No need to insult their relationship and say how insecure they are if they won't have male friends. Certain relationships have more limits and others have less limits. Doesn't make either of them "bad" relationships. There are couples who allow swinging and open relationships. Those type of relationships could easily be thought of as not a "real" relationship but they are because the couple says they are, and that needs to be respected.

I never understand why people get so up in arms about what other people do in their relationship. They're not involved in the couple, so why are you so invested and angry?

Agreed! I would never judge a couple based on what they do in their relationship. It's none of my business and I can't stand it when people go out on a limb to judge mine. Just because I'm married to a guy who doesn't prefer me to have male friends outside of "us" doesn't mean I'm married to some controlling psycho who has past relationship issues. In my opinion, me having male friends outside of him is a bit questionable. Again, that's my opinion and I respect those who don't agree, just don't throw it in my face and assume.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Maybe they only want female friends. Isn't that reason enough?

I guess, but enough to go out of their way to specify that male friend requests won't be accepted? I just don't understand why. It's mind boggling to me. What's wrong with male friends?

I just prefer to have female friends. I have the "only accept female friends" on my profile so the guys know not to waste their time trying to add me and I don't seem rude for never accepting them.
  • arkansascountrygirl
    arkansascountrygirl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am single so I accept male friends. many have been very nice to me. I think some in relationships may feel the boyfriend/ or husband may not like it if the lady would talk to another man.
  • vegagirl2012
    Options
    From the ones that I did see with that request it was usually out of respect for their spouse or current relationship. I have majority females on mine besides my husband & a male cousin. I just don't get male requests but my husband is fine with it. My husband has both but majority females and I'm ok with it because we share some of the same people. He also tells me when he gets a new friend request also. The goal of this journey is to be supportive in a positive way to who needs it. Nothing more, nothing less. He's not communicating with them outside of MFP or being inappropriate with them on MFP. I understand that people may have to do what they need to do keep peace in their homes even if that means by not excepting certain requests. Can't do anything but respect their choice.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I wonder too sometimes especially if they are scantily clad... What they want to just tease the men? The male friends I have here are great.
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My friends list on MFP is comprised of both men and women. My husband of nearly 12 yrs trusts me enough to be friends with whoever I want. Love my friends here - just wish they were more interactive. I enjoy friends with a sense of humor.
  • yessiseguy
    yessiseguy Posts: 116
    Options
    Very sweet and agree :) with Rachellosesit. We are all different!
    As we are different sizes and shapes so are relationships! :)
  • xdaysbingefree
    xdaysbingefree Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer having female friends because I just feel that I can relate more to them. If I find a male that whom I feel would be helpful to me to have as a friend, then I have no problem adding them. I only have about 4 male friends, and they are all pretty close to my age. I don't care about the ages of my female friends, but it makes me uncomfortable to have male friends over a certain age. (I am only 18)
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I accept anybody, despite race, age, gender or sexual orientation. As long as they're supportive and active on here. The most supportive friends I have on MFP are men. They've never came off as creepy, and they offer more realistic advice than a lot of women. "Keep going", "Don't give up" and "You can do this" isn't very helpful. Kind, but not helpful.

+1 :)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    The reason I don't accept male friend requests is something you hit on- the progress pics i've taken have been so helpful to me in seeing my progress but i don't feel comfortable having others guys look at and comment on my body. I'm engaged and i know 1. my fiancee wouldn't be comfortable with it either and 2. he is extremely supportive and always gives me feedback, constructive criticism, and encouragement. Also, men and women are SO different in what they need to train. I read forums and blogs so i do see good advice but i like to talk with women so i can relate.
    If i get a male friend request, which is not frequent, i send a polite message explaining why i won't accept and wish them luck and offer encouragement. I have always gotten nice and respectful messages back so it's not really those men i'm guarding against. Just a little more cautious although anything on the internet is pretty public these days...

Yah might wanna make yer profile more private then. Yer picz are very visible.

Good, although painfully obvious, suggestion. Already thought of it. Not sure how to make only the pictures private. I want people to be able to read my profile but not see the pics. Not sure if it's possible.

Do ya have a suggestion on how to do that? Is yer profile private like that? How do you hide yer picz?

In addition, I honestly just don't want to interact with the guys that are creeping my page (like you did). If they do it, I can't stop it so whatever. But i can deny friend requests so i'm not put in compromising situations that i want to avoid.

If you do not want people seeing your pictures, you delete them.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    The reason I don't accept male friend requests is something you hit on- the progress pics i've taken have been so helpful to me in seeing my progress but i don't feel comfortable having others guys look at and comment on my body. I'm engaged and i know 1. my fiancee wouldn't be comfortable with it either and 2. he is extremely supportive and always gives me feedback, constructive criticism, and encouragement. Also, men and women are SO different in what they need to train. I read forums and blogs so i do see good advice but i like to talk with women so i can relate.
    If i get a male friend request, which is not frequent, i send a polite message explaining why i won't accept and wish them luck and offer encouragement. I have always gotten nice and respectful messages back so it's not really those men i'm guarding against. Just a little more cautious although anything on the internet is pretty public these days...

I wouldn't exactly class clicking on someone's profile as 'creeping'

If you really are so sensitive why not make your profile restricted access? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/profile_privacy

Yah might wanna make yer profile more private then. Yer picz are very visible.

Good, although painfully obvious, suggestion. Already thought of it. Not sure how to make only the pictures private. I want people to be able to read my profile but not see the pics. Not sure if it's possible.

Do ya have a suggestion on how to do that? Is yer profile private like that? How do you hide yer picz?

In addition, I honestly just don't want to interact with the guys that are creeping my page (like you did). If they do it, I can't stop it so whatever. But i can deny friend requests so i'm not put in compromising situations that i want to avoid.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Some women on here have boyfriends, husbands, or are even just single and want to post progress photos. Some of these women are more modest and would prefer only other females to see them. Or, as some women mentioned, they prefer to be modest about certain bodily functions and it makes them more comfortable to talk to these issues with women only. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a little modesty or respect for your spouse when it comes to showing off your near-nude body or sparing yourself embarrassment when it comes to talking about non 'lady-like' subjects (not my personal opinion of said subjects). There is also nothing wrong with the complete opposite and showing it off to everyone so long as you and your spouse are cool with that. I am friends with males and females, my husband knows and is perfectly fine with it, but the day I wanted to post some risque pictures I would probably choose to only have girl-friends on here as well.

I really don't know how or why people don't see the reasoning behind some women only wanting female friends. There is nothing wrong with it, just like there is nothing wrong with the opposite.
  • SaturnMB84
    Options
    I only except women because of the simple fact I have one man in my life that I need to look good to. No other man needs to tell me I'm looking good. And women understand things we go through more then man. Just what I do .
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    I really can't believe that so many people judge on something as arbitrary as gender. It's really confusing to me.

Anyway, people making comments implying girls are asking for creepy messages because of profile pictures is despicable. A member should be free to post any picture they want, within the rules, without the fear of being harassed by a creep online. Yes, there are creeps that will do so, but the blame lies with them, none of it lies with the person who posts the photo. It's almost like the usual justification of rape 'she was wearing skimpy clothes...' . Bull****.
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I would prefer to be friends with males because they are much less judgemental than women.

But, if I had to guess why, I would say it's because maybe some of their pictures show a little much and they're uncomfortable/insecure with men they don't know seeing them?

Hmm, I don't know about that. I think women are just less judgemental to your face. In general, guys will tell you the truth, women will tell everyone EXCEPT you the truth
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It sounds quite pretentious to me. I wonder what their reaction would be if all the men put 'no females!' on their profile.

LOL, I'm open to anyone :-)

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe I'm wrong, but I kind of feel like a lot of the women who refuse to have male friends would call it sexist if a guy tried to do the same thing
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I know I debated for awhile on not adding guys but ultimately decided I didn't care. I didn't want to get hit on/creepy messages, which I get anyway, but just ignore, but it was more that I didn't want to admit that I was "overweight" to a member of the opposite sex or post progress pics that guys could see and maybe go, "ew!" at. Just a little self conscious about my body, and a random guy's opinion matters more to me than a random girl's opinion, for whatever reason.
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I really can't believe that so many people judge on something as arbitrary as gender. It's really confusing to me.

Anyway, people making comments implying girls are asking for creepy messages because of profile pictures is despicable. A member should be free to post any picture they want, within the rules, without the fear of being harassed by a creep online. Yes, there are creeps that will do so, but the blame lies with them, none of it lies with the person who posts the photo. It's almost like the usual justification of rape 'she was wearing skimpy clothes...' . Bull****.

Agreed, rape culture really sucks.