Attitudes of people with different levels of fitness and wei

Options

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    First I have to admit I haven't read every post in this thread, so if I repeat an idea that's already been expressed........

I have a real problem with the whole "obesity epidemic" nomenclature. When I think of the word epidemic I think of a rapid and uncontrolled spread of a communicable disease, you don't catch fat......
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    IMy whole family is large as well. Obesity doesn't run in my family, poor eating habits do!

Love this!

perfect
  • saturnine15
    saturnine15 Posts: 140
    Options
    First I have to admit I haven't read every post in this thread, so if I repeat an idea that's already been expressed........

I have a real problem with the whole "obesity epidemic" nomenclature. When I think of the word epidemic I think of a rapid and uncontrolled spread of a communicable disease, you don't catch fat......
    Agreed. It's strange that the epidemic has only reached nations with a high level of caloric consumption and sedentary lifestyles. hmmm...
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    Having being on MFP for a few years more recently I have started to look at the forums.

I have a genuine observation and wonder if people agree with me and what their opinion is. I am not meaning to be in any way offensive.

I notice that fitter / correct weight people seem to have a more no-nonsense approach - to get fit you exercise , lots , and eat less because you are overweight because you eat too much.

Overweight people seem to be constantly in denial and bringing up health and metabolism issues that are, whilst unfortunate in those they affect, rarely the true reason that is eating too much. The word 'fat' on here almost seems to be a massive insult

I saw a program on TV where someone had to have a leg cut off from health complications that were simply overweight - but there was no addressing of the weight problem just the acceptance of the situation -- if I had a leg cut off because of weight I would glue my mouth shut!!

So it always gets me wondering is the denial and political correctness that prevent appropriate honesty a major cause of the increasing trend of obesity??

Interestingly enough I'm English and find American posters on here (in a country with more obesity) very quickly flare up at the use of the fat word. As do the larger posters (I admit I am judging this from profile pictures) you wont see a toned person defending metabolism as a major cause of obesity - even if they once weighed 20 stone

I'm sorry, but I'm fat, obese, whatever term you want to label me, and that's not how I view things at all regarding myself. Sure, I have certain things that added to why I gained weight, but in general I know that it was poor diet and inactivity. I don't have any problem using the word "fat" to describe myself, because that's what I am. I think people use it in a mean way, so you can't begrudge someone for getting upset when you're intentionally trying to insult them, but that's all about context.

On a fitness and health website, I don't see the point in being politically correct. Don't be rude, don't be an @$$hole, but don't play down the issues. If someone's in denial then that's their own issue, not yours.

But it's funny that you mention that the fit people have their heads on straight, and the fat people don't. That's quite a stereotype considering most people on here began as an unfit, overweight individual. Sure, you get the people who want to blame everything and everyone for their failure and issues, but you'll get that no matter where you are.

But then Americans are just dumb, fat unmotivated people who can't face facts, correct? I'm likely one of them, so what do I know? Careful, though, the UK is only 7% away from catching up with the US in regards to national obesity levels.

*shakes head*
  • Gmajean23
    Options
    I have read all of these postings and just want to add a few comments. I definitely think that as we age our metabolism slows down considerably so you have to change what you do; eat less, eat better, exercise more. I am 61 and never had a weight problem until I reached the age of 45. Exercise wasn't such a craze back then so I didn't do much, only sporadically took an aerobic class or water exercise class. Pounds began to creep on so by age 55 I weighed 180 on my 5 foot 2 inch frame. I had to have a knee replacement six years ago and now my other knee is acting up so it will be in my future.

Then I developed Type II diabetes at age 55, which totally shocked me into realizing I needed to take better care of my health. I didn't know there was any diabetes in my family genetics. My general practitioner put me on two types of oral diabetes medications, which caused me to put on another 20 pounds because they caused my blood sugar to drop and I had to eat more to get my blood sugar back up. It was a vicious cycle. After my persistence and complaining about my weight, he referred me to an endocrinologist who made all the difference in the world. He immediately took me off of one of the two medications and put me on metformin. I met with a nutritionist and starting losing the weight. and was able to get off the second diabetes medication. I went from 220 when I first met with him to my current weight of 165. I still need to lose 25 pounds to be of normal weight for my age. My endocrinologist told me that obesity is a disease. There are lots of obese people around but only those who are genetically predisposed will get DM Type II. He also told me that I was insulin resistant and when you are insulin resistant your body stores extra glucose, that it cannot use efficiently, as fat. Having diabetes definitely makes losing weight more challenging. I exercise 30 - 60 most every day. I have been tracking my diet and exercising for about two years now and it will be for the rest of my life.

I keep preaching now to my adult children and grandchildren to watch their diet because after age 40 it will only get more difficult to keep the weight down. They are all still of normal weight. So you young people on this site should take notice and listen to us older folks who have learned the hard way.

I think weight issues are somewhat genetic but my husband is 6 foot 1 inch and weighs 165. He does have a high metabolism but he also is well disciplined. If he gains 3 or 4 pounds he cuts back until he loses those. All he has to do is cut out a bedtime treat for a few nights. I have to do a lot more to lose that much so it's not fair but life is not fair.
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    so true...
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    i really dont see the point of arguing this.......................... my god people you're like a bunch of blood thirsty piranhas
  • Mission2Me
    Mission2Me Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    i really dont see the point of arguing this.......................... my god people you're like a bunch of blood thirsty piranhas

rofl love it!
  • toothfairybuttkicker
    toothfairybuttkicker Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ok I've not read all the thread. Some good arguments but here is mine

I am FAT, BUT theyre are a few reason

1. My parents - both larger then average. I'm not blaming nature here but nurture. I was brought up on convenience foods and take always. Unfortunatly for me it's a habit that I can't get out of easily

2. Psychology - emotional eating another hard habit to break. I can't go into my kitchen without looking in the fridge or pantry

3. I LOVE food- and I over eat because I want to have everything available. If I really like something I find it impossible to stop until I feel sick. I think it's a throw back to childhood but who knows

Ultimately I am to blame for my size. My dad still now is a "feeder" but he doesn't put the chocolate and cake in my mouth I DO therefore i have to make the decision to stop
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    When I was bigger, I was desperate for anything to blame but myself. I felt guilty about what I'd done to my once athletic beautiful figure. It look I ate my former self.

The people who are most successful on here are the ones who take ownership of what they've done to themselves and move forward it to correct it. Those that blame their medical problems or metabolism for their body size/weight often end up back after a few months having regained much of their weight or quit. They are also the ones prone to the fad diets that wreak havoc on their bodies long-term.

Agreed! It wasn't until I owned up to the fact I had done this to myself and made amends to move forward and resolve it that I got to where I am now....the best shape of my adult life even though I'm still working on my last 40 lbs!
  • amcharanek
    Options
    tumblrlj9gojw6yv1qigqmw.jpg
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I think most people I've met on this site are very matter of fact and know their bad eating and exercise habits are what have caused them to become overweight. That said, I do see the 'you're skinny, you can't possibly know how hard this is' argument thrown around on here a lot, which really pisses me off. I've never had 100lbs to lose and have never professed to, but the assumption that someone who is thinner doesn't have to work hard annoys me. Not only because I'm sure there are a lot of people who were obese and are now reaching their goals, but also because I know how hard I work and don't want anyone telling me otherwise. We all have different goals, but we're all in this together and I think undermining someone's efforts because they're bigger is just as bad as undermining someone for being smaller.

That said, I have met a lot of people outside of MFP who are very quick to come out with excuses as to why they are the size they are. 'It's my metabolism.', 'It's my thyroid.', 'My whole family is big.', 'I don't have time to work out or cook healthy food.' etc etc. I don't have much weight to lose, but I've got to the point where people have started to notice I have. Most people are very supportive and complimentary, but there are one or two people who, when they ask how I've done it, seem to immediately switch off when I tell them I just ate better and got a gym membership. It's like they don't want to hear that it's a hard graft and want me to tell them about some magic pill or fad diet that makes you lose 10lbs in a week.

This last line is so spot on - I have friends who keep coming back to me asking for advice and act all interested but really they are waiting for that magic secret that I'm going to spill that will mean they can get fit in a week.

No, sorry, it is a long hard road - just like it was a long road that led you there it will be a long one back. But it's worth it...

Completely agreed! My friends/family are absolutely amazed at my 104 lb loss/transformation and are geniunely interested until.....I get to the part where you have to make concious choices of what and how much you put in your body and the fact that exercise plays a role in it as well. They totally tune out at that point and want to know what else I did as in what magic pill or shake did I take? Um none. So they still complain that they are overweight and they are still looking for that easy, instant gratification as I continue to better myself and have NEVER been prouder and more confident of myself!
  • 2kidsandadonut
    2kidsandadonut Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I blame myself for my weight gain no one force oreos into my mouth. However, at the time I gained weight I was doing what was 'right' I was put on bed rest because of my two pregnancies and the complications. (Gestational Diabetes, Toxemia, and Pre-eclampsia) I wasn't overweight before and I was very active I was and always will be a large girl (at 5'5" and 135lbs I was a size 14) However, I didn't gain major weight until bed-rest where I wasn't allowed to get out of bed except to use the bathroom. (I had problems with placental abruption) I had to keep eating for the health of my child but after eight months (4 months per child) I don't care who you are you are gonna gain weight. I then had to have major reconstructive surgery. I don't blame anyone but myself for weight gain BUT sometimes there are other factors and it isn't right to judge someone just because they are fat.
  • clairedelune77
    clairedelune77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ok, I am a person who made excuses and tried to convince a dr that there was something broken in me... I was excercising and active,but obese... (I have walk/jogged 3 1/2 marathons.. and had training logs to prove...)

However, my issue is sugar and carbs and it took me a while to realize that I have to eat more protein and veggies and ALOT less sugar in order for ME to lose weight and be healthy.

In my 20's I lost 60 pounds on low-fat high carb eating, but was working out 3 times a day,,, (cardio and weight training etc)...

Now I am 40 and know for sure that for me to be "in shape" I have to watch my sugars and carbs... that is just what I have to do in order to make this work...

So maybe it is more than just being in denial - maybe it is finding what combination of diet/excercise works for each individual.

this is hard work - this is not easy and it takes focus - lots and lots of focus...
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I'm fat; I know this, I accept this, and when people try to tell me I'm not I'm quick to correct them.

I don't understand the issue with the word, honestly - if the shoe fits, you know?

I also accept that it's through my own laziness and love of food that I'm the way I am now, and that I'm responsible for fixing what I've done so far. Honestly, I tend to offend people when I tell them that things like LapBands and gastric bypass are cheating, but they are - you did the work to do the damage to your body, you need to get up and do the work to repair it.
  • jpinge
    jpinge Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    well....when I weighed 286....I was fat....no if ands or butts lol....now 100 pounds later I realize just how fat I really was and just how I got there. Had nothing to do with metabolism or babies or anything....it was because I ate too much....plain and simple. Thankfully I am working on that every single day...my weight continues to decrease but my knowledge is certainly increasing:)
  • sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    The US has the second highest level of disbelief in science when compared to 32 European countries and Japan. The only country with a higher level of disbelief in that study was Turkey. When you have a population with thoughts like that, it's hard to have a serious conversation using generally accepted facts as the basis for your argument.

This!!!
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    In the group of fit people I tend to notice the focus is about exercising appropriately and eating to fuel the exercise you're doing to get the results you want. Very few of my mfp's who are fit and focused break it down simply to calories in < calories out and understand that there's more than simple math to it. What's your TDEE? are you cutting or bulking? are you training for a comp or a race? For most it's more than just basic math but definitely most have a goal outside of simply "I'm doing this because I want to lose weight." It's more "I'm doing this because I want to run further/lift more/work harder/etc."
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    Having being on MFP for a few years more recently I have started to look at the forums.

I have a genuine observation and wonder if people agree with me and what their opinion is. I am not meaning to be in any way offensive.

I notice that fitter / correct weight people seem to have a more no-nonsense approach - to get fit you exercise , lots , and eat less because you are overweight because you eat too much.

Overweight people seem to be constantly in denial and bringing up health and metabolism issues that are, whilst unfortunate in those they affect, rarely the true reason that is eating too much. The word 'fat' on here almost seems to be a massive insult

I saw a program on TV where someone had to have a leg cut off from health complications that were simply overweight - but there was no addressing of the weight problem just the acceptance of the situation -- if I had a leg cut off because of weight I would glue my mouth shut!!

So it always gets me wondering is the denial and political correctness that prevent appropriate honesty a major cause of the increasing trend of obesity??

Interestingly enough I'm English and find American posters on here (in a country with more obesity) very quickly flare up at the use of the fat word. As do the larger posters (I admit I am judging this from profile pictures) you wont see a toned person defending metabolism as a major cause of obesity - even if they once weighed 20 stone

Yes to everything you said. I'm not even reading all the replies, I don't care, what it amounts to 99.9% of the time in the weight loss/maintenance aspect of your life is DISCIPLINE. Learn to just say no. You either want it or you don't. I want it, and my own stupid habits are NOT what is going to hold me back. I am fit, trim, and no-nonsense and one of my mantras is "Better to make good choices than to make excuses."

Becca