Attitudes of people with different levels of fitness and wei

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

It is harder to say yes, I'm really thin because I'm lucky and have a crazy fast metabolism.

Really? I know quite a few people who are thin and are quite happy to admit to having been blessed with a fast metabolism.

What some overweight people don't acknowledge, however, is the large number of thin people who weren't born lucky but who have managed to maintain their weight through education, effort, and sacrifice.
  • zestyzaftig
    zestyzaftig Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was underweight all my life until six years ago.

You know how people blame being overweight on a "glandular problem", or a "thyroid issue" that affects their metabolism? I used to think it was all crock.

Then I got thyroid cancer. THREE TIMES. The treatment caused massive weight gain in a very short amount of time.

I didn't get to 195 pounds by shoveling donuts and Big Macs into my face, period. Even when I was at my sickest, puking my brains out, pooping blood, I still went to work, walked the dog, cooked from scratch every day. Yet people had little sympathy, instead pointing out "Wow, you've put on weight!" At that point, I didn't want pity or sympathy for ME, I wanted to get through people's judgmental, thick heads that metabolic issues from hormonal imbalances are very real, and it could happen to them, their sister, their favorite coworker.

Never once have I been in denial about my size, though. I know I'm a big girl. It took a couple of years, but I actually started liking being a size 14- but I'm extraordinarily lucky that my proportions stayed the same as when I was skinny (perhaps a by-product of medically legitimate weight gain, as opposed to overeating?) And I had to increase my calories in order to sustain the weight that was gained; as I've said for years to those who asked when I was going to lose the cancer weight, "Food isn't what made me fat, but my love of food is what's keeping it on!"

Great, now I'm really fracking angry.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Completly agree with the OP.

I was obese, now I'm overweight AKA.....fat. However I have no denial about my size or weight or reasons for being here. I hate excuses and the low metabolism statement thrown around so commonly on MFP.

The following is a copy and paste from my profile...

' I hate people who claim they can't lose weight because of half arsed excuses.
    I have Grave's disease....I also have PCOS. I'm determined to prove to the nasayers that losing weight can be done.
    I did Weight Watchers for 2 weeks. Stupiest idea ever. I found MFP on 22nd March 2012. Joining = best idea ever.
    I eat my TDEE -20%, I eat as clean as my will power lets me.
    I'm currently doing New Rules of Lifting for Women 3 times a week, I also do C25k twice a week.
    I am the proof this **** works. Eat. Drink water. Move your *kitten* and the weight will come off no matter what condition, disease or illness you have.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I know this is an older post but one thing I'd say as an obese person...

I've never known what it is like to be thin, so I've never known 'normal'. Most of my life was spent at 300 lbs and above. The only reason I felt like I got below 300 lbs was because of regulating my hormones with BC pills. Who knows if that is true or not? It just was the only time I could lose weight and keep it off is when I finally went on BC.

I also don't know about other obese people but its hard especially if you've been trying to lose weight in one form or another all your life with little success. I was eating 1200 calories/day with exercise at 200 lbs and not losing weight and increasing calories caused increased weight. It was tough and it was hard to maintain. I settled in at 220 lbs and I was pretty happy there but then other things happened (not metabolism, not whatever) and I gained weight over 2 years.

There has also been some research done on the formerly morbidly obese and from what I read, it seems that our bodies do fight us more to get us back to where we were and to fight it, we need a lower intake level than someone who has never been morbidly obese. That doesn't mean it is impossible, it just means it may be a bit harder for those of us. Anyway, I'd love to get back to 220 and I'd love to get below. I'm diligently counting my calories and plan to see where that will take me. I plan to tweak as best I can but I'm also willing to accept a higher goal weight than others would be willing to accept.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I was underweight all my life until six years ago.

You know how people blame being overweight on a "glandular problem", or a "thyroid issue" that affects their metabolism? I used to think it was all crock.

Then I got thyroid cancer. THREE TIMES. The treatment caused massive weight gain in a very short amount of time.

Your situation is fairly unusual and not what the OP had in mind. The obesity epidemic is largely due to people eating too much of the wrong foods, many of which have been made desirable because they're tasty, cheap, and accessible.

I agree that people should not make assumptions about why other people are overweight or obese. But nearly all of us have been around folks who do not have a medical problem, who do not exercise, and who pile on the food with abandon.
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Well, I do have a medically diagnosed depression and an under-active thyroid, but they are not the bulk of my issue (although a contributing factor). I'm not in denial that I'm fat. I got that way myself. I have an at-home teaching job and a writing gig that requires long hours at the computer; Frankly, I didn't exercise enough throughout undergraduate and graduate school; I didn't exercise enough while working. My food choices are/were less than stellar simply because my dad stocks the house with junk food, so yes, "you are what you eat." I know what I (fat), and I know what I need to do (exercise/eat well). So you need to consider, too, that not everyone in the fat category is in denial.

Please don't be offended by the last sentence. I'm just sayin' that not everyone can be placed in a tidy, little box.
  • zestyzaftig
    zestyzaftig Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Your situation is fairly unusual and not what the OP had in mind. The obesity epidemic is largely due to people eating too much of the wrong foods, many of which have been made desirable because they're tasty, cheap, and accessible.

I agree that people should not make assumptions about why other people are overweight or obese. But nearly all of us have been around folks who do not have a medical problem, who do not exercise, and who pile on the food with abandon.

I know my situation is exactly what he was pointing out was NOT the norm (in fact, the OP did a great job of using words like "most" and "probably", not "all" and "always"), and I'm a bit surprised at myself for having such an emotional overreaction. But it's really easy to jump on the "fat people aren't honest/disciplined/whatever" bandwagon, because I was once on it. I just wanted to provide my story to counter the onslaught of negative criticism.