Why Strength Training is better

Options

Replies

• irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I'd rather look like Misha Tate on the right, or Ronda Rousy on the left

Miesha_Tate_and_Ronda_Rousey_Strikeforce_3_10032722.jpg

I'm certain they Strength AND endurance are both on their daily agenda!
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Im going to cut back on cardio and try it
    lemon does it again! Great post
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    to me, it is a combo thing, you should do both, BUT I DO LIKE CARDIO BETTER!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Why does it seem that these posts are always an either/or situation? Here's an idea - do both. Both strength training and cardio have things going for them. So, don't just lift weights and don't just run.
    I do days of lifting, days of running and days where I do running mixed in with other things like pushups, situps, lunges and crunches.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Personally, I adore running, love cycling and am a fair swimmer. Cardio - GOOD FOR THE HEART PEOPLE!!!

Sometimes I go to the gym with my husband and do weights - this is after a cardio warm-up.

For some reason, cardio seems to be getting a bad deal on MFP lately, all I can say is, it is not much good me being low bodyfat but unable to run for the bus without collapsing.

Let's get things into perspective here and rebalance.
  • watboy
    Options
    Me love cardio
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Seriously do people even READ the original post? Because all these stupid people coming in crying 'I love cardio' have clearly not. The article isn't talking about health. It isn't talking about endurance. It's talking about FAT LOSS. The best exercise for fat loss is doing weights. FAT LOSS.

I LOVE my cardio. It helps me keep my mood in check, the feeling after running for 20 minutes has me high. I walk for 30 minutes every day to get my cardio in. If I'm at the gym I do high intensity cardio for 30 minutes (I'm not someone who generally does more than that. I've got better things to do with my time then spend hours at the gym) I love cardio.

BUT I lift heavy. I'm focusing on that because it's the best thing to give me the body I want. One that is not squishy. One that looks 'toned' My first 25kg I lost doing only cardio (and that was pretty much the walk every day and playing sport) Once I started lifting and lifting heavy my body shape has changed. I have a waist emerging. I HAVE A NECK! It's glorious. I can't wait to lose more and see what I look like. And to get the best results my main focus is on lifting heavy thing and putting them down again.

In conclusion, if you're going to comment on a post READ THE ****ING POST!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Conditioner is better, it leaves the hair silky and smooth!

"I just want to make hair silky-smooth"
    Zohan.jpg
    :laugh:
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

I think they are both hot! It would really really cool if their boobs were touching in that pic though, then it would be epically hot. :happy:
  • watboy
    Options
    I started to cut cardio tonight and want to see how I progress over the next few weeks. I've been doing a combo for so long I really want to see if my bodyfat goes down. I'm at 27 right now.

I think they are both hot! It would really really cool if their boobs were touching in that pic though, then it would be epically hot. :happy:
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Seriously do people even READ the original post? Because all these stupid people coming in crying 'I love cardio' have clearly not. The article isn't talking about health. It isn't talking about endurance. It's talking about FAT LOSS. The best exercise for fat loss is doing weights. FAT LOSS.

I LOVE my cardio. It helps me keep my mood in check, the feeling after running for 20 minutes has me high. I walk for 30 minutes every day to get my cardio in. If I'm at the gym I do high intensity cardio for 30 minutes (I'm not someone who generally does more than that. I've got better things to do with my time then spend hours at the gym) I love cardio.

BUT I lift heavy. I'm focusing on that because it's the best thing to give me the body I want. One that is not squishy. One that looks 'toned' My first 25kg I lost doing only cardio (and that was pretty much the walk every day and playing sport) Once I started lifting and lifting heavy my body shape has changed. I have a waist emerging. I HAVE A NECK! It's glorious. I can't wait to lose more and see what I look like. And to get the best results my main focus is on lifting heavy thing and putting them down again.

It's not nice to call people stupid you know
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    When personal trainers or exercise enthusiasts focus on weight loss, they are doing a grave disservice to their clients and/or themselves.
    NOT this Personal Trainer. Cardio is only a supplement to my approach which is, lift heavy and lift intense.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

I think I love you. I mean...not love you love you...but definitely love you.

:D
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Great Read! It's unfortunate that half the people replying can't do that very thing ...... READ! :laugh:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Oh...this is a good example of what hardcore strength training...with only a nod to cardio, will do for body recomposition!! Look at her belly...with almost no weight loss!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/496945-6-months-into-strenght-training
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    When personal trainers or exercise enthusiasts focus on weight loss, they are doing a grave disservice to their clients and/or themselves.
    NOT this Personal Trainer. Cardio is only a supplement to my approach which is, lift heavy and lift intense.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Agreed. Not this one either. If you get a PT that just sits or stands next to you on a treadmill and watches you walk or run for an extended period of time is not a real PT that is some one who just doesnt give a damn. I have seen this many times watching so called PTs even texting on their cell phone on the clients time that they paid for while the client is walking on the treadmill for 30 min or an extended period of time. I was like that guy needs to be FIRED!
  • Lozze
    Options

If people come into a post and sprout off with their wisdom and prove that they haven't read the the linked article or even the OP then yes they are stupid.
  • HorrorChix89
    Options

If people come into a post and sprout off with their wisdom and prove that they haven't read the the linked article or even the OP then yes they are stupid.
    You're not a nice person, lady
  • Lozze
    Options

Oh well. Sorry we don't see eye to eye.
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    im getting some dumbells this weekend

I do EASA2 which uses a resistance band and cardio but im swapping my resistance band to dumbells for more weight so its a bit of both I do in every workout but right now its only toning as the resistance band isnt that strong but moving to 4kg weights (8.8lb?) will be a good jump in difficulty
  • HorrorChix89
    Options

Oh well. Sorry we don't see eye to eye.
    Name calling isn't nice, lady.