How much are you deadlifting?

Options

Replies

• ednabnana
    ednabnana Posts: 304
    Options
    5'2"
    115 lbs
    Rep: Between 8-10 for 3 sets then last set I'm totally gassed, I stop at 5-6 Rep.
    Free weights, 2 plates of 45 + bar but I only put 90lbs on my log
    Standing DL of course

P.S. Got a horrible man flu last week so taking it easy for now.

Edited to add: I started with dumbbells 15 lbs per arm.

if it's a standard bar that's another 45 lbs so you're deadlifting 135 lbs. don't sell yourself short

Thank you. That is nuts because that is way heavier than my body weight.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    if we are doing a lot of reps my weight is usually only 45#, but if we are going for failure i can do 65#. i'm still working on upping my weight.

*weight includes 15# bar
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    150 for 5 reps today!
  • sportsforfun
    Options
    6'4, 200 lbs - 1 Rep Max is 370
    Working sets are @ 315 for 6 reps
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    5'2, 169 lbs and I did 115 lbs on Wednesday.

I'm really trying to work on my form to make sure I'm doing it right. I'm not sure what my max would be. I just started SL 5x5 this week.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Male, 34, 5'11" about 212lbs currently, deadlift is 325.

Best deadlift ever was many years ago in high school, 5 rep max was 650
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    ok here's another question...do you drop the bar when you lift all that weight, or do you squat back down? i squat back down and set the bar down gently lol
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    ok here's another question...do you drop the bar when you lift all that weight, or do you squat back down? i squat back down and set the bar down gently lol

I always squat and set the weight down, only time I drop or throw weights is when doing cleans and the weight is too much or there is an issue with my form so that I don't injure myself.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I squat back down ...i dont like dumping the weight...i dont know why, it just seems wrong. lol
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    5'8" 135 lbs. currently doing 230 lbs for 8 reps, around 290 1RM.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Never drop the bar, the downward portion is half of the movement!

Edit: Also, you don't really squat, you bend over and put it back down. http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html
    if you need an illustration. Good form is REALLY important when lifting heavy with deadlifts and squats... you can mess up your back or knees pretty badly with bad form.
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I squat back down and set it down as gently as possible. I'd probably get kicked out of the gym for dropping it - we don't have bumper plates. :(
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

once in a blue i drop it for the last few inches of the very last rep. this is when i've gone all out and it's a choice between that or injuring myself.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    1.84M at 79.4kg 1RM 190kg (6 months ago)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

I squat all the way back down and let it go. So far, there's been no reason for me to drop it. And I've yet to feel the urge to drop all that weight. Some people get off on dropping and throwing weight... I don't get it. I mean, you're bad *kitten* enough that you lifted it to full range of motion or whatever... no need to prove yourself anymore by throwing and bouncing it. But, to each his/her own.

If you drop it because you have to, that's entirely different.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I'm 5'4" 135 lbs and I'm doing 145x3x5. I just made the switch a couple weeks ago from SLDL. I lower the weights but they probably still clang a bit when they hit the floor. :happy:
  • JeepBrah
    JeepBrah Posts: 150
    Options
    I do 5x5 till 210 kilo - 462 lbs
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    6'0" 204lbs

Traditional DL: 350lbs
    Sumo DL: 335lbs
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Just tried sumo style deadlifts last night. Love these way harder than conventional ones! Getting used to the movement, so 5 sets of 125x6 @ 142 lbs body weight.

It's a good idea to mix these up. Sumo DL's are harder off the floor but easier to lock-out and traditional DL's are easier off the floor but harder to lock out.
  • scotty8666
    Options
    Male/ 5'4" 127 lbs/ 1rm 345lbs