How much are you deadlifting?

Options

Replies

• GordonWayneWatts
    GordonWayneWatts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    my max i completed at the beginning of the year at 17! I'm 65kg and am 171cm tall. The dead lift was part of a routine to get me into rowing season. i would lift 115kg which is equivalent to 253lb with a repetition of 10 times - not a bad effort.
    all of this was completed with chalk and with a professional PT

That is pretty good, emhart4! You didn't, however, state your gender (so I looked on your profile where you say you are female).

That is good in any case, as this implies a 338-lb 1-rep-max. (But, if you are as tall as you say, getting the weight started might be hard -if not impossible -- which I recall to be true when I could lift 200-lbs for 10 reps when I began lifting, but only had a 225-lb 1-rep-max. I am 5'9" only about 1.5 or 2" taller than you, and only a tiny bit lighter, at 120-lbs, or about 54.4-kg.)

One thing, however, troubles me: You say on your profile page that your goals is to lose 53-lbs, but 143-lbs minus 53-lbs is a rail-thin 90-lbs: Even when you use the cubic 3-d correction for comparison of persons with a different height(*), I still would weigh 111.46-lbs if I were *your* height and the same proportions. -- Yet, you want to get down to 90-lbs!?

While I am not unhealthy at 120-lbs, many people consider me VERY skinny for someone as tall as 5'9" (I am taller when I measure with shoes and socks on) -- and I would certainly be unhealthy if I somehow got down to the equiv. of 90-lbs for your height: 1.0766141683972936342086363955441 times 90-lbls is about 96.895-lbs --a weight that I would not want to weigh, as it would be too light -and too unhealthy.

(*) The cubic method is as follows: Imagine a Rubik's cube that is 1" on all sides and another that is 2" on all sides: The 2nd one would be EIGHT (8) times as massive (and as heavy), since height, weight, and length are all 3 considered --it has 8 cubes, hello? -- So, taking the ratio of 171cm (which is about 67.3") to my height (69") yields 0.97569 or so... Then cubing that yields 0.9288 or so: And when you divide 90-lbs into 0.9288, you get about 96.9-lbs, the weight I just calculated above!

My good friend, Nia Shanks, a World Record holder in powerlifting, sent this out in her last news letter (edited for length) >>

"If you want to experience for yourself how simple and easy eating to build a better body can be, you only need to do four things.

1) Primarily eat real food . I like the 90/10 rule - eat real food 90-ish percent of the time, and the other 10 percent is up to you as far as what, and when, you eat. Personally I like to eat my favorite not-so-healthy-but-super-tasty-foods whenever I truly crave them or for a special get together. (Sunday dinners fit the bill perfectly). And when you do eat your 10%, make sure you do so guilt free .

And, please, keep in mind that eating "perfectly" for a single day won't cause you to wake up drastically leaner the next morning. Likewise, eating some not-so-healthy food won't cause you to wake up with more body fat the next morning either. Keep things in perspective and enjoy your favorite treats and foods totally guilt free.

2) Eat when you're hungry . Yes, it really is that simple. Do you wake up hungry? Eat breakfast. Are you not the least bit hungry in the morning? Don't eat. You don't need to follow some rigid schedule and eat because it's "time". Listen to your body and do what fits your lifestyle and preferences.

3) Eat until satisfied, but not stuffed . You should be satisfied but not stuffed and overly full after eating. The great thing about combining numbers 2 and 3 is that you won't HAVE to eat until you're stuffed because you'll know you can eat again whenever you're physically hungry. That alone is very freeing.

4) Listen to your body after you eat . Most people don't talk about this, but it's important. Pay attention to how certain foods make you feel afterward. I suggest limiting foods that make you feel not-so-good and focus more on the foods that make you feel great (you know, higher energy, no gas or bloating, etc).

Don't be mislead - oftentimes people read those guidelines and think, "There's no way that can work; it's too easy."

It can. And it does."
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    Male
    5 7"
    15stone

80kg/173lb 3x5

Been at it just over 8 weeks, plan on hitting triple digits by the end of the year. Once I learnt the over under grip, it changed my life.

Do you mean to say that you, yourself weigh 15 stone (210-lbs / 95.25-kg), and are only 5'7" (170-cm), and can only deadlift 80-kg for 3 sets of 5? (Or, rather, are you saying that this is a normal workout for you?)

Based on your height, weight, gender, and apparent age, cingle87, I would guess that you should be able to lift this weight for a far larger number of sets/reps --or, conversely, lift at least a little bit more weight for a 3x5 workout.

Your shorter-than-usual height is generally an advantage in deadlifting, since you don't lift from as much of a deficit as others -all things being equal. (All things might not be equal, since, if you have short arms, then this increases the ROM (range of motion) of the lift.

The guy just started 8 weeks ago. Why are you being a *kitten*?

I am NOT trying to offend, insult, or affront any person because of how much he or she can (or can not) lift.

Go back and re-read my ALL my posts (this one included) and notice that I NEVER make fun of or insult ANY lifter (for they are persons created in the image of God -and persons with feelings: All life is important -even animals, for crying out loud.)

Notice also that I am asking questions, providing helpful information, and generally trying to trouble-shoot his situation -in order to help him -- and another thing, I do not recall him having said how long he had been working out --that is precicely why I asked. ( I admit that I can't read every post in every thread.)

Does this clarify my position?

Also, why resort to name-calling -- why not do like I did -and simply ask the other poster a direct question and not ASSUME things -- spell 'assume' -- "A-S-S-U-M-E" -- when *you* assume you make an 'A-S-S' of 'U' and 'ME.'

Edit Addendum: Strike that last comment about the "a-s-s": That was not a respectful response - but I will leave it (and not edit out my mistake), since I did since I did say it. I admit when I make a mistake; I am human after all.

Thanks in advance for any clarification on your position.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Female, 5'8" @160lb. No idea what my max is. Working set of 1x5 (StrongLifts 5x5) hit 160lb tonight. Started the program in June, but have missed some weeks. Proud to have hit my body weight. Aiming for 1.5 times weight in the long run.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    Female, 5'8" @160lb. No idea what my max is. Working set of 1x5 (StrongLifts 5x5) hit 160lb tonight. Started the program in June, but have missed some weeks. Proud to have hit my body weight. Aiming for 1.5 times weight in the long run.

If your 5-rep max is 160, and that's all you can do, brandiuntz, then your 1-rep max is about 183-lbs; however, you did not state whether this was your max weight for 5 reps, or rather a standard working set -- I used a 1RM calculator (to estimate your deadlift max), but these are not always accurate (especially for dead lifts, as getting the weight moving, due to leverage, can be difficult in some cases for heavy weights).
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Male
    5 7"
    15stone

80kg/173lb 3x5

Been at it just over 8 weeks, plan on hitting triple digits by the end of the year. Once I learnt the over under grip, it changed my life.

Do you mean to say that you, yourself weigh 15 stone (210-lbs / 95.25-kg), and are only 5'7" (170-cm), and can only deadlift 80-kg for 3 sets of 5? (Or, rather, are you saying that this is a normal workout for you?)

Based on your height, weight, gender, and apparent age, cingle87, I would guess that you should be able to lift this weight for a far larger number of sets/reps --or, conversely, lift at least a little bit more weight for a 3x5 workout.

Your shorter-than-usual height is generally an advantage in deadlifting, since you don't lift from as much of a deficit as others -all things being equal. (All things might not be equal, since, if you have short arms, then this increases the ROM (range of motion) of the lift.

I am NOT trying to offend, insult, or affront any person because of how much he or she can (or can not) lift.

Go back and re-read my ALL my posts (this one included) and notice that I NEVER make fun of or insult ANY lifter (for they are persons created in the image of God -and persons with feelings: All life is important -even animals, for crying out loud.)

Notice also that I am asking questions, providing helpful information, and generally trying to trouble-shoot his situation -in order to help him -- and another thing, I do not recall him having said how long he had been working out --that is precicely why I asked. ( I admit that I can't read every post in every thread.)

Also, why resort to name-calling -- why not do like I did -and simply ask the other poster a direct question and not ASSUME things -- spell 'assume' -- "A-S-S-U-M-E" -- when *you* assume you make an 'A-S-S' of 'U' and 'ME.'

So why are you coming down on him when he said he's basically a beginner? You pretty much said he's not 'doing it right" when you have no clue of his progression.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    @GordonWayne...

I'm sorry but why are you critiquing everyone in this thread? This isn't your thread. Why don't you start your own group or thread offering advice?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    @GordonWayne...

I'm sorry but why are you critiquing everyone in this thread? This isn't your thread. Why don't you start your own group or thread offering advice?

My thoughts exactly.
  • bobbystrongarm
    Options
    female 5'5 205 lbs - my current deadlift (3 sets of 10) is 140#, i feel like my back and hamstrings can go much heavier but my grip gives out :sad:

hopefully my grip and forearms will catch up soon

Have you tried a mixed grip? I can't lift more than 130 or so without it.
    yeah that helps a bit.

it's the difference between doing 1 rep and having to reset my grip (regular grip) and doing 3 then having to reset. i know i know.. i'm being picky, but i want to be able to bump the weight on the ground and go to the next rep. having to reset so much just lengthens my workout, which means there's more time i have to wait to have my delicious post lift meal :laugh: those xtra seconds add up!

i also need to try a hook grip. the last time i tried i didnt get the hang of it and bar still rolled

oh and my gym doesnt allow chalk

Your grip will eventually catch up. However, there are a few things you can do to really improve your grip. Farmers walks are absolutely fantastic for blasting your forearms and increasing grip strength. You can also train with these slip on grips call "fat grips". The are hard rubber and slip over the bar. They force your hand into a wider grip. This absolutely murders your forearms. Or you can be damn right sadistic and use a fat grip for farmers walks. A lot of gyms that cater to Olympic style lifting, strength training, and roid monkeys will actually have sets of dumbbells that have fat grips.

A lot of guys can build their dead lift weight pretty high quickly. I've had a few friends who had smaller builds and wrists when starting out that eventually ran into plateaus because of grip strength. Farmers walks are invaluable for fixing this. Just make sure to do them at the end of the week. IMO no lift is more painful than the recovery from really hard forearm workout.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    5 6"
    154lb
    Female

Working set 1RM - 315lb with lockout, 325lb just shy of lockout due to grip slip (:grumble: ).
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Who is this new guy?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Who is this new guy?

No idea, but I really hope he does not decide to give me his 'feedback'.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    5 6"
    154lb
    Female

Working set 1RM - 315lb with lockout, 325lb just shy of lockout due to grip slip (:grumble: ).

She is my idol. :drinker:

I am weak. :frown: About 130 lbs and I can do 3 sets of 8 at 105 lbs. have never tried to see how much I can do for 1 rep.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    5 6"
    154lb
    Female

I am weak. :frown: About 130 lbs and I can do 3 sets of 8 at 105 lbs. have never tried to see how much I can do for 1 rep.

Don't try at this pointunless you know what you're doing, testing 1RM pulls is a good way to hurt yourself. There's online 1RM calculators that will calculate it for you with your current reps and weight.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Who is this new guy?

No idea, but I really hope he does not decide to give me his 'feedback'.

But....but.....but.... He says he's here to help
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    5 6"
    154lb
    Female

Don't try at this pointunless you know what you're doing, testing 1RM pulls is a good way to hurt yourself. There's online 1RM calculators that will calculate it for you with your current reps and weight.

I won't try ! But thank you and you are cool. :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    http://youtu.be/E9_Vbm-eTbc

220kgx5 at 85kg BW last week

Sick....
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    Male
    5 7"
    15stone

80kg/173lb 3x5

So why are you coming down on him when he said he's basically a beginner? You pretty much said he's not 'doing it right" when you have no clue of his progression.

Where was I "coming down" (or saying he was wrong) in my post??

Now, I did, on the other hand, come down quite hard on taso42, the bloke who claimed I was a *kitten*; however, in case you missed it, I went back and redacted the most offensive part of my reply to him, and apologised.

On my honour, I did this before I saw your post.

However, it is with good reason that I came down on him, for he did the self-same thing you did: You criticised me without justification: as it stands, I never, once, said he's not 'doing it right', and rightly so: Indeed I don't know whether or not he was at all. (Even if I had -which I didn't -that would not be out of order, if in fact he was.)

Where, I ask, did I say anything offensive, or where did I say anywhere that this other chap was doing something wrong?

Thanks, in advance, for your clarification here, Joy_Joy. :)
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    165cm tall

99kg / 218lb

Female

PB = 110kg / 242lbs
  • smnmltn
    smnmltn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Female/5'9"/195 lbs Couldn't stand for more than 15 minutes this time last year. DL Personal Best last night: 182 lbs
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Male
    5 7"
    15stone

80kg/173lb 3x5

Where was I "coming down" (or saying he was wrong) in my post.

Now, I did, on the other hand, come down quite hard on taso42, the bloke who claimed I was a *kitten*; however, in case you missed it, I went back and redacted the most offensive part of my reply to him, and apologised.

On my honour, I did this before I saw your post.

However, it is with good reason that I came down on him, for he did the self-same thing you did: You criticised me without justification: as it stands, I never, once, said he's not 'doing it right', and rightly so: Indeed I don't know whether or not he was at all. (Even if I had -which I didn't -that would not be out of order, if in fact he was.)

Where, I ask, did I say anything offensive, or where did I say anywhere that this other chap was doing something wrong?

Thanks, in advance, for your clarification here, Joy_Joy. :)

You said this:

You want to talk about assumptions? You have no clue what he started out at, his rate of progression or his program, yet you are telling him that he should be lifting more - weight, set, and rep wise.

That's coming down on the guy who just started by basically saying he should be stronger than he is.