How much are you deadlifting?

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm quite certain we're all here for the same things

Cheesecake recipes and vids of chicks deadlifting?

Wait. I thought it was cat gifs and vids of chicks squatting?
  • GordonWayneWatts
    GordonWayneWatts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Who is this new guy?

No idea, but I really hope he does not decide to give me his 'feedback'.

Why don't you ask the 'new guy' (instead of talking in the 3rd person, disrespectfully)

Is this board about arguments -or, rather, about exchanging ideas on exercise & health: I thought this board was about exercise, and not drama.

Why all the hate and discontent: I studied my art to help others and myself -not to have nuts that don;t know me argue about non-issues.

If I get along fine with all my mates in my gyms, and other places, what exactly is your problem.

And, what precisely did I say that offends you -- if you can't give me a specific answer, then clearly, you are just looking to cause strife and contention.

How rude....I was talking to DavPul...

Eh? You were talking *about* me, don't you realise ... behind my back, so to speak.

A bit off-centre, don't you think?

I'm not saying it was wrong of you to talk about me -- but if that's all you do... LOL Have some honour - just ask the poster, himself!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Male, 5' 11" 228 as of this morning. No idea what my max is yet, but my current workout weight is 235.

The extra-curricular activities on this thread sound like fun, I guess I should have gotten here sooner. Carry on.

Rigger
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Female, 5'6", 165 lbs. 95kg x 3 is where I'm at right now. I think that's around 210 lbs.

I started with just the bar (20kg/45 lbs) last November.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    A. Female, 5'3", 148, max deadlift was 150 5x5. And then, about an hour and a huge meal later, passed out for four hours. Good day.

B. What the hell is going on here?

I'm the centre of all this disturbance, apparently -- with a a few (but vocal) critics in the peanut gallary.

Probably their criticism is 2-fold:

#1- I am a bit talkative; #2- I am "the new guy" on the block. (Other than that, however, your guess is as good as mine; the few complaints that I insulted anyone were unfounded --or at the very least, I certainly didn't *try* to insult anyone for how much they can lift --or can't lift --when I offered suggestions/advice.) :smile:

Well it's not really an advice thread, it's a share thread. If you wanna give advice there are hundreds of threads full of people looking for it. People don't generally come to share thread to get criticism. Forum etiquette and all that.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    Can we get back to timecube thing? Just for a minute. Can you weigh in on it? One of my astronaut colleagues back in the lab thinks he remembers you volunteering for some of the experiments.

I have been known to be involved in time-travel...

Go to: http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/ click 'Download/Episodes' and select the Episodes/Vignetts, tab...

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/?category_name=episodes&orderby=title

and select the episode 4×01: "In Harm’s Way," and notice 1 VERY FAMILIAR download mirror on their official site ...

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/?page_id=336&postTabs=3 >> the 'GordonWatts' mirror ... is that a name we've heard before... :bigsmile:

The episode is about time-travel, of which my involvement is an integral part, as I'm one of few official mirrors world-wide... and yes, this is the original series in its 4th season --even with a few original actors making their reprise (but as they're much older, either time-travel or aging diseases have been invoked to explain away this matter).

Of course, if I was involved in the mishap in 2273, I won't remember it, as the time-line has been altered to fix the damage done by the planet killer. (I'm sure you will understand.)
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    ETA means Edited to Add...

And I was trying to be helpful to you (as a new person) so you wouldn't get dinged for hijacking/derailing a thread..which is against the Community Guidelines. It's different then giving unsolicited lifting advice :flowerforyou:

But...carry on if you must...although I find it very irresponsible not to get more info before lending any advice to anyone.
    OK, thx 4 the clarification.

On my part, neither was I trying to come down on you in a heavy-handed way (but as I told taso, when I apologised to him for my over-step --remember? --I am, after all, human.)

I even updated my profile to add a little more info about me --as others apparently want to know my perspective and point of origins. Thanks for trying to be diplomatic and polite. :smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Who is this new guy?

Why don't you ask the 'new guy' (instead of talking in the 3rd person, disrespectfully)

Is this board about arguments -or, rather, about exchanging ideas on exercise & health: I thought this board was about exercise, and not drama.

Why all the hate and discontent: I studied my art to help others and myself -not to have nuts that don;t know me argue about non-issues.

If I get along fine with all my mates in my gyms, and other places, what exactly is your problem.

And, what precisely did I say that offends you -- if you can't give me a specific answer, then clearly, you are just looking to cause strife and contention.

How rude....I was talking to DavPul...

Eh? You were talking *about* me, don't you realise ... behind my back, so to speak.

A bit off-centre, don't you think?

I'm not saying it was wrong of you to talk about me -- but if that's all you do... LOL Have some honour - just ask the poster, himself!

I was responding to DavPul....not sure what your point is. And please stop with the insinuations. I actually responded with a post that was actually on topic and in the 'spirit' of the topic of the thread.

Edited for typo.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Can we get back to timecube thing? Just for a minute. Can you weigh in on it? One of my astronaut colleagues back in the lab thinks he remembers you volunteering for some of the experiments.

Go to: http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/ click 'Download/Episodes' and select the Episodes/Vignetts, tab...

and select the episode 4×01: "In Harm’s Way," and notice 1 VERY FAMILIAR download mirror on their official site ...

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/?page_id=336&postTabs=3 >> the 'GordonWatts' mirror ... is that a name we've heard before... :bigsmile:

The episode is about time-travel, of which my involvement is an integral part, as I'm one of few official mirrors world-wide... and yes, this is the original series in its 4th season --even with a few original actors making their reprise (but as they're much older, either time-travel or aging diseases have been invoked to explain away this matter).

Of course, if I was involved in the mishap in 2273, I won't remember it, as the time-line has been altered to fix the damage done by the planet killer. (I'm sure you will understand.)

tumblr_m0d5h5tw9E1r17icbo1_400.gif
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    Who is this new guy?

That is not very polite: Why would you not be open to feedback or constructive criticism? We all have areas of improvement.

Secondly, however, is more fundamental to your issue: Since I have not once ever insulted anyone on this thread in the short time I've been here, but solely and only offered tips to get better -or tips to better understand the physics of lifting -then your concern is unfounded. Save your angst for actual idiots; you'll feel better if you do.

So, again, where I have ever said *anything* of an insulting nature to anyone (with the exception of my replies to a few self-proclaimed board-police or hotheads)? If you can not precisely tell me exactly I said that was out of order, then *you* are out of order, Sakura.

Oh, and I just watched a video of you deadlifting...confirmed, I would not take advice from you.

Eh?

You are quite strong, especially for someone as light as you. But, when I make ROM (range of motion) corrections for my height (I am taller than you), it appears that I am at least as strong as you --even if only by a small margin: remember, work is force OVER A DISTANCE, so my placement of the weight on blocks was not incorrect to make ROM corrections so that I was comparing apples-with-apples and not "apples-with-oranges" here. You are a talented and accomplished lifter, don't let anyone kid you, but 350-lbs is indeed more than 315-lbs, so your insult to me is unwarranted.

You're free to have your opinion, and you're even free to insult me (indeed, I am not as strong as some others --and not as strong as I'd like to be), but you won't find me insulting anyone -- the only reason I brought up that out-lifted you over apparently(?) the same ROM was because you took the first punch at me in your comment right above.

My DL form is not perfect, but I have had no actual injuries in my entire powerlifting career, and I really did lift the 710-lbs off the yoke and the 635-lbs in the rack, all without leverage advantages (like a a car jack, for example) -- I, myself, lifted them -- and no one else.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

WTF!?!

3Q8EwmX.jpg
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the expiration date is on 1RM's. Last time I tested it was about 6 months ago.

Male 5'10" 165lbs I pulled 315lbs.
  • Elektrolyfe
    Elektrolyfe Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Male: 5'8 165 1RM 435 feelsbadman :( I've been cutting all summer and have plateaued at 435 just now getting back into a bulk so I can finally up strength.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    I don't know what she's talking about. I'm thoroughly enjoying your 33 minute youtube lifting video. 10/10 will definitely watch again.

fEINngg.gif

You da man! (For what it's worth, I did try to make it entertaining, as well as educational.) :bigsmile:

For those that missed it, links to both my 'before & after' lifting progress AND my research on why other countries have lower cancer rates, longer life-span, higher fertility -etc - are all in my profile -- click my screen name, you know?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Who is this new guy?

That is not very polite: Why would you not be open to feedback or constructive criticism? We all have areas of improvement.

Secondly, however, is more fundamental to your issue: Since I have not once ever insulted anyone on this thread in the short time I've been here, but solely and only offered tips to get better -or tips to better understand the physics of lifting -then your concern is unfounded. Save your angst for actual idiots; you'll feel better if you do.

So, again, where I have ever said *anything* of an insulting nature to anyone (with the exception of my replies to a few self-proclaimed board-police or hotheads)? If you can not precisely tell me exactly I said that was out of order, then *you* are out of order, Sakura.

Oh, and I just watched a video of you deadlifting...confirmed, I would not take advice from you.

Eh?

You are quite strong, especially for someone as light as you. But, when I make ROM (range of motion) corrections for my height (I am taller than you), it appears that I am at least as strong as you --even if only by a small margin: remember, work is force OVER A DISTANCE, so my placement of the weight on blocks was not incorrect to make ROM corrections so that I was comparing apples-with-apples and not "apples-with-oranges" here. You are a talented and accomplished lifter, don't let anyone kid you, but 350-lbs is indeed more than 315-lbs, so your insult to me is unwarranted.

You're free to have your opinion, and you're even free to insult me (indeed, I am not as strong as some others --and not as strong as I'd like to be), but you won't find me insulting anyone -- the only reason I brought up that out-lifted you over apparently(?) the same ROM was because you took the first punch at me in your comment right above.

My DL form is not perfect, but I have had no actual injuries in my entire powerlifting career, and I really did lift the 710-lbs off the yoke and the 635-lbs in the rack, all without leverage advantages (like a a car jack, for example) -- I, myself, lifted them -- and no one else.

Have you heard of wilks scores? Lol at a guy trying to use leverage to argue that they are 'at least as strong' as me. I am a 46 year old woman. You really think that your comments are even relevant? In any event, strength has nothing to do with whether I would not take advice from you. Your form is terrible.

Your deadlift form is abysmal, your rack pull is not a rack pull and I have no idea what that yoke pull was supposed to be.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options

That has to be the best (attributed) quote of the day! (Even though it didn't occur in this time-line, I shall take credit for it.) :bigsmile:
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    5'5, 132lbs. Managed a 105kg (231lb) deadlift for 5 reps... though admittedly only 4 (maybe 3) with good form. Felt awesome, deadlifting is my favourite lift.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    My post was not one that should even elicit any attempt at feedback so your point is moot.

Sara, I would respectfully dissent:

Any time you either talk TO a person or ABOUT a person, it is appropriate to expect a response -- that is not always required, but it always optional.

Possible exceptions might be where either the answer that is being asked it clearly known (no answer needed), or perhaps if I made some crude sexual comment --or threat to you (in which case, I would CERTAINLY not deserve any reply whatsoever).

But seeing neither of these is the case, you answer is ... quite illogical.

I sense a deeper issue, but I'm not quite sure what it is -- if you want to say something, then precisely state the nature of your complaint -- don't be vague about it, as I believe you have been so far -- but, again, I'm not trying to suggest you not comment -- that is fully within your rights --only suggest you actually be precise with your complaints --and offer both a description of the problem and a proposed solution -if you want your comments to grow wings and make the trip. :smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Who is this new guy?

Eh?

...are you actually comparing your lifts to Sara's without accounting for gender or height or weight (there an equation for that btw) and saying that your higher 'raw' number make you stronger?

No. Bro. Bro. Just stop. DYE

It's not even a raw number - the 350lb was off blocks. The 295lb was a 'proper' deadlift.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    My post was not one that should even elicit any attempt at feedback so your point is moot.

Sara, I would respectfully dissent:

Any time you either talk TO a person or ABOUT a person, it is appropriate to expect a response -- that is not always required, but it always optional.

Possible exceptions might be where either the answer that is being asked it clearly known (no answer needed), or perhaps if I made some crude sexual comment --or threat to you (in which case, I would CERTAINLY not deserve any reply whatsoever).

But seeing neither of these is the case, you answer is ... quite illogical.

I sense a deeper issue, but I'm not quite sure what it is -- if you want to say something, then precisely state the nature of your complaint -- don't be vague about it, as I believe you have been so far -- but, again, I'm not trying to suggest you not comment -- that is fully within your rights --only suggest you actually be precise with your complaints --and offer both a description of the problem and a proposed solution -if you want your comments to grow wings and make the trip. :smile:

My original post....clearer now?