Do you ever lie to your food log ??

Options

Replies

• jching29
    jching29 Posts: 163
    Options
    Most of the time, my "lying" is out of sheer laziness, like if I've eaten a bunch of little things and log 90% but don't want to comb through the database to find the other 10. Sometimes I increase my calorie intake so the calorie monitor won't yell at me about starvation mode once I've logged everything.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    i don't cause i will only be hurting myself.
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I dont tend to not put things at all... but sometimes if I am a bit short of calories I might manipulate the entries, for instance, if I had some tomato soup at a cafe I would type in tomato soup and pick one of the lower calorie options even though I know it was probably more...

I only do it occasionally, but I am only human! Anyway something I do must be working because I've lost 33lbs in less than 3 months! :happy:
  • rattler0812
    rattler0812 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Splurge day or not, I try and keep my log as accurate as possible. It helps me recognize what I do on splurge days or even on my bad days. Then I can put food patterns to what my emotions are. There is link between the two for me. So I have to watch it all and keep it all under control.
  • decy63
    decy63 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I really try to be honest and if anything I try and overestimate the calories I really fail to see the point of lying it makes the site both irrelevant and useless.
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I usually have a little coffee in the morning and sometimes a little after dinner. And when I say "a little", I mean literally, about 2-3 sips total; so no, I don't log that. I went to Costco yesterday and had what my husband terms "American dim sum" (sampled a little of this and that). It's hard to determine what a little bit of this and that is calorie-wise, so I didn't bother.

As a general rule of thumb, I put in 200 quick-add calories per day to compensate for anything I "don't bother to log".
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    no but i put in what i think i'm going to have and i dont eat it or i go way over and don"t put it in but when i right on i do real good
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I think I'm addicted to logging! I try to be as exact as possible, because I'll never know where my downfalls are if I don't. I find that it keeps me encouraged to do my best throughout the day. If, for example, I go out for lunch and eat a bit more, then I try to log it accurately so that I can adjust my supper... and, if I do that, there is no guilt for my indulgence at lunch. I also think it could be an encouragement to others .. when a friend asks me 'how I did it" I can show him or her exactly what I ate to prove that yes, you can lose weight and still eat 'normal' things and not be starving.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I don't lie to myself about the calories I am eating. I log everything. I keep my diary closed now though. It used to be open but everyone has such different opinions about what I should be eating and how much I should eat that I finally decided it isn't really anyone's business what I eat.
  • tigmic
    tigmic Posts: 12
    Options
    Nice question, and not at all stupid. I definitely lied to my food log on many occasions when I first started using MFP. Then I realized how counter-intuitive that is and just started logging everything. Part of the reason why I think MFP is working for me now is that it just keeps me honest with myself.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    sometimes i feel too bad to log it the day of, but in those cases I always go back and add it the next day...and I usually don't hit the complete button on those days either.

occasionally there are days where I just don't log anything, but I try not to do that anymore. Logging is only going to work for me if I'm honest with myself.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    There was a time that i used to "add" calories to breakfast because i was always getting yelled at... I don't always have time to eat breakfast and you guys were being mean :( lol Now if i'm too busy i'll grab a meal shake for fix a quick smoothie :)
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Never - can't see the point. If you do that it will just come back at you and bite you on the bum....almost literally!
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything... but to be honest I'm of the persuasion that Denial is a river in Egypt and I am swimming like a fish!
    Seeing the total go past 1200 calories is so demoralising, especially as it happens to me rather early in the day that I just can't hack it yet. Of course, I should be moving more and logging my exercise calories too!

It'll come. Eventually.
  • blasiansrus
    blasiansrus Posts: 151
    Options
    Nope, I log every bit unless I don't know the nutrition for something (like the homemade-by-someone-from-school chocolate truffles I had the other day) then I just guess how many calories are in them or try to find an item in the system (like brandname truffles) that would have similar nutrition facts. I've had 3000+calorie days, but I still log it all because the only person I'd be cheating by not logging it would be myself
  • lucky2too
    lucky2too Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, especially when I go out to eat , I just don't log at all. It's just so hard to figure out what you've eaten. The rest of the time I tend to over estimate calories if I get lazy and neglect measuring or weighing. I dislike going out to eat at restuarants that aren't in the database. Also, tonight I'm going to a birthday party. I know the menu...pizza, bread sticks ,cake, ice cream. I will probably neglect logging tonight.
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I log everything! If I'm not sure how much to log, I will actually err on the side of overestimation! After I input my calories on MFP, I then transfer the number to the bodymedia website to see my calorie deficit for the day! Since the bodymedia armband tells me how many calories I burned that day, I can get the actual number of extra calories burned to predict my weight loss for the week! Since I don't want THAT number to be inaccurate, I am diligent about accounting for everything!
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I log everything, even a 5 calorie pickle. Nights I have logged out for the night off my puter and eat something I didnt log, I write myself a note and put it on my computer to go back and update the day before. I'm not trying to impress anyone with my food log and it's holding myself to honesty that is required for me to be successful.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    If accuracy isn't important, then why on earth waste the time to log in the first place? This baffles me.
  • tmassy
    tmassy Posts: 21
    Options
    I lie by adding calories. Sometimes my intake isn't enough and I don't like it when it says i'm consuming too little. So I backwards lie.