Do you ever lie to your food log ??

Options

Replies

• Quel1970
    Quel1970 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    No lying here. In less you count the fact that I just bought a food scale and realized I had been OVER estimating the amount of food I was eating.

It really irritates me too when ppl assume I am not logging something since my weight loss has been nil.
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I didn't used to, until I opened my diary and made some friends. I write it all down during the day, but once I finish my diary and everyone writes "good job" or whatever... I feel like a dork for going back and adding that I got an extra cup of microwave popcorn that put me over my calories for the day. Peer scrutiny motivates me, but it also hold me accountable ... meaning if I log it and go over, I'm going to hear about it from someone who is going to tell me what I SHOULD have done differently. And sometimes I just don't wanna hear it, so I don't put that extra popcorn on there.

Still, its better than closing my diary, because when no one is looking, I'd cheat WAY more than I do now. I'm a master at ignoring what I eat... that's how I got the way I am!!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    There is one downside to me for the exercise logging. On the rare occasions I watch TV, I could pick up the handweights during commercials or just whenever, stretch, or dance around a bit, and sometimes I find myself thinking, "Yeah, but if I want to log it, I need to go get my wristwatch HRM and use that and if I only want to do it for a few minutes logging five minutes of weights and silly dancing will look...well, silly, so I think I'll pass."

Bad mindset, trying to break myself of it. I can exercise without logging it or recording the calories if I feel like doing short bursts of it, because I am still getting the benefit even if MFP doesn't know!
  • bethybear8990
    Options
    I am bad about not logging something if it is not a full serving. ( I will eat 5 or 6 rice snacks and a serving is 17) If it is simple and I can put .25 of a serving I will include it, but if its an odd number than I won't. I am also really bad about not logging mixed drinks because I have NO CLUE how many calories are in them.
  • maryduggins
    maryduggins Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    depends... when I have a cheat meal/dessert I don't log it. Why should I? It wouldn't be cheating if I stayed in my calories!(:

And honestly, towards the end of the day when I have 300-400 cal left (typically) I just count it up mentally, so I don't usually end up logging everything in. I just try to stay within the calories. Last night, I probably went over 15-50 calories, but I'm not sweating it. That's not going to do anything(;
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I am bad about not logging something if it is not a full serving. ( I will eat 5 or 6 rice snacks and a serving is 17) If it is simple and I can put .25 of a serving I will include it, but if its an odd number than I won't. I am also really bad about not logging mixed drinks because I have NO CLUE how many calories are in them.

You won't like the answer if you google it. The answer I got was at least 300 calories per 8oz.
  • azazelrabbit
    Options
    Oh yeah, but never over 200 calories and more likely to be 50. I always keep a log in my head of the calories I eat.
  • cabg6
    cabg6 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the opportunity for so many of us to take the moral high ground. I appreciate the view any time I can get here.
    Seriously, though, how about if you feel the need to lie if you just make your food log private? If no one else can see it (if indeed that is what your worry is), make it only available to you. Then it becomes a more valuable tool.
    And, since I'm up here I can't resist...if we were all 100% honest with ourselves we would not have found ourselves in the position we ended up in that brought us to this place.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I don't lie, but sometimes I just don't log the end of the day if I know I've gone over by a bunch... Then I get back on the wagon the next day.
  • KellyLin62
    Options
    I decided when I started logging to be honest! Why Lie? Who am I kidding anyway! It is,! what it is If I have a bad day or bad choice i just own it and move on!Lying is what got me in this weight gain to begin with!! Honesty is the key here ...for me!:smile:
  • mochomito
    mochomito Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    not really - if i don't know how many calories it is i try to estimate - or if i don't remember that i ate something - well it's not really a lie if i don't remember
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Interesting question......

I never lie and say I haven't eaten something that I did........ I use MFP as an accounting and a way for ME to stay aware of what I'm eating in general.....

But I often find myself "stretching" the truth about how much I've eaten.......I usually put down a little more than I actually ate if it's a healthy thing, and I will sometimes look for the "least calorie entry" for something not so good.......

My biggest problem with logging is when I go completely off the charts and don't eat at all...........Then I won't log in to write that I've only had two cups of tea and a bowl of cereal for the entire day...... I am ashamed and defensive about my poor eating and I would rather ignore the whole thing rather than log in and be scolded for eating too few calories...... after a few days of this it's hard to get your diet sorted out and back on track again.......

Basically everyone's log book has different meanings and goals........ mine keeps me on track and accountable to eating enough healthy food.....
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Nope. I log everything that I put in my mouth which is easy because I use the app on my phone. When I'm not home I do estimate some things though. When I cook I weigh everything then log it.
  • cabg6
    cabg6 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    hahahaha. "I wouldn't be cheating if I logged it." I love it! That'll get the hypocrites flaming.
    continued success! keep that sense of humor!
  • Dare2Believe
    Dare2Believe Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it lying to my food log, I would call it lying to myself so what's the point. I know if I ate something or not, my weight shows it, my clothes show it, etc. It's not human frailty it is excuses. Excuses are what got me over weight to begin with. I came here to stop the excuses and be accountable.
  • 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options
    I never lie, that would defeat the whole purpose of this.
  • BlueStar1989
    BlueStar1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    A lie only hurts me in the end so NO WAY I LIE about this stuff. I want to know what I'm doing right or wrong for later to correct it so I can reach my goal. A lie sabatogs that in a GREAT big way
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Sometimes I lie because what I'm eating isn't in the database and I can't look up the calorie count for whatever reason and so I just try to choose something remotely related and guess the calories. Case in point a certain dish a Chinese restaurant I eat at once in a while, I googled the name, what it might actually be, and anything else to try and find an accurate calorie count. Couldn't so I just log the related food and eat as little as possible in case. Another case is a pack of small mochi (pounded rice made into a ball and often filled with something, whether fruit or bean paste) I buy from an Asian market. They don't have a translated nutrition info section and what I'm guessing is it is all in Japanese with no numbers. Barcode scanner on the app pulls it up as something from Trader Joe's so I just go with it. But I rarely eat them as they're sweet and glutenous.

I'd say a handful of times I have not logged something, but it's usually when it's so close to midnight there's no point in putting it on the already saved log and I can't see the point in putting it on the next day one especially if I don't plan to work out that day. And it's not bad stuff, usually soup or one homemade muffin. Once or twice some fries but I always try to work out that sodium regardless of whether it's logged. I don't make a habit of it, but then again I don't make a habit of midnight snacking either.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    No because the only person you are lying to is yourself, the friends on your list care but it doesn't affect them, it affects you. If I don't want people to know what I eat, I don't allow it to be public, but I don't lie when I log it. No point in that. Whatever you eat in private you will wear in public :)
  • yourtrainermarla
    yourtrainermarla Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    No. What would be the point of keeping the log if I lied in it?