Do you ever lie to your food log ??

Options

Replies

• ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Well, lately, I do find myself forgetting to add in that late night snack or I forget a couple of things. Sometimes I just guesstimate because its hard to tell what the exact calories are in something. At the same time, I also neglect adding in some of my exercise. These transgressions show on the scale, so it does more harm than good. I try to do my best though. Just because I don't log it, doesn't mean those calories don't count.

As much as we hate to admit it, lying to ourselves with our food diaries is just a way of us resisting the best that we can potentially be because we don't learn through our mistakes. There is no point in lying to yourself to make yourself feel better, because in the end it won't. It'll only make it worse because your weight loss is still being affected by what you aren't keeping track of.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't share my food log with anyone, not even my wife. I don't want to be tempted to lie. Lying is bad. Lying to yourself is crazy.
  • callmeabeast
    Options
    I add every thing! What is the point in lying to a journal when you did in fact eat something...I mean it's not like you look at your food diary and say "oh hey I did good today, ooh and look at this I didn't write down those 2 cookies so it actually doesn't even count as if I even ate it at all"
    I mean you only cheat yourself when you don't add things, your body keeps track of everything. It just seems pointless to me to have a FOOD diary if you aren't going to write down every thing that you EAT. Just my opinion.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    seems pointless to me to lie to it
  • elishabeish
    elishabeish Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I can't afford to lie to myself, but to each their own.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Never.
  • bjwbmw
    bjwbmw Posts: 55
    Options
    nope - no lying - I find overestimate calories more than underestimate - my trainer called me on that one...
  • Fitgirl1985
    Fitgirl1985 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What good does that do? It's for you own purpose to keep track. Defeats the purpose of the tool.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    No, that is only self destructive and hurting yourself. Why do you do that?
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    there are many times i just don't log end of days--like by 3pm i was done eating real food and instead chomping on cookies i made FOR my kids. ;)
    or it was a holiday (like passover coming up) and i just don't bother with that. too many entries and complicated. so i try to eat sensible portions or just enjoy the food for what it is--integral to celebrating the holiday.

i've been on here a long time and i know i'm not fooling anyone if i outright lie to myself. i keep my diary private so that i can be honest--so i can see that 6 chocolate cookies was 6 too many!

always a good idea to reflect on our habits. thanks for posting!
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down...
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I don't lie to my food log beause I figured out it is like lying to yourself. I used to at one time do it though. Sometimes when I know I have blown it I just quit logging. It is usually on my day off anyway. I usually eat what I want that day anyway.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down...

^^^ This. You can't lie to your hips....
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I don't lie about anything... Cold, hard truth and if you don't want to know then don't ask me! :wink:

I apparently lack the gene that allows one to lie, good & bad at times! LOL! I would never lie about food or ex that I log either, I would only be lying to myself & cheating me anyway... What would be the point?
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Yes, I sometimes add more serving if I'm not sure, and take away exercise calories if they seem to high.

Is that lying?

Same here. I sometimes add a bit more just in case.
  • csingleton80
    Options
    I make mine as accurate as possible, there may be times that I forget about something because I had a small snack after I hit complete entry. I do sometimes overestimate foods if I'm not sure, I would rather overestimate then under. If I have cookbooks that include nutritional information I still create it as a recipe for accuracy and have found what I come up with to usually be different then what I find in books.
  • Amberchalon
    Amberchalon Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I haven't lied-- but I have used substitutes such as logging a cupcake instead of a petite for because that isn't an option on here.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I never lie...probably overestimate- but that's intentional. I log EVERYTHING I eat...if I didn't, I couldn't have lost 40 pounds.
  • kirsty736
    kirsty736 Posts: 65
    Options
    I log everything, but only log exercise if I wan't to eat more!
  • nodellsj
    nodellsj Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i don't see a point to lying to my food log, its for me to know how i'm doing and since i know i added that salad dressing or something its better for me to look back and see how my eating habits have gotten better and continue to use it as motivation to eat healthy and hold myself accountable for my actions than to lie and say im doing a good job.