Do you ever lie to your food log ??

Options

Replies

• OccupyFitness
    Options
    I don't log my water. I have a 20 oz container and I drink three a day. I just don't add it to my journal. I don't know why. I don't think it is lying.

Sometimes at the end of the day I have closed my journal and then I'll have something else. But I know how many calories I have left so I don't go over.

Right now I have my journal set on private so I would only be lying to myself and there is no point in that!
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I had the toughest day this year on Thursday after going to Fleming's and let myself go. My friends and I were pigs. It was tough logging everything in but I did it. Why detract from the value of the process? I want to learn as much as I can about myself and cause/effect. Manipulating things just makes our efforts less effective.

I couldn't agree with you more!
  • abfit4life
    abfit4life Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    This journey is about my choices. I can choose to lie and stay stuck or I can choose to open myself up and look honestly at my horrible relationship with food, make the changes necessary so I can live a truly healthy life. I do occasionally forget things and may not always make the best substitutions but lying is never my intention. I do admit that I often have to manipulate the number of minutes I say that I exercise in order to record the accurate calorie burn reading from my BodyBugg. But I think that' a flaw inherent in the system.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    No, not really.

The closest I came was when a friend went to great trouble to cook for me and made something very, very calorie-dense (and delicious!) I chose to be a bit ... optimistic ... about some measurements, and came in just barely under my daily calorie allowance. However, I know that I was very close. And, it was early in the week and I still had hundreds of un-eaten extra calories that had "expired" on Sunday night.

For that matter, I had hundreds left over from the previous (Monday) night. For some reason, I just didn't want to go over for even one night.

Usually, though, I overestimate what I'm eating. While I carefully weigh everything on a digital scale, some things may not actually get eaten even if they're counted. Like, tonight I fried a steak in olive oil. I weigh the steak raw and recorded those calories, even though some fat would not be eaten. Then, I recorded the full tablespoon of olive oil, even though much of it remained in the pan.
  • gmctech
    gmctech Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I log EVERYTHING.. I log every calorie that passes my lips as best i can! :)
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Why lie about it, I har days when I genuinely forget to log stuff but I haven't deliberately omitted anything, I'd just be cheating myself
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    OK.. I will 'fess up that I sometimes shave a few cals by not logging all my food...Since I consider myself near normal, I think that some of my fellow members do the same thing...Did you log that extra glass of white wine or a beer ?? Did you say "forget about that microwave popcorn"...I do that and I confess my transgression...I think you should too if you want to get it off your chest and move on in our near normal lives..It's up to you...I know that some people would find it *unthinkable", but others, like me might find it a sign of our human frailty..

What is your take on it ??? Are you going to come clean if you do it ??? or do you think it is a cardinal sin..

Shake and bake,

wolftrax

sometimes i miss things... i wouldn't call it "lying".... not like I'm going to the buffet and i'm like "naw, i won't log any of this..."

if i don't wanna log, i just don't finish the diary that day... or the next, or the next.... etc.

but usually, i log too much, like i'll just do the whole can, meal, etc, and then i get halfway thru and think, eh, i'm full. Or if it's some food that I can't find, i'll just chose whatever's the most calories. Like i'm at the work cafeteria and they're having taco salad day, i'll just log whatever the largest taco salad is on mfp
  • xxCelestexx
    xxCelestexx Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I log everything. thats the point. if you are afraid to put it down you know you shouldnt be having it. If you have it anyway then you have to log it and see the damage.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I miss a day here and there, mainly when I'm doing a carb reload or spiking but I do log everything. People have laughed at my diary sometimes, I even keep it fairly open.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I am pretty good at honestly filling out my diary. There's a couple small things I don't log (like half a handful of cheerios, or the peanut butter I ate out of the jar earlier), but, for the most part, I make sure I log everything. I don't wanna risk it, you know?

I'm usually under my cals and have lost 6lbs in 21 days, so I must be doing something right.

I need to start logging olive oil down, though! It's got a lot of cals :grumble:
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    There's misc. stuff I don't log. Things that are less than 20 calories, like lettuce and other garnishes. Coffee is almost zero calories as well. That stuff is just tedious and annoying to think about. I typically have a couple hundred spare calories at the end of the day, not only to cover any guesstimations of portion sizes, but to also include a random cup of plain coffee or a handful of something I just grab.

Exactly this :-)
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Nope. It would only hurt me.
  • Jentheoriginal
    Jentheoriginal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't lie about anything... Cold, hard truth and if you don't want to know then don't ask me! :wink:

I apparently lack the gene that allows one to lie, good & bad at times! LOL! I would never lie about food or ex that I log either, I would only be lying to myself & cheating me anyway... What would be the point?

Agreed, the truth will set you free! :)
    Splurge day or not, I try and keep my log as accurate as possible. It helps me recognize what I do on splurge days or even on my bad days. Then I can put food patterns to what my emotions are. There is link between the two for me. So I have to watch it all and keep it all under control.

That's a great reason, and I find myself in patterns too!

This is the way I look at it. If you ate something that you know is going to push you over on calories and you decide not to log it.... You still know in your head that you went over on calories....so whats the point of not logging it,? The Beautiful thing about life is every day is a brand new day. If you screw up 1 Day you still have 364 more days in a given year to get right!

We are all human. We all have urges. If you feel like eating extra one day its not the end of the world. Nor does it mean if you go 1 calorie over your goal will you gain 10lbs that instant. Just eat 1 less calorie the next day then BAM! problem solved. lol

^ I like this guy! Great Attitude! And it obviously worrked!!! :)

I was thinking the same thing!!! :)
  • 8kidsmom
    8kidsmom Posts: 40
    Options
    I log it, good or bad to make myself accountable. I will overestimate on cals before I short them. But with exercise I will estimate them low to keep myself under.

Same here!
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    No because I would be lying to myself and that is not on.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Why lie? Who's watching? Like someone else said on this thread...you can lie to MFP but you're body will know when you're lying and it defeats the purpose of why you're logging your food to begin with.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    sometimes I add alcohol as quick calories. :drinker:
  • Droope2
    Droope2 Posts: 82
    Options
    The only thing I have "ever" lied about, and I am not quite sure it's lying, is adding more to the portion if I am not exactly sure, I would rather give myself less calories than go over, I am not always great at the measuring thing, like tonight we had chili, I am sure it wasn't more than 1.5 cups but just to be safe I said 2 cups.
    Maybe I am a little different because if I want to have gastric bypass I have to follow this exactly and meet with my nutritionist. I want to be alive and healthy for my kiddos so if anything, I over log :(
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I think the only way I "lie" per se is when I can't find the actual food I ate! Which is driving me crazy!!
  • darlenestanley
    darlenestanley Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Whether you lie or not on your food diary, your body will keep an accurate account.