Supplements---What do you take?

Options

Replies

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Once again, I am taking a reasonable approach I think. Get the most from your food and get tested for what you cannot get and take appropriate actions for it whether it be eating more foods with the vitamins you are lacking or in the worst case scenario take supplements IF you need them. Your health is your responsibility after all but taking supplements that you don't know you need is just plain silly. If you think that is judgemental than so be it. I think I am being really reasonable. Taking every supplement under the sun because you might possibly need it is not doing anything but making the vitamin companies rich. But of course they need to make their money from someone so go for it.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Soluble fiber
    men's multi
    probiotic
    flax meal
    Whey, Whey isolate, casein.
  • Happymom12
    Happymom12 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I use a few of ViSalus' products the vitamins and also the vi- shape nutritional shake mix to name a couple.
  • VanessaMFaulkner
    Options
    Dbl dose b complex, one a day, fish oil, biotin
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    There is a reason the FDA does not put their stam of approval on vitamins. I believe most vitamins are processed junk and you can read a number of articles about it, here is one http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/news/20100401/multivitamins-linked-to-breast-cancer-risk

You're kidding, right? The FDA is the biggest scam out there! Studies have proven that aspirin reduces your cancer risk but the FDA will not allow the makers of aspirin to make that claim any more and if they do then aspirin will be regulated and you will need a prescription to get it! They want to regulate ALL vitamins and force you to get them by prescription only. They claim that vitamins are harmful because they give them to their lab rats in doses that no one would ever be able to process.

They're a money hungry government funded operation that needs to be shut down period!
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    Once again, I am taking a reasonable approach I think. Get the most from your food and get tested for what you cannot get and take appropriate actions for it whether it be eating more foods with the vitamins you are lacking or in the worst case scenario take supplements IF you need them. Your health is your responsibility after all but taking supplements that you don't know you need is just plain silly. If you think that is judgemental than so be it. I think I am being really reasonable. Taking every supplement under the sun because you might possibly need it is not doing anything but making the vitamin companies rich. But of course they need to make their money from someone so go for it.

dont you know its unreasonable to post your opinion on a subject in a PUBLIC forum if it differs from what they want to hear? how dare you offer reasonable advice that doesnt match up with what they already believe. how judgemental of you. come off your high horse of trying to offer a new or different perspective on something. geez whats wrong with you.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    There is a reason the FDA does not put their stam of approval on vitamins. I believe most vitamins are processed junk and you can read a number of articles about it, here is one http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/news/20100401/multivitamins-linked-to-breast-cancer-risk

You're kidding, right? The FDA is the biggest scam out there! Studies have proven that aspirin reduces your cancer risk but the FDA will not allow the makers of aspirin to make that claim any more and if they do then aspirin will be regulated and you will need a prescription to get it! They want to regulate ALL vitamins and force you to get them by prescription only. They claim that vitamins are harmful because they give them to their lab rats in doses that no one would ever be able to process.

They're a money hungry government funded operation that needs to be shut down period!

Agreed, the FDA is bought and sold to the highest bidder just like any other government entity.
  • zoedallas
    zoedallas Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    dont you know its unreasonable to post your opinion on a subject in a PUBLIC forum if it differs from what they want to hear? how dare you offer reasonable advice that doesnt match up with what they already believe. how judgemental of you. come off your high horse of trying to offer a new or different perspective on something. geez whats wrong with you.
    Posting your opinion is fine. But calling other people silly, assuming the haven't done their research or weren't tested is arrogant and judgemental.

Share your thoughts, your beliefs your research. Don't tell people what to do and imply they are stupid if they don't do things your way.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Have you studied this? Because all vitamins are NOT created equal by any means. Buying a good brand is very important. I researched before I chose. I didn't choose the best for financial reasons but GNC is a good one. Most drug store brands were worthless.

There's something I always look for on multi-vitamins to see if they pass my tests.
    - The Vitamin B12 should be methylcobalamin, not cyanocobalamin
    - The Vitamin B6 should be P5P (or a mix of P5P and something else), not pyridoxine hydrochloride
    - The Magnesium should be citrate, not oxide
    - The Calcium should be citrate

Guess what? Your multi failed all of them thus making it a low-quality multi-vitamin. There's other stuff to look for but yours failed those, so we can assume the other ingredients are most likely lacklustre.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options

I am outa here. People will believe what they want to believe and will read what they want to read and they will defend their bad eating habits to the death instead of changing them. Most people in this world are sheep and this confirms it for me. Instead of taking a reasonable approach to their health, they take a million supplements that they do not need, for what? Haha it is pretty silly if you think about it but in the end we are each responsible for our own health. I take mine seriously, because quality of life is just and important as quantitiy. I am not holier than thou nor judgemental. I just like to know what I am lacking before spending unnecessary money on a bunch of synthetic vitamins. But that is just me and I will not cry over other people choosing something different. When I offer advice it comes from a good place, if others cannot hear it then it says more about them than me.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    and for the record I guarentee you that most people taking vitamins here have not done their research. If you get offended by the word silly, then you are silly.
  • zoedallas
    Options
    Have you studied this? Because all vitamins are NOT created equal by any means. Buying a good brand is very important. I researched before I chose. I didn't choose the best for financial reasons but GNC is a good one. Most drug store brands were worthless.

There's something I always look for on multi-vitamins to see if they pass my tests.
    - The Vitamin B12 should be methylcobalamin, not cyanocobalamin
    - The Vitamin B6 should be P5P (or a mix of P5P and something else), not pyridoxine hydrochloride
    - The Magnesium should be citrate, not oxide
    - The Calcium should be citrate

Guess what? Your multi failed all of them thus making it a low-quality multi-vitamin. There's other stuff to look for but yours failed those, so we can assume the other ingredients are most likely lacklustre.
    And you can recommend a $6 drug store brand that passes your test? Please share the info.
  • lrivhod0508
    lrivhod0508 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D(I am actually low in this as evidenced by lack of energy and blood tests)

Rainbow light pre natal

Amazing grass superfoods(just started)

I also add ground flax to my food but thats not really a supplement since its a food. :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Wellman (1-a-day multivitamin/minerals) and an extra Vitamin D supplement (5000 IU). Don't get enough sun here. USN 100% Whey Protein any day I'm going to be otherwise short of 180g of protein.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I take vitamin T. It helps me tolerate arrogance from know-it-alls who talk down to people who take supplements
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    medicine has gotten better over the years, nothing to do with supplements. I do not believe clean food is the cure all but again the people fighting against clean food are the ones that refuse to change their lifestyles in order to never be overweight again. Fine by me but when you ask for advice, and you get defensive over the answer than that just says to me that there is something that is striking a nerve within you (maybe a little splash of truth?!!) that maybe you should look at. I am a stranger offering an very reasonable opinion, if you get upset about an opinion then maybe you should look a little deeper as to why you are getting upset. Maybe you know fruits and veggies are good for you but do not want to take the step to give your body what it needs? Maybe you don't have insurance and a blood test is expensive, maybe you do not want to change the way you eat and want to believe that the synthetic vitamins are just as good for you but deep down you know they are not, maybe you are just stubborn and know this is the right advice but you do not want to admit it to yourself. I don't know. All I know is that changing what food I crave has changed my life in a very positive way. I also no longer gain weight and aside from the 2 vitamins I cannot absorb naturally, my blood pressure, cholesterol and everything else having to do with my health is perfect. That is what eating clean will do for you, it takes out most processed things and leaves you feeling fantastic. If you are getting defensive over people telling you to eat better food please look inside and ask yourself what is it that is making you so defensive.

Pretty sure this thread was created to ask people what supplements people are eating and not hear you preach about how people can every thing they need from healthy eating. I eat very clean but for what I am going for it is easier to supplement more protein with a shake then eat a big steak. Get off your soap box already.
  • zoedallas
    Options
    and for the record I guarentee you that most people taking vitamins here have not done their research. If you get offended by the word silly, then you are silly.

This "silly" discussion has gone on long enough. Back to discussing supplements....
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Ain't nuttin' wrong wid takin' a multi. ;) I've done my research and I take one and many other smart, scientifically-driven individuals such as Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald, Anthony Colpo, and Ian McCarthy take multi-vitamins.

I have seen some research that bags on multi-vitamins but the problem comes from people mega-dosing nutrients. A low-dose multi-vitamin is usually good enough whereas some athletic brands quadruple the RDA intake.
    And you can recommend a $6 drug store brand that passes your test? Please share the info.

No, those are equally as awful but there are good, affordable multis out there. Source Naturals Life Force is one that's worth investing in. No one needs to go crazy and get mega-dosed vitamins and minerals such as Animal Pak (which is overrated and a waste of money). I also believe NOW makes a women's version of what I take, which I presume is called NOW Eve.
  • Rynoman2k3
    Rynoman2k3 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    GNC Mega Mens - Energy & Metabolism
    Oxy Elite Pro - Super Thermogenic
  • renegadecupid
    Options
    One A Day - Energy Blend multivit
    Cinnamon Capsules - 2 a day (for blood sugar)
    Kelp tablets - 1 a week
    Ab Cuts midsection blend (Sunflower, Fish, Borage, Flax, Sesame Seed oil, Vit E 807mg per) 3 x a day

Just remember what your body doesn't need, it gets rid of. No sense in doubling up on vitamins unless you have money to burn. As you get the nutritional aspects through everyday foods.