Supplements---What do you take?

Options

Replies

• weathergirl320
    Options
    Nothing at all, just good wholesome and healthy foods. I hate a lot of them, but I am not big on eating so I just eat what is required, thinking of my healthy heart and being with my kids in to my old age. I try not to think of the taste if it's something I don't like, but I eat it anyway as I know it will do me good. 3 meals a day 20 mins a kick.

I have a degree in Animal Science and Physiology and I have read extensively on supplements for my dissertation. The short answer is, if it's longevity and good long term health you after, where all other variables are constant, it is much better to eat a natural, wholesome, varied diet with ceiling to your calorific intake and lots of moderate and regular exercise. The best supplements in the world are those that grow in the ground! They might not taste great, but if you're eating loads of tablets I don't think you're in it for the taste.

Lastly, as previously mentioned by others many supplements have been significantly linked to increased cancer risk. It's a challenging one statistically, but my view is that there is more evidence to suggest they are harmful, in an otherwise healthy body than there are to say they are useful.

Do not be enslaved by the smart marketing campaigns of the pharmaceutical companies that make these supplements. These companies are in it for profit and really know how to twist your world. I think you should take some of the detail out of it and just have a decent square meal.

I hope it makes sense to you and does not offend. I know it can be a sensitive matter and I wish you the best of luck with your goals.

dont bother. it doesnt matter what your background is. these people love being slaves to big pharma.

And here I thought you were against stereotyping or at least you were a few weeks ago.

haha yup ;)
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I take a women's multi, probiotics, digestive enzymes and fish oil supplement.
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    Multivitamin (NatureMade), fish oil (NatureMade), whey (usually Optimum Nutrition, but whatever I happen to try), Scivation Xtend during my workouts, and Scivation Novem preworkout.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    multivitamin for women
    calcium
    b12
  • zoedallas
    zoedallas Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    dont bother. it doesnt matter what your background is. these people love being slaves to big pharma.
    Ooooh! Conspiracy theories. Gotta love it. Only you have it bass ackwards. ;)

See, Big Pharma wants to have all supplements classed as drugs. It will put the mom & pop suppliers out of business and Big Pharma can charge more. Not to mention having to go through FDA approval which would mean taking many supplements off the shelves entirely.

The lack of cheap supplementation means that society is ill more often. Thus - more money for Big Pharma!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I take a woman's supplement with calcium and iron, vitamin D (my natural levels are in the single digits), flaxseed oil for the omegas, Optimum Nutrition whey, and I'm adding matcha green tea powder for the antioxidants.
  • Blueyz82
    Blueyz82 Posts: 151
    Options
    omg, lol, people get so fired up on here and go to the extreme with the name calling and anger. Chill out, remember we are all here for the same cause, to improve our health. Have respect for others opinions and choose to follow the advice that you think is correct and best for you. OMG

I take B-12 daily

and Iron pills

Multi-vitamins always make me feel nauseated? I eat with them, so I don't know why? So, I stopped taking them.

I am thinking about adding fish oils

not sure what else.
  • docdrd
    docdrd Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Why can't you take the supplements with caffeine? I take a fish oil (the heavy duty one), a multi vitamin and D, but often take them after eating breakfast and with my coffee. Please explain. Thanks!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I take a woman's supplement with calcium and iron, vitamin D (my natural levels are in the single digits), flaxseed oil for the omegas, Optimum Nutrition whey, and I'm adding matcha green tea powder for the antioxidants.

Interested why you chose flax vs fish oil for omegas, I know you're normally on top of things, but the conversion of ALA to DHA/EPA in humans isn't very efficient
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options

Interested why you chose flax vs fish oil for omegas, I know you're normally on top of things, but the conversion of ALA to DHA/EPA in humans isn't very efficient
    Yeah, I know :ohwell: I had bought a big bottle because I didn't want 'fishy burps' before I learned that unless you're vegan you should really be taking fish oil. I'm going to switch once the bottle of flax is done. Any recommendations for the least offensive brand?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Yeah, I know :ohwell: I had bought a big bottle because I didn't want 'fishy burps' before I learned that unless you're vegan you should really be taking fish oil. I'm going to switch once the bottle of flax is done. Any recommendations for the least offensive brand?

Any enteric coated one should do, and anecdotally people said keeping them in the freezer helps as well. I like to get double strength ones, since I shoot for 2-3g of EPA + DHA a day and it means less pills
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    One A Day Weight Smart.
  • weathergirl320
    Options

See, Big Pharma wants to have all supplements classed as drugs. It will put the mom & pop suppliers out of business and Big Pharma can charge more. Not to mention having to go through FDA approval which would mean taking many supplements off the shelves entirely.

The lack of cheap supplementation means that society is ill more often. Thus - more money for Big Pharma!

haha riiiiight cuz GNC is such a small mom and pop organization. and they arent making boatloads off their bogus products just like pfizer and merk and all the rest of the FDAs buddies. its got nothing to do with a conspiracy theory, its got to do with people convincing themselves they need to supplement their nutrition because the label says so and said labels making tons off of that misconception. food is nourishment. not pills.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Multi-vitamin and a probiotic.
  • zoedallas
    Options

haha riiiiight cuz GNC is such a small mom and pop organization. and they arent making boatloads off their bogus products just like pfizer and merk and all the rest of the FDAs buddies. its got nothing to do with a conspiracy theory, its got to do with people convincing themselves they need to supplement their nutrition because the label says so and said labels making tons off of that misconception. food is nourishment. not pills.
    OMG, this was a JOKE! Lighten up already.

Maybe you need to take a pill. ;)

(uh...that was another joke) But seriously, smile a little. It's good for you. :)
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons, I joined here was because I was a vegetarian anemic. I was on a prescription supplement for 2 months and then my iron levels were normal at my last recheck. i have been off the supplement for 3 months and my iron is still normal. I get all my iron from food and it is possible as a vegetarian.

The only supplement I take is vitamin D and I supplement with ground flax seeds in my smoothie

I love squeezing lemon on my greens.. spinach and kale, makes the iron bioavailable for the cells to take in! :D
    Thanks! I will definitely try this!
  • weathergirl320
    Options

OMG, this was a JOKE! Lighten up already.

Maybe you need to take a pill. ;)

(uh...that was another joke) But seriously, smile a little. It's good for you. :)

dont worry ive been laughing this whole time ;-)
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    T H and C
  • zoedallas
    Options
    T H and C
    LOL!