i can't believe i'm writing this ... ppl w/ tattoos

Options

Replies

• m0_0m
    m0_0m Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My tattoos don't have any deep profound meaning...They are carrots (yes, carrot tattoos)
    I HATE the disappointment in peoples faces when I tell them I thought they were funny, awesome, and I just really liked the design. To me my tattoos are a reminder to stay random and curious. I've tried to explain that but it's like that reason alone does not satisfy people enough. It can be really frustrating.
    However, I've found I can now judge a person's character on their reaction to my tattoos alone.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Honestly, who cares? It's your skin. do with it what you will. For anyone considering getting one, I recommend they consider where it will be. Take care to think about how it will age. Colors will fade and you can always get them filled back in, but some areas stretch as you age. Sure it's a butterfly now, but it will look like a condor when you're 70. :noway: That rose on your chest will be a Sequoia when you retire. :sad:
  • tinamarie2002
    Options
    I think if you chose a tattoo because it was pretty then that "means" something for you. If you chose one because it was cool then that also " means" something for you...etc. I figure when someone says to choose one that means something they are really trying to say choose something that you can live with for the rest of your life. I have one tattoo on my back, a black capped chickadee, I refer to it as my biker chick looking over my shoulder, does that suggest it means more to me than someone who chose something because they thought it was pretty? I don't think so.....
    First time replying on a blog, hope I did this right , sorry if I didn't
  • Bluescat1
    Bluescat1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options

When I was getting fitted for a pair of running shoes a couple weeks ago, this was the conversation:
    Him: "So why sleeves? What do they MEAN?"
    Me: "Why do you have a justin beiber haircut?"
    Him: "Point taken."

Because you have "sleeves' , you are going to get attention and questions. I don't think that everyone that ask the question "So why sleeves? What do they MEAN?" are asking to be jerks about it, but an answer like "Why do you have a justin beiber haircut?" would be unnessary. Why not just tell him if they have meaning or not and not attack his hair?
  • letobot
    letobot Posts: 205
    Options
    haha i love this!! This is the scenario I get often: People- "What does all that polynesian mean?"
    Me- "Nothing, it's just what i want to look at everyday."

I totally understand getting a tattoo that means something, but who made up the rules? Ef it and live!! and get what you don't mind looking at all the time.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Haha! I also think by the time you have full sleeves the only appropriate answer to the "why sleeves?" question is "Because I like tattoos."

All my tattoos mean something but more so that they mark a part of my life. Sometimes, I don't remember why I got one but I remember who was there and what we did during/after.
  • bmorton82
    bmorton82 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have 7 tattoos, including a large chest piece, and they all have meaning to me. They may not stand for something or symbolize anything in particular but I can look at each one and recall where I was at in the time of my life, perhaps what prompted me to get it and I appreciate those memories. The majority of them I had done when I was under 18 and, while I may have been just a youngster, I think that I made some pretty great choices and I wouldn't change a thing.... except turn a band on my arm into a half sleeve which I dream about everyday. To each their own, I think.

I heart ink.
  • rataliek
    rataliek Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!

Some of my favorite tattoos are either little friday the 13th tattoos, space fillers or one's i got on a whim with little to no time to think about them whatsoever with friends. My big meaningful pieces are just as awesome but i definitely don't think a tattoo needs to have significance to you. I guess when you get to the point where you know you'd like to be a "heavily tattooed person" you get out of the mindset that they all need to mean something. My next piece is going to be a peacock that goes from my armpit to my knee and i'm getting it because it's going to look AMAZING, not because it means strength/peace/love/change or because this one time my dad took my to a peacock farm and yadda yadda yadda. There's nothing wrong with meaningful tattoos, obviously, but I'm all for a fun tattoo that means nothing to me. To each their own!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

When I was getting fitted for a pair of running shoes a couple weeks ago, this was the conversation:
    Him: "So why sleeves? What do they MEAN?"
    Me: "Why do you have a justin beiber haircut?"
    Him: "Point taken."

Because you have "sleeves' , you are going to get attention and questions. I don't think that everyone that ask the question "So why sleeves? What do they MEAN?" are asking to be jerks about it, but an answer like "Why do you have a justin beiber haircut?" would be unnessary. Why not just tell him if they have meaning or not and not attack his hair?

I agree. You're guaranteeing yourself questions and attention. You don't have to be rude to those who ask simply because they're curious.
  • danawright14
    Options
    I have 4 tattoos and not all of them mean something, the first one i got when i was 16 and it's a picture of a butterfly that i got off of my favorite bands first album the second one is 4 hearts connected with smoke and i just got that because i thought it looked cool, the third one i got is " Hodiernum vive diem" live for today in latin and i got that because i like the saying and my forth one is "In the end It dosent matter how many breaths you took but how many moments took your breath away". and i got that because the saying is so true and i got it after i got engaged.

Not all tattoos have to mean something at all i think of my body as a blank canvas and i can do whatever i want to it and if someone has a problem with it then whatever they dont have to look at it (even though its SEXY lmao).
  • MichelleV1990
    MichelleV1990 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I've always loved mermaids, the ocean, Charlie Brown and the Peanuts gang, and flowers. I have the ocean theme running from my ribcage to just above my knee. I have 3 butterflies flitting around a flower, representing my 3 children and my husband. Charlie Brown and some of the gang, are located on my bum...not out of disrespect, because I think Charles Shultz was the greatest, but because I needed a canvas big enough that didn't have another theme going on. I also have a sun on my lower back just because I liked the way it looked. I've never been into oriental writing, but I came across a symbol for "Warrior", and have that on the back of my neck. Life has been a struggle for me. A lot of it was my own doing, but it just seems like I've had to battle quite a bit, so it seemed appropriate. I guess if you get the things you like, they all have some sort of meaning, no matter how deep it is.
  • jgriffin88
    jgriffin88 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Some of mine are in memorial to those I've lost and those I love... Some don't mean a thing ... I just like the art.
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Mine just means that at the age of 39 I wanted to overcome my overwhelming fear of needles. I chose to do that by getting a tatoo. It didn't work...lol. But, I'm still glad I did it!
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I don't have any tattoos, and I don't really want any.
    But it's up to the person to decide what they want, right?
    Just because one person doesn't like it, doesn't mean someone else shouldn't have it if THEY like it. :)
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Women with Tattoos are hot! That is all I have to say .............:drinker:
  • tjklloyd
    tjklloyd Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have 7, and of the 7, 3 mean something. I have my left wrist with my sons zodiac sign, my right wrist with my daughters and bracelet around, and a foot/ankle piece with lilies and a breast cancer ribbon for my mamaw. I have a tramp stamp that i just wanted, so I drew flowers with tribal, a frog on my right shoulder and a a little boy frog giving a girl frog on my right hip bone...I just like frogs. I think that whatever you like, you should get inked!
  • 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options
    My first tattoo was a fairy tramp stamp, didn't mean anything, just liked it, still do. My next though, will be cherry blossoms with my kids names in them...that will mean something!
  • Ironman2be
    Ironman2be Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My Cubs tattoo reflects my lifelong passion of being a Cubs fan, and the frickin torment they cause me each and every year.

My taz tattoo with the roadrunner and coyote, well, all that means is that i woke up from a hard night of drinking in the Marines and found this damn cartoon on my arm...
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Okay I have 12 single tattoos and a half sleeve.

SOME Of my tattoos actually have a direct meaning....
    SOME of my tattoos I just got because I was going thru a bad time and tattoos help me relieve stress.
    I always referred to tattoos as my sane way of "cutting" and my therapist said he hears that a lot. Lol.

So I can either tell you what my tattoo means or what I was going thru when I got it.
  • pinn44
    pinn44 Posts: 68
    Options
    I have a total of 6 and 3 mean something. I regret getting one of the ones that means something cause it represents a horrible time in my life. Thought I was reminding myself never to let it happen. But oh well. It's really what people want. Why do we have to have rules and regulations about everything?