i can't believe i'm writing this ... ppl w/ tattoos

Options

Replies

• AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My tattoos all have meaning (all 7 of them) but I have plans for future tattoos with no meaning at all :)

me too...all the ones I HAVE...(10) mean something...but I want many more that are simply awesome looking=)
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Doesn't mean a thing. I was at a bar with my four sisters and there was a tattoo parlour across the street, and it sounded like a good idea at the time. The gave me a book of designs and I picked one I thought was pretty (heart with little curley cues). When my son found out, he told me that because of the proximity of the tattoo (my lower back), that "MOM!!!! YOU HAVE A TRAMP STAMP???!!!" (He was and still is a little freaked out.. I mean really.. I was close to 50 when I got it!).

(ps...he and his wife got tattoos instead of wedding rings.. great big ones on their forearms.. his is a lock.. hers is a key... hope they don't live to regret it!)
  • aims78
    aims78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    No, not all of my tatts mean something, I would say about a 1/3 of them do though, the rest I just like lol!
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options

When I was getting fitted for a pair of running shoes a couple weeks ago, this was the conversation:
    Him: "So why sleeves? What do they MEAN?"
    Me: "Why do you have a justin beiber haircut?"
    Him: "Point taken."

Because you have "sleeves' , you are going to get attention and questions. I don't think that everyone that ask the question "So why sleeves? What do they MEAN?" are asking to be jerks about it, but an answer like "Why do you have a justin beiber haircut?" would be unnessary. Why not just tell him if they have meaning or not and not attack his hair?

I agree. You're guaranteeing yourself questions and attention. You don't have to be rude to those who ask simply because they're curious.

Before I got my half sleeve done my best friend got hers done...

We was out shopping one day and wen she was in the dressing room we heard girls in the dressing room next to us talking about how "TRASHY" it is for girls to have half sleeves....

Needless to say I had to hold her back from killing those girls. LMfao.
  • lsophiaw13
    Options
    Mine do but that's just me... It's your body to do with what you want. It's beautiful to you and that's all that should matter! BTW! Excellent conversation with the shoe salesmen!
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Doesn't mean a thing. I was at a bar with my four sisters and there was a tattoo parlour across the street, and it sounded like a good idea at the time. The gave me a book of designs and I picked one I thought was pretty (heart with little curley cues). When my son found out, he told me that because of the proximity of the tattoo (my lower back), that "MOM!!!! YOU HAVE A TRAMP STAMP???!!!" (He was and still is a little freaked out.. I mean really.. I was close to 50 when I got it!).

(ps...he and his wife got tattoos instead of wedding rings.. great big ones on their forearms.. his is a lock.. hers is a key... hope they don't live to regret it!)

My sister and her husband got the same tattoos on thier forearms!!!
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    mine mean...that I like celtic knotwork and pretty colors. That's it. Now, I got them for different reasons, but the designs themselves mean nothing other than I like to decorate myself with pretty things.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Mine has a multi - layered meaning to ME. But to anyone else, it probably just looks like a tramp-stamp. And I really don't care. I didn't get my tattoo for YOU. I got it for ME.
  • Rockerchick77
    Options
    [/quote]

Maybe he was just making conversation? Sounds like you take offense to someone who doesn't say "omg I love your tats, they rock" lol
    [/quote]

that's my guess too. people often times do get tats that have meaning to them and I'm betting people are just wondering is all. Humans are curious is all. I have 6 and often times get asked what mine mean. They all have meaning to me...do I tell someone I don't know what it means to me? sometimes yes and sometimes I just tell them it doesn't mean anything. It's just conversation for the sake of conversation most of the time.
  • Rockerchick77
    Options

Maybe he was just making conversation? Sounds like you take offense to someone who doesn't say "omg I love your tats, they rock" lol
    [/quote]

that's my guess too. people often times do get tats that have meaning to them and I'm betting people are just wondering is all. Humans are curious is all. I have 6 and often times get asked what mine mean. They all have meaning to me...do I tell someone I don't know what it means to me? sometimes yes and sometimes I just tell them it doesn't mean anything. It's just conversation for the sake of conversation most of the time.
    [/quote]

whoops...that 1st part was a quote from another reply
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    yeah...all of them mean something...they don't all represent something like my father, but the lady bug on my foot matches the exact same tattoos as my sisters and my mom...things like that. The elephant on my thigh is a porcelain figureine my grandma gave my mom, and I have an obsession with elephants. My back piece is an entire symbolic picture of my father, the om on my wrist reminds me to keep calm and stops stressing out so bad...the raven on the inside of my arm is my deceased g-pa's spirit animal. so i guess they do all mean something...even if you just think it's "cool" or "beautiful" that's a meaning.
  • cristileigh
    cristileigh Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have one...it means -- "damn i'm getting old, and I want a tattoo"
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    both of mine do. but really it's all about what you like. it's your bod. decorate as you see fit :flowerforyou:
  • projectconsistency
    Options
    I got nine tattoos when I was 16-20. Surprisingly I put more thought into the ones I when I was 16-17 than I did into the ones I got in college. My college dorm was across the street from a tattoo parlor, so my friends and I would head over there when we got bored. A few years later as a mid-twenties mom, I don't regret any of my tattoos, and I plan to get more after I finish grad school in a few months. I wouldn't want to discuss my tattoos with strangers, so I don't have any tattoos that are visible when I wear shorts and a sleeveless shirt.

Doesn't it seem like the people who are the most vocal in real life about meaningful tattoos are the people who don't yet have any tattoos?
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I LOVE the conversation with the shoe guy. lol My tattoo has no meaning other than my husband and I got tattoos together when we were still dating. It's a butterfly on a rose. It was something simple that I would probably not regret. I don't think tattoos need to mean anything. I think most people get them 1) to say they have a tatto or 2) because it was cool, they liked it. That's just my opinion. :smile:
  • msrena
    msrena Posts: 21
    Options
    LOL... nope. NOT AT ALL. I thought it would be "cool" to have a 6 inch lizzard on the entire top of my foot, looking like it's going down my foot..LOL .....i still like it...don't care what other people think.

I need to see this! It's something I've always wanted, and have never seen.

PS I love all of mine, and each has a meaning, but I'd never share what that is... it's between me and whoever I want it to be. I choose that person to be my husband :) Anyone else gets a "because I liked it"!
  • j3nnal3igh13
    Options

When I was getting fitted for a pair of running shoes a couple weeks ago, this was the conversation:
    Him: "So why sleeves? What do they MEAN?"
    Me: "Why do you have a justin beiber haircut?"
    Him: "Point taken."

BAHAHAHAHA! :laugh: This made my day. And I totally agree. It's your body, put whatever you want on it. I have a few tattoos that don't have any meaning what so ever, but they are pretty. :smile:
  • Zicon
    Zicon Posts: 27
    Options
    My taz tattoo with the roadrunner and coyote, well, all that means is that i woke up from a hard night of drinking in the Marines and found this damn cartoon on my arm...

+1
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    No, two of my four tattoos i simply got because they were beautiful.
  • stablesong
    stablesong Posts: 224
    Options
    Mine does. It has a very significant meaning, which is why it was my first one and why I was positive I wanted to have it forever. However, I had three or four planned and only two of them have any real special meaning.