If it fits in my daily calories...

Options

Replies

• FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Eating clean really isn't expensive. I feed a family of 5 on $150 or less per week.
    ---
    must be nice, sometimes me and hubby doesn't have $50 for the month for food after rent, lights etc and we don't qualify for food stamps
    alot of what we eat comes from the food bank which is ran by a local church ..

<backing back out the thread now>

*sigh*

Yeah. I've been in crappy situations too. I know how much it sucks. In no way was I bragging that we have tons of money. We have a monthly food budget of less than $100 per month per person. A lot of people cannot do that. A lot of people do not believe that organic can be affordable when in reality, it is often cheaper than fast food. That was my point. But thanks for making me feel bad for no damn reason when I was just trying to help others.

She isn't the only one who thought it sounded like you were bragging about your finances. And how do you figure <$100/person/mo? There are 4.3 weeks in a month, and at $150/week, that's ~$640. You have 2 adults, 2 children, and a breastfeeding infant. Even if the infant counts as a person, and quite frankly that's pushing it, you're still spending almost $130/person/mo. Even if you round the weeks in a month off to four, it's still $120/person/mo. SO which is it? Less than $100? Or ~$130? These are the numbers you gave, and they just don't "add up."

Organic may in some instances be cheaper than McDonalds, but on $25/person/mo, you can't eat organic OR clean. It's that simple.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I think everyone has to do this their own way, and use what tools work for them. Some feel better eating natural and earthy foods and others want their comfort foods. The biggest trick to losing weight successfully is finding what works for YOU.

I'm having a cookout this Easter Sunday...hamburgers, hotdogs, potato salad, baked beans, etc. And it WILL fit in my calories because I'ma force it...err...workout a lot to compensate for it. :wink: But I'll enjoy every bite and so will my family.

Seriously, arguing over what is the RIGHT way to lose weight is silly. The RIGHT way is the way that WORKS.

For YOU.
  • FitLink
    Options
    Eating clean really isn't expensive. I feed a family of 5 on $150 or less per week.
    ---
    must be nice, sometimes me and hubby doesn't have $50 for the month for food after rent, lights etc and we don't qualify for food stamps

Don't leave! You're 100% right! $150/week is A LOT of grocery money for two adults, two children and a breastfeeding infant. That you manage to make do with 1/2 the people on 1/12 the budget is admirable. If you can lose weight too, more power to you. You eat whatever you can get, okay?

It really isn't a lot of money. It's usually less, but for this example we'll say $150 because a nice, round number. $150 divided by 7 days equals $21.43. That, divided by four people, since technically my baby isn't eating real food (but will be in about a month) is $5.36. That, divided by 3 meals is $1.79. $1.79 per meal, per person, per day. Of course, that's leaving out snacks...

My real point was that it isn't cheaper to eat fast food. Even that $2 cheeseburger by itself without tax is more expensive than any meal I make for my family.

Except that the cheeseburger is $1, and she doesn't eat mainly FF cheeseburgers, she eats cheap crap from the food bank because they have just $0.28 per meal to work with...

Perhaps if you did the math on her budget too, you'd get it.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Food is made of macro nutrients and micro nutrients. Food is fuel for the body. Food is resource. Food is calories. Food is matter placed into your body which has different effects on your body depending on what it contains.

Once you understand fully the effect that any given food has on your body from ingestion through to excretion, you can eat whatever you want to fit in with your health goals, your fitness goals, your body shape goals or any other goals which are affected by food.

For example there's a reason that so many people take protein immediately after a workout - it's to take advantage of the reaction your body will have to that nutrient at that moment. There's a reason some people take complex carbs before a workout and simple carbs after a workout... There's a reason a lot of people focus on complex wholegrain carbs for breakfast. There's a reason that at specific times of the year some of us eat massively more calories than other times (which is bladdy hard to do while eating exclusively 'good' or 'healthy' foods!).

So perhaps the statement shouldn't be "this fits in my daily calories" but "this fits in with my current goals

Just thinking out loud really...

Jay
  • FitLink
    Options
    Food is made of macro nutrients and micro nutrients. Food is fuel for the body. Food is resource. Food is calories. Food is matter placed into your body which has different effects on your body depending on what it contains.

Once you understand fully the effect that any given food has on your body from ingestion through to excretion, you can eat whatever you want to fit in with your health goals, your fitness goals, your body shape goals or any other goals which are affected by food.

For example there's a reason that so many people take protein immediately after a workout - it's to take advantage of the reaction your body will have to that nutrient at that moment. There's a reason some people take complex carbs before a workout and simple carbs after a workout... There's a reason a lot of people focus on complex wholegrain carbs for breakfast. There's a reason that at specific times of the year some of us eat massively more calories than other times (which is bladdy hard to do while eating exclusively 'good' or 'healthy' foods!).

So perhaps the statement shouldn't be "this fits in my daily calories" but "this fits in with my current goals

Just thinking out loud really...

Jay

EIther statement implies that MY goals are what counts, not the goals someone else here at MFP thinks should be my goals.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    cleaner eating really doesn't cost more, at least in my experience, because I am getting full from the lean protein and buying no snacky foods for the house anymore. If I want chips, I'll buy a fun sized bag once in a blue moon as opposed to the family sized bag I used to buy all of the time for the house.
    There's a contradiction in your comment. How is buying a "fun sized bag" once in a blue moon going to be cheaper than buying a larger bag that is cheaper per unit?
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I think it sets a bad example for those starting out. It is one thing to make that decision once you've gotten a hold of what you are doing with your weight loss. But for those who haven't found that happy medium, it gives them the wrong impression. Do what you need to do but I don't think it needs to be bragged about.

You do realize the hypocrisy of your statement when you look at your log-in name? Hello - you are bragging about YOUR dietary choice in that.

What is wrong with my log-in name?
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    cleaner eating really doesn't cost more, at least in my experience, because I am getting full from the lean protein and buying no snacky foods for the house anymore. If I want chips, I'll buy a fun sized bag once in a blue moon as opposed to the family sized bag I used to buy all of the time for the house.
    There's a contradiction in your comment. How is buying a "fun sized bag" once in a blue moon going to be cheaper than buying a larger bag that is cheaper per unit?

because I might buy ONE .99 cent fun sized sized bag every other month or so as opposed to buying 3 of the $3.99 family sized bags every single week. Make more sense?

ETA: I never said cheaper per unit. I said eating cleaner does not cost more in MY situation, we cut out buying junkfood that we USED to buy on a regular basis, therefore we spend LESS money for heathier foods. We also buy less milk, cheese and butter.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Organic may in some instances be cheaper than McDonalds, but on $25/person/mo, you can't eat organic OR clean. It's that simple.

Where I live organic is rarely cheaper than McD, except what I grow myself. But healthy foods bought at the grocery or farmer's market is cheaper. And I can buy ingredients for ANY food sold at McD and make a bigger version of for the same or less money. Anyone that says fast food is cheaper than home prepared food is wrong. I now have plenty of money for food. That's not meant as a brag, it is simply true. But when I was a young single mother I could rarely afford fast food or pizza or prepackaged desserts. The only way to feed my family back then was to prepare meals because it is cheaper.
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I didn't say they were.

Sure sounds like you used them interchangeably.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    ---

*sigh*

Yeah. I've been in crappy situations too. I know how much it sucks. In no way was I bragging that we have tons of money. We have a monthly food budget of less than $100 per month per person. A lot of people cannot do that. A lot of people do not believe that organic can be affordable when in reality, it is often cheaper than fast food. That was my point. But thanks for making me feel bad for no damn reason when I was just trying to help others.

She isn't the only one who thought it sounded like you were bragging about your finances. And how do you figure <$100/person/mo? There are 4.3 weeks in a month, and at $150/week, that's ~$640. You have 2 adults, 2 children, and a breastfeeding infant. Even if the infant counts as a person, and quite frankly that's pushing it, you're still spending almost $130/person/mo. Even if you round the weeks in a month off to four, it's still $120/person/mo. SO which is it? Less than $100? Or ~$130? These are the numbers you gave, and they just don't "add up."

My food budget is $476 a month for for a family of 5. If I absolutely need to, I get a little bit of extra money from my husband. But if I do, that cuts into money for other things.

ETA: I do count my baby because I'm eating almost twice my normal amount because of breastfeeding, and in another month she'll start eating solids and my budget will remain the same. And, two kids that need 1000-1200 net calories a day eat a surprising amount of food.
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    ---

Don't leave! You're 100% right! $150/week is A LOT of grocery money for two adults, two children and a breastfeeding infant. That you manage to make do with 1/2 the people on 1/12 the budget is admirable. If you can lose weight too, more power to you. You eat whatever you can get, okay?

It really isn't a lot of money. It's usually less, but for this example we'll say $150 because a nice, round number. $150 divided by 7 days equals $21.43. That, divided by four people, since technically my baby isn't eating real food (but will be in about a month) is $5.36. That, divided by 3 meals is $1.79. $1.79 per meal, per person, per day. Of course, that's leaving out snacks...

My real point was that it isn't cheaper to eat fast food. Even that $2 cheeseburger by itself without tax is more expensive than any meal I make for my family.

Except that the cheeseburger is $1, and she doesn't eat mainly FF cheeseburgers, she eats cheap crap from the food bank because they have just $0.28 per meal to work with...

Perhaps if you did the math on her budget too, you'd get it.

My original post was aimed at the people who were saying they had to get a $2 cheeseburger because eating clean was too expensive, not at this particular woman.
  • FitLink
    Options
    ---

*sigh*

My food budget is $476 a month for 5 people. If I absolutely need to, I get a little bit of extra money from my husband. But if I do, that cuts into money for other things.

I was simply using your $150/week figure. Don't know why you threw it out if it's that inaccurate. What you are now claiming is closer to $110--still far more than her $50/mo. You can see, though, why I arrived at my numbers?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

My original post was aimed at the people who were saying they had to get a $2 cheeseburger because eating clean was too expensive, not at this particular woman.

I don't get the $2 cheeseburger because its cheaper. I get it because it is convenient and I like cheeseburgers. For me, it is not a money thing, but a time thing.
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    ---

*sigh*

My food budget is $476 a month for 5 people. If I absolutely need to, I get a little bit of extra money from my husband. But if I do, that cuts into money for other things.

I was simply using your $150/week figure. Don't know why you threw it out if it's that inaccurate. What you are now claiming is closer to $110--still far more than her $50/mo. You can see, though, why I arrived at my numbers?

I do my grocery shopping weekly, every Friday. That has me going to the store 4 times a month, with the exception of one or two months that end up with 5 weeks. My goal is to not spend more than $150 a week.

And no, I don't see what numbers you arrived at. Even spending $150 a week gives me $1.79 per meal per person. For the average person, that's not a lot of money. THAT was the point that I think you are missing. Clearly, not everyone can afford to spend that much, and I think that's terrible. But, most people spend much more than that. All I was saying is that organic or clean eating can be more affordable than a lot of people think.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options

because I might buy ONE .99 cent fun sized sized bag every other month or so as opposed to buying 3 of the $3.99 family sized bags every single week. Make more sense?

ETA: I never said cheaper per unit. I said eating cleaner does not cost more in MY situation, we cut out buying junkfood that we USED to buy on a regular basis, therefore we spend LESS money for heathier foods. We also buy less milk, cheese and butter.
    Right, but if you buy a big bag AND cut down on the amount of it your eat, you save even more.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    ---

*sigh*

I do my grocery shopping weekly, every Friday. That has me going to the store 4 times a month, with the exception of one or two months that end up with 5 weeks. My goal is to not spend more than $150 a week.

And no, I don't see what numbers you arrived at. Even spending $150 a week gives me $1.79 per meal per person. For the average person, that's not a lot of money. THAT was the point that I think you are missing. Clearly, not everyone can afford to spend that much, and I think that's terrible. But, most people spend much more than that. All I was saying is that organic or clean eating can be more affordable than a lot of people think.

I also think that one of the things being left out here is location matters. If you live in a big city, your cost of living especially food cost is vastly higher than someone living in a rural area where fresh foods are a little easier to come by.
  • NoAdditives
    Options

I didn't say they were.

Sure sounds like you used them interchangeably.

Clean eating, from what I understand, is not eating processed foods. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables, cooking for yourself, etc. Eating organic can be a part of eating clean. Or am I completely off base?
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

Right, but if you buy a big bag AND cut down on the amount of it your eat, you save even more.

not if I buy a 16 oz bag and only eat 1 oz, therefore tossing 15 oz. We do not waste food or money in my house, so I'm surely not going to buy a $3.99 family sized bag of chips to eat 1 oz and toss the rest. That would be a waste of food AND money. Chips were just one example of what we no longer buy, as seen in my previous response.

So, nope, still not a contradiction in anything I've said. :flowerforyou:
  • NoAdditives
    Options

not if I buy a 16 oz bag and only eat 1 oz, therefore tossing 15 oz. We do not waste food or money in my house, so I'm surely not going to buy a $3.99 family sized bag of chips to eat 1 oz and toss the rest. That would be a waste of food AND money. Chips were just one example of what we no longer buy, as seen in my previous response.

So, nope, still not a contradiction in anything I've said. :flowerforyou:

Isn't it great how people twist words and meanings just so they can pick a fight when all you're doing is trying to offer a tip or suggestion? I love it.