50+ WOMEN for the month of JUNE

Options

Replies

• vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good afternnon ladies,
    We are hear and finally got settled in. Getting an early flight did not mean we got set up early. Took a while to gete shuttle to hotel. too early to check in. Called for rental we had already booked. They put me on hold twice, phone went dead third time. Finally got them. Only had cargo van because we were later than we had told them. Guy came to pick us up. We finally got van. they will call later to exchange it out with car. We went to Opry Mills mall for lunch. Did great on food. Actually problem will be not eating enough today. Hubby is snoring. After I let him snooze a while we wil go work out before celebrity softball game tonight. Was supposed to be really bad weather but so far so good. I am so glad I can still hear from all of you. Talk to you later when time. Keep up the good work all.
    Vicki
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies

Its another cloudy day here.

Last night I walked for about 35 minutes during a light rain. I walked normal for about 10 minutes then I tried to go as fast as I could and found myself moving my target destination for "speed walking" farther and farther away. It was comical because I was talking out loud - kiof like my own personal trainer! "Come on Heather PUSH you can do it":laugh:

I am likely going to have to break down and get my heel looked at because it feels like a spike has been hammered up the middle of my heel.

Have a great day

Heather

Hi Heather,

Wanted to take a minute to give you some info that might help with your heel. The way you describe it, you might have a heel spur. A trip to the foot doctor (aka podiatrist) might help. They may want to put you into an orthotic, but if you are not enthusiastic about spending money on something that may not be comfortable to wear in your shoes, despite what they tell you, I will give you a hint.

Check out Birkenstock shoes--the ones with the original cork footbed are probably your best bet. Another option would be the insoles available from Birkenstock. I used to work part time for a friend who owned a "Birk" store and I lost count of the number of customers who came through the day exclaiming the benefits of Birks for heel spurs and plantar fasciitis (I know this is spelled wrong).

If you have a full service store near you, they can answer questions and help you get fitted properly. If not, there is a website.

Good luck.

Barb
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    We DID get some rain... about 3/4 an inch. We'll need more before the 4th to be able to do fireworks! I burned a few extra calories helping hubby paint this afternoon. My in-laws bathroom remodel is almost finished and looking better every day. I am WAY behind on water today. Got to go drink some more. :drinker:
  • l_mahloy
    l_mahloy Posts: 118
    Options
    Hi,
    I am so tired tonight I had a tennis lesson trainer and tennis match last night then did a boot camp class at the gym this morning. I am off to bed earlyh tonight then have two tennis matches Thursday one in the a.m. and one in the p,m, I know I am too old for all this but love to exercise. My mom has been sent to a rehab center to build her strength but she hates it and will probably not stay. She is still really not able to be home you can't make someone 79 listen when their mind is functioning. Very difficult hopes my 84 year old dad can hold up thru all this. Sorry for the negative venting I am a positive person usually. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.
    Lynn
  • Lianne95519
    Lianne95519 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Well I am into day three of a bad knee flare up :sad: so I was very grateful to read Anne's share about doing the sit down work out. I can be so all or nothing in my thinking so that helped me think outside the box. I have be staying on track with my food but I did consider skipping dinner and having a big bowl of popcorn instead but all the salt would probably add a couple of pounds in water weight :drinker: which would be very discouraging and a easy excuse to give up :angry: so I talked myself out of it and am trying to drink even more water. It is helpful to read your shares and good ideas. :heart: I am going to do a workout right now without using my knees. Weights, abs and stretching is better than getting frustrated and discouraged. I am going to the doctor tomorrow to get to the bottom of my knee thing.

Thanks everyone for your uplifting and helpful posts.
    Lianne
  • committed
    committed Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

Vicki - glad to hear you made it to Nashville safe and sound. Hopefully, the rain will go around Nashville, I know it's in the forecast everyday but in TN you never know.

We were supposed to have rain today but thankfully it was a no show. It rained last night which was fine - my garden needed a drink. :bigsmile: Enough rain to dampen everything, but still dry enough that I was able to till my pea patch this afternoon and get it planted. :bigsmile: I think I finally have everything planted except for maybe some more herbs :happy: - all of the heavy work is now complete. :happy: I plan on tilling on a regular basis until everything gets too big. This year I allowed more space between the rows so maybe I can till longer and not have to do too much hoeing, although you definitely burn more calories using a hoe:laugh: :laugh:

Tomorrow I hope to work on the yard - the trim work is definitely calling. The good thing is our house is far enough off of the highway you can't tell my shrubs are actually covered in vines that aren't supposed to be there:laugh: Hopefully I can get most of it done tomorrow evening before dark.

Stayed within my calories today and with all of my exercise I treated myself to an ice cream bar and 2 Hershey's Kisses . So far I'm getting this water thing down 80 oz again today. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: I have scheduled myself to have the orange flavored water :drinker: in the morning, peach mango :drinker: with lunch, wild strawberry energy :drinker: - mid afternoon, plain water :drinker: on the drive home from work and 16 oz with my evening meal. If they only would come out with a chocolate flavor:laugh: :laugh: .So far this is working also spacing my water seems to reduce my craving for snacks that I don't need.

I had previously told my co-workers about this web site and they are all using it (they're in their 30's). The one co-worker that recently was diagnosed with diabetes uses MFP to track her sugar intake and was telling her Dr. about it and he has gone online and checked it out and said he would be recommending this site to all of his diabetes patients as a free tool to monitor their intake. He was very impressed so I'm glad I shared the information.

I hope my new cookbooks arrive tomorrow - I'm excited about treating myself to some low calorie goodies:bigsmile: It is so much easier to stay on track if you allow yourself what some consider to be forbidden foods but if you can make them where they taste good but not kill you on the calories I'm all for it:bigsmile:

Kathy,

Glad to hear you were able to get to the gym. Don't forget to post a picture of your artwork can't wait to see it:smile: Hope your Bosco is doing well - our Bosco has been pretty energetic of late for some reason he has now decided he wants to sit in your lap. Nothing like having a 40+ lb. dog jump in your lap with no warning:noway:

Gotta run:bigsmile:

Nancy:heart:
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    GOOD MORNING GIRLS, :flowerforyou:

NANCY, YOU DID GREAT , DRINKING 80 OUNCES OF WATER AND HAVING 34 CALORIES LEFT OVER.
    THAT'S WONDERFUL.:flowerforyou:

KATHY, SOME PRACTICE IN MAINTENANCE CAN'T HURT. I FOUND MAINTENANCE MUCH HARDER THAN EATING TO LOSE WEIGHT. I HOPE WW CAN HELP ME WITH THAT THIS TIME AROUND. GLAD YOU MADE IT TO THE GYM.:happy:

BECKY, MISS YOU WHEN YOU DON'T POST, BUT YOU CAN ONLY DO SO MUCH IN A DAY. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.:heart:

BARBIE, ON THE ROAD AGAIN, GREAT. ENJOY EVERYTHING. I AM NOT A BIT WORRIED ABOUT THE SNACKS YOU WILL EAT. I KNOW THEY ARE ALL HEALTHY. :smile:

SUSAN, CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR IF THE W ATER KEEPS ON WORKING AND GIVING YOU A LOSS. GOOD LUCK. :smile:

HEATHER, GREAT WORK. WALK THAT WALK GIRL.:happy: IT'S WONDERFUL HOW YOU HANDLE KAITLYN. :flowerforyou: IF ANYTHING MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL IT'S SOMEONE CRITICIZING A YOUNG PERSON. A NICE MAN I KNEW YEARS BACK HAD 3 KIDS , ALL OVER WEIGHT. HIS WIFE DIED AND HE REMARRIED A GAL WITH 2 THIN KIDS. I WAS INVITED FOR DINNER AND WAS SHOCKED TO HEAR HER ANNOUNCE LOUDLY, " NO SECONDS FOR YOU FAT GUYS, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE" SHAME ON HER. THE ONE HEAVY GIRL'S FACE TURNED ALL RED.

ESTHER, YOU WERE SICK, SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL YOU IT TAKES TIME TO GET BACK IN THE FULL SWING OF THINGS. VERY GLAD TO HEAR YOU MADE IT THROUGH THE COMPLETE WORKOUT.:happy:

VICKI, HOPE THE WEATHER WILL BE GOOD AND YOU ENJOY EVERYTHING. SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE STAYING ON TRACK. GOOD FOR YOU. :flowerforyou:

LIANNE, DON'T BE DISCOURAGED WHEN YOU HAVE A SETBACK. I USED TO BE LIKE THAT AND IT JUST LED TO OVER-EATING AND GIVING UP COMPLETELY. GOOD FOR YOU THAT YOU THOUGHT ABOUT IT AND DID NOT GIVE IN.:flowerforyou: ALSO, THE CHOICE NOT TO EAT THAT POPCORN, WAS A GOOD ONE. I HOPE YOU DID EAT SOMETHING, EVEN A LIGHT SALAD OR FRUIT. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, YOU CAN DO THIS.:happy:

HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE.:flowerforyou:

:heart: ANNE
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'd like to join your group. I'm a very slow starter, who's only lost a couple of pounds since May. Does age really factor into how quickly pounds can be lost? This is my first real attempt to lose weight in about 10 years.
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Greetings:flowerforyou:

Yesterday was my long day in the city but I managed to go for a nice long brisk walk when I returned home yesterday:smile: Even though I did lots of walking yesterday to and fro to different places I had to go to, it still always feel great to get in extra exercise.

I had the most wonderful thing happen to me yesterday. I needed to replace a couple pair of shorts that I really liked (but were way too big on me ) and had given to a friend that was ecstatic to receive them. So yesterday I went into the store where I had originally bought them (Pennington's 14+ store) when the salesperson asked me if she could help me find something and I told her shorts, she said "I don't think we will have anything to fit you, you're too little". Well you could have blown me away with a feather, in my almost 52 years of age I do not recall anyone ever saying that to me:blushing:

It is those comments that helps me keep my goal in focus. To those of you that have worked so hard to achieve your goals I am inspired by you:heart: To those of us that are diligently working towards our goals we can/will do this, some of us it may take a little longer but ultimately it can be obtained. ((((((HUGS))))) to all:flowerforyou:

Marie:heart:
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Marie, what a great story!!! That is very encouraging. Well you have lost 35 pounds and that's quite a lot. You're inspiring. :flowerforyou:

Wishful, welcome! As you can see, this is a great thread.
    I do think age is a factor in losing weight. I believe the metabolism slows so we need to take in fewer calories than when we were younger and need to exercise even more to burn them. Ugh!:explode:

Lianne, sorry to hear about your knee. It is so hard not to be able to do what you want or need to do. I hope that, with some rest, you'll be fully mobile again.

I'm glad I can keep moving since I need to burn calories. I just had a big lunch. My Zumba class gave me a huge appetite. But, I'm going to go get some water and review my goals for the month of June so I will try harder to stay within my calories for a change.

Have a good day all.
    Zaza
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    For reasons unknown to me I woke up fighting the depression monster today and have been on the verge of tears all morning. :cry: Running errands all morning solo didn't help. A retired school counselor once told me sunshine is a good pick me up. So instead of binging on chocolate, which is what I used to do, I am going to catch a few rays while I pull weeds. Hopefully a good dose of nature and vitamin D will do the trick!
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I had the most wonderful thing happen to me yesterday. I needed to replace a couple pair of shorts that I really liked (but were way too big on me ) and had given to a friend that was ecstatic to receive them. So yesterday I went into the store where I had originally bought them (Pennington's 14+ store) when the salesperson asked me if she could help me find something and I told her shorts, she said "I don't think we will have anything to fit you, you're too little". Well you could have blown me away with a feather, in my almost 52 years of age I do not recall anyone ever saying that to me:blushing:

It is those comments that helps me keep my goal in focus. To those of you that have worked so hard to achieve your goals I am inspired by you:heart: To those of us that are diligently working towards our goals we can/will do this, some of us it may take a little longer but ultimately it can be obtained. ((((((HUGS))))) to all:flowerforyou:

Marie:heart:

How exciting! You should be walking around with the biggest ol' grin on your face right now.:happy: You give me hope.
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Susan, I wonder if hormones have something to do w/that. At our age, we know that eventually the feeling will pass, but right now while you're feeling low - be nice to yourself and do what you need to do to feel better. However, try to avoid eating since I have found that it just makes me feel worse in the long run. Maybe there's somehting else you can do that would be a treat for you - a bubble bath, the hairdresser, reading a book, taking a walk.
    Feel better! :flowerforyou:
    Zaza
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    WELCOME WISHFUL, THERE IS NO HURRY TO LOSE. WHAT COUNTS IS TO STAY ON TRACK. THIS IS A LIFESTYLE CHANGE FOR US. YES, UNFORTUNATELY AFTER 50 IT IS HARDER TO LOSE WEIGHT. YOU SHOULD EAT ALL DAY LONG TO KEEP YOUR METABOLISM GOING AND EXERCISE. I BELIEVE STRONGLY IN WRITING DOWN WHAT YOU EAT.:grumble: MOST PEOPLE DON'T LIKE DOING THAT, SO IT IS A HARD SELL. ENTERING ALL YOUR FOODS ON THIS GREAT SITE IS THE SAME THING. EAT HEALTHY HAVE SOME FUN EXERCISING BY DOING THINGS YOU LIKE AND BEFORE YOU KNOW IT, YOU WILL BE AT YOUR GOAL. :happy: WISH YOU SUCCESS.

MARIE, GREAT UPLIFTING STORY AND ALL YOUR COMMENTS ARE WONDERFUL TO READ.:flowerforyou: I STILL LOOK IN THE PLUS SIZE SECTION AND USUALLY CAN'T FIND
    ANYTHING. IT IS SO NICE TO BUY IN THE REGULAR MISSES SIZE AREA.:happy: OLD HABITS
    ARE HARD TO KILL. MY FRIEND TELLS ME AHEAD OF TIME NOT TO WASTE TIME IN THE
    PLUS SECTION AND I KNOW SHE IS RIGHT. I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU. :happy:

ZAZA, GLAD YOU ARE WORKING HARD TO MEET THE GOALS FOR JUNE. :flowerforyou: YOU
    WILL DO IT. HAVE A GREAT DAY.GOOD ADVICE FOR SUSAN.

ANNE
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies:flowerforyou:

I did not get to the gym today. I had to do some errands and check up on my parents.

Esther :flowerforyou: I am holding my own. I don't think I will be losing much this month but, I'm ok with that. Got to keep trying. After all this is a long term commitment:bigsmile:

Vicki:flowerforyou: Glad you made it safe. Also sound like your doing good in the eating department:bigsmile:

Barb:flowerforyou: I have a pair of Birkenstock sandals and just love the support in them.

Sue:flowerforyou: Burn those calories anyway you can.

Lynn:flowerforyou: I wish I could lean tennis but, I just don't think I could fit it in at this point. Great job!!!

Lianne:flowerforyou: Good luck at the Doctor

Nancy:flowerforyou: I sent you an e-mail of the building. :bigsmile:

Anne:flowerforyou: Hope your feeling better.

Wishful:flowerforyou: Welcome! You will find this group fun and supportive.

Marie:flowerforyou: How nice being told you are to small for 14+. Had to be a great feeling.

Zaza:flowerforyou: Glad to see you!! Yes, over eating will make you feel bad in the long run. I sure know that.

Barbie:flowerforyou: Hope you are enjoying yourself. I know I would be.:tongue:

And to all the other ladies:flowerforyou: Keep up the great work!!!

I know I have not chatted like this in a while. But, just wanted to catch up.

:heart: Kathy
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Good Day

How you ladies do personal responses blows me away. I would be afraid I would forget someone!!! I'm going to practice that in my spare time.

Anyway I am mental busy these days and I have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed:laugh: I feel like everyone is taking advantage of me (kids, husband, BOSSES) and that gives me the blues. Oh well tomorrow is another day:flowerforyou: This will be a good test to see if I turn to food or stay on plan. I'm feeling like I'll be able to keep control of my emotional eating so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I really just need some vacation but unfortunately I need to take the money in lieu of time off - so no rest for the wicked:laugh:

Back to the daily goals
    Today I will:
    drink 6 waters
    eat lots of fruit and veggies
    eat mindfully
    have patience
    exercise away 300 calories

Talk to you tomorrow
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Good Day

How you ladies do personal responses blows me away. I would be afraid I would forget someone!!! I'm going to practice that in my spare time.

The secret to doing responses is to compose your post in a word processing program, or in notepad or wordpad, which comes on all versions of windows, then you can navigate the page and see all the people you respond to. The added bonus is that you can save your work as you go, so if you have a 4 legged distraction jumping in your lap, all of your work typed directly into the thread window does not magically "disappear". :grumble: Pepper (my Shih tzu for those new to the thread) means well, but he is more effective than white out at making things disappear. A lap dog does not mix well with a lap top!!:laugh:

After you are finished composing, just copy and paste into the thread window, add your emoticons and abracadabra, a post that covers everyone that you want to respond to.:drinker:

Another option is to have TWO windows of MFP active on your desktop--one to write with and one to view, so you can see the other comments as you go.

Hope this helps.:smile:

I have been reading and not posting lately. I haven't had the time to share some stories. One of them involves a friend whose cat decided to bring a live rabbit into the house at 2:30a on a Saturday morning, and the other involves an interesting dinner that I attended--I was invited to the house of my ex-husbands girlfriend!! That, ladies, is known as a "teaser" in the tv news world, so I will leave you "teased" with the promise of "more to come" though no "film at 11".

Have a good day. I have doggies to walk and then it is time to go back and do the last 4 hours of my workday.

Barb
  • ellens292
    ellens292 Posts: 176
    Options
    Good Day

Back to the daily goals
    Today I will:
    drink 6 waters
    eat lots of fruit and veggies
    eat mindfully
    have patience
    exercise away 300 calories

Talk to you tomorrow

:smile: I see by your ticker, Barb, that you have lost 28lbs already, that inspires me to keep on. Whoops, Barb, sorry , I looked again and yours is 18, it's Benson 28:smile: I'll be glad when I get to that point.:smile:

:smile: Anne, VERY nice to buy nonplus size, lots more selection.

Plant lady, Kathy :smile: I guess I have read your posts before but haven't responded to you before. I've been around since april but had lost some weight before. Now I'm back in the 100 Club ie under 200 and that feels good.

Ellen
  • l_mahloy
    l_mahloy Posts: 118
    Options
    Hello Ladies,
    My mom was sent back to the hospital last night the good news is she told me this morning that she is willing to consider all treatment options now this is BIG for my mom she is very afraid of everything! So I am very thankful today and hopeful that she can get some relief now.
    Benson hang in there it is hard when everyone is pulling you.
    I leave in a few minutes to play my Sr. tennis match. Today I went to lunch with friends we went to Longhorns. I ordered the Chicken strawberry salad and was shocked when I came home and logged it in and found out it is over 900 calories YIKESSSSSSS! I will have to burn a ton of calories with tennis tonight or I am doomed today. :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • janebrown
    janebrown Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, Im janebrown and I joined two days ago. I am 61, a walker, but it's too hot to walk now. I could use some insite and inspiration. I was to lose 10 pounds. I'm glad to know there are ladies out there struggling, just like me.