worst comment ever made about your weight

Options

Replies

• dandybug
    dandybug Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend said to me that my *kitten* was getting wider. He said this while I was getting dressed. Even though I've lost all the weight I needed to, I'm still uncomfortable with him seeing me naked.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend said to me that my *kitten* was getting wider. He said this while I was getting dressed. Even though I've lost all the weight I needed to, I'm still uncomfortable with him seeing me naked.

I think it's time for a new boyfriend. That was nasty.
  • sehrler
    sehrler Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    As all of you, I've had quite a few mean comments (some even back in HS days when I was FAR from overweight, wtf did I believe them for back then???). But the one that takes the cake is my EX-husband about 10 years ago. He coached my son's Little League baseball team and I was there (as I was every single game/practice) and I went up to him after the game to congratulate him and tell them how proud I was of them.

Ex hissed at me, "Don't stand next to me! I'm embarrassed to be seen with you, you disgust me!". He said it low but it was overheard and it was like a knife in my heart. Took me a few more years of that kind of mean abuse to gather the courage to get my divorce underway but I did it. Funny how during the separation (we had to share the house until things were settled so we lived War of the Roses style in separate parts of the house) he would be downstairs when I'd be working out on my elliptical on the way to losing 90 lbs and once said, "I hate that machine, every squeak and turn of the wheel I know you're running further away from me"...hell YEAH I was.

The best part is, I am marrying my soul mate in August and I know 100% for sure he would NEVER say something like that to me, or even think it--he loves me overweight or not. I wonder why people can be so cruel and then wonder why they are alone, lonely and abandoned. Very sad, and I don't wish it on EX...I just wish he would find happiness but I highly doubt such a miserable man will ever be truly happy.
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My grandmother, at my engagement party over ten years ago (I never did marry that guy) informed the whole room, his family and mine that I was way too fat, har har har. I got so drunk that someone carried me to bed. Backstory is too long - but I hadn't spoken to my family for a long time and it was just a really inappropriate thing. (also I was a UK size 10 at the time)

My mother was giving me a recipe and she said about browning the beef and draining it. And she paused and said "well, you probably don't drain the fat out!".

The guy I had a huge crush on as a fat teenager had a one night stand with me as a thin 18 year old because I looked so much nicer.

"Fat *****"

A coworker was talking about someone and said "I mean, they are even bigger than you!" - I was 220#.

Another coworker noticed my pants were loose and said that she had a pair that were too big for her and would surely fit. The pants were size us6. I was a size us14.

"you weigh how much?? I didn't think you were that fat" ... yeah, I am.

Recently as I lose there is a lady that sees me each weekend that insists on telling me I look sick and need to eat more and I'm getting too skinny. I am a size us12 now - was a size us20. I don't want to stop - I'm still over weight and how many times will she make me explain out loud in-front of people that I still need to lose. She also waits for the dining room (where I take my client to eat) to fill up and asks me how many calories I eat and what I'm doing - so that everyone hears.

My daughter plays with my stomach fat if I take a bath with her (she's 5).
    Also she has said I have a big bottom more times than I'd like to remember. And "you're FAT mama" - but seriously, she meant it as a compliment. She has said "I hope I am fat just like you when I grow up" which broke my heart. I will teach her how to have a healthy relationship with food and exercise as best I can.

ALSO RE. CHILDREN SAYING THINGS
    my 5 year old LOVES pregnant bellies. I mean, she adores them and loves them and will look at them all day. so unfortunately I have had the pleasure of seeing an overweight woman and having my kid shout "she has a baby in her tummy" - which puts me in an even awkwarder situation when I don't know if the woman is preggo or not. I just tell her it's impolite to stare - I won't say "she's just overweight" because she will start saying that!
    She has also noticed people who are obese (400/500lbs) and she stares. I'm sorry. I try to not make it obvious or pull her away or I say "yes, there is a nice man/lady walking over there" or whatever. It's difficult.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    DANGGGGGGGGG you have gotten SOOOOOOOO Big..and they said it just like I typed it....How do you come back and say something from that.....then came but I am sure you have been going thru something..Well if I was I am definitely down at my lowest now... UGH
  • Cristina721
    Options
    Always been a big girl as long as I can remember and have been bullied about it my whole life. Sadly though, the one that stays with me is from when I was 10 years old and I was talking to my grandmother on the phone.

"Grandma, I love you."

"I love you too... but I would love you more if you weren't so fat."

{{{{{Hugs}}}}}} That's the saddest thing I have ever read.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    My wife is pregnant...my 3 year old son sees her belly and knows there's a baby inside. A week or two ago he walked up to me and patted my belly and said "You having a baby?"
  • TakeMyTai
    TakeMyTai Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was 16, four years prior to joining the military, and working as a donation attendant at a local Goodwill. One of the children in the backseat looks at me, then looks at their mother and said - "Mommy, she's pregant, just like you!"
    The lady looks at me and goes, "Yes she is honey. When are you due?"

Turns out I actually had a tumor and a huge cycst growing in my adominal cavity.. so I suppose they weren't that far off.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Your story made me feel so sad for you. I hope you find your confidence and self esteem back. Remember, we may be over weight but we are nice people. We can lose the weight and still be nice, sensitive and caring human beings. What are they to make those kind of remarks?
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Right after the birth of baby number #8 .. my grandmother and aunt came to see us in the hospital.. neither of them had seen me in 3 years and the first thing out of their mouths was" oh My gosh you're fat!! Are you SURE you had a baby?.. haven't you ever heard of weight watchers!".
    Wow! .lets not mention the fact that I was being watched during the last trimester for pre-eclampsia and had steadily rising blood pressure and was retaining a lot of water.. but really ..rude much?? You haven't laid eyes on me in 3 years and are always complaining that we don't come to see you and that is the only thing you have to say..really??
    and they wonder why they only see us every few years!
  • taliasometimes
    taliasometimes Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    some of these are heartbreaking.

Mines not so bad but it stung.
    i was 199 lbs at the time, and must have been blind cos i didnt have a clue i was that heavy and didnt really think i looked big. (it hadnt hit me yet) and i was at the hair dressers and she was saying stuff to me like

"i love your style , u have your own thing going on, and the weight suits you! pleasantly plump, dear! It actually looks good"

i was like...."ohmygod"
  • Squeezie88
    Squeezie88 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    well for starters you are all beautiful people and deserve complete recognition for all the effort you're making to be a healthier and fitter you!!

Mine doesn't seem that bad, but it's kind of a two-parter and stung.

I was staying at my brothers place and he looked at me and said, "wow, you really have put on weight", and I said, "Yeah, I told you that I put on a few kilos", and he comes back with, "Yeah, but now you look like you've REALLY let go" ... at that stage I'd put on about 10 kilos (22 lbs) in less than 9 months.

Then his 2 year old daughter came up and hugged me around my legs and said "chubbly" ... it was all I could do not to cry in front of her.

That was about 4 months ago and I've lost about 4kgs and have lost width in my thighs and waist. So thanks for the pushing there brother!
  • 2kidsandadonut
    2kidsandadonut Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    After dating my husband for almost 10 years we announced our engagement. My mother in law looks at me and says "Is Missy pregnant because I've noticed she's been getting bigger." I wanted to die but only after I buried her body!
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    oh I should also add...

One day a couple weeks before christmas I was talking to my manager about what to get my wife for christmas. She suggested PJ's from Victorias Secret. I planned that day to go on my lunch to the nearby mall and get some...As we were having the discussion though a co-worker walked up and said "What are you going to Victorias Secret for? A Bra?"

Not gonna lie...I laughed.
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    I can't really narrow it down to one specific comment as there are so many -

This weekend from friends -

'Have a cheeseburger'
    ''I don't want to hug you incase I break you'
    'You're not my type. I like girls with t*ts and a**'
    'Hey fatty' - sarcasm.

but then I had a different friend come up to me and say -

'You're looking really good Lucy. All that hard work is paying off'

>_<
  • brocksmom
    brocksmom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hugs to everyone that shared:flowerforyou:

Karen
  • jbrow2487
    jbrow2487 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Mine was more funny/misunderstanding than mean, but it still made me go "ummmm". I had a coworker (who worked in the same building but didn't know who I was), come up to me one VERY cold afternoon and told me that I should stay "bundled up for 2". Now to be fair, I was wearing my winter coat, a sweater underneath and a scarf, so I bet I did have a bit of bulk under my coat. But I was like...whaaaaaat? I was too stunned to correct him and just kept walking. Apparently I'm not the only one at work that he has said pregnancy comments to :P so it wasn't just be, but still pretty inappropriate!
  • buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    In 4th grade, I went to a private school and my sister was dating the most popular guy in 8th grade. He'd have his friends follow him around and say things like "Got some butter for those rolls." And "You don't have boobs yet, you're just fat." (Since I had to start wearing bras before most of my other classmates). He actually also hit me and spit in my face, but now that I'm not a little 4th grader, I know he was just an abusive person and it had nothing to do with me.

I'm also not a fan of the "You aren't THAT fat" or "You aren't fat, you're thick" comments. It's like the people who think "You aren't ugly" is actually a compliment.

When I was 17, I was at the fair and a guy asked me when I was due in an attempt to hit on me. I found it really strange, but I didn't even consider myself fat at the time much less pregnant looking. I'd just lost weight and was wearing a junior's size 9.
  • Ericacastillo
    Ericacastillo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    OMG!! UGH I HATE THAT PEOPLE HAVE SAID THIS ISH TO YOU GUYS!!! PEOPLE ARE SO MEAN!! mine isn't as bad but i got it all the time and it always stung that i couldn't stick to my diet. =(

People always and i mean always said!!!!! "you are so beautiful!!! and you have the most amazing personality!!! those two things make you the perfect catch!! if you just lost a few pounds you would be PERFECT!" then i meet this amazing guy that i truly loved and even his sister said "you are perfect!!! youre the only girl we've ever liked but you should lose a few pounds he likes his girls skinny! no offense or anything we just want you to stay!!" as if my relationship was riding on that! jerks! lol need less to say it didn't work out and i was so crushed! and i always thought of what his sister told me and wondered if that had anything to do with it. I really hurt my self esteem.

I truly kid you not!! everytime someone said that to me i would go eat lol and felt like crap!!! =/ I would think why can't i just be skinny!! i hated myself and didn't see anything good in me and i was truly miserable!!
  • hedwighigh
    hedwighigh Posts: 299
    Options
    I hid my weight pretty well and about a year ago I showed my boyfriend at the time my stomach. He tried to break up with me not long after that because he no longer found me attractive. Thing is that he weighed about the same as me, I just have a bit more loose skin which made everything look worse. He tried to break up with me several times because he found "every other girl on campus more attractive." Funny thing is that he commented to a friend on how I must have "cleaned up" after we broke up :noway:

The best revenge is getting a new boyfriend who is 100 times more attractive and nicer. Now he (ex) walks around looking miserable.