worst comment ever made about your weight

Options

Replies

• phillieschic
    Options
    When introducing my cousin and I to a friend, my grandmother said, "This is Christy (my cousin)....she's the pretty one. And, this is Jennifer (me)...well, she has a pretty face but look at the rest of her..."

Nice, eh?
  • modernartemis
    modernartemis Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I came back to my old job to help out over the summer (college student) and a woman came in and asked me when I had my baby. I told her I never had a baby, that I was gone for school. Then she replied "Oh, because you gained so much weight. I thought you were pregnant." I replied "thanks for letting me know" (Like I didn't know I gained weight!)

I overheard my supposed bff say "she's such a lard *kitten* now" at her wedding :(

Family can be the worst- for me it is my sister. She is 20 and can eat whatever she wants and doesn't gain a pound, my father is the same way. She eats HUGE starbucks muffins, creamy lattes, pasta dishes, taco bell, etc. EVERY DAY. She doesn't understand what it is like at all. Sometimes she gets my trigger foods and leaves them around the house. I asked her one day to hide them from me so I am not temped to eat them. She just looked at me and in an annoyed tone said "Why should I have to suffer because you eat too much, just don't eat it. What's so hard about that"

Easily said by someone who has never had to diet a day in their life. I wanted to pick up her 100 lb butt and throw her out the window!!!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Gotta be a tie (like others, I have a hard time narrowing it down when there have been so many). The first? When I was in fourth grade or so? I had been a normal-sized kid until the end of second grade, when the weight came piling on at a terrifying rate. My dad, at the dinner table, started making snorting noises and offered to drop me off at the dump with a fork. Understand that I didn't get to load my plate--my parents put the food on my plate, and if I didn't finish everything on the plate, I got grounded, shouted at, or forced to eat the food (which would be left out all night) the next morning. Plus, no clean plate, no dessert. Yeah, a recipe for obesity in a kid, and yet my dad called ME a pig for how much I ate. The second "worst" comment? A gaggle of teenage girls in the grocery store, traveling in a pack. They spotted me and burst out laughing, pointing, and then one said, very loudly, "If I ever look like that, PROMISE me you'll kill me!" As an overweight adult, I've come to fear a lot of people, but teenagers most of all.
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    This weekend, my god-daughter called me fat.

Actually it went like this:
    "Look at your belly, Ali! It's big and fat like a balloon! Look how fat it is!!!"
    ...in front of everyone (of course...)

Yes, she's 5, and yes, kids say the darned'est things, but it made me feel like ****. This is the second time in a row that I've seen her when she's called me fat.

Last time was at a winter carnival with a bounce house, and she told me I couldn't go bc I'd "probably break it since I was so fat". Ugh. She's like a 5-yr-old bully.

And while I know I shouldn't be irritated with her...the fact remains that she couldn't say it if I WASN'T fat. So...........HELLO, NEW MOTIVATION!!!!!!!!!!!

I've needed this, maybe. While her comments DID make me go to the bathroom and cry in the middle of dinner out...she also gave me the new drive I needed.

It was mean of her to say, and rude, and her mom didn't do a thing to stop it. I would have been MORTIFIED if my kid ever said that.

Regardless, I WILL lose this weight, and she will NEVER be able to call me fat again. (little brat...)
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    My grandpa sat me on his lap when I was about 13 years old and explained to me that if I didn't lose any weight I'd never find someone who would want to marry me.

Ohhh! Yeah, see, my dad did something just like that, only his was, "You have to be smart, because no one is ever going to want you for the way you look."

Thanks, Dad. Appreciate it.
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    and may I say, that all of these are awful!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I was at the amusement park when I was in my teens, settling into my seat for the ride, and the carney says to me "suck it in, fatty" as he closed the harness (which, might I add, was not having difficulty closing.)
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Ive had so many, but one that sticks in my head all the time was - u only have big boobs because the fat has no where else to go - ouch!! x
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I was told by a doctor who I consulted with about doing my hysterectomy that because I was so fat, it would take them an extended time to cut through all the fat. He also told me in a clipped, condescending tone, (all the while clapping his hands) that Fat America is the reason our healthcare system has so many problems. It's you fat people that make it more expensive for people like me."

Needless to say, he wasn't the one who did my surgery. Furthermore, I didn't shed a tear when he got indicted on killing a patient.
  • peggya1026
    Options
    I could give you a lifetime of them and they are all from my own mother. A few of my favorites: "Maybe you'd be able to meet a nice man if you'd lose 20 lbs." "I don't see how you are going to be able to put on a bathing suit this year." and the most recent "I don't think I have ever seen you this fat.".

Gotta love mom.
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Always been a big girl as long as I can remember and have been bullied about it my whole life. Sadly though, the one that stays with me is from when I was 10 years old and I was talking to my grandmother on the phone.

"Grandma, I love you."

"I love you too... but I would love you more if you weren't so fat."

Sounds like you might be related to me. I've heard my mother say that to my nieces. One of the reasons I have very little to do with the pathetic woman.

ouch :(

Wow...that one takes the cake.....
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Your biggest nightmare can be when your husband "loudly" judges other women and their size in front of you! Oh, yes he did. Notice I said "did"!!!
    Can I say that I am truely sorry and heartfelt for all of the ugly things that people have said in the past. Words can really hurt and last forever! Best wishes to all!
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    While laying in the tub, I said to my ex-husband, "Look, honey, my boobs float and look all perky!" And HE said, "Yeah, but your *kitten* is looking really wide."

So I left that *kitten*. :wink:
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    This weekend, my god-daughter called me fat.

Actually it went like this:
    "Look at your belly, Ali! It's big and fat like a balloon! Look how fat it is!!!"
    ...in front of everyone (of course...)

Yes, she's 5, and yes, kids say the darned'est things, but it made me feel like ****. This is the second time in a row that I've seen her when she's called me fat.

Last time was at a winter carnival with a bounce house, and she told me I couldn't go bc I'd "probably break it since I was so fat". Ugh. She's like a 5-yr-old bully.

And while I know I shouldn't be irritated with her...the fact remains that she couldn't say it if I WASN'T fat. So...........HELLO, NEW MOTIVATION!!!!!!!!!!!

I've needed this, maybe. While her comments DID make me go to the bathroom and cry in the middle of dinner out...she also gave me the new drive I needed.

It was mean of her to say, and rude, and her mom didn't do a thing to stop it. I would have been MORTIFIED if my kid ever said that.

Regardless, I WILL lose this weight, and she will NEVER be able to call me fat again. (little brat...)

I gotta disagree--you SHOULD be irritated with her. Five years old isn't too young to be taught manners. If her mother won't do it, you probably should. Any child who said "you're fat!" to me would get the answer "and you're mean--you make me sad when you say mean things, you make me want to cry, you make me not want to be around you anymore. When you say mean things like that, it makes people stop liking you. Do you want me to stop liking you?" Sounds harsh, but it's the absolute truth, and better she learn it from someone who cares about her than she learn it in a few years from kids who want to kick her behind for her rudeness.

I'm sorry--I wish she hadn't said those things to you, and I wish her mother would step up and PARENT.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I am a dance instructor. I teach ballet, lyrical, jazz, cheer and hiphop.
    I was always really skinny until I was blessed with my beautiful daughter, and ever since, I have struggled with my weight.
    Anyways, one of the dance moms so kindly stated "I always thought dance teachers had to be in good shape"

I always thought parents had to be mature! :ohwell:
  • thinmintme
    thinmintme Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    "She'd be really pretty if she'd just lose some weight"

To this day, I still can't see myself 'getting over' that comment. It was terrible.
  • modernartemis
    modernartemis Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Gotta be a tie (like others, I have a hard time narrowing it down when there have been so many). The first? When I was in fourth grade or so? I had been a normal-sized kid until the end of second grade, when the weight came piling on at a terrifying rate. My dad, at the dinner table, started making snorting noises and offered to drop me off at the dump with a fork. Understand that I didn't get to load my plate--my parents put the food on my plate, and if I didn't finish everything on the plate, I got grounded, shouted at, or forced to eat the food (which would be left out all night) the next morning. Plus, no clean plate, no dessert. Yeah, a recipe for obesity in a kid, and yet my dad called ME a pig for how much I ate. The second "worst" comment? A gaggle of teenage girls in the grocery store, traveling in a pack. They spotted me and burst out laughing, pointing, and then one said, very loudly, "If I ever look like that, PROMISE me you'll kill me!" As an overweight adult, I've come to fear a lot of people, but teenagers most of all.

That is so mean! I don't understand why girls feel the need to constantly insult each other. I hate when women make comments like that. At least you can lose weight- they will always be shallow.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    "When are you due?"

:grumble:
  • DANCHAN1
    DANCHAN1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have a couple....my sister who is 1 year older has always been skinny, she was a size 2 I was a size 14. My parents friends use to get our names mixed up and one time we were probably around 13 & 14 and my dad corrected their friends and said I don't know how you cannot tell them apart one looks like a broom and the other looks like a vaccuum cleaner. I go to Montreal every year for a week for my job my weight always fluctuates. A co-worker from Montreal asked my boss who are we going to see when she gets here a big one or smaller one. There are so many more just like I am sure most of you too have many to share. These are the first two that popped in my head.

Funny how words can hurt so much.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    A guy I was romantically involved with called me "fluffy"...AFTER we were over and I lost 25 pounds from when we were together.

I wanted to ask him "If I was fluffy when I'm now SMALLER than we were together, what was I when we were together?"