worst comment ever made about your weight

Options

Replies

• Mrs2bo
    Mrs2bo Posts: 3
    Options
    Pevious comment is directed at "goodnewsdocs". I'm new here, lol.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    when i was about 11 i was going to an in home day care. every day the son of the day care providers (he was about 15) would get his friends together and would taunt me with supid songs.

erin bo barron the big fat fo ferrin. i heard that over and over. there was also erin's too fat to ride the bus! over and over. that last one doesnt even make sense since i rode the bus there with all the other kids.

i spent most of my time at that place crying behind the couch. and i wasnt fat, i was a big girl, but i was muscular. i just had a layer of baby fat. kids can be so cruel.
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'll never forget mine!

I had picked out my prom dress for senior prom. I went for my fitting and brought my mom. I was not a dress person, so this was the first dress I had worn since my mother was dressing me (so...kindergarden? Ha ha!). I loved the dress, and felt great in it! I couldn't wait to show her!

Well, she took one look and the first thing she said was, "Honey, you really need to lose weight."

Not the worst comment for a person to make, but coming from her at that moment? I was crushed! I instantly felt fat and gross in it. I had already put my downpayment on it, so I had to I buy the dress even though I felt horrible in it. It made me feel fat and disgusting during prom, and its only now (I'm 29) when I'm even considering trying a dress on again.

Now that I'm getting married soon, I'm still debating whether or not I want my mother present during wedding dress hunting and fittings.

NOOOO!!! Don't take her! I bought my wedding dress a beautiful simple dress, off the shoulder with a lace-up back. My mom hated it and insisted on buying me a new dress. She got this horrible strapless ornate thing with pearls and gyms all over it. It was too short with heels and just not my style. I was not comfortable in it. I wore it cause it cost her $800 and she had to buy it for me and wouldn't take no for an answer. Luckily, we had a smaller ceremony in Europe for our friends and I wore my $20 gown. Don't take people with you that won't support your decisions, just saying.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My father when I was a teenager: "It's a good thing you're smart becuase no man will ever want to marry you" and "if you keep eating so many sweets, you won't fit through the door soon" - the last one was particularly ironic because he was a baker and kept bringing home the sweets.

My ex-husband: "I deserve to be with someone thin and pretty. Why am I wasting my life with you?" and "I married you because I knew a fat girl would never leave me." Thankfully he was WRONG... I kicked him to the curb 3 years ago. :smile:

Teachers: "No one expects you to be pretty because you're so smart."

Friends: "You were so much prettier when you were thin. What happened?"

But the absolute best has to be my mom on my wedding day: "You look so beautiful today. Too bad you're going to look like **** again tomorrow"
  • MzMandi1025
    MzMandi1025 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    When I was 23 & 8 mos preggers with my daughter a manager came in to check in with us to see how our day was going. She got into talking about a cruise she took recently to Alaska. I said that I really wanted to take that cruise but would now have to wait until after the baby was born. She got a shocked look on her face & said, "Oh! So you are pregnant? I was wondering but didn't want to say anything because I didn't want to offend you." I know I was overweight, but I always carried the excess weight in my lower body, & it was a pretty obvious baby bump.
    The other one was at my daughters well baby check. The pediatrician was commenting on how my daughter was taller & weighed more than most kids in her age group, but she was proportionate. He noticed how short I was, I'm 5'1 & asked where her height came from. I said my husband is 6'7. He was like, "Well, it seems like she got her height from your husband & her weight from you." Then he proceeded to lecture me on how I need to get down to a healthy weight. I think that those were the 2 worst comments I've ever gotten regarding my weight.
  • Lovely_Doll
    Options
    When I was about 9 or 10, my dad would continuously call me fat. And I was, at that age, I was actually overweight. But you know what? I was happy with myself. Now I've got an eating disorder and I know for a fact I'll never be completely satisfied with the way I look.
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    From ex wife:

* "You're so fat... you're wasting my youth! I am embarrassed to be seen with you"

* During sex, she stops me in the middle of it and runs to the toilet and starts gagging and then says I disgust her.

Random assorted things from the years

* Running at the park, I pass a slender girl in her 20s who is running ackwardly. One of those lucky people that obviously never really does any exercise or doesn't know how to run at the least, but stays looking in shape. Her boyfriend is in front of her and he sees me pass her and goes "oh no! HELL NO! There's no way you just let that fat f**k pass you! Get your *kitten* moving!" He was one of those alpha types with the gym rat bodies.

* Running at the park during soccer practice with my team. Group of college girls is running. One points at me and says "ewww look at his belly".

* Running at the park I pass a guy and his little girl who are running. She says "daddy why did you let the fat man pass you?" And he replies "shhhh honey we don't call people fat that's not nice"

* At the gym, I smiled at a girl who looked at me like I was a cockroach and said "dream on, I don't date fatties".

* At one of our irish pubs a couple years ago. I was standing waiting in line and this guy was trying to impress his college-aged girlfriend. He started making rude comments about how fat people need removed from the planet because they are in his way and taking up space and eating all of the food. The girl giggles.

* At the gym I was in a corner doing some dumbbell work and this precious Barbie with full make up is lifting with her boyfriend. She was seated next to the rack where the weights were. I was putting my weights away and had to move around her and she gets this annoyed look on her face, and then turns to her boyfriend and says in a mock-whisper (so that others can hear) "I can't stand going to the gym during this time, too many fat people here wasting everybody's time"

I have more. Those were the ones that stuck out this morning. Being fat is the equivalent of being a leper in the middle ages. It's pretty dehumanizing... but makes for great motivation and fuel for your workouts.

I know people can be cruel, but it is truly hard for me to see people saying some of what you typed.

I was called pleasantly plump in highschool, curvy and size 8 looks chubby no matter what.

You have obviously never been that size then I get comments like THIS all the time, daily even... and that is from family and not in a joking way
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options

You have obviously never been that size then I get comments like THIS all the time, daily even... and that is from family and not in a joking way

Family is sometimes the worst. They convince themselves that they're being supportive rather than cruel... often they are the main cause to why we have issues with our self-image in the first place!!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    “You look too skinny.”
    I would never dream of telling someone they look too chubby!
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Ha. I was teased and everything all the way through high school. And onwards, I've had comments from job interviewers and all sorts about my weight. '

I learnt that if you have as big as personality as your body, people back down. If you over hear and stare at them for their comment, they usually blush and say omg idk why I said that. I usually take them down with some put down self deprecating comment. My favourite was when I was out walking along to my Ipod one day in the last year of school, and a couple of guys started mock jogging behind me trying to get around me on the pavement. I turned my music off, and heard one say 'Dyou think this one sank a battleship?' to which I replied; No, I'm the one that sank the titanic, and I'll squash you next if you don't get out of my way!' He got out of my way. The result with the force of character was that the guy stopped looking at me as a fatty and started seeing me as a person. It culminated six months later with him asking me out, much to his own shock as my own I think lol. Needless to say I refused. I was worth more then him.

Don't let them get away with it. To heck with politeness, shame and all those other social cues. You are out there trying to make a difference in your life, and if these other losers need a confidence boost/show off by making you look bad, then you go make em look bad in return.

@rk
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    it may not seem bad to some
    but one day at work i was getting ready to leave and zipped up my coat. i know it was tight, and i had to suck in to get it closed. but my manager said something like "oh looks like you need to go up to a Large. *haha*" the coat was a size small juniors...
  • rhiannsu
    rhiannsu Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I feel very fortunate that I haven't had to deal with the horrible things that have been posted here! Mine isn't nearly as bad, but it still stung at the time. A girlfriend and I were discussing about how her husband smokes pot more than she would like, and she said, "but it's an addiction for him, kind of like you are addicted to food."

Hmm...don't see her much anymore.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    When I was bigger: When are you due? Are you having boy or girl? Urghhh

Currently: You look too skinny, are you have some problems with food? I want to challenge this people in the moment to a push up or pull up competition to see if I am skinny or just fit and lean.
  • ottingmom
    Options
    I was a teen mom and got married to my husband when our son was 15 months old, I had just graduated from high school, and had turned18 three months earlier. I had weighed 125lbs and was fairly attractive before I got pregnant, I gained over 60lbs with our son of which I haven't been able to lose. On my wedding day, my dad's girlfriend walked in and very disgustedly asked me if I was pregnant again.....it killed me, my dad just stood there waiting for my answer. I was already struggling with severe depression, for multiple reasons. I wanted to fall apart and cry so badly, the last thing I wanted to do was walk down the isle.

I also work in a medical office and one of my patients told me that I was "going to need a wheelbarrow" by the end of my pregnancy. I was about 6 months pregnant. Unfortunately, I carried my girls on the outside of my fat instead of being able to camoflauge the pregnancy within it, I made sure his testosterone injection was a little more painful then normal ;-)
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It was my birthday. Sitting at a table with 4 other girls, a guy comes up to flirt. He looks at each of us one at a time and says to #1, "You have beautiful eyes" #2 "Your hair is so soft and golden." #3 "You are a knock out!" #4 "Wow, your husband is a lucky man!" and then to me he pauses... "You... ... You probably have a great personality." The not-so-funny thing was that I was only about 5-10 pounds over weight at the time and hadn't really been that self conscious of it until then.
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    NO!
  • laurieblair2012
    Options
    I remember my mother once telling me that a particular dress I was wearing made me look "as big as the side of a barn."

When compared to my two sisters, there was always the older one, the middle one, and the big one. Guess which one I was.

I had a student in my classroom "moo" at me once.

I still think the times when I heard people describe me to others (friends, potential dates, etc) like "she has such a pretty face...and a great personality" sting a little.
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I am from Nigeria and according to my tribe's traditional an unmarried lady has to be thin before she gets married then she can gain weight because it reflects the husband's wealth basically saying he's rich enough to feed his wife and family.

My dad used to taunt me all the time growing up and literally would take food from my plate and say "What's the rush?wait till you are married before you get fat you are already more than halfway there".

I just thank God that I never had the will to be anorexic or bulimic and I had a temper to match his, so instead of crying I would literally go back to the kitchen and refill my plate and ate it right in front of him to his disgust.hehehe
  • lordsangel
    lordsangel Posts: 167
    Options
    You know I have never been overweight, but I cannot believe the comments from these "people". It really breaks my heart for those of you and themany more who have had these hurtful things said to them. Most of my family is somewhat - very overweight and I've heard my sister teased to the point where she decided drugs would be the only way she could lose weight and she did but also lost herself in the process. I apologize for those ignorant people. Do they really think that overweight ppl want to be that way? They're insane Keep your heads up!!
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Dad: "Jon, you know you're developing man boobs"

Me: "****"