worst comment ever made about your weight

Options

Replies

• StephySands
    Options
    I remember the first time I felt really fat and ugly was when I was 18 years old and I was working for a manufacturing co. on midnight shift. I worked with about 5 other ladies and one day they wanted to go to the shipping department and get on their big scales to see how much they weighed. I didn't want to but they talked me into it, I weighed 152 pounds (I see those numbers so clearly) and one lady said, "Stephanie!!!, I can't believe you weigh that much, Good grief" I instantly felt awful, fat and ugly......the next day I began my roller coaster, yo-yo dieting that would continue for 20 years........

I would give anything now to weight 152 pounds........
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My family has never had anything positive to say about my looks. I was an early bloomer and was always teased about having boobs - and I swear I am 36 and they are still growing. Never once have I heard anything positive. Hair too thin, acne too bad, no waist, skinny chicken legs. I am 5'4" and have gone from 112 lb anorexic gym rat to 161 lb not able to workout due to a nasty accident where I broke alot of bones. I am finally getting back into the gym and the weight is oh so slowly coming off. But I don't think I will ever like the way I look or what I see staring back at me in the mirror.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    these are all so horrible :( you guys are so strong for having endured all that ridicule and don't you EVER let anyone make you feel like you can't make a change or that you shouldn't make a change or that you are wasting anyones time and space. I am really proud of everyone for being here now and I really hope the comments you endure don't affect or continue to affect your daily life. Anyone whos says those kinds of things to or about people has something serious missing from their lives and God help them.
    I agree. Please consider the source when you hear a comment. Anyone who talks this way is truly not a happy person or someone who you shouldn't even care about what they have to say. I think for anyone to say something so blunt and hurtful to another has a very worse problem than being overweight. Too bad there wasn't a MFP forum that was for them. Instead of trying to get in all of their protein, they would have to get in their consideration, class, and being polite.
    Everyone here is doing something positive about their lives.
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Crap. Just come off my game after a couple of hours playing. A guy I've known on there for about 3 years found a photograph of me online somewhere, and graciously decided to tell me to my face that he doesn't want to be my friend anymore cause everytime he sees my name ingame he has that image of ''that fugly troll' in his head.

I replied: Yeah, but trolls get to be evil.
  • LorahJo
    LorahJo Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think my worst and most hurtful comment was made by my own Mother (who isn't slim herself but I guess knocks me down about my figure to feel better about hers)

It was a few years back now but she always used to take my younger (skinnier) sister out clothes shopping all the time and spoil her and come back with nothing for me. One day they came back with a smile on both faces saying she had purchased me something ... I was shocked and excited until she pulled out a scarf from the bag along with the comment " At least I know this scarf with fit it because nothing else does"

That comment still stays with me, it just really was uncalled for.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I think the hardest for me was when my husband said he was cheating on me because I was so fat...and this was 12 years ago before I actually got (really) fat. I weighed 203 then, got up to 323 after the affair, fought tooth and nail to get to where I am now (192) and I still can't shake that feeling of "not good enough".

Let's see...there was the skinny chick I went to church with that didn't realize I was (VERY) pregnant...with twins.

Most recently (just a few weeks/pounds ago), there was the cashier at wallyworld that flirted with my husband over ladies undies and then turned to me as asked when I was due. OUCH.
  • sezhep
    sezhep Posts: 57
    Options
    I have a few but the one that really sticks with me and what I blame for my messed up eating issues in my mid teens, was my best childhood friend's Nana.
    She was babysitting us one night when I was about 11. Can't even remember what the conversation went like, but I know she said something along the lines of "Ooh you're carrying a bit of weight, you want to be careful!"
    I was 11 years old?!?! and not fat at all, I might add. I was very active.
  • DanielleRN8
    DanielleRN8 Posts: 409
    Options
    I was overweight when I became pregnant (gained 20 pounds and then was diagnosed with hypothyroidism) and then gained another 42 pounds on top of that. When I was about 7 months along (I think I was about 200 pounds then) one of my hubby's friend's wives and I were talking about what we were going to dress up as for halloween (which was right before my due date.) I said, "I'm going to be nine months pregnant so that's going to limit my options." To which she replies, "You can be Jabba the Hut." This is also the same woman who told me to throw out all of my old clothes because I would never fit in them again. I'm so glad that she was right... They are now too small! :)
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    My ex Husband told me that no man would want to see me naked...

A bit of a kicker to my confidence to say the least
  • totallytasha
    totallytasha Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    From my mother, of all people. I believe I was about 13 at the time (she doesn't remember/won't admit to ever saying this), & she was dragging me to Burger King for dinner (I have NEVER liked Burger King, & at that age it's not like I had that much of a say in where we ate...)

"There's a difference between 'neat' fat & 'sloppy' fat, & you're getting into sloppy territory"

The kicker? I weighed 125 & was 5'3.5". I've been the same height since I was 12, & I didn't get 'fat' until I was in grade 9 (125 turned into 175 in about 6 months)

ETA: Oh god, the floodgates opened.
    My mom's friend commented on how I always seemed to have a boyfriend. My mom said "It's because she's a *kitten*". I overheard & protested, & my mother replied with "Well, it's obvious they're not with you for your looks - no one likes fat girls"

That is just messed up. No one should get that from their parent - ever.
  • Stardiva37
    Stardiva37 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    so true..and that is awesome:flowerforyou:
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    From ex wife:

* "You're so fat... you're wasting my youth! I am embarrassed to be seen with you"

* During sex, she stops me in the middle of it and runs to the toilet and starts gagging and then says I disgust her.

Random assorted things from the years

* Running at the park, I pass a slender girl in her 20s who is running ackwardly. One of those lucky people that obviously never really does any exercise or doesn't know how to run at the least, but stays looking in shape. Her boyfriend is in front of her and he sees me pass her and goes "oh no! HELL NO! There's no way you just let that fat f**k pass you! Get your *kitten* moving!" He was one of those alpha types with the gym rat bodies.

* Running at the park during soccer practice with my team. Group of college girls is running. One points at me and says "ewww look at his belly".

* Running at the park I pass a guy and his little girl who are running. She says "daddy why did you let the fat man pass you?" And he replies "shhhh honey we don't call people fat that's not nice"

* At the gym, I smiled at a girl who looked at me like I was a cockroach and said "dream on, I don't date fatties".

* At one of our irish pubs a couple years ago. I was standing waiting in line and this guy was trying to impress his college-aged girlfriend. He started making rude comments about how fat people need removed from the planet because they are in his way and taking up space and eating all of the food. The girl giggles.

* At the gym I was in a corner doing some dumbbell work and this precious Barbie with full make up is lifting with her boyfriend. She was seated next to the rack where the weights were. I was putting my weights away and had to move around her and she gets this annoyed look on her face, and then turns to her boyfriend and says in a mock-whisper (so that others can hear) "I can't stand going to the gym during this time, too many fat people here wasting everybody's time"

I have more. Those were the ones that stuck out this morning. Being fat is the equivalent of being a leper in the middle ages. It's pretty dehumanizing... but makes for great motivation and fuel for your workouts.

Oh my gosh... your post made me so sad. I want to just give you a hug. The world can be so cruel and hurtful - and geez, that park you run at sounds like it's full of a**holes.

I have had a few... probably plenty I didn't hear because they were behind my back. Sometimes it's not what people say, it's how they look at you - that's been my worst feeling.

Some of my 'fav' comments..

-When I was in elementary school, I had a huge crush on a guy in my class... then he called me a Sumo Wrestler and later said I was the size of a refrigerator... told me I was worthless and that no one would ever like me

- in middle school, a guy I rode the school bus with in the morning used to call me the Nutty Professor and would make fun of my every day of my life

- later I worked nearly 8 years for a prestigious company and my own boss used to make comments about me - sometimes to my face, sometimes to other people in the office, just loud enough that I'd hear it... like when they were constructing the new wing of the building, he said "man, it's so hot over there - You know the ventilation ducts are all open, maybe Holly fell in there and plugged it up' or 'Hey, the kitchen has leftover pie if anyone wants any - that is, if Holly doesn't get there first'. We had to wear blazers too and he picked my up, draped it over his 5'4 skinny frame and walked around the office pretending to stomp like a blob and told everyone that he could live in my blazer because it was so huge.

- at that same place, I started out as a waitress and one of the members I was waiting on pulled me aside and said 'honey, you're so pretty... just don't get any bigger" (I then went back into the kitchen and cried)

ahhh.... love it. I am so over that stuff now. Now's our time to get healthy, get in shape and move on *hugs*
  • NoMoreJellyRolls
    Options
    I have several! But the one that hurts the most is when I was 16 my panpaw passed away and we had him cremated and because he went to National cemetery you cant watch them be put in the ground

Anywho, My panpaw passing away REALLY took a toll on me and I became an emotional eater, after about a few years of not seeing many family members I ran into an uncle at my aunts and he said "wow you got fat, last time I saw you was at lawrence's funeral. Sure you didnt eat him? we didnt actually see him get buried you know!"

I was so upset and mad it took every fat bone in my body not to knock his *kitten* out!
  • Stardiva37
    Stardiva37 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    WOW your mom was harsh Here is a quote..."Let your haters be your motivators" keep doing you and don't sweat the small minded people out there.:flowerforyou:
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Let's see...

The 3 that stick out for me at the moment are:

1) My nickname in 5th grade was "Free Willy".

2) I was telling my best friend about a horrible date I went on and when I said "it was so bad, I just wanted to run away" he said "that's funny, because you know you can't run".

3) One of my guy friends that I had a crush on was over at my apartment hanging out. I was lying on the couch watching tv when suddenly he looked at me with a disgusted face and said "God, you are just SOOO fat".
  • cutethang1
    cutethang1 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant and was gearing up to tell the family and one member of the family says "oh youre getting fat"
  • JeepBrah
    JeepBrah Posts: 150
    Options
    Today when I trained my delts they told me Im to shredded and said my veins on my left shoulder were disgusting. :(
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Wow, i'm just deeply saddened by all of these! I guess that i'm lucky that i've never really encountered people being blatantly hateful! (i didn't gain weight until my 20's). I do however remember being in 6th grade and they were doing weight assessments in gym class and made every kid weigh in front of everyone else, they stated the weight out loud and mine was 116 pounds (i was 5'4 at age 12- the same height i am now). One of the boys called me fat which is crazy because i was tiny but i think i was the first girl in our class to hit puberty! The only other time i can recall was hearing that a guy i had already hooked up with had told his friends that i would be "really hot" if i lost some weight...i was a good 50 pounds lighter than i am now! Just shocked by the cruelty people have in their hearts sometimes
  • Prefessa
    Prefessa Posts: 90
    Options
    The one that come to mind...

My Boss....."I am so glad we don't pay you by the pound!"

My Wife....Where do we go next to shop for clothes for you....."Omar the Tent Maker??"

My Ex Pulmonologist....After telling me that dropping some weight would help with Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Me: When do I schedule my follow up appt?? "Call me when you can see your shoes"
  • caritiger
    caritiger Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    From ex wife:

* "You're so fat... you're wasting my youth! I am embarrassed to be seen with you"

* During sex, she stops me in the middle of it and runs to the toilet and starts gagging and then says I disgust her.

Random assorted things from the years

* Running at the park, I pass a slender girl in her 20s who is running ackwardly. One of those lucky people that obviously never really does any exercise or doesn't know how to run at the least, but stays looking in shape. Her boyfriend is in front of her and he sees me pass her and goes "oh no! HELL NO! There's no way you just let that fat f**k pass you! Get your *kitten* moving!" He was one of those alpha types with the gym rat bodies.

* Running at the park during soccer practice with my team. Group of college girls is running. One points at me and says "ewww look at his belly".

* Running at the park I pass a guy and his little girl who are running. She says "daddy why did you let the fat man pass you?" And he replies "shhhh honey we don't call people fat that's not nice"

* At the gym, I smiled at a girl who looked at me like I was a cockroach and said "dream on, I don't date fatties".

* At one of our irish pubs a couple years ago. I was standing waiting in line and this guy was trying to impress his college-aged girlfriend. He started making rude comments about how fat people need removed from the planet because they are in his way and taking up space and eating all of the food. The girl giggles.

* At the gym I was in a corner doing some dumbbell work and this precious Barbie with full make up is lifting with her boyfriend. She was seated next to the rack where the weights were. I was putting my weights away and had to move around her and she gets this annoyed look on her face, and then turns to her boyfriend and says in a mock-whisper (so that others can hear) "I can't stand going to the gym during this time, too many fat people here wasting everybody's time"

I have more. Those were the ones that stuck out this morning. Being fat is the equivalent of being a leper in the middle ages. It's pretty dehumanizing... but makes for great motivation and fuel for your workouts.

WOW! That is just horrifying! I can't believe people can be so nasty. I am sorry you have had to go through that.