worst comment ever made about your weight

Options

Replies

• caritiger
    caritiger Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wow - these are all so horrible. For me.. any nasty comments have been forgotten. I have enough issues with my own negative self-talk and telling myself how fat I am. I don't need to listen to others bad comments. That being said, it always bugged me when people made the comment, "You have such a beautiful face!" What and the rest of me is chopped liver.

The worst part is, my MIL is horrible about making fat comments... and she really isn't one to be talking. It saddens me and disgusts me. The person you are making the fat comments too, might have lost more weight already than you have dreamed of. If you don't know - shut the mouth.

I agree about the negative self-talk-- the worst things that have been said to me were said to myself, but that is a thing of the past!
  • 1234getgoing
    Options
    How sad!! Too bad you met a full time jerk! You are better off without him!
  • caritiger
    Options
    I overheard a jerk at the beach once, trying to be a big man in front of his buddies. An overweight woman was passing, and he says to them, "Hey guys... that girl is a 10... on the RICHTER Scale." Idiot.
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Since about middle school, all I heard from my mom was you're too fat! You need to lose weight! Now that Im proactive and have lost over 50 pounds, I got a call from her asking if I was on drugs since I am losing so much weight for the first time in my life.

I've also had the "when are you due" and from kids "why are you so fat...oh never mind, that's the way God made you."
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I was teased so constantly in elementary and middle school that I've blocked a lot of it out. Evidently I became funny and likable from it, at least that's what my folks say. Maybe they're right, but it could be because they raised me right. My mom has made some comments from time to time, although I know her intention is to be helpful (things like buying me a scale, etc). She's struggled with her weight, and I don't know how I could have grown up if I had a mom like some of the ones referenced here.

I lost a bunch of weight in high school and then all the boys started to pay attention. I ended up really angry over it and wouldn't date anyone I went to school with. To this day, no one says anything mean to me which is worse than what I say to myself.

Despite that, the worst things I can remember (from later on in life):

After coming back from my first year of college, and working at the gym I worked at in high school:

Sea hag: Oh, I see you did what my daughter did after her first year of college
    Me: Huh?
    Sea hag: Gained a bunch of weight.

I went to the bathroom and cried. She actually apologized, but I could never look at her again.

About two years ago, at a new years eve block party in my neighborhood (which we did not go to on purpose; we were driving home after midnight and the group ran down the street and begged us to come over because we're the young cool kids in the neighborhood and never hang out). They had a bunch of jello shots in different colors, and kept saying "make sure you give her the yellow one - it's the strongest."

Next door neighbor: Here you go, you have to have this one, your husband can have a different color
    Me: oh - no thanks, I've already been drinking, and I'm kind of a lightweight
    Next door neighbor: Um, not really

What a jerk. I agree on the sentiment that sometimes it's not what said, but what is not said. Just last year I had a group of 20somethings pointing at me while I was out to talk about my weight, and also had a guy pretend to spit on me to impress some of his girlfriends. I will admit, however, that it was kind of fun spinning around, getting right in his face, and threatening to beat the **** out of him. He freaked out so bad and said he "did it because he liked me," to which I replied, bull**** - you did it because you have no class, and you thought it would impress these two girls. My guess is they won't be impressed now that they see that you're scared to get beat up by me. The girls apologized for him and said he was really drunk. I was nice to them and told them to take him away from me. I saw them later that night - guess who was not with them.

Just a note - I don't condone violence (excluding self defense) and wouldn't have done anything to the guy unless he actually spat on me - I would have then defended myself :)
  • Eccendentesiast
    Options
    The majority of rude comments, have in reality just been dirty looks, pointing at my stomach, and laughing. From when I was about 8-11 years old (when I gained weight, before that I was always really skinny), my mom worked at a gas station and we're really good friends with the manager, so I came with my mom and helped her out sort of, mainly just hung out with her. I'd be standing behind the counter and these other girls would point at me and just laugh and laugh.
    Then at girls camp when I was 12, these group of "popular girls" treated me like *kitten* because of my weight. But at 12 years old, and 5'7" in height, I was only 150 pounds....
    Since I was 11 I've kind of been silently teased about my weight. Which sound stupid, but I can read peoples faces and expressions really well, and I have over heard their comments, I just don't remember many.
    Then one time, same age and weight/height, my brother said to me "I might have skinny legs but at least I'm not some balloon lady like you"
    That stung.
    My mom always told me I needed to loose weight, too, but at least she did it nicely.
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    When my 5 yr old grandson said "Grammee, you have a fat butt". I explained to him that nice people don't say things like that. I knew he was telling the truth, most little ones see truth.
  • caritiger
    Options
    Two others I remember-- wow, wish I didn't. In high school I was helping in a production and something fell off the stage. I jumped down to get it, and a bunch of guys pretended I had caused an earthquake. And one boy once said, "I better not make you mad, you might sit on me." :(

15405351.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I can't remember all the comments made about my weight but my biggest bully was my step-mother. I remember one time when I was maybe 10 or 11 and going through a growth spurt- it was a few hours after lunch and I was hungry. So I grabbed a peice of leftover pizza from the fridge. She said to me "If you eat one more peice of pizza you're going to grow up to be blimpola!" She constantly tortured me about my weight and criticized everything I ate and tried convincing me I needed to go on the latest fad diet.

I remember sitting in the car with her one time while my dad ran into the store and an obese couple were walking across the parking. She started saying horribly offensive things about them and I scolded her for it. She was like "Well they can't hear me!" Makes me wonder what she says behind my back.

One of the worst things is when my dad and step mom took me out to dinner for my 16th birthday. They criticized everything I ate and freaked out when I ordered mashed potatoes instead of a different vegetable. Then they got in a screaming match while they were driving me back to my mom's house. Worst. Birthday. Ever.
  • acresfield
    acresfield Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Mine was a 'motivational' comment from my mum a few years ago. We were visiting them for the weekend and I was eating cereal, and as cereal manufacturers do to make you eat more, they had marked the bowl with three lines saying 'gold, silver and bronze portions.

My mum walked past and said " shoot for the bronze fatso".

The cereal actually turned to concrete in my mouth and we found an excuse to leave that day. It was several years before we stayed over again.

Thing is my mum is a really lovely person and this was a very uncharacteristic comment which is what made it all the worse!
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Two others I remember-- wow, wish I didn't. In high school I was helping in a production and something fell off the stage. I jumped down to get it, and a bunch of guys pretended I had caused an earthquake. And one boy once said, "I better not make you mad, you might sit on me." :(

15405351.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

The earthquake ones are the worst, IMO. I can't even remember anything specific...there are so many, they've just kind of run together. But I know I heard the "earthquake" and "Don't sit one me!" ones a bunch of times.

Oh, when I was in 8th grade, I made a joke about trying out for the high school football team and one guy in my class said that I could be the whole defense.

After my ex-fiance and I broke up, we tried staying friends for awhile. We both joined gyms and started losing weight/toning up. One day while we were hanging out he commented that I'd have a great figure once I lost all the extra weight.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    people can be so cruel, can't they?! i don't understand what is wrong with some people.

i just remember my ex boyfriend ALWAYS made comments about my weight - compared me to thinner girls, called me fat, and would comment when i'd eat with him or in front of him. coming from someone i was deeply in love with. someone who i was intimate with. someone who saw me for everything i was.

don't you think it goes to show how materialistic and poisonous some people can be?

Hmmm sounds like we went out with the same guy! :laugh:
  • caritiger
    Options
    people can be so cruel, can't they?! i don't understand what is wrong with some people.

i just remember my ex boyfriend ALWAYS made comments about my weight - compared me to thinner girls, called me fat, and would comment when i'd eat with him or in front of him. coming from someone i was deeply in love with. someone who i was intimate with. someone who saw me for everything i was.

don't you think it goes to show how materialistic and poisonous some people can be?

Hmmm sounds like we went out with the same guy! :laugh:

A friend of mine's boyfriend actually said to her, "If you gain 10 more pounds I won't love you anymore." Another friend's husband always told her how fat and unlovable she was (size3). My ex used to sabotage me-- when I would lose weight, he would tell me how sick I looked and encourage me to eat the worst things. We all soon wised up-- then we called ourselves "The Curb Kickin Club." :laugh:
  • AlyssaHan
    AlyssaHan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    1. When I was about 12 or 13 (I've always been heavier than most people at school), my mom, my sister, and I were sitting in the kitchen and they felt like saying, "You'd be so gorgeous if you lost the weight! Everyone would envy you for your features," would be a compliment. That one hurt coming from my family.

2. My boyfriend said to me a few months ago when we were talking about our types, "I used to only like athletic girls, but I don't really mind that much anymore."

3. I was in the hospital visiting my grandmother with other family because she was about to die from old age. My cousin wanted privacy, so we all went out into the hallway. A priest had come to bless her or something, and he was in the hallway too. He looked at me and asked, "Are you with child?" As if visiting my dying grandmother weren't depressing enough. I started crying. He later asked how old I was and looked really sorry when I told him I was 17. I started on MFP a few days later lol....
  • shipleyd
    shipleyd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Was in a fitting room one day with my daughter (around 4 at the time) and she turned and looked at me in my bra and underwear and said, "oh mom, that is not pretty at all."

I really don't fault my hubby for this one but it still hurt my feelings even though he had no intention of doing it or even realized he had done it. While watching biggest loser one night a few years ago all the contestants were weighing in. it was probably a little more than half way through the season and they had lost a lot of weigh so I'm thinking that they are starting to look pretty good. One of the girls weight in and he said , "she would be really cute if she lost another 20-30lbs." She weight exactly what i did at that very moment. (he has never said anything about my weight and was with me when I was 100llbs lighter. He always tells me I'm sexy so i forgive him..lol

My MIL who on two different visits thought it was appropriate to point out all the weight I had gained since her last visit. I know this is wrong but man was I happy on the next visit when SHE had gained 40lbs.
  • TheMissingSock
    Options
    when I was in high school my brother would say "poor baby cow" to me. my mom would laugh.

when i was 31yrs old my dad told me that i needed to lose weight if i ever "hoped to get a man."
  • Cbegan
    Cbegan Posts: 1
    Options
    I longboard and at a slide competition I fell pretty badly.
    Anyways, I got back up and kept skating the rest of the day.
    Later, I watched a video someone posted of the competition and they happened to include the clip where I fell.
    To my utter horror, after I fell, someone shouted after me quite loudly "Muffin top!"
    I guess my shirt rode up when I fell.
    Seeing that devastated me and I cried for a while.
    But it's also what finally got me to start working out. That was two months ago and since then I only drink water, became vegan, and have lost 13 pounds.
  • ChubbyStudent25
    Options
    I have never been overweight but I have still gotten a few mean comments that really stuck with me. When I was 16 my mom told me to weigh myself because I looked like I gained weight so I did and I was 112 lbs and when I told her she said "Really!" like I looked so much bigger she couldn't believe it. Also about 6 months later a boy on my school bus asked if I was pregnant and I said no do I look pregnant and he just shrugged his shoulders.
  • Kristin_1979
    Kristin_1979 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Agreed... I'm sorry but that was just incredibly insensitive of your Mom, and completely thoughtless... I'm sorry you felt so bad. I just got married last Saturday and I know how you feel.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My ex Husband told me that no man would want to see me naked...

Um, what? I guess he doesn't know men or himself too much. Even if some wouldn't want to see [insert whatever here] naked, a lot would want to see [insert same thing here] naked.

So . . .

Just sayin. :)